When to follow up with a company after an interview.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (23)

Exult in East Meadow, New York

16 months ago

So I had an interview last thursday that went very well. It was about 3 hours with several people I'd be working with. Nothing is guaranteed and the position is highly competitive, so I won't comment on my chances. I was told that I would hear back from them sometime "midweek" - i.e. this Wednesday. It is now Friday night and I have yet to hear a peep.

How long should I wait to send an email requesting an updated timeline of when I should expect a response? Next Wednesday? Tonight? Insight & advice much appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in Cypress, Texas

16 months ago

You know, I'm starting to think that often times, the person who is being made an offer does get contacted by the date. In other words, if you don't hear from us by Wednesday, the rejection letter is in the mail.

Could be though, they're still deciding. And if at the last minute the bosses new son in law decided to apply, then they are still interviewing. Haha.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in Cypress, Texas

16 months ago

But I would be delighted to be totally wrong in this case=)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

16 months ago

Exult in East Meadow, New York said: So I had an interview last thursday that went very well. It was about 3 hours with several people I'd be working with. Nothing is guaranteed and the position is highly competitive, so I won't comment on my chances. I was told that I would hear back from them sometime "midweek" - i.e. this Wednesday. It is now Friday night and I have yet to hear a peep.

How long should I wait to send an email requesting an updated timeline of when I should expect a response? Next Wednesday? Tonight? Insight & advice much appreciated.

You mean you haven't heard from them when they said they would call? That's odd? LOL!

Joe? Suicidal? Unemployed? Job Seeker? Bueller? Anyone can to enlighten us here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York

16 months ago

Number 1 question asked.

Stop in on Monday. Tell them you happened to be across the street.

BTW, what's across the street...strip club, adult book store, Suds & Duds Laundry, WorkForce 1

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in Cypress, Texas

16 months ago

I think you should disregard Joe's advice and find five more jobs to apply for. And I'm sorry you didn't get the job;(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

16 months ago

Joe Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York said: Number 1 question asked.

Stop in on Monday. Tell them you happened to be across the street.

BTW, what's across the street...strip club, adult book store, Suds & Duds Laundry, WorkForce 1

Yup! I agree. No email. Too easily ignored.

On Monday, stop by in person, bring donuts and find out the status. Go the extra mile and show your continued enthusiasm for the job. Remind them, that they said they would call but they probably got too busy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York

16 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Cypress, Texas said: I think you should disregard Joe's advice and find five more jobs to apply for. And I'm sorry you didn't get the job;(

You Homo!

(I just felt like saying that. I don't know why.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in Cypress, Texas

16 months ago

Joe Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York said: You Homo!

(I just felt like saying that. I don't know why.)

Sadly, Exult, this is the new normal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

sighing in southern, New Jersey

16 months ago

They lie. They all lie. LIE LIE LIE. Sorry, I have had it. I don't understand how we have gotten to a place where interviewing for jobs is like a game show.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

still retired in Texas

16 months ago

Joe Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York said: Number 1 question asked.

Stop in on Monday. Tell them you happened to be across the street.

BTW, what's across the street...strip club, adult book store, Suds & Duds Laundry, WorkForce 1

sidewalk is safe to say too

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Travis in Medina, Ohio

16 months ago

You should definitely follow up. Most companies are looking for someone to be assertive and will show some initiative. Simply pick up the phone and get the HR person/Manager on the phone and say, "Hello...this is John and interviewed for the XYZ Job on Monday. I wanted to follow up to see if there was a decision made because I am very interested in the position, but I have a few offers that I need to follow up on by early next week. I appreciate your understanding."

Good Luck and all the best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York

16 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Cypress, Texas said: Sadly, Exult, this is the new normal.

You want me to be serious. Here goes!

Interviewers say this all the time...By friday you should be hearing from us. And 9 times out of 10 you never do. It doesn't necessarily mean that you didn't get the job. It is what it is.

These people don't want the 10 people that they interviewed calling them up and asking about the status. Why? Because they are busy with their work.

However, if you have the gift of gab. If you can BS with the best of them, if you have the ability to convert lesbians into men loving goddesses then by all means call on Tuesday. Mondays are hectic days for workers...catching up on work, etc.

Make sure the conversation is short, to the point, and be polite. Before you call think about what you will say and practice.

If you prefer the email route then send that early Monday.

Sometimes it’s best to just write your thank you note after the interview and leave it at that.

Good Luck, I wish you the best!

Alright Suicidal? See honey, I'm burnt out, I don't have it in me any longer to read these looong post and rack my brains out to produce an intelligent comment. Your right, this is the new normal...for ME.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lostmyhope in Virginia

16 months ago

Joe Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York said: You want me to be serious. Here goes!

Interviewers say this all the time...By friday you should be hearing from us. And 9 times out of 10 you never do. It doesn't necessarily mean that you didn't get the job. It is what it is.

These people don't want the 10 people that they interviewed calling them up and asking about the status. Why? Because they are busy with their work.

However, if you have the gift of gab. If you can BS with the best of them, if you have the ability to convert lesbians into men loving goddesses then by all means call on Tuesday. Mondays are hectic days for workers...catching up on work, etc.

Make sure the conversation is short, to the point, and be polite. Before you call think about what you will say and practice.

If you prefer the email route then send that early Monday.

Sometimes it’s best to just write your thank you note after the interview and leave it at that.

Good Luck, I wish you the best!

Alright Suicidal? See honey, I'm burnt out, I don't have it in me any longer to read these looong post and rack my brains out to produce an intelligent comment. Your right, this is the new normal...for ME.

i get you bro. its what i have been sayin all along. im good and tired to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lostmyhope in Virginia

16 months ago

Travis in Medina, Ohio said: You should definitely follow up. Most companies are looking for someone to be assertive and will show some initiative. Simply pick up the phone and get the HR person/Manager on the phone and say, "Hello...this is John and interviewed for the XYZ Job on Monday. I wanted to follow up to see if there was a decision made because I am very interested in the position, but I have a few offers that I need to follow up on by early next week. I appreciate your understanding."

Good Luck and all the best.

cut me a break dude. you lose your chances by buggin them!!!! let me guess. you have a job. right???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lostmyhope in Virginia

16 months ago

joe i think i found a husband for you know whooooooo!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jobseeker in Concord, California

16 months ago

Lostmyhope in Virginia said: joe i think i found a husband for you know whooooooo!!!!!!

Now that you've "found one" for them, search for one for me. I've been "in search of" for years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia

16 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Yup! I agree. No email. Too easily ignored.

On Monday, stop by in person, bring donuts and find out the status. Go the extra mile and show your continued enthusiasm for the job. Remind them, that they said they would call but they probably got too busy.

Yeah because there's no way they'd be creeped out by that AT ALL. LoL

Stalker alert! "But you said you'd call me."... I'm not saying I ain't guilty... I'm just sayin :P

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

nova eeewww in Virginia Beach, Virginia

16 months ago

sighing in southern, New Jersey said: They lie. They all lie. LIE LIE LIE. Sorry, I have had it. I don't understand how we have gotten to a place where interviewing for jobs is like a game show.

At least on a gameshow you get a "lovely parting gift" when they boot ya. When you leave the interview they don't give you a lifetime supply of laundry detergent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

nova eeewww in Virginia Beach, Virginia

16 months ago

i'm bugging people about jobs that I applied to more than three months ago. I know I didn't get the job, since it's been so long, but I like pissing these people off by flooding their inbox. It gives me a certain satisfaction. I'm gonna just mass email these effers. I want them to want to slit their throats every time they see my email addy in their inbox! You should've hired me, a-holes.
Then you wouldn't see a single email from me ever again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

16 months ago

nova eeewww in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: i'm bugging people about jobs that I applied to more than three months ago. I know I didn't get the job, since it's been so long, but I like pissing these people off by flooding their inbox. It gives me a certain satisfaction. I'm gonna just mass email these effers. I want them to want to slit their throats every time they see my email addy in their inbox! You should've hired me, a-holes.
Then you wouldn't see a single email from me ever again.

Love your spirit Nova. It won't change a darn thing, but I like your idea.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

16 months ago

nova eeewww in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: At least on a gameshow you get a "lovely parting gift" when they boot ya. When you leave the interview they don't give you a lifetime supply of laundry detergent.

"Interviews are a lot like dating. The only difference is, that at the end of the interview, that is a slim chance you might be naked!" - Seinfeld

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

16 months ago

Nova,

Maybe talk to an Air Force recruiter about enlisting as a prior service and go into a field such as an air traffic controller ?

My son joined and chose a field he will be able to use as a civilian.

Maybe consider rejoining the military and finish your career (pension).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.