Newspaper Classifieds (I Miss That; Hate Searching and Applying Online)

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (40)

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

15 months ago

I miss the good ol' days when you could buy a newspaper and search the classifieds for work.

When I was a little girl, the Great Lakes Bulletin had a large classifieds section. It was so large and jobs were so plentiful that the Federal Government used to have its own jobs section.

Those were the days.

I hate having to search for work online. I hate having to deal with certain HR hiring software like Taleo. I hate signing up for account after account and trying to keep track of all the log in information. I hate having to post my résumé online. I hate having to deal with vague Craigslist job ads or vague job ads anywhere else for that matter. I hate finding little to no jobs every time I search Monster and CareerBuilder. I hate all these partnerships with Monster and CareerBuilder (they seem frackin' useless.) I hate it all. I wish print wasn't dying. I wish employers would revert back to newspapers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

15 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: I miss the good ol' days when you could buy a newspaper and search the classifieds for work.

When I was a little girl, the Great Lakes Bulletin had a large classifieds section. It was so large and jobs were so plentiful that the Federal Government used to have its own jobs section.

Those were the days.

I hate having to search for work online. I hate having to deal with certain HR hiring software like Taleo. I hate signing up for account after account and trying to keep track of all the log in information. I hate having to post my résumé online. I hate having to deal with vague Craigslist job ads or vague job ads anywhere else for that matter. I hate finding little to no jobs every time I search Monster and CareerBuilder. I hate all these partnerships with Monster and CareerBuilder (they seem frackin' useless.) I hate it all. I wish print wasn't dying. I wish employers would revert back to newspapers.

Miss it all too my friend. It wasn't even a decade ago that you could look forward to a large Sunday edition of the newspaper and just pour over the ads. It was even better 20 years ago. There was a certain excitement you got by purchasing a big newspaper when you were on the hunt. You could call up real live employers and find out immediately if they were still looking for work and if you could please have an interview with them.

These were good times indeed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in Geronimo, Texas

15 months ago

Help Wanted Female...Always paid less than Help Wanted Male....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

15 months ago

Cue Blue's "my daddy always said these computers are supposed to make everything easier but they're making things harder" quote.

Newspaper ads sucked in the day too. The big difference was back then you wouldn't receive spam, robo-calls and robo-texts as a result of job submissions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: Miss it all too my friend. It wasn't even a decade ago that you could look forward to a large Sunday edition of the newspaper and just pour over the ads. It was even better 20 years ago. There was a certain excitement you got by purchasing a big newspaper when you were on the hunt. You could call up real live employers and find out immediately if they were still looking for work and if you could please have an interview with them.

These were good times indeed.

When my mother was born in 1923, my grandfather bought several newspaper, which we still have. Some of the classifieds are just priceless. Well, at least they were honest.

On the day my great niece was born, I also bought some newspapers. I don't think they will be around when she gets older. I also hope she will enjoy the articles as much as we do reading the articles of 1923.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: I miss the good ol' days when you could buy a newspaper and search the classifieds for work.

When I was a little girl, the Great Lakes Bulletin had a large classifieds section. It was so large and jobs were so plentiful that the Federal Government used to have its own jobs section.

Those were the days.

I hate having to search for work online. I hate having to deal with certain HR hiring software like Taleo. I hate signing up for account after account and trying to keep track of all the log in information. I hate having to post my résumé online. I hate having to deal with vague Craigslist job ads or vague job ads anywhere else for that matter. I hate finding little to no jobs every time I search Monster and CareerBuilder. I hate all these partnerships with Monster and CareerBuilder (they seem frackin' useless.) I hate it all. I wish print wasn't dying. I wish employers would revert back to newspapers.

And have you tried to send a telegram lately? Geez, what a pain that is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Calfornian in Hayward, California

15 months ago

I don't remember newspapers being any better. I do remember it being much easier to find a job, but, I'm not entirely sure that there's a cause and effect there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

15 months ago

Calfornian in Hayward, California said: I don't remember newspapers being any better. I do remember it being much easier to find a job, but, I'm not entirely sure that there's a cause and effect there.

You're missing the point.

Newspapers are better, in part, because it's easier to find a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

15 months ago

I also think newspapers are better because employers are more sincere about finding someone. I just don't get that feeling with this online crap.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

15 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: I hate having to search for work online. I hate having to deal with certain HR hiring software like Taleo. I hate signing up for account after account and trying to keep track of all the log in information. I hate having to post my résumé online. I hate having to deal with vague Craigslist job ads or vague job ads anywhere else for that matter. I hate finding little to no jobs every time I search Monster and CareerBuilder. I hate all these partnerships with Monster and CareerBuilder (they seem frackin' useless.) I hate it all. I wish print wasn't dying. I wish employers would revert back to newspapers.

You hate alot! Love makes the hate go away babe and I'm in love with a girl from North Carolina.

The problem today is that most good jobs just aren't advertised anywhere. Headhunters have taken nearly most good jobs out of circulation and what's left is the bs jobs.

If there were no Headhunters, aka middlemen, companies would have to advertise their open positions to the public and newspapers would still play a big role with local positions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: You're missing the point.

Newspapers are better, in part, because it's easier to find a job.

Do you subscribe to a daily newspaper?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

15 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Do you subscribe to a daily newspaper?

I can't afford it.

We buy weekend papers when we can afford it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Doheny in Halethorpe, Maryland

15 months ago

Ahh I miss it. They worked great for me when they were still used, but I still use the local newspapers online classified section for job ads. Not as scammy as craigslist ads since someone at the paper reviews them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: I can't afford it.

We buy weekend papers when we can afford it.

Exactly. Most people have neither the money or the time for newspapers anymore. Its a dying field.

www.aim.org/don-irvine-blog/new-study-predicts-the-death-of-newspapers-in-five-years/

By the way, next month, the last telegram will be sent. The telegram will go the way of the telephone booth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

15 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Do you subscribe to a daily newspaper?

Many "daily" print newspapers don't exist these days. But, then again, I bet you already knew that, didn't you?

Doheny in Halethorpe, Maryland said: Ahh I miss it. They worked great for me when they were still used, but I still use the local newspapers online classified section for job ads. Not as scammy as craigslist ads since someone at the paper reviews them.

Hey neighbor. Good to see another person from this area on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

15 months ago

Every time I see an Advertising Sales job for a Newspaper I pass.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

15 months ago

Doheny in Halethorpe, Maryland said: ...I still use the local newspapers online classified section for job ads.

Most newspapers partner with Monster or CareerBuilder and I'm always asking myself,"where's the jobs?" when I search those sites. They're either non-existent or there's a piss poor selection to comb through. Heck, most are by staffing/employment agencies who are reluctant to tell who the employer is. I hate those company confidential ads. I, personally, don't want to deal with a company that remains confidential. I find that at least half the jobs on Monster are a little on the iffy side, especially in the arts/communications industries. When I see these company confidential ads it makes me suspicious of the company. My thinking is if they don't want to tell me where I'm sending my personal information, I'm not going to send that information to just anyone without having some idea what or who is involved. It's like a safety thing to me. My guess is that they're posting by staffing/employment agency recruiters who have no real jobs to offer and are just posting company confidential ads to create a candidate pool in which they can SPAM people later on down the road with jobs they're NOT qualified or re interested in. 'm tired of staffing/employment agencies. They should be illegal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

15 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Its a dying field.

It's sad. Print is important and, for a lot of people, print continues to be the best way to find out what's going on locally, and find good advertising deals. I believe newspapers will be around well into the future because the assets and value they historically have provided to both readers and advertisers are enduring and sustainable.

Sure, you may get your news online, but take a look at how much of that news is generated by reporters at newspapers. Readers still appreciate quality journalism by trained reporters and informed judgments by crotchety editors about news content and sources.

While I think newspapers need to adapt to the financial struggles of the digital age, we shouldn't be too quick to bury print and I'd hate to see it disappear forever. It helps cement everything in its place as far as history is concerned. Can you imagine if the lights went out forever and we had no more access to computers and other technology? What would we do if we were thrown back to the stone age days? We'd loose everything that was electronic and on a computer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

15 months ago

In the dark ages of computers, the "pundits" were promising everybody a paperless office. Last time I was working, we were producing more paper products than ever before. There will forever and always be printed material around. For some applications though, paper just isn't economically viable.

When music began appearing on CDs, it was thought vinyl records would go away forever. In some circles, vinyl is making a vibrant comeback.

Same thing with vacuum tubes. When transistors were invented, many abandoned the vacuum tubes. Now, in some circles, they are highly coveted and making a comeback.

History continues to repeat itself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: In the dark ages of computers, the "pundits" were promising everybody a paperless office. Last time I was working, we were producing more paper products than ever before. There will forever and always be printed material around. For some applications though, paper just isn't economically viable.

When music began appearing on CDs, it was thought vinyl records would go away forever. In some circles, vinyl is making a vibrant comeback.

Same thing with vacuum tubes. When transistors were invented, many abandoned the vacuum tubes. Now, in some circles, they are highly coveted and making a comeback.

History continues to repeat itself.

Oh, I remember back in the 80's when I was teaching that they said the Internet would make all teachers obsolete. You'd have one Algebra teacher being beamed into 30,000,000 homes snce everybody was going to be home schooled by then as well.

Ain't happened yet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: In the dark ages of computers, the "pundits" were promising everybody a paperless office. Last time I was working, we were producing more paper products than ever before. There will forever and always be printed material around. For some applications though, paper just isn't economically viable.

When music began appearing on CDs, it was thought vinyl records would go away forever. In some circles, vinyl is making a vibrant comeback.

Same thing with vacuum tubes. When transistors were invented, many abandoned the vacuum tubes. Now, in some circles, they are highly coveted and making a comeback.

History continues to repeat itself.

When was the last time you went to a record store?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

kmb in Kinston, North Carolina

15 months ago

I love the sheer quantity if jobs you can find online (and that some are telecommute). The downfall is the competition, I guess. Here is an app for Android that will help with your search...

budurl.com/jobsplusapp

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ThatIsNotMyName in Nashville, Tennessee

15 months ago

I'll disagree and say newspapers aren't dead, but the whole lot of the newspaper field is in flux. And they are mostly doing fine in the small and mid-size towns, especially when they don't have any competition where it doesn't make sense to have many competing papers. And some papers that decided to go completely digital have had to actually make a comeback in print, because it just wasn't working out. The print and website combo seems to be working for a lot of them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ThatIsNotMyName in Nashville, Tennessee

15 months ago

Where will people get their very localized news in the smaller communities? The human interest stories from their backyard? The corrupt county commission scandal that erupted last week? Certainly not from the big name papers, and the news channels that mostly cover stories in the big city hubs. Many people still have interest in reading this stuff.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

ThatIsNotMyName in Nashville, Tennessee said: I'll disagree and say newspapers aren't dead, but the whole lot of the newspaper field is in flux. And they are mostly doing fine in the small and mid-size towns, especially when they don't have any competition where it doesn't make sense to have many competing papers. And some papers that decided to go completely digital have had to actually make a comeback in print, because it just wasn't working out. The print and website combo seems to be working for a lot of them.

Do you subscribe to a daily newspaper? Just curious.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ThatIsNotMyName in Nashville, Tennessee

15 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Do you subscribe to a daily newspaper? Just curious.

Yep.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ThatIsNotMyName in Nashville, Tennessee

15 months ago

I also check at least three different national news websites daily too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

ThatIsNotMyName in Nashville, Tennessee said: Yep.

Newspapers are on their last legs. The subscription base is shrinking and its tough to sell advertising space.

What will remain will be the very large papers like the New York Times and the Zephyr Falls Gazette featuring Edna May Lewinski and her blue ribbon pies.

I use to sell Yellow Page advertising. You can't give it away now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

job hunter in Brooklyn, New York

15 months ago

Those days are gone unfortunately.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York

15 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Newspapers are on their last legs. The subscription base is shrinking and its tough to sell advertising space.

What will remain will be the very large papers like the New York Times and the Zephyr Falls Gazette featuring Edna May Lewinski and her blue ribbon pies.

I use to sell Yellow Page advertising. You can't give it away now.

Wall St Journal, NY Times, Washington Post, USA Today that's all Folks!

I stay away from Advertising Sale jobs with Newspapers. Far away.

You know alot of people in the newspap biz haven't gotten a raise in years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York

15 months ago

Personally, I enjoy reading a hard copy newspaper versus the online version.

I don't know about others here but the big local newspaper where I reside never has anything good in it...I think only friday's edition is the best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

Joe Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York said: Personally, I enjoy reading a hard copy newspaper versus the online version.

I don't know about others here but the big local newspaper where I reside never has anything good in it...I think only friday's edition is the best.

What did you have for dinner Fatso? LOL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York

15 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: What did you have for dinner Fatso? LOL!

You know I don't have to take this abuse. I could hang out at the library with my friends instead.

Steak
Brown Rice
Salad
Homemade Cookies

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

Joe Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York said: You know I don't have to take this abuse. I could hang out at the library with my friends instead.

Steak
Brown Rice
Salad
Homemade Cookies

Gee, I'd never leave home if I were you.

Course, I'd also be 400 lbs. so where would I go?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

catfish503 in portland, Oregon

15 months ago

Joe Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York said: You know I don't have to take this abuse. I could hang out at the library with my friends instead.

Steak
Brown Rice
Salad
Homemade Cookies

Did you make the cookies? *)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

catfish503 in portland, Oregon said: Did you make the cookies? *)

I want Joe to get a job and move out. So, I can have his old room. LOL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

catfish503 in portland, Oregon

15 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I want Joe to get a job and move out. So, I can have his old room. LOL!

And I know his mom would enjoy your company! =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

catfish503 in portland, Oregon said: And I know his mom would enjoy your company! =)

We're probably the same age. LOL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

catfish503 in portland, Oregon

15 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: We're probably the same age. LOL!

Haha....

Joe probably has a bunch of us on here that are his "second mom(s)"... =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York

15 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I want Joe to get a job and move out. So, I can have his old room. LOL!

I don't think this will happen. Unfortunately you would then tell mom that her little boy isn't the angel she thinks he is afterall.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.