How long until you change your resume?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

newjobseeker in Fullerton, California

26 months ago

Hello there, I'm currently on the hunt for a new job in a different industry and I'm somewhat new to job seeking since I've been consistently employed since I was 16. I am currently employed. I have submitted my resume and/or cover letter to 13 companies within the past 4 weeks and have only received one follow-up phone interview (waiting for an in-person interview) and one appointment with a recruiter. I've had several emails from recruiters for I'm looking for perm work and they are basically offering contract work.

When do you re-group and update your resume and/or cover letter due to lack of response. Thanks for any help out there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JD in Yerington, Nevada

26 months ago

You should chsnge resume for every single job for which you apply, targeting it for each position/employer. In real world, this won't happen. I suggest changing the format of your resume - if you're using a chronological format, go to a functional or combination format. Since you're looking in a different industry, it could be that your resume focus isn't what employers are wanting to see. If you can, though, change/update the skill sets on your resume to match the job requirements for each position - it's a little more work, but it can pay off pretty well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

26 months ago

No job is permanent anymore, even if you're hired on as a regular employee. In some fields, contract is the norm, and if you're switching fields, you're less likely to be offered the premium positions.

Have you updated your resume at all to reflect the position you're seeking? Job postings tell you what companies are looking for; make sure your resume aligns with it and clear out the clutter. Your master resume should align with the overall postings for your target field (and industry). When you're applying to a specific posting, it needs to be customized for that specific posting.

Close doesn't count, and the harder the recruiter or hiring manager has to work to see how you relate to what they're looking for, the less interested they'll be. And you're really lucky if they spend 10 seconds looking at it.

If you've not had any contact from the resumes you've sent out in 2-3 weeks it's a good indication something isn't working in your overall resume. It's not meant to be a detailed work history; Resumes never get you a job, only contact to talk about a job.

It should be one page, and simply formatted in an easy to read font. It should only contain 10-15 years relevant work experience. Work experience should only be listed in reverse chronological order. Relevant skills need to be easy to find on that one page.

Reach out to friends and family (or others) who are good at constructive feedback to help you identify how your resume can be improved. Get involved with local professional interest groups, and find a mentor. There are plenty of "Career Transitions" groups out there, affiliated with industries, and even community- and faith- based groups.

And even if you aren't actively looking, you still need to periodically update your resume. You need to be prepared for opportunities as well as disasters.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Joshua07 in Philippines

26 months ago

You should change your resume if you are finding a new job, so that you can include your last work experience or changing your preferences. Every time you apply for a new job edit your resume and make it better than the old one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.