Secret meetings and projjects

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (18)

Dominique in Norcross, Georgia

88 months ago

A number of employees are hand-picked for certain meetings and projects over and over again and this is unprofessional. How the picking is done behoves me, but unless the information from the meetings is shared among all the staff. this can initiate division and a breakdown of soladority among associates. Everyone should get an opportunity to attend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (91) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dc in indiana

88 months ago

Dominique in Norcross, Georgia said: A number of employees are hand-picked for certain meetings and projects over and over again and this is unprofessional. How the picking is done behoves me, but unless the information from the meetings is shared among all the staff. this can initiate division and a breakdown of soladority among associates. Everyone should get an opportunity to attend.

Don't get your hopes up in thinking that this company will do the right thing; WellPoint knows nothing about doing the right thing. If it is illegal and they can get away with it - they are encourged by corporate office to treat employees like trash, so they will quit, so they don't have to pay unemployment insurance; while eliminating "BIG" salaries They are full of you know what

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (89) / No Reply - Report abuse

aa in indiana

88 months ago

I interviewed with them and got this feeling. Everything about the interviewed seemed not right. There is no way to prepare for their interview. I believe they are looking for people they can control and I was not one of them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (87) / No Reply - Report abuse

MLW in Hinsdale, Illinois

87 months ago

For the cinci area, their salary ranges seem incredibly low. Does anyone else agree?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (83) / No Reply - Report abuse

Norma

87 months ago

dc in indiana said: Don't get your hopes up in thinking that this company will do the right thing; WellPoint knows nothing about doing the right thing. If it is illegal and they can get away with it - they are encourged by corporate office to treat employees like trash, so they will quit, so they don't have to pay unemployment insurance; while eliminating "BIG" salaries They are full of you know what

I am one of the thousands of employees that was treated like "trash". I appealed a denial of Unemployment Benefits and I won!! You should have seen the look on the face of the deputy who heard my case, when the HR rep. they sent was explaining their absenteeism, paid time off, and accrued vacation policies. You never even saw an HR rep. after orientation. They didn't call meetings to let you know about policy changes, anything. What do they DO there anyway? They sure aren't looking out for the employees' best interests.
Horrible place to work, absolutely zero compassion or respect for any of their employees. One associate who had been there for over 20 years (So. Portland ME) told me she had an auto accident on the way to work, which made her an hour or two late. They hit her with a half day of "unapproved" time off for being late, despite the circumstances. This was a woman who had a perfect attendance record from year to year.
Better to work at MacDonalds' than this miserly, crappy joint.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (97) / No Reply - Report abuse

dasuprrn@yahoo.com in Atlanta, Georgia

86 months ago

I interviewed telephonically from NY on a Thursday in June '07 and was asked to come in for a face to face meeting in GA that following Monday; This was for a director level position. New suit, shoes, immaculate grooming, all ducks in a row, right? Needless to say, I didn't get the position and the recruiter's feedback from WP was that I had a scrunchy in my hair! I am not disgruntled because I landed a superior position elsewhere but the fact remains that no matter how you look or how great your presentation skills are, you are subject to an interviewer's feelings of inadequacy or intimidation. I guess I came over as one who could not be controlled, as someone previously wrote on this blog.I am convinced that after reading some of your comments that WP was not the place for me. I did see recently that a VP position over the area that I was to report to is looking for another person. Maybe my interviewer's inadequacies caught up to her!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (91) / No Reply - Report abuse

pk in Sacramento, California

86 months ago

I work for a Subsidiary of Wellpoint and the communication process is a joke. Our division is about ready to close down. I don't know how it is a regular WP office but ours was a joke. Too much with people getting away with taking time off and not using the time they accrued or the abuse of their position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (86) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Madison, Wisconsin

86 months ago

What's a "scrunchy"? And how offensive could it have been? (unless it was the size of a tribble)...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dasuprrn now in GA in Atlanta, Georgia

86 months ago

Dave in Madison, Wisconsin said: What's a "scrunchy"? And how offensive could it have been? (unless it was the size of a tribble)...

A scrunchy is a ponytail holder and yes, how offensive could it have been? My friends and colleagues say that the interviewer may have felt intimidated in some way. Maybe because we are both women and nurses and nurses are known to eat their young!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No Reply - Report abuse

UM

76 months ago

dasuprrn now in GA in Atlanta, Georgia said: A scrunchy is a ponytail holder and yes, how offensive could it have been? My friends and colleagues say that the interviewer may have felt intimidated in some way. Maybe because we are both women and nurses and nurses are known to eat their young!

I worked at Anthem for 8 years. When I saw this blog on "Secret Meetings" it really hit home. The deparment I worked in seemed corrupt, for lack of a better word. The VP, Assistants, HR - were way too close for comfort. Everything was a "secret" alot of whispering - extremely unprofessional. I feel I couldn't get ahead because of certain people, but try to prove it! Oh, I could have gone to Compliance, that's confidential.....right? It's not, and retaliation does exist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (67) / No Reply - Report abuse

IT was a joke in Hamden, Connecticut

74 months ago

UM......you said it all. To climb the ladder at Anthem, it was all about "who" you knew, not what you knew. There are people that should NOT be in positions they are in; they are, because the played the game - and played it well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beth-Chesterfield, VA

73 months ago

aa in indiana said: I interviewed with them and got this feeling. Everything about the interviewed seemed not right. There is no way to prepare for their interview. I believe they are looking for people they can control and I was not one of them.

I have been unemployed for awhile, and was looking for something full-time that I could do, when I thought to put an application in with Wellpoint. I was so looking forward to it, when I started reading everyones comments about the company. I was really surprized at the majority of negative comments, and now I'm rethinking my choice....any ideas?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No Reply - Report abuse

NAD in Boxford, Massachusetts

73 months ago

It's a horrible company and there's nothing positive to say about it, except how good it feels to leave it. However, if you want to be treated like you are immediately expendable, from your first day there, and enjoy being treated with absolutely no respect at all, go for it. Otherwise, definitely look elsewhere.

Beth-Chesterfield, VA said: I have been unemployed for awhile, and was looking for something full-time that I could do, when I thought to put an application in with Wellpoint. I was so looking forward to it, when I started reading everyones comments about the company. I was really surprized at the majority of negative comments, and now I'm rethinking my choice....any ideas?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beth-Chesterfield, VA

73 months ago

Thanks for the reply. I have totally changed my mind, and will be looking elsewhere for a (hopefully) good job.

NAD in Boxford, Massachusetts

73 months ago

Good for you, Beth!
I've been working for over 30 years now, and I have to say, without qualification, that Anthem/Wellpoint was the worst company I have EVER worked for.
Good luck on your job search.

Beth-Chesterfield, VA

73 months ago

Nad,

Thanks for the "at-a-girl"! I will continue my all day searches...I sure hope I find something that will really be a good fit. Thanks to this great web-site, and everyones input, I know where I WON'T apply.

Thanks again Very Much,

gnote in Los Angeles, California

16 months ago

aa in indiana said: I interviewed with them and got this feeling. Everything about the interviewed seemed not right. There is no way to prepare for their interview. I believe they are looking for people they can control and I was not one of them.

I think you hit the head on the head with you comment. I had to most controlling, deceitful manager. I wish my gut feelings had been working at my interview and I had never signed up to work at this horror of a company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

gnote in Los Angeles, California

16 months ago

NAD in Boxford, Massachusetts said: Good for you, Beth!
I've been working for over 30 years now, and I have to say, without qualification, that Anthem/Wellpoint was the worst company I have EVER worked for.
Good luck on your job search.

I totally agree. I have been in the workforce about as long as you have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.