Temp to Hire

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (20)

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

30 months ago

Two interviews for a temp job? Things are a bit out of control.

I would think if you were on a one-person temp job for six months that the employer likes you and would offer you permanent employment if they had the money in their budget.

If you're on a temp job along with multiple people, then the above scenario would be way less likely.

They can say "temp to hire" all day long. It really means nothing.

And yes, recruiters run fake ads.

If you know of a decent agency specializing in legal in Chicago, post it here, including temp work. I haven't found a single one that doesn't deal in pure bologna.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

30 months ago

Please see my email that I sent to a staffing agency under "Who Wants to Start Naming Names?" I just don't trust them anymore. Like I said before they have become the outsourced Human Resources departments for these companies. They are very insensitive to the needs of their applicants and they need to be avoided like the plague!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Chicago, Illinois

30 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: If you know of a decent agency specializing in legal in Chicago, post it here, including temp work. I haven't found a single one that doesn't deal in pure bologna.

I have not worked with this agency personally, but it is now know like the biggest Fraud agency Robert Half, but you can try this one. It is in Downtown Chicago.
www.linderlegalstaffing.com/index.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sal in Salt Lake City, Utah

30 months ago

They tell you Temp to Hire, to get your hopes up, they know that direct hire is rare, and when they pull the rug from under you, they will tell you that it was budget cuts. Why would a company pay for costly medical insurance when they can get a temp? Their is no time limit a person can temp for so it could be a temp for years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

30 months ago

That is true. Like I said, staffing agencies have become the outsourced Human Resources Departments for these companies. They use staffing agencies just to save money.

Of course, they can't guarantee that they're going to hire you on permanently. That's up to the company that they send you to.

I used to think that way myself, but not anymore. You talk about how bad the economy is. The staffing agency industry is growing, while the other companies simply lay people off and have hiring freezes. If they want to hire somebody, they use a temp agency instead.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Chicago, Illinois

30 months ago

I have even seen postings that state the pay when you become perm. For one, how do they know for sure that it will, how long you will be a temp if they do decide to have you temp for months or more, and how can a perm wage be determined before they see how well the person does work out. They may want to pay less than the stated $2.00 an hour increase, or keep you at the same rate if you only temped for 4 months, there are may different things to think about, but in today's economy most likely they will have to remain a temp at best. Many times they will just pull the plug and realize that they staff they have on board can be worked a little harder and therefore the temp can leave.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Chicago, Illinois

30 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: Oh, no, no. Yuck. Do not recommend.

Sorry, I guess you are right they all are scum. I am sure that you tried all of them in your field already.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

30 months ago

Looks like someone deleted my comment about that staffing agency. Hmm, I wonder if the agencies read these boards? Who reading these boards and posting would actually flag a comment about an agency?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

pski172@gmail.com in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

21 months ago

I been working for a temp agency for over 5 years now, at the same company, I've been told over several different times that i was gonna get hired, but nothing has come about and I'm still here, Back in December of 2011, I was told that after the new year came in and they check their fical year, I would be hired, but as of today which is November 5, 2012 I'm still a temp..... Somebody please help me

pski172@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BillyT in Orlando, Florida

21 months ago

The "temp to hire" thing is here to stay.

My biggest advice for those frustrated of stuck being temps: find ways to discreetly apply / interview for permanent jobs. And never trust a recruiting agency. I've been screwed over by recruiting agencies often, and have been much more successful in my 'direct hire' roles, when no recruiting agencies were involved.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sleeds1 in Lenexa, Kansas

20 months ago

Sal in Salt Lake City, Utah said: They tell you Temp to Hire, to get your hopes up, they know that direct hire is rare, and when they pull the rug from under you, they will tell you that it was budget cuts. Why would a company pay for costly medical insurance when they can get a temp? Their is no time limit a person can temp for so it could be a temp for years.

I had that exact scenario happen to me. I just got laid off after only four weeks. I was working for K Force. I was there on time and I did my job. They called me fifteen minutes after I left work on Friday to tell me I was laid off due to budgetary cuts. Why would they have a training class of 30 temp-to-hires if they are just going to lay off some of them in a month. It doesn't add up.

Bluetea in Texas

20 months ago

sleeds1 in Lenexa, Kansas said: I had that exact scenario happen to me. I just got laid off after only four weeks. I was working for K Force. I was there on time and I did my job. They called me fifteen minutes after I left work on Friday to tell me I was laid off due to budgetary cuts. Why would they have a training class of 30 temp-to-hires if they are just going to lay off some of them in a month. It doesn't add up.

Many companies that hire temps, are on shaky ground financially. This is not uncommon.

The good thing about tempting is that you get a chance to find out what it would be like, if you were to go perm. Many times that would be a baaaaad decision.

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

20 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Many companies that hire temps, are on shaky ground financially. This is not uncommon.

The good thing about tempting is that you get a chance to find out what it would be like, if you were to go perm. Many times that would be a baaaaad decision.

I got laid off from every permanent job I ever got from an agency which is now three. These agencies definitely place you in companies that are somewhat shaky to begin with, hence why these companies use temp workers. I wasn't supposed to be hired at any of these positions, but they all liked me enough to buy me out of my contract. But economics caused me to be another number in the unemployed stats. Getting laid off more than once by no fault of your own is very stressful, btw.

I don't regret going to temp agencies back then because I got some great experience by going to different industries and my resume has very few gaps. But I admit, I am hesitant to go through this again with temp agencies and I am holding back on using them until my UC is about to run out.

Bluetea in Texas

20 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: I got laid off from every permanent job I ever got from an agency which is now three. These agencies definitely place you in companies that are somewhat shaky to begin with, hence why these companies use temp workers. I wasn't supposed to be hired at any of these positions, but they all liked me enough to buy me out of my contract. But economics caused me to be another number in the unemployed stats. Getting laid off more than once by no fault of your own is very stressful, btw.

I don't regret going to temp agencies back then because I got some great experience by going to different industries and my resume has very few gaps. But I admit, I am hesitant to go through this again with temp agencies and I am holding back on using them until my UC is about to run out.

It is a much different job market now. I agree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

staffing in Hudsonville, Michigan

15 months ago

It's been awhile since this topic was commented on, but some of what you said is just not true.
1. There is no such thing as a permanent job. No one can guarentee that you will have the job for the rest of your life. Even the people at the staffing companies won't be guarenteed they will have a job tomorrow. I never use the phrase "temp-to-perm" it is a lie from the minute it is said or put on paper. I use "Temp-to-Hire Opportunity" when talking to potential workers. It is a hire opportunity that may happen, but depends on a lot of factors, the least of which are attendance, attitude, productivity and quality.
2. Temp-to-Hire does happen and my guess is you are working for the "big box" temp services that use and abuse the people in their labor pool. They work on very small margins and their clients are usually cut throat employers that treat their regular full time people the same way.
3. The companies that use temps are not all on financially shaky ground. Some simply replace their 90 day introductory period with temp time. Same thing, just less risky for the hiring employer. If you can't prove yourself in 90 days, you don't get the job. Take a look at your attendance - that is the key factor for most people losing any type of job in the first 90 to 120 days. You may think you are a good worker, but if you can't make it to work every day your're scheduled and on time, why would you expect to get hired in?
4. If you are being dropped by one employer after another, through temp services, take a look at yourself. Could it be you and not the employer?
Just my thoughts and observations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

staffing in Hudsonville, Michigan said: It's been awhile since this topic was commented on, but some of what you said is just not true.
1. There is no such thing as a permanent job. No one can guarentee that you will have the job for the rest of your life. Even the people at the staffing companies won't be guarenteed they will have a job tomorrow. I never use the phrase "temp-to-perm" it is a lie from the minute it is said or put on paper. I use "Temp-to-Hire Opportunity" when talking to potential workers. It is a hire opportunity that may happen, but depends on a lot of factors, the least of which are attendance, attitude, productivity and quality.
2. Temp-to-Hire does happen and my guess is you are working for the "big box" temp services that use and abuse the people in their labor pool. They work on very small margins and their clients are usually cut throat employers that treat their regular full time people the same way.
3. The companies that use temps are not all on financially shaky ground. Some simply replace their 90 day introductory period with temp time. Same thing, just less risky for the hiring employer. If you can't prove yourself in 90 days, you don't get the job. Take a look at your attendance - that is the key factor for most people losing any type of job in the first 90 to 120 days. You may think you are a good worker, but if you can't make it to work every day your're scheduled and on time, why would you expect to get hired in?
4. If you are being dropped by one employer after another, through temp services, take a look at yourself. Could it be you and not the employer?
Just my thoughts and observations.

No job is forever anymore. If you aren't looking, you aren't safe.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Roxy.Jones in Parsippany, New Jersey

14 months ago

Temp to hire positions can work out to benefit a potential employee landing something more permanent. If it doesn't work out there are many agencies that work with those seeking work to find another position that is available. I came across an additional link that I found to be helpful- www.bearstaff.com/Staffing-Services/Temp-to-Hire.aspx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Shpalmer in Bayonne, New Jersey

10 months ago

I cannot understand for the life of me why the Department of labor, labor laws, or whoever make these employment laws would allow these Temp Agencies and employers to fraudulently advertise these fake jobs and repeatedly abuse the trust of innocent Job seekers across this country. There's absolutely no type of mandatory control procedures in place. Until such action is taken, this will never end. What a shame!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lynne in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

9 months ago

If the people in Washington cared about the well being of people and the economy they would put some kind of law in place. That employers must state the pay, post only jobs that are going to fill and quite giving candidates a song and dance. HR would not have to ignore calls when they are just looking at the caller id and decide if they want to pick up the phone or not. That is how it was back in the day, and they were respected not today.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

9 months ago

Lynne in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: If the people in Washington cared about the well being of people and the economy they would put some kind of law in place. That employers must state the pay, post only jobs that are going to fill and quite giving candidates a song and dance. HR would not have to ignore calls when they are just looking at the caller id and decide if they want to pick up the phone or not. That is how it was back in the day, and they were respected not today.

If that were to happen, you'd be running your re-election campaign out of the trunk of a 1985 Oldsmobile in the parking lot of a 99 cents store.

It takes money to seek office. Where do you think it comes from?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.