Are resume companies a ripoff?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 64)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Wilson in Inglewood, California

47 months ago

I posted my resume on a business job website and it gave me an option to have my resume evaluated by a professional resume company for free. So I figured since I had basically copied about 98% of my resume after a sample recommended job resume that was posted on Monster (all I basically did was put in my personal and work experience information AND I really did not change anything else). So I figured it would be interesting to see what a professional company would say (since I was using a resume recommend on Monster) . . . yet I knew that they would find fault with the resume as they are in business to write resumes for some outrageous price. Low and behold, I received a letter back from the company about 48 hours later with a full page analysis of what was wrong with my resume. So for two options, one price at $399 and one price at $799, they could create the perfect resume for me. Yet I must say, when I read their full page critique letter, it looked like it might have been computer generated, as I just could not see they really had someone take their time to review my resume and then write such a long critique letter as they did.

I wound never pay this much for someone to critique and write a resume for me, however have you ever had a resume professional done? If so, what is the going rate? Yet I could not believe that company found so many faults with the sample resume I used from Monster, as I figure Monster would not have a recommended sample resume, if it was not a good one for people to use at large. Personally, I thought the resume I used and the format was very good for my needs.

Your thoughts?

Wilson

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ping123 in Phoenix, Arizona

47 months ago

Wow .. that sounds fishy. It's a shame that people scam desperate job seekers these days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Thank you Displaced, and Ping. I appreciate your answers.

On a side note, when I asked this question in another forum, someone suggested that I go to one of those job/career centers (i.e. One-Stop), and have someone there look over and or help me with my resume, which can probably be done for free there. So I am going to give that a try, since I can not afford to have a professional resume done.

Thanks again you two : - )

Wilson

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

47 months ago

Wilson: I would definitely not use them. They charge too way much. Find somebody who will do it for you for nothing. Don't spend an arm and leg on something that perhaps somebody you know can do it for free.

nevadaexile in Grand Rapids, Michigan

47 months ago

Most of the services that I'm familiar w/ are scams.
I wouldn't waste my time (or money) on resume service unless there's verifiable proof that they can actually assist you in obtaining a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Thank you both Nevadaexile and Thinksit for the additional feedback and help. Based on some previous suggestions, I am going to seek help at my local One-Stop Career Center, because chances are I can get expert resume help three for free. Right now, I am trying to get over a very bad cold. However once I am better, I am going to see what type of resume help I can get at the center. I think that do-it-yourself books might be of help, however in my case, I prefer human interaction of a professional, since I would feel more comfortable having a professional look at my resume and critique it. The resume I have now, I basically used two separate online templets to create it. Yet now that I have at least listed all of my pertinent information in my resume, I would like to have my resume tweeked by a professional. Yet since I can not afford a professional, I am hoping to get free help down at the One-Stop Career Center.

Yet in my case, I really need the advice of a professional to look at my resume and help me polish my strengths and tone down my weaknesses.

Wilson

46 months ago

Thank you Bornfree. I have absolutely no problem writing my own resume, and I am aware of some of the many various types/versions of resumes out there. However trying to find employment has changed drastically since I last had to look for a job back in the late 80's. Thus is why I want to explore some of the free options I have available to me at least, because having a one page resume with an objective was the norm back then. However today, it seems that there is a BIG emphasis of explaining in your resume as to why a potential employer should hire you rather than what you are seeking in a job/career, so I hear often that an “Objective” should not be included in my resumes.

Yet if I can get some professional help for free, that is all the better. Yet I do not think I would fork over more than $50 for a professional resume writer (if I could afford it). Though I think books on resume writing are great, however I still think if possible, it is best that someone (a real person) in-the-know of resume writing should look at a person’s resume to provide some good unbiased feedback. Yet if they can help tweek the resume for free, that is all the better, if that person can help the resume stand out and offer suggestions of what content should and should not be listed in the resume.

In regard to when you wrote: "I have written my own resume for years and it has never failed me." How do you know that your resume did not fail you? I have provided my resume to potential employers for several months now, with not even "one" call-back. So at this point, I have no idea if my resume is failing me or not. Yet if you are getting a call-back an interview an a job every time you give out your resume, can you please write my resume (I'll pay you $50)? LOL!!! For sure, I need a resume that will not fail me, and will lead to my next job. SMILE!!!

Wilson

Victor in Vancouver, British Columbia

35 months ago

Hey Wilson and everyone else, you don't have to pay a lot of money for a great resume. If you are willing to do a bit of work, there are lots of free resume samples out there. Check them out and take ideas from all of them that would work for you.

greatresumeexample.com/wholesale-resume/

Stampede11 in Orlando, Florida

35 months ago

Hey there, I know this is a bit late, but just to let you know, I've had my resume done a couple of times by "professional resume" companies. $799 is definitely a scam. The most you should ever pay for a Resume and Cover Letter together, is $300. That is a lot, but that is the going rate for the bigger companies. You can get them for as low as $100-$150. As others have said, there are plenty of places like your one stop, that can help you for free, also lots of resume software you can use, one being Resume Maker, which is quite good, and gives you a lot more then just templates for resumes, and advice. The best places would be for the professionals, Monster, Careerbuilder, and If you do research on the internet for best resume writing services, you can find the top ones. But again, anyone charging more then $300 I'd be very careful with. Hope that helps!

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

35 months ago

I wouldn't spend one thin dime on them. You can do your own resume for nothing. If you don't have a computer at home, have a friend or a family member do it for you. Better yet, go to the library and have it done there. See if the library in your area has computers

These "resume services" are nothing but a ripoff. Don't use them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

35 months ago

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania said: I wouldn't spend one thin dime on them. You can do your own resume for nothing. If you don't have a computer at home, have a friend or a family member do it for you. Better yet, go to the library and have it done there. See if the library in your area has computers

These "resume services" are nothing but a ripoff. Don't use them.

I have actually seen some pretty good work done by professional resume writers. No, I am not one of them.

Course, the caveat here is that resumes are going the way of the typewriter and the telephone both. Many large companies don't even accept them anymore. Its all online now.

Even the bit, where you can "cut and paste" your resume is only used to extract your name and address and to make you feel good about yourself. Ain't nobody reading that part.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

PART 1 of 2

Thank you very much for you input and help Victor, Stampede, Nanlisa, and Bluetea. I greatly appreciate your help and input from my last posting on this topic 11 months ago.

Here is an update. I have been sporadically working more and more odd jobs since late 2010. I’m still not working in a full-time or part-time capacity. Though I did go to the One Stop Career Center last year to get help on my resume. Though I got help help at the One Stop Career Center, however thus far, I have not received “ONE” phone call with my new resume.

Even with my new resume, I decided to get it critiqued on Monster.Com last month, however the people there pretty much picked it apart, and I got very frustrated with the thought of trying to do the major overhaul on my resume as they suggested.

35 months ago

PART 2 of 2

I venture to guess that I have submitted at least 100 resumes and employment applications (between 2010 to 2012) to jobs that I know that I am very qualified for, yet it has become very frustrating to even bother to apply for those jobs I know that I’m qualified for as they continue to become available, since I NEVER get any calls for an interview. I know that I should not do this, but what I’m going to do is take one of those professional online “cover letters” and “resumes” and just put my name on it and start submitting them to maybe about 10 to 20 companies . . . just so I can see if the phone will ring. I’m not going to call those companies back or try to lie my way into an interview, but I just want to see if any of those “so called” sterling “cover letters” and “resumes” will just get my phone to ring. If these fake cover letters and resumes I put out there "DO" get my phone to ring, then I will at least know for sure that my own cover letters and resumes really are the problem . . . Yet right now, I just do not believe that it is my cover letters and my resumes are the problem. Yet if it is the case, then I will take Stamped’s advise and get a professional (for $300 or less) to do my cover letter and resume . . . rather than doing the massive overhaul that the Monster.Com people want me to do.

Steve

35 months ago

I paid $89 at Wordsmith Resume Services and honestly I was blown away by their use of words and the layout. I was weary at 1st but it was a great use of $90 and I started receiving calls from employers right away. I had no idea how bad my old resume really was but overall I'm pretty happy and landed a IT position with a good company. Hope this helped and I cant remember the guys name but the website is WordsmithResumeServices.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

Thanks, Steve.

Wilson

Jeff in Denver, Colorado

34 months ago

The resume services that have contacted me want $500 or more. A highly experienced technical writer might make $30 to $35 an hour and the company would probably double that for office and equipment, administration, and benefits. Do they really spend 7 or 8 hours on each resume? I highly doubt it. (Nor do I think it likely that they are employing senior technical writers who make $30 to $35 an hour).

Bean counter in San Jose, California

34 months ago

Hey people, you don't need resume writers, they're generalists hence they're not familiar with one's particular field and jargon. Some hiring managers may even be able to detect it's not written by the candidate.

Since we read so often companies use scanners to screen resumes, it is very important we use the same wording, phrase and sequence as the job description when applying for a specific opening. I heard success stories when some folks copied the job description and were subsequently hired....

One can also look up a very well-known site (Indeed does not allow naming other employment-related sites here) with thousands of employee profiles; pay attention to some of the full or semi-full resume and take note of the writing styles of those already employed by well-known large corporations. You get the idea...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

Jeff in Denver, Colorado said: The resume services that have contacted me want $500 or more. A highly experienced technical writer might make $30 to $35 an hour and the company would probably double that for office and equipment, administration, and benefits. Do they really spend 7 or 8 hours on each resume? I highly doubt it. (Nor do I think it likely that they are employing senior technical writers who make $30 to $35 an hour).

Jeff, I get a regular emails from one company that wants to charge me $700 to write my resume, but the emails that they send to me at least once every 2 weeks, are for a $100 off special. “No thank you!” The only way I would pay somebody that type of money is, they would have to guarantee that I would get a job in 60 days or less, making at least 35K+, otherwise I would not touch any company out there charging over $100 to do my resume with a 10 foot pole!

I would say that people that need help with or want to enhance their resume, they should go to their neighborhood One Stop Career Center and get help for free. Or take advantage of those free resume workshops, that some select job fairs offer.

Wilson

34 months ago

Bean counter in San Jose, California said: Hey people, you don't need resume writers, they're generalists hence they're not familiar with one's particular field and jargon. Some hiring managers may even be able to detect it's not written by the candidate.

Since we read so often companies use scanners to screen resumes, it is very important we use the same wording, phrase and sequence as the job description when applying for a specific opening. I heard success stories when some folks copied the job description and were subsequently hired....

One can also look up a very well-known site (Indeed does not allow naming other employment-related sites here) with thousands of employee profiles; pay attention to some of the full or semi-full resume and take note of the writing styles of those already employed by well-known large corporations. You get the idea...

Bean,

I could not agree with you more when you said “Hey people, you don't need resume writers, they're generalists hence they're not familiar with one's particular field and jargon.” Well said!

I hear what you are saying, but that technique has not worked for me thus far (i.e. using the same wording, phrase and sequence as the job description when applying for a specific opening). The reason, why I opted to do that, is I have come across a handful of job openings where I match the job description to a “T”, along with my having prior lengthy skills and experience to back it up. LOL!!! Yet I have never got a callback from any employer when I have done that. MAJOR FROWN!!!

Wilson

jenab in Austin, Texas

34 months ago

Paying for resume writing is like paying for someone to find you a job. It's a ripoff 99% of the time, and you can usually do a better job yourself. The people doing them are not going to be in your field, know the terminology, or your accomplishments.

Anyone looking at your resume is going to be looking for what they need and then toss it aside in 30 seconds so if you aren't customizing your resume for each position and capitalizing on what the job description says to match it to your skills, you're just wasting bandwidth and paper.

A good basic resume is based on your experience, and a better resume is one that is customized for each specific job you're submitting it to; you're going to have to keep working on it anyway. If you're going to pay, seek out friends in your field and offer to buy them coffee or lunch to critique (not write it) after you'd done the first two things. They may also help you identify accomplishments you've forgotten (and you should be listing a couple of those for each position on your resume, emphasizing the result of challenges related to the position).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

34 months ago

Wilson in Inglewood, California said: PART 2 of 2
I NEVER get any calls for an interview...
If these fake cover letters and resumes I put out there "DO" get my phone to ring...
I just do not believe that it is my cover letters and my resumes are the problem...

Wilson, you sound very frustrated and I know that long term jobseeking is very stressful. Please reconsider about the fake resumes; they could permanently damage your reputation.

I know it's tough; I spent most of 2007 unemployed and even though I got so good at doing the right things I was invited to speak and run workshops on jobseeking, I only had two interviews in 10 months (even though people who attended my workshops were telling me they'd landed jobs in part because of my help). You can be doing all the right things and still not get interviews or offers. Until you do. The job I landed was one I never expected to get, and it was billed as a short term part time job, and it lasted 3+ years full time until they created a new position just for me.

That being said, I do recommend going back to your local career center and getting some more help on the resume and cover letter as well as strategizing your targeted job search. Remember that the cover letter only gets someone to look at your resume, and the resume only gets the contact (or not). You might want to focus on networking through local job clubs, professional associations and even through family, and informational interviews.

34 months ago

Well said, Jenab. Based on all of the great comments and feedback I have received since my original post over 12 months ago, this as been a very amazing, interesting, and educational thread.

Yet when Bean said “They're generalists hence they're not familiar with one's particular field and jargon.” Then you said “The people doing them are not going to be in your field, know the terminology, or your accomplishments.” I think that really hits the nail on the head, I never thought about that before. Yet those 2 statements make good and total sense to me, and deters me even further away from the idea of ever paying someone to do my resume. Yet the idea of seeking out friends in my field to help create a better resume, is also an excellent idea.

Thank you very much, Jenab :-)

Wilson

jenab in Austin, Texas

34 months ago

You're very welcome. I'm past the 6+ month point this time, and I'm having to rejuvenate my own search as well. I think I'm giving myself the advice as much as sharing it with you.

Hang in there and good luck!

34 months ago

Jenab, I didn’t see part 2 of your reply until after I sent my last reply.

Yes, I’m very frustrated and stressed-out over my current unemployment situation. However I’m still going to try my luck one day with a fake resume to see what happens. Again, I will not be following up on any telephone calls or correspondence I receive from any employer if any of them contact me about my fake resume. I just need to know is “anyone” seeing my resume and taking it seriously, that is what I need to know. When I have spent so much time sending out cover letters and resumes and never hearing an answer from anyone, I’m just wonder what is happening with my cover letters and resumes. If I never apply for a job at the companies that I’m sending the fake resumes to, I don’t see how that could ever damage my reputation let alone “permanently” damage my reputation. LOL!!! Those people don’t know me from a hole in the ground. LOL!!!

Now with that being said, I’m very happy for you and I’m glad that things are working out for you. I do wish you much success and happiness in all of your endeavors.

Again, I think the One Stop Career Center people are great people and are nice to work with as far as getting free resume help, yet I’m just very frustrated and disappointed that they were unable to help me create a winning resume that gets results. MAJOR FROWN!!! I may consider going back to them in the future, once I’ve calmed down.

In the meantime, I will consider your idea of my networking through local job clubs, professional associations and even through family, and informational interviews.

Thank you very much, Jenab.

Wilson

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

- This nasty job market is like no other!

- Competition is fierce: so many job seekers including those over-qualified and those "...match the job description to a “T” like Wilson competing for so few openings. Employers can only read X number of resumes and interview X number of folks.

- Various discrimination based on employment gaps, age, foreign names, etc.

- Met a young woman recently who's been unemployed for over a year, MBA and Microsoft, Yahoo experience. So age discrimination does not apply to her, I thought. I attributed it to, again, too many applicants for too few openings.

- One visit to the Career Center is enough for me. Don't think their advice is based on recent, real world experience. Some of them probably have been sitting at their cubicles for the last 20 years, giving out the same advice. Sorry if I offend them.

Bluetea in Texas

34 months ago

Bean counter in San Jose, California said: - This nasty job market is like no other!

- Competition is fierce: so many job seekers including those over-qualified and those "...match the job description to a “T” like Wilson competing for so few openings. Employers can only read X number of resumes and interview X number of folks.

Competiiton is really the problem. My sister works for the school district and they had an opening for a part-time evening receptionist with benefits. They had close to 3,000 applicants.

So how do you weed through all of that? Obviously, no one is going to "read" 3,000 apps.

I have been on interviews where 3 or 4 of us had that 9:00 am appointment. Heh!

34 months ago

Yes, that's why we keep hearing from the politicians that the #1 priority is to create jobs!

In the meantime, l have to accept that there're hundreds if not thousands of applicants are competing with me. For most of us, it's not a less-than-perfectly written resume -- because if it is and, in my case, how in the world did I manage to be employed for the last 20+ years with 10 different companies?!?

Bluetea in Texas

34 months ago

Bean counter in San Jose, California said: Yes, that's why we keep hearing from the politicians that the #1 priority is to create jobs!

In the meantime, l have to accept that there're hundreds if not thousands of applicants are competing with me. For most of us, it's not a less-than-perfectly written resume -- because if it is and, in my case, how in the world did I manage to be employed for the last 20+ years with 10 different companies?!?

Er, actually the #1 priority is to get elected. Heh! Read Robert Reich's, "Aftershock". This is not your daddy's job market.

34 months ago

Bean counter in San Jose, California said: - This nasty job market is like no other!

- Various discrimination based on employment gaps, age, foreign names, etc.

- Met a young woman recently who's been unemployed for over a year, MBA and Microsoft, Yahoo experience. So age discrimination does not apply to her, I thought. I attributed it to, again, too many applicants for too few openings.

- One visit to the Career Center is enough for me. Don't think their advice is based on recent, real world experience. Some of them probably have been sitting at their cubicles for the last 20 years, giving out the same advice. Sorry if I offend them.

Bean, LOL!!! . . . when you said "Some of them probably have been sitting at their cubicles for the last 20 years, giving out the same advice." Now that you mention it, I agree . . . that thought did cross my mind when I went to the One Stop Career Center for the first time. LOL!!! Yet they are nice and sweet people though :-)

Wilson

34 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Competiiton is really the problem. My sister works for the school district and they had an opening for a part-time evening receptionist with benefits. They had close to 3,000 applicants.

So how do you weed through all of that? Obviously, no one is going to "read" 3,000 apps.

I have been on interviews where 3 or 4 of us had that 9:00 am appointment. Heh!

Bluetea, your post reminds me of a job fair that we had here in Los Angeles about a couple of years ago. There were “supposedly” about 100 employers with one position open with each employer and about 3,000 people showed up for “a commission only sales job” that each employer was offering. I don’t know all of the details, yet unless the employers were offering some unknown benefits, I don’t see why anyone would go to a job fair to get a “commission only sales job”.

Wilson

34 months ago

Bean counter in San Jose, California said: Yes, that's why we keep hearing from the politicians that the #1 priority is to create jobs!

Bean, so true.

Wilson

34 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Er, actually the #1 priority is to get elected. Heh! Read Robert Reich's, "Aftershock". This is not your daddy's job market.

Bluetea, LOL!!! ;-)

Wilson

Bluetea in Texas

34 months ago

Wilson in Inglewood, California said: Bluetea, your post reminds me of a job fair that we had here in Los Angeles about a couple of years ago. There were “supposedly” about 100 employers with one position open with each employer and about 3,000 people showed up for “a commission only sales job” that each employer was offering. I don’t know all of the details, yet unless the employers were offering some unknown benefits, I don’t see why anyone would go to a job fair to get a “commission only sales job”.

Wilson

Job Fairs are absolutely a waste of time unless you need some pens and a coffee cup. How many people do you know who actually got hired from having attended a job fair?

34 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Job Fairs are absolutely a waste of time unless you need some pens and a coffee cup. How many people do you know who actually got hired from having attended a job fair?

I agree with you Bluetea. I think job fairs are a complete and total waste of time , unless one is going for some of their workshops. Yet as far as finding a job or a good job lead at a job fair, it is a bloody waste of time as far as I am concerned. Yet I learned the hard way about going to job fairs. I no longer go to them. I have never once met anyone or have come across anyone online that actually got a job due to going to a job fair. I think it is all ONLY about publicity for the employers trying to get their name out there, all under guise that they are there for the good of the community and they are there to provide jobs for those in need of a job. Yet I just believe that it is just one big joke.

Wilson

Bluetea in Texas

34 months ago

Wilson in Inglewood, California said: I agree with you Bluetea. I think job fairs are a complete and total waste of time , unless one is going for some of their workshops. Yet as far as finding a job or a good job lead at a job fair, it is a bloody waste of time as far as I am concerned. Yet I learned the hard way about going to job fairs. I no longer go to them. I have never once met anyone or have come across anyone online that actually got a job due to going to a job fair. I think it is all ONLY about publicity for the employers trying to get their name out there, all under guise that they are there for the good of the community and they are there to provide jobs for those in need of a job. Yet I just believe that it is just one big joke.

Wilson

I agree 100%. While you still see this getting a 2 minute spot on the news, the reality is that the Internet has made this form of job hunting obsolete. The companies are there to get publicity in the local papers and to push their brands.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I agree 100%. While you still see this getting a 2 minute spot on the news, the reality is that the Internet has made this form of job hunting obsolete. The companies are there to get publicity in the local papers and to push their brands.

Bluetea, I agree with you 100%!

When I was getting frustrated with job fairs last year, I asked if anyone got or know of anyone ever getting a job by going to a job fair (in a Monster.Com job search help forum) and not one person came forth to say that they did or know of anyone getting one. Yet pretty much most of the people that replied back said that job fairs are a waste of time and some pretty much said what you did . . . they basically said “the Internet has made this form of job hunting obsolete”.

Wilson

John in Catonsville, Maryland

34 months ago

The last few times I have been to job fairs (been a while now), whenever I approached a company I might be interested in, I always got the response "look at our web site and apply there". And those were job fairs that were advertised as having "immediate interviews"!!

Bluetea in Texas

34 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: The last few times I have been to job fairs (been a while now), whenever I approached a company I might be interested in, I always got the response "look at our web site and apply there". And those were job fairs that were advertised as having "immediate interviews"!!

LOL! eah and you got up, got dressed, took your resumes, paid for parking and only to hear "Look online?" You don't need to get out of bed for this?

You have attended your last job fair. Its obsolete. The companies are there for publicity now.

John in Catonsville, Maryland

34 months ago

I took to registering for the job fairs online so I could see the companies, then research the ones that sounded interesting. So much nicer than getting dressed and all that horse hooey!

34 months ago

PART 1 OF 2

John in Catonsville, I hear EXACTLY what you are saying, based on your experience at job fairs.

Last year, nearby Los Angeles, a company called “Back To Work” either put on or sponsored a job fair at Angels Stadium in Anaheim (near Disneyland), called “10,000 Jobs One Day Expo”. I am not sure how many people got jobs from that job fair, but when one of our local TV news stations interviewed 4 different job seekers (on TV) to ask how they were doing at the job fair, none of them had anything positive or optimistic to say about what they were finding at this job fair . . . one of the men (out of the only 4 they interviewed) was angry and said out to the jobs that he found there, he could have stayed home to find those exact same jobs online and apply for them all online, whereas he was even more angry because there was nobody there to interview him on the spot for the jobs that he wanted to apply for and he felt the advertising that was done for the job fair was misleading, in that they had people to think that thousands of jobs were readily available AND that employers would be there to interview you on the spot . . . yet he found out that all of the jobs he was interested in, those employers told him to do it all online, then told him that if they were interested in his application and resume, that they would contact him.

34 months ago

PART 2 OF 2

I’m not sure if they “really” had 10,000 jobs there or was it all a publicity gimmick. Yet they are having another “10,000 Jobs One Day Expo” on March 29, at the Angels Stadium again. So I guess they felt it was successful enough last year to do it again this year. Yet I’m not going to this one either. Since last summer, I started growing very frustrated with going to the local job fairs here and getting no results.My nephew went to a job fair in Los Angles last August, which was a huge job fair, but he did not get any job leads and nor did he find a job by going to it. So pretty much, I do not go to job fairs anymore, because they seem like a big waste of time. I get all dressed to impress . . . and it is all for nothing. I swear, every time I come from a job fair, I feel like I have been stood up on a date! LOL!!!

Wilson

34 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: LOL! eah and you got up, got dressed, took your resumes, paid for parking and only to hear "Look online?" You don't need to get out of bed for this?

You have attended your last job fair. Its obsolete. The companies are there for publicity now.

Bluetea, sooooooo true! LOL!!! :-)

Wilson

34 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: I took to registering for the job fairs online so I could see the companies, then research the ones that sounded interesting. So much nicer than getting dressed and all that horse hooey!

John, that is the best way to go I think. My brother had told me to always try to find out which companies that are going to be a job fair beforehand (when possible), and then just take that employer list, go to their websites directly to job hunt, and skip going to the job fair. Since more often than not, they will only tell me to go online to look for a job anyway . . . yet if I'm lucky (while at the job fair), I "may" get a pen or notepad or coffee mug or some candy. LOL!

Wilson

jenab in Austin, Texas

34 months ago

Agreed on Job Fairs; in a market flooded with jobseekers, they're a waste of time. General jobfairs are almost always for filling jobs requiring lower level skills and experience. Targeted Job Fairs -- usually associated with a professional association and not just the ones that say they're targeted-- are much rarer these days (just not enough ROI to justify the expense).

If you register for them to get the contacts, use your "this is for spam and ads" email address. Then look for a backdoor way to network into the companies you're interested in instead of relying on the gatekeepers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SDGirl in Lincoln, Nebraska

32 months ago

Wilson,
I understand your frustration.

How familiar are you with applicant tracking system software?

Angie Jones

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

SDGirl in Lincoln, Nebraska said: Wilson,
I understand your frustration.

How familiar are you with applicant tracking system software?

Angie Jones

Angie, I have only heard about the "applicant tracking system software", but I have never used it. Yet this has been a pretty good year for me thus far, as I have been getting more part-time work, and have given looking for a full-time regular job a break for now, along with no longer updating or tweeking my resume.

Wilson

32 months ago

Unfortunately, employers and recruiters are inundated with resumes due to the state of the economy. They don't have time to read each and every resume so they use ATS software to identify the best candidates to interview.

If you're using an old-school, backward-focused, one-size-fits-all resume it isn't likely to be compatible with their program. Also, many of the old Microsoft Word templates were originally built in tables. Any content in those tables is unable to be extracted by this software and your resume can simply disappear. This is how resumes become lost in the black hole.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

Angie, thank you for your feedback. So how does one make their resume standout to get on the "applicant tracking system software"? I had heard (in today's job market) to try to make sure that certain skills (as they apply to the job that the applicant is seeking) are placed prominently in the resume so that those skills can hopefully be picked-up by the employers screening program AND that such skills can be easily located by the employer when the resume is physically viewed (which is how my current resume is) . . . yet as far as I can see, such a resume has done absolutely no good for me :-(

On a side note, when you said “applicant tracking system software”, I thought you meant that service that I have seen on some job websites that have some sort of way of tracking your application once you submit it to various employers, supposedly to give you some sort of visibility of where your application is in the employers system (I think) . . . I’m not sure how it works, yet never had any interest in knowing how it works, since if I read the basics of this system correctly, I have no desire to track the applications that I submit to various employers, since 95% of the time, I never hear back from them anyway . . . which includes not even receiving one of those “auto responses” stating that they received my application and they will review my application and if my skills match what they are looking for, then they will contact me . . yada yada yada.

Wilson

Bluetea in Texas

32 months ago

SDGirl in Lincoln, Nebraska said: If you're using an old-school, backward-focused, one-size-fits-all resume it isn't likely to be compatible with their program. Also, many of the old Microsoft Word templates were originally built in tables. Any content in those tables is unable to be extracted by this software and your resume can simply disappear. This is how resumes become lost in the black hole.

The resume is going away. Doesn't matter if it is Word, PDF or written on 32lb ivory colored paper with a matching envelope. Many companies, at least in my field don't accept them anymore.

32 months ago

Bluetea,
What field are you in?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.