Frustrated Job Seeker's Rant -- Feel Free to Add Your Thoughts

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 21137)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Persnifinue in Kennewick, Washington

54 months ago

Amen to the posts here (except the spam)!

And might I add: stop being so picky about the length of time people have been out of work. There are many legitimate reasons why we may be unemployed! For me, I had to quit my job and take full-time care of a terminally ill parent for three years. I didn't choose to do it- I HAD to.

For others, it may be a child or spouse that needs help. Or they may just be laid off at no fault of their own. Have a heart!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (386) / No (56) Reply - Report abuse

Erin Myers in Reseda, California

54 months ago

MiraclePlease in Commerce, Georgia said: Oh how I would love for these posts to be sent to EVERY hiring manager and agency in the world. I think it is way past time for these incompetent, often cruel, thoughtless, careless, dimwits to get it through their thick skulls at how they are acting towards potential employees.

Aren't they supposed to be PROFESSIONALS?

Well it sure doesn't seem like they are...for example: I was interviewed yesterday by the CFO of a Company, and when I said, "Hey, I'm going to take notes if you don't mind" he was like, "Oh no, you're taking notes? Why would you do that?" ALMOST reminded me of some kid getting busted smoking Weed....had that same "OOPS!" tone to his voice.

Will I get a call-back? NO, of course NOT: "Almighty CFO" of said Company PANICKED by me showing interest and ENTHUSIASM for the Job!

Seriously...are any HR Pro's reading this? All we're asking for is a little kindness and respect...as Job-seekers, we spend hours upon hours pressing clothes to wear, re-writing our Resumes to fit Job Descriptions, role-playing with ourselves about what to say/what not to say...and for all of that, we barely get a definitive "when" we'll be followed-up upon, if that at all....

VERY DISAPPOINTING!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (210) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Lyndsey in Littleton, Colorado said: I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that posted on how hard it is to get a job! I am so glad that I am not alone. I have applied to at least 50 positions in the past two months and I have not even recieved a phone call or email to say no thank you. I feel that the positions that I applied for were a good fit for me and I had all the qualifications that they were asking for, but I have heard not one damn thing! It is so FRUSTRATING! What am I doing wrong? I feel that I am wasting my time even sending my resume if I am not even going to get a response back one way or another. I JUST WANT TO KNOW EITHER YES OR NO! Why is that so hard? It's the courteous thing to do.

Well-said! Don't give up! I'm going to resort to blasting my resume out there to every Job Board from hereforth and beating the streets even if it kills me. It's McDonald's for me for sure, it seems like they're the only place "always hiring".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (88) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Sad Renee in Skokie, Illinois

54 months ago

I was hired right before Christmas last year for a position and in the ad it had these points.
- Quickbooks experience is a plus
- Working in a CPA firm a real plus

I did not know Quickbooks, but I have worked in a CPA firm before. In the second interview the owner and Sr Accountant were told that I DID NOT have Quickbooks. The owner shrugged his shoulders and said no problem, and I asked the Sr Accountant if they were willing to train me, and the reply oh sure. Started the job and since the previous person was gone several weeks, they had some "busy work" to get caught up on. I shredded old papers, filed things that piled up, and did a monthly mailing. I asked if the names were already stored on the computer as this is a monthly mailing, the Sr. Accountant was out day one and the owner had no clue where is was and told me to "reconstruct one" with names he checked off the list. Then day 2 Sr Accountant knew where it was not in Word or Excel as we thought. I took notes when they showed me things that I would be doing in the future, and seemed like she was kind of discussted I "slowed" her down by doing so. Then day three she told me at the end of the day, that I was not a good fit, they NEVER even showed me Quickbooks yet. What kind of slap in the face was that...Merry Christmas. She told me that she didn't have the patience...that changed in a matter of a week? Every job has things to learn, show me once, I take notes so I don't have to ask you again. They were like you do this and this and you got it? I never had a job like that before. I ALWAYS took notes at the start and refered to them the next time to AVOID asking the same question. Nobody wants to train you is my complaint here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (194) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

I take notes too, I do, I'm the same way, that way they ONLY have to tell me ONCE, and then I have everything written down so I "have it".

Dude, I've done EVERYTHING I can in INTERVIEWS:

Worn a suit, not worn a suit. Taken notes, not taken notes. Spoke up and sold myself, not sold as heavily, acted humble, stood on my accomplishments. Worn my glasses, not worn them. Worn perfume, not worn perfume. had my hair up, had my hair down. Laughed at jokes, stayed serious. Been myself, and repressed myself...NOTHING IS WORKING.....IT'S H**L OUT THERE. : (

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (283) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

MiraclePlease in Commerce, Georgia

54 months ago

Who are these so called PROFESSIONALS looking for? Are they looking for perfection? It sure seems that way. There is NO excuse for this careless and callous act these people are putting forth. If you have a bachelors degree they want a masters. If you have a masters they want a PH.D. Heck if you had EVERYTHING they wanted they would still come up with some other lame criteria in which you would absolutely have to have in order to get a job. What's next? Blood samples? Do we need to have a blue and green eye?

YOU PROFESSIONALS OUT THERE: WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM US? WHY IS OUR BEST NOT ENOUGH FOR YOU? WHY DO YOU NOT LET YOUR CANDIDATES KNOW (AFTER AN IN PERSON INTERVIEW) WHETHER OR NOT THEY HAVE THE JOB?

I would love to know what kind of supreme being you are looking for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (200) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

[QUOTE YOU PROFESSIONALS OUT THERE: WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM US? WHY IS OUR BEST NOT ENOUGH FOR YOU? WHY DO YOU NOT LET YOUR CANDIDATES KNOW (AFTER AN IN PERSON INTERVIEW) WHETHER OR NOT THEY HAVE THE JOB?

VERY WELL-SAID INDEED...Like I said, I've tried EVERYTHING...talked a lot, shut up, suited up, dressed down, sparkly conversation, normal make-up, plain-jane make-up, perfume, no perfume, serious can-do attitude..it's just.not.working...!!!

UGGHHHHHH

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (98) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Persnifinue in Richland, Washington

54 months ago

And one more important thing- ENOUGH of the scams and bogus job postings that waste our time and insult our intelligence! I'm fed up with the listings of "jobs" that don't even exist, much less the ones that only are there to phish our personal info! People who prey on the most vulnerable don't deserve any kindness whatsoever!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (182) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Discusted Candidate in Chicago, Illinois

54 months ago

If ever there was a law against posting an ad with no intention of hiring. I keep a log of all the interviews that I went on and the contact names. I would like to report all of the ones that repost again or just lie to candidtates.

Someone should ask on the interview when they ask us any more questions? Oh yeah I have one more for you. Is this a real job you are trying to fill or are you just inteviewing people because you want to look busy? I would like to hear the reaction to that one! It will catch them off guard that is for sure! If you are at an interview you for sure have no interest in after the interview we should try that one on them jsut to see their face!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (116) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Lol! Yeah, that would be funny. But ONLY if you find that you're not interested. You wouldn't want to damage your chance of possibly being hired otherwise!

I've only been on ONE interview in almost six months of job hunting, and that was for a position that I discovered I was clearly not qualified for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

One other thing:

Stop holding little petty things against potential employees. There are many people with gaps in their employment due to personal and family reasons. Stop acting as if it is the end of the world that many people have gaps. There are things in life that cannot be controlled so stop making little remarks and grunts when someone has been out of work for LEGIT reasons. You never know when it CAN be you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (126) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Many people families today are the "sandwich" generation, meaning that we take care of our children and sometimes our parents as well. If someone in the family cannot live alone they move in with other members who already are the caregivers, and sometimes need to take a leave to accomodate that member. With people living longer that will become more common when our children have a family and need to care of their parents as well when illness or accident means we need the help. And maybe that person someday will be you asking your children to help you walk and do the grocery shopping for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (59) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

MiraclePlease in Commerce, Georgia said: One other thing:

Stop holding little petty things against potential employees. There are many people with gaps in their employment due to personal and family reasons. Stop acting as if it is the end of the world that many people have gaps. There are things in life that cannot be controlled so stop making little remarks and grunts when someone has been out of work for LEGIT reasons. You never know when it CAN be you.

YES, YES YESSS....EVERY INTERVIEW I GO ON, I GET TEH GRUNTS AND LITTLE "COMMENTS".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

*THE....whups, got worked up...but it's TRUE....I, like many, have a Gap due to SEVERAL Legit Reasons! Stop judging me and treating me like crap!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

simonmsw83 in Iselin, New Jersey

54 months ago

well yes they do ask for gaps in ur employment, even if that is only a month that u were unemployed.What do they expect us to do to fill this gap. They themselves are not willing to hire us. I do agree that every job has its own dignity, but I hate and do not agree with the idea of working in mcdonalds or burgerking as a cleaner after obtaining a masters degree. I could have very well invested the money i spend on college in starting my own small scale business. I am an msw graduate and worked in a group home for 2 years earning 8 dollars per hour to not have a gap and to keep myself engaged. Now they say they need college level job experience. The group home job is only high school level job experience. What a waist of two years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (64) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Persnifinue in Kennewick, Washington said: Amen to the posts here (except the spam)!

And might I add: stop being so picky about the length of time people have been out of work. There are many legitimate reasons why we may be unemployed! For me, I had to quit my job and take full-time care of a terminally ill parent for three years. I didn't choose to do it- I HAD to.

For others, it may be a child or spouse that needs help. Or they may just be laid off at no fault of their own. Have a heart!

I say everything that I've been coached to say regarding a Gap in my resume on those cutesy "helpful" Sites like eHow "dot" com. Yet, the grunts, squints, sighs, rubbing the back of their neck...it's like I shot the Pope or something, you'd think. My fiancee has luckily had his Job for over a Year and he does IT, and he doesn't mind supporting me, but I can't sleep at night from the stress anymore. My savings are almost gone, I don't have UEI. Everyone I know says "don't do it" as far as Fast Food goes, but I need $. I imagine I might never be able to be a Manager again at this rate (albeit I send out at least 6 well-crafted C.L.'s and Rez's a day to ads/job boards) but well, I'll be done with my technical licenses w/in the next 2 years, and I'm switching Careers. :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

shoequeen in Plymouth, Minnesota

54 months ago

What ever happened to on the job training? Employers expect you to have All the job skills as they don't want to provide any training. At one of my former jobs they hired 2 ladies that had absolutly no experience in Real Estate/Leasing/Construction. They got the job because they knew someone who worked in another department and they were refered to the hiring manager. They both received extensive training with the manager and other co workers who had patience. Both ladies were smart and quick learners, and after a year they learned so much on the job and were both very valuable employees. They received a chance the company trained them their way that company wanted things done. I have seen so many resumes at my former job from applicates who had no industry experience and some were hired and received great reviews and later moved up to be managers and mentor others. I just wish that employers would realize that a bright person can be trained especially when they are just a few years out of college. When the job market improves employers will not be soo picky or hesitate in hiring someone that is bright, we will be offers and take the first one that we are offered as we want to have a job just like the other 90% of the people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (96) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dynamics in Needham, Massachusetts

54 months ago

One of the first questions when an employer calls when responding to the resume sent for their opening is "What are your Salary Requirements?" Without first talking about the job duties. When a range is given they never tell you what range they have in the budget for candidates applying. Also when you fill out applications they ask for start and end salaries for each job you list. With some of them 5-10 years ago how does that rate with today's wages? They should tell candidates the range is xx to xx depending in experiance. And if you have little or none you get the lowest in the stated range and if you have over 10 years you get the higest in the range.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (66) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

simonmsw83 in Iselin, New Jersey

54 months ago

Discusted Candidate in Chicago, Illinois said: I have employers ask me so what have you been doing for the past 7 months? Talking to people like you who waste my time. They make fun of you in the interview, by asking such questions as what you would do during your down time. Surf the web? Why are you looking to hire if there is going to be down time?

Oh yeah its now Tuesday, we will be interviewing candidtates till Friday, then be making a decision early next week...I guess that decision is to repost the ad on Careerbuilder and get another 500 resumes because NONE of the 500 you already got are smart enough to handle all the stress that this job has.

careerbulider is a very stupid junk webzite, no good, I had better respoces form zites like socialservice.com and ideed

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

miami in Oakland, California

54 months ago

there was some government funding programs in S.F, where the gov't actually paid the full salary amount to the Company that hired new employees. Does anyone know is there any similar programs in East Bay? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Craigslist, Indeed, Monster. I don't take Careerbuilder seriously, it's a junk/spam Website.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

And Craigslist isn't? It seems that at least 90% of the "jobs" posted on Craigslist are bogus or downright scams. The other 10% genuine ones you never hear back from anyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

JasonFL

54 months ago

I can resonate with all of you - I thought I was alone and have been looking for an online support group or something as I am slowly going nuts with this job search.

I am trying to avoid having to take a job that would entail a 40%+ cut in pay - I guess its that I have worked so hard on my own to accomplish a certain career level and I want to feel as though I am making progress not regress.

I was laid off 6 months ago and have applied to endless jobs I'm qualified for and even went to an interview that was 4hrs away to no avail.

How about someone post something about what you're doing to keep sane, what makes you feel good about yourself when you constantly hear NO NO NO, what keeps you going when you get knocked down time and again?

Some of the things I do is make sure I keep myself in the gym - I try and not dwell on all the negatives and while this is not easy its possible.

I try and get out of the house often and around people even when I don't feel up to it. For me being alone and in my own head is a sure way to feed the negativity.

Am I being to cynical here, does anyone else relate to the job search depression blues?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (121) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Packers Fan in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

54 months ago

Yes I hear you with your fustration, which I can relate to and everyone else here. I have to get out of the house just to keep sane. Now that the weather is getting more spring like and seems like winter is finally over, I have been getting out and riding my bicycle around the neighborhood, last week I met a friend for lunch that I have not seen for a long time, and went to see "Everybody's Fine" at the library for free. There were around 100 people at the showing, and I am sure that some were unemployed and wanted something to do that didn't bust the budget. Some libraries have job support groups, help with resume writing etc. These programs sometimes are run by library and sometimes by local church groups. Talk to your local library, they are very helpful. Redbox which rents movies for $1 per night is another way to keep occupied. Also libraries let you borrow DVD's for 1 week for free, the latest movies are usually on a waiting list, but if you missed something that came out a few years back they may have it. Also I have picked up DVD's on learning weather it be a hobby or on brushing up on Microsoft Word/Excel/Powerpoint, I have picked up a few new tips that may come in handy on my next job, it not is was something for myself to feel good about. Also ask neighbors, friends, relatives to save old magazines for you so you can read them and share them with others, so you can keep up on this latest celebrity gossip.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dynamics in Needham, Massachusetts

54 months ago

From what I have seen listed on Craigslist is low paying jobs for Office Manager kinds of roles that have asked for things like
- MBA was required (you run the whole office as owner is not there much.
- You are required to have a cell phone with unlimited texting. (why doesn't the company provide you with a company phone, if they plan to communicate to you via that method for work instructions?)
- No benefits

They want the world and one even stated excellent starting salary ($12hr). Gee 20 years ago I would have thought that was an excellent salary, and the requirements were not that much compared to today.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (76) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Desperate for work in Des Plaines, Illinois

54 months ago

This is a must read article, including the many pages of comments: well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/11/the-isolation-of-unemployment/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Try these sites for job hunting. If anyone has others that are not listed here, please feel free to ad. Has anyone used Twitter to find a job?

www.jobpostingwebsites.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jatty in Westfield, Indiana

54 months ago

Can't say I haven't been thinking these same things.
It is odd to be going through because no one really understands that isn't in it.
My mother has had a job for over 20 yrs, the same one she got out of college. She just can't understand when I tell her, what would you do if one day they just stopped giving you work and wouldn't lay you off? She responds that they would never do that. mmmhmm

She makes me feel guilty like I asked for this. I was never late, never had any write-ups, even did extra work I didn't charge for and thought about work many times while not working.

It does tick me off that I'm selective about who I'm applying with and not wasting their time when even one skill they ask for I don't have and they can't even respond to me.
I no longer care if they have 500 messages about one ad and they have to send a generic message to everyone. Do it.

Either we get jobs or we start attacking those with jobs at their ATM machines, it's their choice. We aren't substandard beings, we are educated, intelligent, capable citizens that can't seem to get a break lately and are sick of being swept under a rug especially when being ignored when sticking our hands out to offer you a bargain priced worker.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (53) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jatty in Westfield, Indiana

54 months ago

What I do to control my frustration is go into an mmo and destroy other people in pvp.
It's a mild solution but keeps me close to the phone just in case a job calls.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Janet in Sherman Oaks, California

54 months ago

Erin Myers in Reseda, California said: After reading the posts above, my requests are similiar:

1. If you are going to "let me know by Friday", let me know; call me, EVEN if it's a "No", PLEASE PUT me out of my agony from waiting!

2. Please give me a Business Card so that I can follow-up properly/have a way to contact you if I hear nothing "by Friday". (What's up with this constant "Oh, I'm out of cards" reply that I'm getting when asking, hunh?)

3. PLEASE don't say that I'd be "perfect", that you "like me", that I'd "fit in well here" UNLESS YOU INTEND TO HIRE ME...quit leading me on!!

4. Please don't talk like I'm hired if you don't intend to hire me "Oh, well, this is what you'll do day-to-day, I'll have you doing this stuff blah blah".

Number 1 is my BIGGEST COMPLAINT..somehow, Companies lack finesse these days in their follow-through...and I've interviewed with Corporations big enough to "know better".

Is it the sign of the times and Societal Breakdown, or are people just lazy and rude these days???

You left one more out. Don't walk me through the office showing me where I'd sit when your not going to hire me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (94) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bronco Billy

54 months ago

Persnifinue in Kennewick, Washington said: Amen to the posts here (except the spam)!

What a lot of job applicants do not know and need to is if you have
been out of work for 4 months or more employers will pass over you
for someone with less unemployed time.
Also if you have collected unemployment employers are not interested in you.
Simple things like this most job applicants are not aware of.
Your local unemployment office is a joke their so busy in-fighting
they don't have time to find you a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Bronco Billy

54 months ago

Discusted Candidate in Chicago, Illinois said: I have employers ask me so what have you been doing for the past 7 months? Talking to people like you who waste my time. They make fun of you in the interview, by asking such questions as what you would do during your down time. Surf the web? Why are you looking to hire if there is going to be down time?

Oh yeah its now Tuesday, we will be interviewing candidtates till Friday, then be making a decision early next week...I guess that decision is to repost the ad on Careerbuilder and get another 500 resumes because NONE of the 500 you already got are smart enough to handle all the stress that this job has.

Hot note for those using CareerBuilder site,if you do not have
a Degree forget it your wasting your time. They file you in the
Dead Job Applicants section.
Also if HR runs a record check on you they may not look fully into
the possibilty someone else may have same name as you and say oh!
we don't want this person or skim the top only.
Run a record check on yourself and give it to the person interviewing.
I had property damage found on mine and it was over me taking a
home seller to court because house was 35 yrs older then what was
stated when I bought the house and this was 20 yrs ago.
Had they gone and dug further they would have found the truth.
This was a simple civil matter that I brought into court as a
plaintiff,they missed that to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Janet in Sherman Oaks, California

54 months ago

My unemployment office doesn't even pretend to find you a job. They offer telephones and computers. This I have at home. When you ask the people working there questions they say they are not EDD but EDD rents the office from them. Also being in my late 50's I've asked EDD if they have any programs for retraining etc. They said no. Also I asked if I went and got my own training what would happen. They said they would cancel my Unemployment unless they approved it. I asked what will you approve? They said for me to apply to whatever and then they would contact the school and then let me know if approved but they would not tell me anything in advance. And while I'm waiting for their approval I would NOT be receiving my unemployment check. Is this a screwed up system or what??????????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Desperate for work in Des Plaines, Illinois

54 months ago

It feels an awful lot like dating. And even the ugly guys won't call you back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (112) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

fed up too. in Athens, Tennessee

54 months ago

Personally, it gripes me to no end the way they uncompassionate jerks word their rejection letters. I graduated with 3.6 in accounting and have 10 years experience. Yet companies are sending me rejection letters as to how my skills are inadequate and they have chosen somone that best fits their needs. Is that not like kicking someone when they are down?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (75) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Are You Serious in Denver, Colorado

54 months ago

BurnedoutRN in Atlanta, Georgia said: I would like to add to Fed Up's post the following:

Don't make promises you can't keep.

STOP posting ads for FILLED positions over AND over again.

And, last (but not least), treat us with the SAME dignity and respect that you expect of your job candidates.

Is that too much to ask? We don't think so.

Sadly, a basic level of respect and manners are optional features with employers! LOL Look at me talk about employer features, like I would add on car features!

My general rule of thumb is treat others well, even when they are disrespectful, irate, can't provide straight answers and are nasty to you. Be the better person and show class, grace and manners, even when they don't.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

MiraclePlease in Commerce, Georgia said: Oh how I would love for these posts to be sent to EVERY hiring manager and agency in the world. I think it is way past time for these incompetent, often cruel, thoughtless, careless, dimwits to get it through their thick skulls at how they are acting towards potential employees.

Aren't they supposed to be PROFESSIONALS?

There's a saying that goes, "Part of having a title, is acting the title......" Just because someone claims to be professional, doesn't mean they are. Actions speak louder than words, friends.
If you can believe it, I once worked for an employer a long long time ago who wore a manager name tag. When customers, and employees, including me sought his assistance in general matters, he proclaimed he "wasn't the manager". I'm thinking, "So. Are you just wearing that title for entertainment purposes? What is the explanation? Because I have 20/20 and clearly seen "manager" on your name tag, sir."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Erin Myers in Reseda, California said: I take notes too, I do, I'm the same way, that way they ONLY have to tell me ONCE, and then I have everything written down so I "have it".

Dude, I've done EVERYTHING I can in INTERVIEWS:

Worn a suit, not worn a suit. Taken notes, not taken notes. Spoke up and sold myself, not sold as heavily, acted humble, stood on my accomplishments. Worn my glasses, not worn them. Worn perfume, not worn perfume. had my hair up, had my hair down. Laughed at jokes, stayed serious. Been myself, and repressed myself...NOTHING IS WORKING.....IT'S H**L OUT THERE. : (

Okay, yes, but did you, did you, sing, dance, juggle like a circus performance entertainer and getting into stage costume for the employer? Just Joking! (wink)

My mom's advice to you for next weeks job application approach: She theorizes that employers don't want normal, professionals who are well groomed, decent and friendly. So she suggests you go in with ratty, unwashed hair, a tongue, eyebrow or lip ring, a dirty t-shirt with a chili stain on the front and pants on that are 20 sizes too big to increase your chances of impressing an employer. She says, "Stop brushing your teeth, taking a shower, and grooming yourself nicely. You may be trying to hard."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Erin Myers in Reseda, California said: YES, YES YESSS....EVERY INTERVIEW I GO ON, I GET TEH GRUNTS AND LITTLE "COMMENTS".

It's pretty much a yay or nay deal. It's like watchu see is watchu get. Take it or leave it. As for these employers who focus on domestic chicken squabbles and petty issues, I say, "You don't seem too motivated to me to achieve any real goals. You seem more focused on unimportant, trivial, petty matters. You're missing out on high quality employees, who are ambitious, friendly, high achievers and have positive attitudes....."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Erin Myers in Reseda, California said: Well it sure doesn't seem like they are...for example: I was interviewed yesterday by the CFO of a Company, and when I said, "Hey, I'm going to take notes if you don't mind" he was like, "Oh no, you're taking notes? Why would you do that?" ALMOST reminded me of some kid getting busted smoking Weed....had that same "OOPS!" tone to his voice.

Will I get a call-back? NO, of course NOT: "Almighty CFO" of said Company PANICKED by me showing interest and ENTHUSIASM for the Job!

Seriously...are any HR Pro's reading this? All we're asking for is a little kindness and respect...as Job-seekers, we spend hours upon hours pressing clothes to wear, re-writing our Resumes to fit Job Descriptions, role-playing with ourselves about what to say/what not to say...and for all of that, we barely get a definitive "when" we'll be followed-up upon, if that at all....

VERY DISAPPOINTING!!

OOOkay. First these people complain that job applicants don't express any interest, motivation or ambition, but yet when someone does, they are offended and we are told it's wrong to make a basic follow up contact with potential employers?

After listening to this circus for 2+ years I'm like, "I hope someone has my dream job. I've never been through so much grief and mental abuse in my entire life."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

MiraclePlease in Commerce, Georgia said: Who are these so called PROFESSIONALS looking for? Are they looking for perfection? It sure seems that way. There is NO excuse for this careless and callous act these people are putting forth. If you have a bachelors degree they want a masters. If you have a masters they want a PH.D. Heck if you had EVERYTHING they wanted they would still come up with some other lame criteria in which you would absolutely have to have in order to get a job. What's next? Blood samples? Do we need to have a blue and green eye?

YOU PROFESSIONALS OUT THERE: WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM US? WHY IS OUR BEST NOT ENOUGH FOR YOU? WHY DO YOU NOT LET YOUR CANDIDATES KNOW (AFTER AN IN PERSON INTERVIEW) WHETHER OR NOT THEY HAVE THE JOB?

You raise a good point! You know it's bad when high achievers, and very bright, ambitious, motivated people with positive attitudes are now arguing with employers!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

shoequeen in Plymouth, Minnesota said: What ever happened to on the job training? Employers expect you to have All the job skills as they don't want to provide any training. At one of my former jobs they hired 2 ladies that had absolutly no experience in Real Estate/Leasing/Construction. They got the job because they knew someone who worked in another department and they were refered to the hiring manager. They both received extensive training with the manager and other co workers who had patience. Both ladies were smart and quick learners, and after a year they learned so much on the job and were both very valuable employees. They received a chance the company trained them their way that company wanted things done. I have seen so many resumes at my former job from applicates who had no industry experience and some were hired and received great reviews and later moved up to be managers and mentor others. I just wish that employers would realize that a bright person can be trained especially when they are just a few years out of college. When the job market improves employers will not be soo picky or hesitate in hiring someone that is bright, we will be offers and take the first one that we are offered as we want to have a job just like the other 90% of the people.

I agree! Why can't bright people with the right attitude be trained on the job? It just seems like some companies and people have attitude problems and don't want to be apart of another person's success.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Lyndsey in Littleton, Colorado said: I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that posted on how hard it is to get a job! I am so glad that I am not alone. I have applied to at least 50 positions in the past two months and I have not even recieved a phone call or email to say no thank you. I feel that the positions that I applied for were a good fit for me and I had all the qualifications that they were asking for, but I have heard not one damn thing! It is so FRUSTRATING! What am I doing wrong? I feel that I am wasting my time even sending my resume if I am not even going to get a response back one way or another. I JUST WANT TO KNOW EITHER YES OR NO! Why is that so hard? It's the courteous thing to do.

All these people talk about job applicants need to have manners, common courtesy and respect for employers. What about actual employers having actual manners, common courtesy and respect for people? I've seen some pretty trash things including employers setting up interviews and then the person interviewing, wasn't there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Fed Up in Des Plaines, Illinois said:

>>>And, for the love of all that is holy, is it too much to ask that you follow up with *some* kind of communication for those lucky people who actually make it into an interview with you? A simple "thanks, but no thanks" will do. It is just downright cruel to keep people wondering for weeks on end<<<

I agree there seems to be some communication/feedback loop issues going on! My general rule of thumb being unemployed and job seeking is, I do my part and follow common manners/courtesy practices/what I should be doing, even when other people and organizations aren't! Recently when I was contacted by email and a company told me they couldn't find a way to reach me for an interview when I listed 2 phone numbers, a physical address and an email address on a very standard resume, I'm like, "Wow. But, didn't you just now contact me? That's like me saying I can't find the local unemployment/workforce training center and they clearly display numerous phone numerous, a physical address, and contact email addresses. How dumb. Some of you employers really expect me to believe you had that much extremely basic, straight forward information in front of you and couldn't figure out how to analyze it and figure out what to do, or how to make basic contact with someone? Someone get the shovel, the BS is getting deep, friends......"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Bronco Billy said: I agree you get called in for an interview and that's the last
you ever hear of job.
I'v gotten showed around a lot,but in the end I never got the job.
They HR Mng apparently are trained to stroke the applicant and
then boot them out the door by the old sayings of:Well we have someother job applicants we have to interview or oldie but a goody
"We'll call you" Don't hold your breath for that call.
I have retired from 2 jobs with pensions have been in 3 different
professions with good work history and references still young
in my 60's and want just PT work yet cannot even get hired on
at a McDonalds Rest PT.
Seniors Need Not Apply here is want companies should put in job
ad's or doors of their business.

Okay....Some of these employers are total BS. They are more interested in "showing the people around" (like a tour guide leading a travel safari group) than seriously discussing actual employment (what the people came in to discuss in the first place?).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

[QUOTE who="simonmsw83 in Iselin, New Jersey said: well yes they do ask for gaps in ur employment, even if that is only a month that u were unemployed.What do they expect us to do to fill this gap. They themselves are not willing to hire us. I do agree that every job has its own dignity, but I hate and do not agree with the idea of working in mcdonalds or burgerking as a cleaner after obtaining a masters degree. I could have very well invested the money i spend on college in starting my own small scale business. I am an msw graduate and worked in a group home for 2 years earning 8 dollars per hour to not have a gap and to keep myself engaged. Now they say they need college level job experience. The group home job is only high school level job experience. What a waist of two years."

>>>>>>>How sad for people going through all this educational training and to not even recieve an entry level, moderately paying job in their chosen profession. BK, KFC, or Mickey D's are their employment/dream job choices?Yuck!<<<<<<<

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Some of these employers seem like they have really low self esteem to just badger, mentally abuse and make fun of the hobbies and interests of very nice people. I'd be like, "Numerous. Including participating in charitable functions that actually are productive, benefit this community and do something productive. I guess I'm just not into getting an emotional high by making fun of, picking on, creating problems for or abusing other people to provide a quick boost my self-esteem or my status in this community."

I actually had nasty co-workers recently tell me I shouldn't socialize or interact with people. I'm thinking, "People like you aren't going in where in your life or career and have extremely low self esteem problems. In fact, you don't have anything to offer other people(except your mental abuse/nasty personality), which explains why you make up lies and file frivolous claims against high achievers, and waste the time of state public officials, including the labor department to attract attention to yourselves."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Discusted Candidate in Chicago, Illinois said: If ever there was a law against posting an ad with no intention of hiring. I keep a log of all the interviews that I went on and the contact names. I would like to report all of the ones that repost again or just lie to candidtates.

Someone should ask on the interview when they ask us any more questions? Oh yeah I have one more for you. Is this a real job you are trying to fill or are you just inteviewing people because you want to look busy? I would like to hear the reaction to that one! It will catch them off guard that is for sure! If you are at an interview you for sure have no interest in after the interview we should try that one on them jsut to see their face!

I love the "or are you interviewing people because you want to look busy?" On some days, it really does make you wonder!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Janet in Sherman Oaks, California said: You left one more out. Don't walk me through the office showing me where I'd sit when your not going to hire me.

They should be fined for wasting people's time when they have no intention of hiring. Some of these companies have totally flipped out and lost all professionalism.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

I just wanted to add that I feel that a lot of job seekers are doing all the right things. It's these incompetent employers that are doing the wrong things and not being held accountable for their actions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.