Need a bit of career advice and help with decision making.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Gari in London, United Kingdom

14 months ago

I have around 12 years of IT experience and have been working for very large multinational for the last 9 years. I Joined there as middle level engineer and gained skills/Experience and moved up the roles over the course of my time. However over the last couple of years re-org within the company means that they moved from technology based teams to process based teams which means that the work I used to/enjoyed to do is split over number of teams and I found myself doing more and more documentation or process based work. I now feel like that my growth has stopped as I am not learning any new technical skills or doing much hands on.

I fear that this degradation of my technical skills will mean that in few years’ time I will not be employable outside my current company (on the salary that I currently get) in case they decide to re-org further /cut jobs etc..!

I now have Job offer from a small Local company where I will be working as a consultant doing everything in the same role – Basically from Design to Implementation to test to support as there is only 1 engineering team which does all.

However the salary they are offering is just on par with my current salary and in terms of other benefits (Pension, Holidays, and Medical etc.) I will be losing out.

Now I am not sure if I should move out or not as apart from losing benefits I will be losing the continuity of my service. But I have a chance of gaining back my technical skills in new job.
What would you do if you were in my place?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

KA2 in Sydney

14 months ago

I believe it all depends on your personal circumstances.

I also think it is very hard to guess which would be better long term, as you have a very large multinational company versus a small company.

I would list every positive & every positive for both & see what you think then.

If you decide to go with the samll company, I would definitely try to negotiate a higher pay.

Another option to ensure you continue to gain technical experience, while staying with the large multinational could be to see if the small company would take you on as a part time consultant ( several hours a week), while you remain full time at the large multinational.... assuming you are happy to do that & if there is no conflict of interest for either companies & I would recommend you let the large company know that you are doing this part time (if you decide to take this route).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

KA2 in Sydney said:
Another option to ensure you continue to gain technical experience, while staying with the large multinational could be to see if the small company would take you on as a part time consultant ( several hours a week), while you remain full time at the large multinational.... assuming you are happy to do that & if there is no conflict of interest for either companies & I would recommend you let the large company know that you are doing this part time (if you decide to take this route).

Thanks for your reply KA2 , I don't think above option will be workable as there will be conflict of interest..!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

KA2 in Sydney

14 months ago

Then I would list every positive & every negative for both (including the possibilities of growth & promotion within the large multinational.

It will probably still be hard, due to so many unknowns that may happen or may not happen in the future .... but see what you think then.

If you do decide to go with the small company, I would definitely try to negotiate a higher pay.... as pay & benefits are important & they do add up.

Almost Suicidal in Houston, Texas

14 months ago

I would make the move and try to negotiate more money. If you current company makes you obsolete you will be in trouble. But, what do I know, I'm unemployed.

Calfornian in Hayward, California

14 months ago

Very, very hard to answer.

But, I'm certain of only one thing thing, technically two, OK, maybe three, in this business. Everyone will tell you they hire based on experience, business knowledge, blah, blah, and maybe they all think that, and maybe they even do, but to get to that person, your skills better bingo the Taleo machine.

Also, you've been at it for 12 years. That puts you mid 30's. Like it or not, that's the wrong side of the bell curve in this business so maybe transitioning out of pure tech isn't a bad thing?

Last thought, whenever companies start making changes like that, it's kind of a yellow alert to me. The whole thing sounds like endless meetings, documenting stuff that no one ever reads, and really not getting much done. That would be, one huge advantage, most likely, of the smaller company.

14 months ago

Calfornian in Hayward, California said: Very, very hard to answer.

But, I'm certain of only one thing thing, technically two, OK, maybe three, in this business. Everyone will tell you they hire based on experience, business knowledge, blah, blah, and maybe they all think that, and maybe they even do, but to get to that person, your skills better bingo the Taleo machine.

Also, you've been at it for 12 years. That puts you mid 30's. Like it or not, that's the wrong side of the bell curve in this business so maybe transitioning out of pure tech isn't a bad thing?

Last thought, whenever companies start making changes like that, it's kind of a yellow alert to me. The whole thing sounds like endless meetings, documenting stuff that no one ever reads, and really not getting much done. That would be, one huge advantage, most likely, of the smaller company.

Yes, you are right I am mid 30’s. And yes endless documenting and meetings and nothing much gets done.. In fact sometimes contractors get hired to do the Real Stuff whereas we end up doing audits/documents/post-mortems, defining best practices or processes..!

What I am not able to decide is which skills have more value – What I am doing now or real Technical skills. ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KA2 in Sydney

14 months ago

Gari in London, United Kingdom said: Yes, you are right I am mid 30’s. And yes endless documenting and meetings and nothing much gets done.. In fact sometimes contractors get hired to do the Real Stuff whereas we end up doing audits/documents/post-mortems, defining best practices or processes..!

What I am not able to decide is which skills have more value – What I am doing now or real Technical skills. ?

In my view:

If you want to get into management, what you are doing is probably more valuable, assuming you are good at it & assuming they like what you are doing. That's how companies usually promote within. But in tough times or when companies are not doing well & downsizing, real technical skills may be more valuable.

Again a tough one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.