Neurology Office Wants To Hire Me

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

18 months ago

Well, I went in at 10 AM this morning just liked the practice manager of the neurology office asked me to and stayed until 4 PM. A few hours into it she called me into the office to ask me how I liked the job and the office so far. I told her there was a comfort level there for me because it reminded me of being in Dr. Barr's office to an extent in terms of the environment and how they go about doing things. She said that was a good thing and then added that it seemed to be going good so far. That I was meshing with their office quite nicely.

Later in the day she called me into her office and asked me where I stood in regards to the other office I was going to on Monday. I told her that I had a feeling they'd most likely be offering me the job based on everything I heard on the phone Wednesday morning. She then told me that if that was the case they'd have a "battle on their hands" because they already made the decision they wanted to hire me permanently and that I'd have to decide where I wanted to work following Monday's discussion and what not at the dermatology office.

While I'd really like to work close to home, I'm starting to think it may be to my benefit to accept the job offer with the neurology office. Either way it's a win-win situation because I'd be taking jobs in which each office will be switching to EHR (electronic health records) in the upcoming weeks and months.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

18 months ago

That said, I'm definitely going to give the dermatology office a fair shake on Monday since they were the first office to call me back expressing interest in hiring me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

18 months ago

By the way, they cut me a check for $66 at the neurology office minus taxes and other withholdings so my take home pay was $60.95. (I really didn't expect to come home with a paycheck.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

18 months ago

So you did get a job ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York

18 months ago

Good for you Elizabeth. You come across as a very nice person. Congrats again!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

18 months ago

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas said: So you did get a job ?

Yes. The job is mine IF I want it. However, I have neither accepted or declined the offer because I'd like to go into the dermatology office tomorrow and hear them out and see what that job is like BEFORE I make a final decision. Right now, I don't even know how much the dermatology office would be willing to pay me to do that job. All I know is that I can potentially get more hours out of that job, 25-30 a week as opposed to 20-25 hours a week at the neurology office.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

18 months ago

Other than being closer to me, I like the fact the dermatology office is currently switching over to EHR so I'd be coming in right at the time everyone else was learning.

The one thing that basically turns me off from the dermatology office is that fact they'd want to cross train me and I may not be at the front desk all of the time. I have to deal with non-front desk duties when I worked for ProCare Dental and Dr. Barr. I've been trying to get away with that. My goal is to have a job where I can really focus on the front desk duties as much as possible. It's hard having to focus on other things and a lot of patients don't like it when front desk people are tied up with non-front desk duties because it generally means they have to wait and they tend to come off as not as attentive as they could be if they were just focused on front desk. It also increases mistakes made, especially when it comes to patients and their accounts. I've done my fair share of having to deal with non-front desk duties. It'd be nice to have JUST a front desk job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

17 months ago

How great that you actually get to make a decision instead of having it made for you!!!

Congrats!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

17 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: Other than being closer to me, I like the fact the dermatology office is currently switching over to EHR so I'd be coming in right at the time everyone else was learning.

The one thing that basically turns me off from the dermatology office is that fact they'd want to cross train me and I may not be at the front desk all of the time. I have to deal with non-front desk duties when I worked for ProCare Dental and Dr. Barr. I've been trying to get away with that. My goal is to have a job where I can really focus on the front desk duties as much as possible. It's hard having to focus on other things and a lot of patients don't like it when front desk people are tied up with non-front desk duties because it generally means they have to wait and they tend to come off as not as attentive as they could be if they were just focused on front desk. It also increases mistakes made, especially when it comes to patients and their accounts. I've done my fair share of having to deal with non-front desk duties. It'd be nice to have JUST a front desk job.

Careful. EHR is going to replace a lot of front desk jobs. My last employer was working on EHR among other things. Its going to replace a lot of jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

17 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Careful. EHR is going to replace a lot of front desk jobs. My last employer was working on EHR among other things. Its going to replace a lot of jobs.

I don't think so. If anything, it hurts transcriptionists.

That said, you're ALWAYS going to need people to answer phones, transfer calls, schedule appointments, cancel appointments, check in patients, etc... . Receptionists help free up the practitioners so they can do what they do best: see and take care of patients. That's how they make their money. They can't be bothered doing front desk duties and they shouldn't have to do them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

17 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Careful. EHR is going to replace a lot of front desk jobs. My last employer was working on EHR among other things. Its going to replace a lot of jobs.

I agree with you Blue. My own doctor, who is a great old guy that loves to chat about everything including my unemployment (uugh), was just telling me about the EHR system. He told me that a lot of health care facilities were going down this road and there would actually be large layoffs with administrative people in the field. I can believe it. It wouldn't be the first time an industry had massive layoffs due to digital technology.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

17 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: I agree with you Blue. My own doctor, who is a great old guy that loves to chat about everything including my unemployment (uugh), was just telling me about the EHR system. He told me that a lot of health care facilities were going down this road and there would actually be large layoffs with administrative people in the field. I can believe it. It wouldn't be the first time an industry had massive layoffs due to digital technology.

Most medical providers must be EHR compliant by 2014. The old manila folders, ICD codes and even corner drug stores are going away.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.