This feels like a death sentence

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 252)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

27 months ago

I've been out of work for so long that I have a hard time seeing an employer that will give me a chance anymore.

Since the calendar turned over, it appears that I've been unemployed for a year longer than I have, as I left my last job at the end of a calendar year.

I've had a fair amount of interviews during this employment gap but just haven't been able to get hired. I've interviewed at five different offices in the last five months, including a second interview at one of those offices. I just cannot land a job in my field, which has been totally decimated over the last five years. Plus, I don't think employers will look as much at my experience and skills as much as they will look at my employment gap and brand me right off the bat.

I don't know what to do anymore. I've cashed in everything and am on the last four figures of money I have left. My home is worth less than I purchased it for but has equity, and I'll have to sell it. I have no idea if it will sell or where I'll go if it does, as I probably can't rent without a job. The equity in my home is my last hope.

I have no idea what to do. And the stress is bubbling up in a big way lately, as I've cashed everything out and will run out of money in probably another five or six months if I don't sell my home.

I just don't see any opportunity or any way out. And I don't see how any one employer won't judge me for this employment gap. People say something will come up, but it's not happening. And the humiliation of it all is overwhelming.

Yes, I'm ranting. No, I'm not the only one in this position. But I'm a guy who is somewhat intelligent, who had a stable job history, who has a good deal of experience and skill, and it's not doing anything for me anymore.

It's just all collapsing on me, and the pressure of it is enormous.

I know there are no answers other than to keep my head up and something will pop up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

Isn't it great? I feel like my initial post was a response to a job ad and that Chad's reply is the usual reply I get to my response to a job ad.

I'm tired of the obvious scams, the job opportunity spam, the phone calls soliciting health insurance and something to do with credit cards (obviously taken from my resume submitted to job ads that must be fake) and the recruiters.

I get 10 times as many spam emails and spam phone calls as I do legitimate calls back for jobs. It's an instant delete (without opening the email) and a hangup in response to these things, but still. It gets to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

I'm not upset at your post. I'm just so sick of the spam and scams stemming from my job search. You're spamming. Also, since the time I posted this thread a few hours ago, I got one of those spam bot phone calls on my phone. I had another one earlier today, as well as one piece of spam email connected to my job search.

Does this perhaps clear up why I'm so sick of this illegitimate responses to my legitimate attempts to gain employment, especially when the legitimate responses are few and far between?

Do all job seekers a favor and stop spamming us. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

27 months ago

I don't know what to say buddy.

I wish I had answers for you.

I wish you the best.

Chad, Chad, Chad.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Greg in Cary, NC

27 months ago

Are you married, if so is your wife working?

Many people are hopeful to remain in their prior career but sometimes a career change is necessary. Do you have family that can help you out financially?

I know you are unhappy to say, but how long have you been out of work ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano, TX

27 months ago

I will pray for you that things get better for you very soon. That he guides and guards you in this very difficult time.

If you say your field was decimated in the past few years maybe its time to go on a new directionthan trying to finding something that field. God Bless.

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

27 months ago

Sorry dude. Right there with you. Actually, they just released something that said that 1 in 2 new grads next month will be either unemployed, or underemployed. Thought I couldn't land a job before? Wait until all the local unis dump a class each of fresh young buds into the workforce. May as well move now =P

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hotdiggity in Ajax, Ontario

27 months ago

Chad Beckwith Smith in Ottawa, Ontario said: No more nepotism or friends of friends or even bribes

That's funny you mention this..
I was talking to a recruiter about a position with a very large software company a few months ago.
In talking to him, I found out he was a contractor working for the company as part of a managed service.
In the end, I didn't get put through to an interview due to lack of experience (HA!)
Well, at least he was honest.

But, I thought about it a few days later and I wondered.. what if I had had a separate conversation with him, on the side, and offered him $5000 to make sure I was the MOST QUALIFIED he put through.
I could have offered him a few hundred to get to the interview, and the rest if I secured the position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

I'm single.

I could ask a sibling for financial support, but that to me is so humiliating that I'd have to be on my last several hundred in order to do it.

My bills aren't high at all, but without income and reserves getting dangerously low it scares the daylights out of me.

I'll never post how long I've been out of work. It's embarrassing enough to have to report the number when I get interviews.

I had an interview about three weeks ago. I've had two other interviews since the start of the year. I put out approximately 50 resumes over the last three weeks and haven't received a single call.

I suppose I could go into another field, but this is all I've ever done. Transitioning out of this field seems very difficult to me.

It's just all caving in, and I'm painting myself into a corner.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

I'm single.

I could ask a sibling for financial support, but that to me is so humiliating that I'd have to be on my last several hundred in order to do it.

My bills aren't high at all, but without income and reserves getting dangerously low it scares the daylights out of me.

I'll never post how long I've been out of work. It's embarrassing enough to have to report the number when I get interviews.

I had an interview about three weeks ago. I've had two other interviews since the start of the year. I put out approximately 50 resumes over the last three weeks and haven't received a single call.

I suppose I could go into another field, but this is all I've ever done. Transitioning out of this field seems very difficult to me.

It's just all caving in, and I'm painting myself into a corner.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

My dad just got a job at a supermarket, delivering food to older folks who can't get out themselves. Here's a guy who through all the 70's and 80's, was putting expensive dinners on the company tab to impress clients. He has more experience in telecommunications in his pinkie finger, than all of AT&T combined. But because of his age (63), they won't touch him with a 10 foot pole. They'd rather have 4 20-somethings fumble around trying to learn how to do the job for cheap, than 1 person who's been at it for 30 years.

This is why our healthcare system *has* to change. Healthcare should not be so expensive, that employers are avoiding older workers because they have more health issues. If healthcare was not so expensive, the job would be going to the person with the most experience, not the person with the least likely need to go to the doctor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

my advice in Livonia, Michigan

27 months ago

I'm going to have to go with what everyone previously stated and advise you to apply for jobs, ANY job at this point. construction, retail, hospitality, factory jobs. Unfortunately, when times are desperate you need to push your pride aside to survive. I saw a 50 year old guy who looked like he worked as an office manager somewhere and he was working the cash register at Starbucks. He had to do what he had to do to put food on the table. Any cash flow is better than nothing coming in, whether it be a minimum wage paycheck or not. If you are a guy, I suggest you try to apply for a construction job or a factory job like Caterpillar. Do whatever you need to do to stay afloat, even if it is just for the time being. Good luck Parafreegal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

27 months ago

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts said: This is why our healthcare system *has* to change. Healthcare should not be so expensive, that employers are avoiding older workers because they have more health issues. If healthcare was not so expensive, the job would be going to the person with the most experience, not the person with the least likely need to go to the doctor.

Heh! I said this 30 years ago. As long as health care is tied to employment, its going to be problem.

I have been told flat out, not to hire so and so because they are too, hmmm, er, aaaaah "overqualified".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Yep in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

27 months ago

I really don't know what to say, have you ever considered changing fields? Maybe you should take up a hobby to relieve your stress, all stress does is make you sick.

Its easy to say "stay positive" when you feel like you're at the end of your rope.

Its easy to say "go out and network" when you may not know anyone, and even if you do connect with people on linkedin and ask for a lead, they don't respond, which is the online equilivent of looking at you funny.

Its easy to say "take a job, any job" when virtually no one is hiring, and you have to deal with spam and scams and recruiters leading you on.

Its easy to say "go back to school" when you cant afford it, and even if you did, no major guarantees a job, even STEM majors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy in Nashville, Tennessee

27 months ago

Parafreegal,

Just wondering... but how old are you ?

27 months ago

I'm just a tad north of 40. :)

The thing about taking the part-time, low paying job is that once you take it, that's going to be your market value going forward. That's how it seems to me.

I have experience. I have skill. Showcasing both to gain employment is nearly impossible with a glaring gap staring employers in the face.

I'm paying for my own healthcare, but, as some of you may know, this is a huge drain just based on premiums alone.

The one thing I can say is that I do have my health (knock wood) and have had no health issues during this employment gap (knock wood again). I just can't cancel the $200/month premiums because not having insurance scares the living daylights out of me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

27 months ago

For me, I can not justify or consider taking a low paying job (minimum wage to $10) at all unless it just might be in walking distance. Otherwise, the significant portion of the take home would go for gasoline, with very little left for things like, oh lets say mortgage, food, car insurance and maintenance, utilities, etc, etc, etc..... for me, not worth it with gasoline being the better part of $4 a gallon!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Pleasant Valley, New York

27 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: For me, I can not justify or consider taking a low paying job (minimum wage to $10) at all unless it just might be in walking distance. Otherwise, the significant portion of the take home would go for gasoline, with very little left for things like, oh lets say mortgage, food, car insurance and maintenance, utilities, etc, etc, etc..... for me, not worth it with gasoline being the better part of $4 a gallon!

I agree, once you take the low paying job, your looked upon as 2nd rate when it comes to future interviews.

And, it you take a big ego hit working a low pay job.

I wish all HR, recruiters, hiring mgrs would read the Indeed forums!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

I meant ............ you take a big ego hit working a low pay job.124

27 months ago

I meant ............ you take a big ego hit working a low pay job.124

27 months ago

Yeah talk about a dead end! What am I supposed to do, when a "real job" looks on my resume for the last 10 years, and the first thing that isn't a gap or retail is from 2005? 2 years, ill family member. 3 years, retail. 18 month, gap. then retail over the holidays. And now, a merchandising job.

I have a damn Master's degree, and yes it's in an apparently useless area...but I get ZERO respect for having one at all. All they see, is the above....which makes them not hire me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Searching in San Diego, California

27 months ago

This may be "normal" in the U.S. going forward. I don't mean that negatively, just that things have changed. The one thing you can always count on is change. I am struggling right now to find a creative way to readjust; none of this is easy. New tools are needed. I'm trying to look at the spiritual lessons as well. Some things have come to mind:

- "ego hit" (Sorry, Joe Gagill) - Yeah, ego and self-will are probably what has gotten me into the position I am in now. I had a lot of help and training in using these "tools" over the years. Did I ever really ponder how what I wanted or willed would serve the common good of myself and others?

- What I focus most on will become my biggest problem - like obsessing over the gap in my resume - no criticism meant here. Parafreegal, I know that you are having a really difficult time and that you are scared. I work on giving my mind and body, what I call, a "mini-vacation." So, I just stop focusing on what's "wrong" and making me feel worthless and miserable. I've learned that my obsessing is a way to not feel my feelings and to not allow myself to be present. The mini-vacays give me an opportunity to be what God intended me to be, a human being, not a "human doing." If I don't feel my feelings then they come out in other ways passive aggressively. If I'm not present I am unable to effectively accomplish the tasks at hand. This will certainly come out, whether I want it to or not, as I make my way in the world.

- I must focus on faith and the possibility of miracles.

- I don't have to let go entirely, but I can let go a little.

- It's always a good idea to adjust my attitude. M. Gandhi said it best, "Be the change you want to see in the world."

- I can love, like, and accept myself even if others don't seem to - even if I have made mistakes, bad decisions, can't get hired, don't make the big bucks, etc.

27 months ago

i always think about starting my own business. but it's a bit scary.

then i tell myself once i find a good job i'll start my own business on the side during the weekends. part time. see where it goes.

what business have you thought about starting yourself Parafreegal?

Something must have crossed your mind in the last few years. something easy to start with no overhead or something your professionally skilled at....................

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Denver, Colorado

27 months ago

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts said: This is why our healthcare system *has* to change. Healthcare should not be so expensive, that employers are avoiding older workers because they have more health issues. If healthcare was not so expensive, the job would be going to the person with the most experience, not the person with the least likely need to go to the doctor.

It's amazing how much the employer-sponsored health insurance paradigm distorts the economy, and yet there is so much resistance to changing it.

27 months ago

^that's probably because most of the ideas to change it involve making it even more expensive for the individual than it already is, allowing companies to pocket whatever they save as a result.

The answer needs to be "hey, it shouldn't cost $10,000 for that simple procedure." Someone with authority needs to see it, say it, and change it. Just the hospital bed alone these days is $1000 a day, just to lay in it.

Average in Medford, Massachusetts

27 months ago

Hotdiggity in Ajax, Ontario said:

But, I thought about it a few days later and I wondered.. what if I had had a separate conversation with him, on the side, and offered him $5000 to make sure I was the MOST QUALIFIED he put through.
I could have offered him a few hundred to get to the interview, and the rest if I secured the position.

Upper middle class parents and their children are already paying for internships. Most internships that require enrollment in a degree program are paid for indirectly by students through tuition.

I'm starting to think it's always been that way. Opportunities are something that someone has to buy.

27 months ago

Oh, I'm not starting my own business.

Lots of people have told me I should be a writer of some sort, but I would never know how to utilize that skill outside of the field in which I've worked.

Everyone gets a break in order to get the job into which they're hired, right? I need to find that one person who will look at my experience and skill and be able to see what I can bring to the table. But I'm afraid all any prospective employer looks at is the employment gap.

Meanwhile, employers continue to make great calls on hiring people. My friend tells me the last two people hired with his outfit have both been fired due to their conduct on the job.

One has to wonder what hiring managers are thinking and who these people are to continually do the things referenced in these forums and make such egregious calls.

To the guy who basically said I need to decompress and "vacay" once in awhile, I'm well past that stage. That bird has flown. But I appreciate the thought.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

^ Yeah, I also appreciate places like Whole Foods sending me form rejection letters that say, "we appreciate your application, but you were not the best qualified candidate for the position."

Seriously? They should be falling over themselves to hire me, for as long as the economy is so bad that I'm even applying to them. Does my resume not translate into, "this guy would make an excellent manager, and maybe even more down the road?" Because it should be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

joe in Loch Sheldrake, New York

26 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: Oh, I'm not starting my own business.

Lots of people have told me I should be a writer of some sort, but I would never know how to utilize that skill outside of the field in which I've worked.

Everyone gets a break in order to get the job into which they're hired, right? I need to find that one person who will look at my experience and skill and be able to see what I can bring to the table. But I'm afraid all any prospective employer looks at is the employment gap.

Meanwhile, employers continue to make great calls on hiring people. My friend tells me the last two people hired with his outfit have both been fired due to their conduct on the job.

One has to wonder what hiring managers are thinking and who these people are to continually do the things referenced in these forums and make such egregious calls.

To the guy who basically said I need to decompress and "vacay" once in awhile, I'm well past that stage. That bird has flown. But I appreciate the thought.

I hope I didn't upset you.

I totally agree with you about employers contantly choosing the wrong candidate over and over and over again. I've seen it alot at my previous jobs.

Millions of job seekers are in the same unemployed boat. Some deserve it and some don't.

Unemployed elementary teacher in Central, Indiana

26 months ago

joe in Loch Sheldrake, New York said: I hope I didn't upset you.

I totally agree with you about employers contantly choosing the wrong candidate over and over and over again. I've seen it alot at my previous jobs.

Millions of job seekers are in the same unemployed boat. Some deserve it and some don't.

I hear that. One of the jobs I got rejected for was a job where they hired one of those teachers who had sex with a student. Myself, I would never touch a kid. I love children and would never hurt them, yet I see dirt bag teachers who hurt kids with jobs. It is all about who you know.

I am at the point where I will apply for anything. Anyhow, I applied for this factory job a couple weeks. I got rejected because I am not a welfare recipient.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Miguel Libos in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26 months ago

What happens when all your money runs out and you still haven't found a job ?

You can only hold your breath under water for so long.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

26 months ago

Hence the continuing foreclosures and economic issues going on. Jobs, even full time, at or near minimum wage simply forestalls the inevitable.

26 months ago

It's incessant garbage like this ^^^ via this board, email and by phone that makes you question whether any anonymously placed job ad is legitimate.

Chad, with all due respect, **** off. Nobody wants your garbage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

26 months ago

Parafreegal, I'm sorry the pressure is threatening to overwhelm you. While I've not been in exactly the same position, I was in an equivalent one last time I was RIFd. This time around I am keenly aware of that daily.

There are no easy answers, and none for the financial pressures. But I have a couple of suggestions for you.

When I worked in tech support, when we'd get stuck trying to resolve an issue, we'd go back to the beginning and check our assumptions. It would give a fresh look and sometimes help us see something we overlooked. That could help with the search.

You might want to consider volunteering; it doesn't matter where. But that's work, and that can go on your resume and help with the gap. It also helps with the tunnel vision that can happen with all that pressure. And it could help you connect with someone who can help you land your next paying position.

(Now if only my magic wand wasn't on the fritz, we'd all be in fulfilling, well-compensated jobs)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

mary in Tampa, Florida

26 months ago

The realtor is coming tonight. I have a nice house with a pool. I can't stay in this house with an $80,000 mortgage. I woke up at 4:00 this morning - with all the same emotional crap Parafreegal has. I have been substitute teaching for four years now. I haven't gotten another legal job. I'm working on finding court reporting work. I let my certification go years ago. I think I am going to buy one of those supercheap houses $3,000 in a state that doesn't require certification. At least I will have a home.

26 months ago

Mary, I'm in the same situation as you are, as you know. Real estate wise, my situation is very close to yours in all aspects. I have no option but to sell as well because I do happen to have equity in my home. It's not as much as it once was, but I have to tap it because I'm running out of money and can't lose the equity. I don't know where I'll live after selling because I won't have a job. Who rents to someone without a job?

It just eats at me every day, especially at night towards bed time. There just is no way out.

Employment wise, it's this bad. I met with a screwball recruiter about six months ago who claimed he couldn't pull up a copy of my resume because their system was down, took a phone call in the middle of our discussion, basically told me because of my gap he couldn't do anything for me (including temp wise) and then never emailed me back like he said he would (shock).

What do you do when you're even rejected for temp work by some loser recruiter who only lies to you?

I try hard not to let on to anyone how bad it is, but inside it's really bad.

Ephraim in Chicago, Illinois

26 months ago

After eight months of looking, I just landed a part-time job working two days a week. It's far away and I'll have to wake up at 5am on Sundays, but at least I'l be able to say I am working. I don't know why it's been so hard to obtain one full-time job with halfway decent benefits. I have a job interview coming up for another part-time job. If I get that job, I'll be able to make a full work week.

endoftheworld in West Hartford, Connecticut

26 months ago

Ditto, ditto, to all the above.
Nothing positive to add :-(
yeh, long term unemployment is like a death sentence, just like terminal cancer, it is a very bizarre/unreal predicament to be in, utterly "twilightzonelike" esp. when the community you live in is thriving economically, you don't personally know anyone in the same situation or even close and it's Saturday night and the local restaurant parking lots are full and you feel like you might be a different species alltogether or living in some sort of parallel universe which i've felt my entire life as it were but much more intensely after being out of work for over 3 yrs.
I now get heart palpitations with extreme anxiety every single night too, my heart is pounding like I just went thru heavy physical exercise, I am virtually panting and gasping for air.
There is nothing positive to think about, delusional I am not.
Thank God for my Teddy Bears, Big Boober, Little Boober, Penny and Benjamin. I'd actually recommend a large stuffed animal to cuddle with if one is feeling really awful, it's better than sobbing into your pillow and it gives you a reason to go to bed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Danny in McLean, VA

26 months ago

You will find work. I felt like a zombie during my job search so I can relate to when you say twilight zone. What are your plans in the near future?

endoftheworld in West Hartford, Connecticut

26 months ago

Danny, Um there are NO plans, i am just waiting for my money to end or the End of the World whichever comes 1st.
Hell will freeze over before I get a job, most likely. I literally have not worked since December 30, 2008 tho i've applied to over 2000 jobs and had over 70 interviews, only 2 this yr.
I am incapable of enrolling in any kind of "program" not even learning basic Spanish thru HS Adult Ed.
Networking and self employment are not options either, I lack the personality/energy for that.
I've thought of everything I could possibly do even going on match.com and attaching myself to someone who's really desparate for a mate but realistically there is nothing other than Divine Intervention sending a job or finding a huge wad of cash in the local park!
I had contacted Hearst Media about removing my online police blotter from Jan. '04 but they won't do it and told me if I contact them again on it, they'll have me arrested for harassment and all's I did was explain how this was keeping me from getting hired everytime an employer googles my name and their answer was pretty much, "tough luck, that's not our problem".
So basically whatever Fate has in store is what is gonna happen. I have no plans of my own.

26 months ago

Huh. How long does stuff like that stay on your record? Because as soon as it comes off, "Hearst Media" should need to take it off their site as well. Otherwise, it could be construed as defamation of character.

I'm no lawyer, but I don't think that they have any right to spill beans on you without your consent, especially after the law has let it fade away.

Mdk451 in Cape Coral, Florida

26 months ago

I have read this whole thread and felt that maybe I might be able to offer some advice. Finding a job in today’s market is harder than it has ever been. This is due to the fact that job applications are being processed through the internet. Human resources departments and recruiters are using keywords to eliminate thousands of applicants just so the work load can be manageable. This system often doesn’t find the best candidate but does find a body to fill the position. The market is also allowing employers to find overqualified applicants that are willing to work for less. This in return allows for employers to cut cost and absorb the costs of hiring the wrong person. So each of us has to ask ourselves what are you willing to do to gain employment? Filling out more applications probably won’t be any more successful unless we are willing to change. Some of us will need to change careers, some of us will need to learn new skills, but all of us will have to change something! Social networking with sites like Linkedin and even Facebook will help because the majority of jobs are acquired through who you know. The person who made the suggestion for starting your own business or selling your own product was excellent advice for some of you. The other person advice about not focusing on the employment gap was also excellent advice for others. The other advice I thought worthy of repeating is the volunteering. If truly you believe that the gap in your work history is preventing you from gaining unemployment then change your resume to fill in the gap. Do this as an experiment to see if you can get more interviews. If not then the problem is in the cover letter, keywords, or references.
Though I believe networking and marketing is still the best way to gain employment. If you need some exposure try this: Dress as if you are going to an interview and make a sign that says: your education level, skills and “seeking Full-Time Emplo

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Danny in McLean, VA

26 months ago

^^^
I have seen that on TV where people stand in downtown with a sign 'Looking for Work' and people help them find work after news station covers it.

Lots of people are in the same boat as you but are shy and bashful to date due to their lack of employment. I'm sure there is a singles group in your town.

JBVO in Louisville, Kentucky

26 months ago

Mdk451, this is the most ridiculous advice I've ever seen. Stand on a street corner with a sign saying "I need a job" with your Facebook and linkedin accounts, e-mail address, and phone number? Really? What planet are you on? Have you ever done this before? If you have, kindly educate us. Let us know if standing on a street corner with an "I need a job" sign worked for you.

Volunteering doesn't pay the bills and if you don't have the gas money to get to the place you're volunteering at, you're not going to be able to do that.

I have Facebook and linkedin both and neither has helped me. I've joined and posted in so many groups on linkedin like there's no tomorrow with no results. Same with Facebook.

You can market yourself all day long, but at the end of the day, none of that really matters to most employers because they hire friends, relatives, or from within the company and that's the only way you'll ever get a job. Standing on a street corner with an "I need a job" sign or using Facebook and linkedin are not going to be enough.

You must have a good-paying job right now which is why all of this is easy for you to say. For the people on this forum and the millions of other Americans out of work right now, most of what you are saying is not very helpful whatsoever.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Danny in McLean, VA

26 months ago

This question is for all you folks. lets say you won $20,000 from a lotto scratch off ticket...

What would you do in terms of your next step?

Move to another city/state, pay off bills, career change, reinvent yourself, etc? ???

26 months ago

So you should keep doing the same things that aren't working for you. That sounds like great advice. Have you ever offered a job to a person on the street corner who was holding a "will work for food" sign. He/she won't even take it. Do you know why? They make more money standing there pan-handling and secondly it works. The reason for volunteering was to close the gaps in a persons work history.

If you don't have the money for gas and bills you would think you would be a little more receptive to thinking outside of the box. Just keep doing what your doing and getting the same results.

by the way it was featured on the news not long ago. I'm not even that smart to come up with an idea like that on my own.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

I would start up another business if I had won the money on a scratch off ticket. I feel moving to another state/city would change the scene but not fix the problem. Paying off some of my revolving credit would be my second option. This would lower the pressure of covering my whole expenses.

26 months ago

I get paid this friday. It goes entirely to rent, so it's already spent. In two weeks, that's already spent too. My income for the year, at $12/hr....32 hours a week...is already spent. I'm about 12K in debt.

Hey, at least I'm not getting FURTHER in debt, right? I'm just treading water until something better comes along.

BTW, our panhandlers here in Boston are on so many streetcorners at this point, that they've developed a system. They go to the busiest intersections they can find, fan out, and take cars coming in all directions that have to stop at lights. Captive audience. They've also started riding the subway in all directions, waiting until the train moves, and holding everyone in their cab captive with their sob story.

I bet a lot of them make more money per hour than I do to go to work, and they may even have state-sponsored health care. I have no health care, because the last time I checked costs, it would be $300 a month JUST FOR ME!

26 months ago

Parafreegal,

Right about now your probably thinking....."I was reaching out for some help and this is what I get." LOL. ( including my post to you )

26 months ago

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts said: I get paid this friday. It goes entirely to rent, so it's already spent. In two weeks, that's already spent too. My income for the year, at $12/hr....32 hours a week...is already spent. I'm about 12K in debt.

Hey, at least I'm not getting FURTHER in debt, right? I'm just treading water until something better comes along.

BTW, our panhandlers here in Boston are on so many streetcorners at this point, that they've developed a system. They go to the busiest intersections they can find, fan out, and take cars coming in all directions that have to stop at lights. Captive audience. They've also started riding the subway in all directions, waiting until the train moves, and holding everyone in their cab captive with their sob story.

I bet a lot of them make more money per hour than I do to go to work, and they may even have state-sponsored health care. I have no health care, because the last time I checked costs, it would be $300 a month JUST FOR ME!

I bet a person could make at least 10 bucks an hr standing at a busy intersection.

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »