What's the company culture at Yellow Book?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (28)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Yellow Book?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Yellow Book?

Reply - Report abuse

newyphire in California

102 months ago

My experience from working at Yellow Book is that you are a Nomad at Yellow Book! You operate on your own and mostly out of your car. I worked in my office for 6 months and have no idea what the last names were of my co-workers. It's very cut-throat and you have to protect your new contacts because they will get stolen by other reps. Even though management states that you are your own "independent contractor" that is not true. They constantly keep track of your whereabouts at least 5-6 times a day, have daily morning and afternoon sales meetings, and will call you in on weekends to work...you have no choice...even if you are one of their Top Sales Reps! If you don't show, you'll be written up!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

db

98 months ago

I work for yellowbook and I am an AE. I am not micromanaged. I have to be in the office one morning a week for our sales meeting and once in a while for other things like submitting paperwork. I have complete autonomy because I do my job and do it well. I recently went to Cancun on the presidents club all expense paid trip.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

losangelesgal in Sherman Oaks, California

94 months ago

men in full suits, business casual for women. full on take out meals during the once a week meetings and generally a fun office environment

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Yellobrix in Alabama

91 months ago

It used to be fun... now it's awful. When I started in fall 2007, the money was flowing, we were closing a big book and we had breakfast on Mon & Thurs morning meetings, we had surprise outings, we had a lavish holiday party, all sorts of contests with prizes big & small.

Then something happened in the late winter or early spring of 2008. Whatever was said to upper management wasn't communicated to the sales people and perhaps not even to the front line managers. But the head of our office certainly had a mood change and I could see a definite difference in the frequency & duration of eye contact, less "friendly encouragement" was given to people as they passed through the hallways, humorous banter disappeared, and the decorations that went up for one contest just sat there month after month. The heart was cut out at the top, only nobody seemed to really notice...

Then, as summer came to a close and I was approaching the one year mark, I took out the phone list from when I was hired and realized that well over half of those people were gone. Many people were being called on the carpet even though they were ranked well on all the reports, yet a so-called top rep who had gone 9 months with only 2 or 3 new sales was not among those targeted. Suddenly, it became a mix of both actual numbers and favoritism, and now so many have either been terminated or will be, or have quit.

It's easy to say that if reps were terminated, it's because they failed to hit their numbers, but that's only part of the story. In my office, only about 3 people hit their numbers, so if only 10% of a business can do what is asked, maybe it's not the reps - Yellowbook WANTS the reps to fail so they can churn, churn, churn the personnel.

The best thing about my year at YB is that I got job offers from my customers (or even from businesses that did not buy from me) about every 3-4 weeks. The training was great, and it's mine to keep forever.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

yellowbook worker let go in toms river, New Jersey

91 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Yellow Book?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

a typical day in the life of a yellowbook employee stinks!!!

no matter how hard you work or how many accounts you bring in it is NEVER enough.

I was one of the 1000+ employees that were let go on 11/14. No warning, no severence, no answer as to how it was decided which positions were "eliminated". No rhyme or reason to the way it was decided as to who gets to go and who gets to stay. In some of the new jersey offices the top performers were let go. Go figure. The reps in my office got together and we looked over the reports, apparently the cuts were arbitrary. People with fewer new sales, lower renewal rates and NO webreach sales kept their jobs. The newest employees were kept and long term workers were shown the door.

The remaining sales reps in my office have been told that if they call in for two consecutive days that they have not gotten either a renewal or new sale, their job performance will be "looked at".

Nobody in the office was anywhere near having 24 sales by december 31st, so are they going to cut everybody's salary to $15K and just wait for them to quit?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Walsh in New Jersey

91 months ago

In Response to Yellobrix in Alabama........

Very well written, and very honest on how things go at Yellow Turd. Many of the very best people at YT were let go because of favoritism, and crappy management.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

eyeswideropennow in Cleveland, Ohio

91 months ago

In response to Yellobrix in AL.....

Eloquent words...coated in truth and wisdom.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

axed in Philly, Pennsylvania

91 months ago

The mamangers and executives are grossly overpaid. While all businesses are down, and people are reluctant to spend as much on ads (go figure).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

grz in Jersey City, New Jersey

90 months ago

In response to some of the postings.. yellowbook has indeed let go of half of the sales staff...DSM's are now out selling... what is puzzling is that they are probably spending another 30 million on new commercials that do not even address their core product(print) and will have no talented sales reps left to sell the leads that are generated by the commercials..How bout cut back a few NFL ads, and save peoples jobs?? Funny thing, locally Yellowbook still has job openings for my exact position for which I was let go on their website...oh well

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Don't Bash Yellow Book in Potomac, Ontario

88 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Yellow Book?

I think it depends on your RSM and DSM. Our office is pretty laid back, and I often host after work events at my house. I know all of my co-workers, we go out on blitz days together help on another close and I don't sense any real cut throat stuff. I feel bad for those who responded that they are so unhappy in their offices. Maybe someone who stayed for less than a year isn't a good person to listen too.

My office use to take us on all sort of outings, but unlike those company's asking for federal help, Yellow Book paid out of pocket for our outtings and now that the well isn't running as wet . . . We no longer do happy hours and stuff like baseball games. Just know the company truly values the good employees and the negative ones they hopefully find employment somewhere else. I am a happy YB employee.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

antler man in Minnesota

88 months ago

I started with the company over two years ago. At that point they had alot of great sales contests, bonuses and lots of incentives to sell. Now all of that is gone. The company has great products to sell and I enjoy working with my fellow sales people. But if the company is not willing to pay a decent salary and good payouts on new sales and increase they will lose their top salespeople.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

I hear you, the good ole days are gone . . . But at least we have jobs! I am grateful for employment so I pick my battles wisely. We just got a better comp plan about three weeks ago. I won't say what but we are rolling in the dough with renewal, increase and new sales now! I made $800 on a new sale last week and all he purchased was a menu.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

antler man in Minnesota

88 months ago

Don't Bash Yellow Book in Potomac, Ontario said: I hear you, the good ole days are gone . . . But at least we have jobs! I am grateful for employment so I pick my battles wisely. We just got a better comp plan about three weeks ago. I won't say what but we are rolling in the dough with renewal, increase and new sales now! I made $800 on a new sale last week and all he purchased was a menu.

We just got our new comp plan. It did not work out so great for me. I was just recently promoted and I expected my salary to increase but it got cut. They also cut our new sales payout and increase payouts. They did raise the renewal but that does give much incentive to sell new or go for big increases.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Yeah, that would suck. Don't you think things could be worse and I know it's not fair of me to say that but at least we have jobs when so many people are suffering.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

heathercopeland in Monroe, Louisiana

88 months ago

The environment is different from office to office from what I hear. I work 3 books and I travel 6 months out of the year. The first few months were very laid back and then my managers started requested call logs and we have meeting every morning and have to report back in by 4:30 every day. I have also noticed the change in the "humor" in the office. Managers are having more closed door meetings and they don't have as much fun as they did when I first started. I, too, found out most of the people in my training class have left or been laid off before completing a year. My office has had 2 people leave and with the hiring freeze I think my job is safe for now, but I'm beginning to wonder. I didn't make my first book but I did make this book..however, I made it because I signed a big account. I still missed the number of new sales. So, long story short...I'm scared I will be next in the big lay-offs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

joeblow4 in austin, Texas

78 months ago

Yellowbook stinks badly, not only do they screw the employees they screw the customers as well, I was a president club winner as well went to Cancun blah blah blah..... I left last march with a very bad taste in my mouth the numbers they say they pull from yellowbook.com false! just copy and paste this link and compare it to any site out there (trends.google.com/websites?q=yellowbook.com%2C+&geo=all&date=all&sort=0). Have you heard this one? Yellowbook.com top 100 sites? www.alexa.com/topsites/countries/US ranked 1,281 here you go www.alexa.com/siteinfo/yellowbook.com

Don't even get me started on Webreach if you want a pay per click program that you have no control over, can't choose or even have a say in your keywords and pay twice the cost per click then sign up with them. ALL THEY HAVE IS bs to sell thats it.

If you are thinking to work for or advertise with them RUN AWAY VERY FAST and don't fall for their BS, smoke and mirrors....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

RARS in Pine Bluff, Arkansas

76 months ago

Yellow Book has many issues and it biggest is its self, I worked for YB for many years and its culture has changed. Jim Mc has to go, he has put friends in high spots throughout the company and they all are horrible. Any manager, VP, etc. related to Mccloud or Transwestern must reinterview and chances are will be termed! These companies were possibly the worst run companies in history and now YB is run by them. No more hiring washed up sales reps, YB use to get the best now they get scraps left over by copier and uniform companies. There is a lot more that could be done and this could go on all day, the main thing YB could do is have Joe Walsh get control again instead of being the Yellow Page poster boy. In the 90's and the early 00's joe had YB running like a fine tuned machine, today its the blame game starting with Jim Mc and moving downhill, once McCloud or TW gets it it's too late. Oh I forgot - Charts, Grafts, Benchmarks etc are waisting the companies time and money- McCloud ran their company into the ground this way and sure enough they are doing the same to YB. YB could be great again!! but I doubt it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Overboard on the East Coast in Southington, Connecticut

76 months ago

Yes, Yellow Book has issues but they were all self created by management at YB! The company is severely lacking in integrity and that comes directly from their leadership team in both the local and corporate offices.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Yellow Guy in Ormond Beach, Florida

70 months ago

I am thinking about interviewing for a yellowbook sales position in Bunnell, FL. The base pay is only $17000 + car allowance. But, the recruiter swears to me that all the reps are making over 60,000 and that the top people are approaching six digits. I am currently working for another company doing sales and my base pay is $28,000, but the commision plan is horrible. I make very little off of each sale. I will be lucky to make $35,00 this year with commissions even though I was told when I started my current job that most reps were making 60,000+ (everyone in my office agrees I was lied to, most are making 30,000-40,000 at most). So I don't want to leave my current company and put a ton of miles on my car if the recruiter for yellowbook is not being truthful either . Anyone else have an estimate of realistic first year earnings ? Also I would appreciate any opinions on office enviroment, work hours etc. Thank you for your help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

i have moved on to greener pastures in New Jersey

70 months ago

Yellow Guy in Ormond Beach, Florida said: I am thinking about interviewing for a yellowbook sales position in Bunnell, FL. The base pay is only $17000 + car allowance. But, the recruiter swears to me that all the reps are making over 60,000 and that the top people are approaching six digits. I am currently working for another company doing sales and my base pay is $28,000, but the commision plan is horrible. I make very little off of each sale. I will be lucky to make $35,00 this year with commissions even though I was told when I started my current job that most reps were making 60,000+ (everyone in my office agrees I was lied to, most are making 30,000-40,000 at most). So I don't want to leave my current company and put a ton of miles on my car if the recruiter for yellowbook is not being truthful either . Anyone else have an estimate of realistic first year earnings ? Also I would appreciate any opinions on office enviroment, work hours etc. Thank you for your help.

Stay where you are now. You don't want to go from the frying pan into the fire which is what you would be doing if you left your current position and took a job with yellowbook.

70 months ago

I will tell you that things have changed at Yellow Book. Depending on where you live print advertising is all but dead. Yellow Book hasn't began to get competitive with online advertising. My customers love me and I made good money while at Yellow Book, but I grew tired of hearing "Nobody uses the book anymore".

The company allows inexperienced managers to run good people with great selling skills running away. This company is evil when you sever ties they steal commission. I once bled yellow but now I see red when I think of Yellowbook!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Yellow Bellies in Oceanside, New York

69 months ago

Ok,

As of this time I have no isues with working at Yellowbook. However, it is a very stressful sales job and requires stamina that most people may not have. There are times when I get very frustrated but all in all I think it is a fairly good sales job. I have autonomy. I probably speak to my manager about 3-4 times a day, because I call him with questions and information requests. There is plenty of friendly encouragement from the management. I do see several things...take it for good or bad, I will lay out both pros and cons. I see very experienced very professional sales represetnativs selling print adviterising, which remains a great product. They have been doing it for years. Yellowbook introduced new products over the past year, search engine marketing to be exact and this product is something every business should, at the very least examine if not purchase. Some of the more tenured reps. have not embraced or made a big attempt at embracing the new product. They think it is overly complex to understand when it is not. With their wisdom and experience these reps. will be a force to reckon with when they finally fully understand what the products can do, and even now I would put them up against the best and brightest at any other company. If you don't innovate or add to your product set you will fail as a business. As for the management, I am not sure what to say beyond what I have posted here. I did have one guy try to steal an account from me but he was fired a day later for disciplinary reasons so taking accounts would seem to be something that isn't tolerated. It's like any other business, protect yourself, be liked by everone and trust no one. I would give the same advice no matter where I was working. So far I don't see the culture as overly cut throat, but I adhere to my own advice. you need to have computer sklls to work here, this isn't your grandfathers yellowbook.

Yellow Bellies in Oceanside, New York

69 months ago

newyphire in California said: My experience from working at Yellow Book is that you are a Nomad at Yellow Book! You operate on your own and mostly out of your car. I worked in my office for 6 months and have no idea what the last names were of my co-workers. It's very cut-throat and you have to protect your new contacts because they will get stolen by other reps. Even though management states that you are your own "independent contractor" that is not true. They constantly keep track of your whereabouts at least 5-6 times a day, have daily morning and afternoon sales meetings, and will call you in on weekends to work...you have no choice...even if you are one of their Top Sales Reps! If you don't show, you'll be written up!

Why did't you take a look at the company roster and do a name association so you could get to know them? You could have called them to say hello, and introduce yourself from time to time. I think maybe they might have wante to get to know you too. We have one meeting a week on Monday and then on occasion we have an additional meeting (training, planning etc...) managers conduct their reviews in the feild on a weekly travel day with their reps. I speak to my manager 3-4 times a daya or more. Why, because I call him with questions, or I call into to company support for the answers my customers need whe I don't know something. I will say that Yellowbook provides training resources and suppot to their reps. in the sense that you could just pick up the phone and get a support person almost immideatly if you have technical/product questions regarding all products. There have been days when I haven't spoken to my manger, he does not call me relentlessly. It is a STRESSFUL job and management knows it, we have had to date a beach party, a summer picnic softball tournament (very fun), to decompress. They send you out on sales blitzes 2 days a week from a resturant with breakfast when we do them, that is an additional meeting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Overboard on the East Coast in Cheshire, Connecticut

69 months ago

In my opinion sales management is responsible for creating a team environment. This is obviously not happening in many areas across the country. Yellow Book as a company is also moving away from office settings, shutting down or drastically downsizing office space. Media Consultants will have to share desks/phones because there wont be enough for each employee to have one of their own. Beach parties and summer picnics do not make up for all this company is lacking.

Possible YellowBook Career?? in Baltimore, Maryland

69 months ago

Don't Bash Yellow Book in Potomac, Ontario said: I will tell you that things have changed at Yellow Book. Depending on where you live print advertising is all but dead. Yellow Book hasn't began to get competitive with online advertising. My customers love me and I made good money while at Yellow Book, but I grew tired of hearing "Nobody uses the book anymore".

The company allows inexperienced managers to run good people with great selling skills running away. This company is evil when you sever ties they steal commission. I once bled yellow but now I see red when I think of Yellowbook!

I have been reading your comments on job boards and you once seemed to fight for YB's reputation and now you seemed to have changed your mind. May I ask what has sparked this change for you?

Don't Bash Yellow Book in Germantown, Maryland

69 months ago

If you're considering working for Yellow Book, I hope you are okay with being bashed. Management is pushing products customers don't want. The few people who sign up for advertising don't pay their bills. Now they've cut compensation again and no one is making the money they once did. Why on earth would you join a dying industry? Everyone in my office under the age of 50 is looking for a new job. Getting sales leads requires you to be very creative. People just don't want to deal with Yellow Book for their internet needs. No you won't be designing webpages. You'd be lucky to make 60K now that they've changed commissions. My first year I made 89K. Not anymore, customers are canceling left and right.

What changed my thoughts on Yellow Book? Think long term act with integrity is a joke. Have fun, keep score and win . . .another joke. No one is having fun. When the money dried up so did the office events. Contest to win $10 gift cards . . . who gives a poop?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

i have moved on to greener pastures in New Jersey

69 months ago

Hey guys, check out another site that rates yellowbook, the website is jobvent.com and some of the comments are enlightening.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.