Looking to get into government work

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (27)

collegegrad in Chester, New York

15 months ago

I'm a 24 year old with a bachelor's degree in International Relations, living in the nyc area. I'm studying for my master's degree and I am interested in going into intelligence another type of national security. I was wondering if anyone had any experience breaking into the field, I have had a few nonprofit internships and all my paid work experience is in retail. I've been looking for more government internships but they all seem to be located in DC and are unpaid or pay little.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

collegegrad in Chester, New York said: I'm a 24 year old with a bachelor's degree in International Relations, living in the nyc area. I'm studying for my master's degree and I am interested in going into intelligence another type of national security. I was wondering if anyone had any experience breaking into the field, I have had a few nonprofit internships and all my paid work experience is in retail. I've been looking for more government internships but they all seem to be located in DC and are unpaid or pay little.

If we had government jobs, we wouldn't be here. Well, most of us wouldn't.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas

15 months ago

I was surprised that out local work force office had a recruiting event with the CIA on site. Most of their events they host are Toyota assembly line and other blue collar type stuff.

You might look online for such events in your area. Not sure if they go through USA jobs or not, but either way they have a gazillion applicants in their data base. A face to face opportunity would be excellent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

15 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: If we had government jobs, we wouldn't be here. Well, most of us wouldn't.

Ain't that the truth?

15 months ago

OP: It took me 10 years to get into the Navy's drug screening labs. I heard nothing but good things about the Great Lakes lab. People liked working there and jobs there were hard to come by because when people got in, they stayed. Once I finally managed to get in, I found out that 3 years prior things went to hell in a handbasket pretty quick thanks to crummy leadership and people who were promoted and shouldn't have been promoted from Specimen Technicians to leads. The administration there let a lot fall on deaf ears and didn't even try [very had] to make things better at the lab. A lot of the people who had been there awhile were, quite literally, beating down the door to get out even if it meant leaving federal employment altogether. So believe me, working for the feds isn't all what it's cracked up to be. There are times it really sucks depending on what entity you work for and what job you're doing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

My mom is a federal employee and so is my friend Dina's guy. My mom works for USMEPCOM as a payroll tech and my friend Dina's guy works for the TSA as a TSO screener.

No one cares about federal employees. They all thought Obama was their friend and going to do good things for them when he got into office. Instead, he freezes their pay. No pay increases whatsoever. Not for anything. So since Obama took office, these government employees have had to endure with frozen pay. They thought that was going to change earlier this year, but it STILL remains in effect and is impacting many federal workers in a not so nice way. It's making it hard to live because the cost of living is going up and they have no way to pay for things. They say federal workers make too much and must make a sacrifice in this economy by taking the pay freeze, but what everyone fails to realize is most federal workers are GS-9s and below and don't make much money as it is.

Dina's guy likes what he does. My mom likes what she does, They've both been federal employees for a long time (Mike for 10+ years and my mom for 25+ years), but as I said, "being federal isn't all what it's cracked up to be. There are times it really sucks depending on what entity you work for and what job you're doing." And, of course, no one really cares about you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

collegegrad in Chester, New York

15 months ago

If the federal outlook is really poor I'll start thinking about other things I can do that are related to my field. I wouldn't be against going into the private sector but I've always wanted a job where I can get into either history, government, or politics and travel a bit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

15 months ago

My older brother is a nurse at a VA hospital in Florida and makes over $80,000 but that's with shift differential and working some weekends.

He is ex Navy corpsman for 6 years. It took 3 months to get hired and the VA process all his paperwork.

BTW, they are building a hugh VA hospital in Orlando, FL so get your applications submitted early.

15 months ago

collegegrad in Chester, New York said: If the federal outlook is really poor.

In addition to having crap like that happen to you and not having anyone care about you, it's hard getting into Civil Service. It can take months, or in most people's case, years. You really need to be persistent when applying and you'll get a lot of status notifications saying you're eligible, but you're not being forwarded on. Usually, it means they have more than enough preferred people, i.e. veterans and military spouses. If they have a ton of those then you may even get an E-Mail telling you they have more than enough veterans who applied. Oh, and a lot of time veterans and spouses get jobs when they don't even qualify or them. They get them simply because they're a veteran or spouse. They'll ALWAYS trump a regular civilian when it comes to getting a job.

Lostmyhope in Virginia

15 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: My mom is a federal employee and so is my friend Dina's guy.
No one cares about federal employees. They all thought Obama was their friend and going to do good things for them when he got into office. Instead, he freezes their pay. No pay increases whatsoever. Not for anything. So since Obama took office, these government employees have had to endure with frozen pay.

this is a bad thing??????? people in goverment jobs not getting raises????? before i got layed off no body at my work got raises.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lostmyhope in Virginia

15 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said:
No one cares about federal employees. They all thought Obama was their friend and going to do good things for them when he got into office. Instead, he freezes their pay. No pay increases whatsoever.

i bet you wouldnt be happy if obama gave raises to federal employees if your mom didnt work as one. think about it. most people dont get raises these days where ever they work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: In addition to having crap like that happen to you and not having anyone care about you, it's hard getting into Civil Service. It can take months, or in most people's case, years. You really need to be persistent when applying and you'll get a lot of status notifications saying you're eligible, but you're not being forwarded on. Usually, it means they have more than enough preferred people, i.e. veterans and military spouses. If they have a ton of those then you may even get an E-Mail telling you they have more than enough veterans who applied. Oh, and a lot of time veterans and spouses get jobs when they don't even qualify or them. They get them simply because they're a veteran or spouse. They'll ALWAYS trump a regular civilian when it comes to getting a job.

Back before the Internet and when I worked downtown Los Angeles, I knew when the county had a job opening for a file clerk. The line went out the door, down the street and around the block.

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

collegegrad in Chester, New York said: If the federal outlook is really poor I'll start thinking about other things I can do that are related to my field. I wouldn't be against going into the private sector but I've always wanted a job where I can get into either history, government, or politics and travel a bit.

The outlook isn't poor but with the recession, its highly competitive.

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: They say federal workers make too much and must make a sacrifice in this economy by taking the pay freeze, but what everyone fails to realize is most federal workers are GS-9s and below and don't make much money as it is.

In addition to a pension, Federal workers get great benefits and the jobs are more secure since they aren't dependent on last quarter's earnings.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

Lostmyhope in Virginia said: this is a bad thing??????? people in goverment jobs not getting raises?????

First off, my mom is a HARD federal worker. She gave a lot to the feds for nearly 30 years and she's looking to work another 10-15 years. In the very least, they should be getting an annual COL (cost of living) and they're not even getting that. As I said, everything is getting more expensive (gas, food etc...) and they have NO WAY to pay for it because all raises, including COL are froze. Our quality of life is hurting because those jokers in Washington keep giving themselves pay raises, raises they DON'T deserve.

My mom gives nearly 30 years of service and this is what she gets in return? She's a meager federal employee, a GS-7 who makes less than $52,000 a year and who's STRUGGLING to get by in life while the jokers in Washington are living a cozy life on a $174,000 annual salary. That's more than DOUBLE what my mom makes. Why can't the politicians, the people in Washington, in Congress, take any pay cuts? Can't they be voting NOT to be giving themselves pay raises every year? Why hurt the little people?

Everyone thinks federal workers make BIG bucks. Some do. If you're higher than a GS-9, you most certainly do. But GS-10s and above make up a very small percentage of the federal workforce. Most are GS-9s and below making a modest pay.

15 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Back before the Internet and when I worked downtown Los Angeles, I knew when the county had a job opening for a file clerk. The line went out the door, down the street and around the block.

Government is good to get into and I think if someone wants government employment city and county are always good to look at. IMHO, county is probably the best way to go and trumps city, state, and federal. Counties tend to treat their people really good.

15 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: The outlook isn't poor but with the recession, its highly competitive.

Yes. It is and right now there's more veterans applying for federal jobs than there ever has been so the chances of a vet getting hired over you are pretty good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: In addition to a pension, Federal workers get great benefits and the jobs are more secure since they aren't dependent on last quarter's earnings.

I certainly won't deny that. They do get good benefits and between FERS and TSP they draw good money for retirement unless they choose to take FERS only and forgo any TSP like my mom's former Personal Property co-worker. She's finding it pretty difficult trying to live off FERS retirement. You don't draw much by way of that. You make out good though through TSP, as that's matching.

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: I certainly won't deny that. They do get good benefits and between FERS and TSP they draw good money for retirement unless they choose to take FERS only and forgo any TSP like my mom's former Personal Property co-worker. She's finding it pretty difficult trying to live off FERS retirement. You don't draw much by way of that. You make out good though through TSP, as that's matching.

The problem now is that the public sector is totally dependent on the private sector for funding or tax revenue. Those tax revenues just aren't there anymore and Obama can only print money for so long until it becomes worthless paper.

He is under pressure to reduce the size of gub'mint.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: He is under pressure to reduce the size of gub'mint.

I understand that and one of the best things they can do is get rid of contractors and return jobs to federal employees. They'll pay them, and servicemembers even, less to do the work. It's my understanding, from what my mom has told me given her prior job, they've been looking at contracts to get rid of. Forest City, who now oversees military housing, made out BIG time with that contract. I can see privatizing (contracting out) certain things: someone to build your missiles, someone to supply your guns, someone to build your tanks and ships, etc..., but like they really needed to privatize housing? Come on! Gov't workers can do it and do it for a lot less. And now they're contracting out housing EMS too. All of Great Lakes Naval Base housing calls are being routed to our 9-1-1 and our police are now responsible for housing (patrolling, answering domestic disputes, pulling over motorists and issuing tickets, etc...). We have a small police force (less than 60 full-time sworn officers). We're already stretched thin and we're stretched even more thin since they took over from the GLPB in October of 2011. Our officers hate going onto housing and dealing with military people too. Like they really needed to contract police? Thankfully, they haven't contracted fire. Maybe that's only a matter of time. Who know. What I do know is many of the contracts and privatizing they do is expensive and completely UNNCESSARY yet it's done anyway at the tax payer's expense. I don't know about the rest of you, but it infuriates me to no end. It's a complete waste of tax payer money. Why don't they get serious about the wasteful spending and cut that crap? That'd save us a lot of money right there!

15 months ago

It's just like when the VA and FHCC showed up at job fairs recently. A wasteful use of tax payer dollars.

The federal government is good at wasting our money yet when they need to reduce and cut spending, they do totally stupid things like freeze the federal workers pay for years on end and whatnot instead of ceasing silly contracts they really don't need to have in the first place.

Stupid politicians.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

...and yet we keep voting the vast majority back in.

Lostmyhope in Virginia

15 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: First off, my mom is a HARD federal worker. She gave a lot to the feds for nearly 30 years and she's looking to work another 10-15 years. In the very least, they should be getting an annual COL (cost of living) and they're not even getting that.

we all should be getting raises. that is my point. your mom is not any better than the rest of the workers not getting raises. a lot of us dont even have jobs now.

Lostmyhope in Virginia

15 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: Yes. It is and right now there's more veterans applying for federal jobs than there ever has been so the chances of a vet getting hired over you are pretty good.

why do you pick on vets??????? any idea what they are payed to put their lives on the line???? they deserve anything they can get.

Lostmyhope in Virginia

15 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: The problem now is that the public sector is totally dependent on the private sector for funding or tax revenue. Those tax revenues just aren't there anymore and Obama can only print money for so long until it becomes worthless paper.

He is under pressure to reduce the size of gub'mint.

yes he is. if he gives out raises to the fed workers out there he wont here the end of that. he cant win.

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

15 months ago

Elizabeth,

Hopefully your mom invested money on top of her pension.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

Lostmyhope in Virginia said: why do you pick on vets??????? any idea what they are payed to put their lives on the line???? they deserve anything they can get.

I come from a military family, Navy to be exact, and have nothing but the utmost respect for veterans.

While I agree they deserve everything they can get, what about everyone else? Instead of hiring mainly or mostly veterans, you'd think the feds could realize the rest of us need to work too and thus spread the wealth just a bit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.