Attitudes while job hunting.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 60)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Jobseeker in Concord, California

19 months ago

It amazes me how often employers state that applicants have "attitude issues" while job hunting. They do not CARE what they're putting us through, so when we (supposedly) "get an attitude", they look down upon us. Well hey!, how ARE we going to react, when we get so many WALLS tossed in our direction?! Human nature being what it is, a person can only take just so much, before we get emotionally bent out of shape. And yet when we do (supposedly) "over react", it's OUR FAULT?? That's beyond ridiculous! Pfft, anything to "pass the buck" and keep it from being "their fault". Irksome! :-(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas

19 months ago

I find that as the rejections have added up, and mostly they don't bother to tell you that you have been rejected, but they repost the position I am going to interviews with much less enthusiasm.

It's certainly not that I don't give a s*&t, but I certainly don't expect a job offer to come of it.

Anyway, that attitude served me well in a phone interview last week. They called back an hour later to schedule a face to face for next week.

It's a 10 hour a week job...But it is in my field and something would be better....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Missy in San Antonio, Texas

19 months ago

I have to pull out the old dog and pony show when I go to an interview. I try not to let my attitude show too much. <8)

I am totally exasperated by the end of the interview session. The last formal interview I was on I felt like they were just patronizing me to appease the EEOC. I realized I was going nowhere in the interview process and excused myself. It was a humiliating experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

YourCalIisBeingRedirected in SomewhereOverTheRainbow, Kentucky

19 months ago

Missy in San Antonio, Texas said: I have to pull out the old dog and pony show when I go to an interview. I try not to let my attitude show too much. <8)

I am totally exasperated by the end of the interview session. The last formal interview I was on I felt like they were just patronizing me to appease the EEOC. I realized I was going nowhere in the interview process and excused myself. It was a humiliating experience.

I'm betting MOST of us on here (well I can) relate. I am exhausted and I have pulled every trick out of the book. I just don't know. Guess I should go to the library and see if there's a new book. I don't know what's worst. Walking in and IMMEDIATELY knowing you wasted your time and gas, or feeling like you knocked the interview out of the ballpark, only to find you were not chosen.

Blue, Joe, John, Grant, California, etc., have given me ALOT of good advice and good laughs, when I either wanted to cry, or felt what was left of my sanity diminishing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

19 months ago

Hey, at least you have some sanity left!

Many times at stores, when checking out, the cashier asks if I found everything I needed all right. I typically respond "everything but my sanity". That has, from time to time led to some humorous responses....

Bluetea in Texas

19 months ago

YourCalIisBeingRedirected in SomewhereOverTheRainbow, Kentucky said: I'm betting MOST of us on here (well I can) relate. I am exhausted and I have pulled every trick out of the book. I just don't know. Guess I should go to the library and see if there's a new book. I don't know what's worst. Walking in and IMMEDIATELY knowing you wasted your time and gas, or feeling like you knocked the interview out of the ballpark, only to find you were not chosen.

Blue, Joe, John, Grant, California, etc., have given me ALOT of good advice and good laughs, when I either wanted to cry, or felt what was left of my sanity diminishing.

Hey Dorothy, (I love the Wizard of Oz), go to the library and begin reading your way through the books on personal networking. When they say that networking is the best way to get your next job, they are right. I am living proof of that.

However, it takes time and not every technique will be your cup of tea.

- Toto

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

19 months ago

Missy in San Antonio, Texas said: I have to pull out the old dog and pony show when I go to an interview. I try not to let my attitude show too much. <8)

The only two darn interviews I have landed in the last 8 months have felt like nothing more than a pat on the back; never a serious inquiry. That hurts. Don't waste my time. My time is still worthwhile. It wasn't that long ago I was a great catch; a faithful employee, a hard working employee, one you could ask almost anything of and I would master the skill and get results. I don't need to help any employer satisfy some applicant quota or give them bogus "salary requirements" so they can figure how much we will grovel for a job.

Last but not least, there is nothing wrong with my attitude. I am a smart, well adjusted human being that is plain tired of the games out there. I would go back into business for myself if I had an innovative idea and the money. I hate being unemployed more than anyone could know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

19 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: I don't need to help any employer satisfy some applicant quota or give them bogus "salary requirements" so they can figure how much we will grovel for a job.

How do you feel about this question?

How did you hear about us?

1. Indeed.
2. CareerBuilder.
3. Monster.
4. Snagajob.
5. Hotjobs
6. Job Fair.
7. Career Link.
8. Friend.

Don't you want to be part of their marketing efforts?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: How do you feel about this question?

1. Indeed.
2. CareerBuilder.
3. Monster.
4. Snagajob.
5. Hotjobs
6. Job Fair.
7. Career Link.
8. Friend.

Bite me Blue...hahahaha. Just kidding ;)

I hate 'em all. I see right through the BS now and it makes me crazy.

Hmm...maybe I need a course in how to write a resume or maybe I need to buy tickets to a job fair.

*(insert eye roll and sarcastic tone here)*

Do you think that would help?

Bluetea in Texas

19 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: Hmm...maybe I need a course in how to write a resume or maybe I need to buy tickets to a job fair.

Do you think that would help?

Na! At some point, you stop all the navel gazing and just realize that you are a loser and everything in the known universe is conspiring against you.

Like Joe and I. LOL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Na! At some point, you stop all the navel gazing and just realize that you are a loser and everything in the known universe is conspiring against you.

Like Joe and I. LOL!

I knew it! I knew it! Now I can sit around and ENJOY being a "loser". Everyone knows that the unemployed sit back collecting benefits while working on their tan. Excuse me while I sip some champagne. I'm on vacation here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

19 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: I knew it! I knew it! Now I can sit around and ENJOY being a "loser". Everyone knows that the unemployed sit back collecting benefits while working on their tan. Excuse me while I sip some champagne. I'm on vacation here.

Yup! Joe and me are sitting here on the couch fat, dumb and happy. Here, have a Twinkie. We have a reputation to live up to.

Bluetea in Texas

19 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: Hey, at least you have some sanity left!

Many times at stores, when checking out, the cashier asks if I found everything I needed all right. I typically respond "everything but my sanity". That has, from time to time led to some humorous responses....

I like it when the cashiers ask me to contribute to some cause.

I say, "I remember when solicitors were outside the stores stumpin' for change".

Grant013 in Astoria, New York

19 months ago

I usually say, sorry, I can't donate. I'm the one in need of a donation. -!!- What....!?!

19 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: How do you feel about this question?

1. Indeed.
2. CareerBuilder.
3. Monster.
4. Snagajob.
5. Hotjobs
6. Job Fair.
7. Career Link.
8. Friend.

Um.....NO!! I DON'T want to be a part of their marketing efforts..How about..I found them via smoke signals..or messenger pigeon. I put "other".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

19 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Na! At some point, you stop all the navel gazing and just realize that you are a loser and everything in the known universe is conspiring against you.

Like Joe and I. LOL!

Hey, at least I'm not in the "loser" crowd (or is that the IN crowd now)

19 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: I knew it! I knew it! Now I can sit around and ENJOY being a "loser". Everyone knows that the unemployed sit back collecting benefits while working on their tan. Excuse me while I sip some champagne. I'm on vacation here.

I just ate my lunch rations. Now back to (looking for) work. I haven't had a vacation in 5 years. Can't afford champagne on this budget. Something has got to give.

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

19 months ago

Missy,

Just spend quality time with your husband and kids, no need for a vacation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

19 months ago

Grant013 in Astoria, New York said: Um.....NO!! I DON'T want to be a part of their marketing efforts..How about..I found them via smoke signals..or messenger pigeon. I put "other".

LOL! You can just pull your hair out sometimes huh?

19 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Hey Dorothy, (I love the Wizard of Oz), go to the library and begin reading your way through the books on personal networking. When they say that networking is the best way to get your next job, they are right. I am living proof of that.

However, it takes time and not every technique will be your cup of tea.

- Toto

OMG!!! My ALL TIME fav!! Back when I used to have a job, income and life, I collected EVERYTHING Oz! Ironic, I now find myself living it! ;)

Seriously though, I wish I knew you in person. You are such a intelligent, delightful, insightful person, I think you would make an EXCELLENT career counselor.

I've decided it IS me blowing these interviews. I either yap too much, or get too cocky thinking I got the job.

Thank you for ALL your post(s)! You're awesomeness!!!!!!!!!!

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

19 months ago

Like Joe and I. LOL!

Sad and depressingly true. After awhile you have to tell yourself your not going to find that good job and it's time to move on. Crappy job here I come. Bad boss here I come. Low pay here I come.

Honestly, looking for a job, a good one that is, is as depressing as being on trial for murder. Same hopeless feeling.

Pizza's getting cold Blue.

19 months ago

Grant013 in Astoria, New York said: Um.....NO!! I DON'T want to be a part of their marketing efforts..How ab out ..I found them via smoke sign als..or messenger pigeon. I put "other".

LOVE that response!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

YourCalIisBeingRedirected in SomewhereOverTheRainbow, Kentucky said:

Seriously though, I wish I knew you in person. You are such a intelligent, delightful, insightful person, I think you would make an EXCELLENT career counselor.

Your kidding me.

I wish I knew where she lived. I would egg her house.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Your kidding me.

Blue Blue's house that is.

19 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Sad and depressingly true. After awhile you have to tell yourself your not going to find that good job and it's time to move on. Crappy job here I come. Bad boss here I come. Low pay here I come.

Honestly, looking for a job, a good one that is, is as depressing as being on trial for murder. Same hopeless feeling.

Pizza's getting cold Blue.

Amen! It just is what is. I will ALWAYS continue to strive to my "former" life, but hey, sometimes it's just not in the hand dealt at the time. Gotta pay bills. As they say, pay and stay. Otherwise......here comes foreclosure and I've lived in this house for 24 freakin years and worked my a^^ off for it. They wanna fight?!? I know the bank wants it. I would too with the equity. Can't take a equity loan without a job, and my once stellar credit is long gone, so goodbye to that. And NO BETH, I have NO LIVING FAMILY. NO TRUST FUND. Just me, and the furbabies I take care of. As a matter of fact, it was a M....no, no, no. I'm not giving you that info. Just PLEASE QUIT PRESUMING PEOPLE HAVE SPOUSES OR FAMILY MEMBERS TO HELP THEM!!!! It's FREAKIN IRRITATING. Do you NOT read the plight of Utah Hitchhiker?!?!?!?!?!?! I mean no disrespect, but would you happen to be in your EARLY 20's?!?!?!

19 months ago

What Joe?!?!?!?!?!?!??!??!

19 months ago

YourCalIisBeingRedirected in SomewhereOverTheRainbow, Kentucky said: What Joe?!?!?!?!?!?!??!??!

Your lucky to have the $$ to waste on eggs! Share the wealth! As a matter of fact, my house needs the siding replaced, so I will PM you my address so I can turn it in to homeowners!!!! :)

19 months ago

when someone calls my cell phone and leaves a message in barely understandable English because I answered a job ad, we in BIG A** trouble people. You see what America is coming to? I, a US citizen, get calls from some mum** bugamugah F*** whom I can't even understand? NOW YOU KNOW I AIN'T INTERESTED IN WHATEVER JOB HE'S OFFERING.

19 months ago

I'm 40.

sorry... but I was responding to Missy, not you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

19 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Blue Blue's house that is.

I'd unravel every riddle
For every individdle
In trouble or in pain

And my head, I'd be scratchin'
While my thoughts they be hatchin'
If Joe only had a brain.

Bluetea in Texas

19 months ago

YourCalIisBeingRedirected in SomewhereOverTheRainbow, Kentucky said: Amen! It just is what is. I will ALWAYS continue to strive to my "former" life, but hey, sometimes it's just not in the hand dealt at the time. Gotta pay bills. As they say, pay and stay. Otherwise......here comes foreclosure and I've lived in this house for 24 freakin years and worked my a^^ off for it. They wanna fight?!? I know the bank wants it. I would too with the equity. Can't take a equity loan without a job, and my once stellar credit is long gone, so goodbye to that. And NO BETH, I have NO LIVING FAMILY. NO TRUST FUND. Just me, and the furbabies I take care of. As a matter of fact, it was a M....no, no, no. I'm not giving you that info. Just PLEASE QUIT PRESUMING PEOPLE HAVE SPOUSES OR FAMILY MEMBERS TO HELP THEM!!!! It's FREAKIN IRRITATING. Do you NOT read the plight of Utah Hitchhiker?!?!?!?!?!?! I mean no disrespect, but would you happen to be in your EARLY 20's?!?!?!

Don't be too harsh with Beth. She is our resident Pollyanna but she prays for everybody so that's in her favor.

19 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Don't be too harsh with Beth. She is our resident Pollyanna but she prays for everybody so that's in her favor.

K. My sincerest apologies Beth. It just hurts because I have NO LIVING family member, and I LET me ex take me for an unbelievable financial ride. I SINCERELY apologize and appreciate any prayers and positive thoughts you can send my way.

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas

19 months ago

The presence of family members doesn't always equate to support, financial or otherwise. Just saying...

19 months ago

"The presence of family members doesn't always equate to support, financial or otherwise. Just saying..."

My family avoids me like the plague. I have never asked them for a dime but it would be nice if some of them would call at least once a month. I have lost most of my employed friends because I am unemployed and cannot go and do things with them. I am glad I have the internet so I can connect with people who understand what I am going through.

Bluetea in Texas

19 months ago

Missy in San Antonio, Texas said: "The presence of family members doesn't always equate to support, financial or otherwise. Just saying..."

My family avoids me like the plague. I have never asked them for a dime but it would be nice if some of them would call at least once a month. I have lost most of my employed friends because I am unemployed and cannot go and do things with them. I am glad I have the internet so I can connect with people who understand what I am going through.

Being unemployed is like having leprosy except without the open sores.

People will either avoid you completely or ask if you have attended a job fair recently.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

Missy in San Antonio, Texas said: "The presence of family members doesn't always equate to support, financial or otherwise. Just saying..."

I'm sorry!! I can TOTALLY relate to what you're saying!!! :\

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

19 months ago

YourCalIisBeingRedirected in SomewhereOverTheRainbow, Kentucky said: Amen! It just is what is. I will ALWAYS continue to strive to my "former" life, but hey, sometimes it's just not in the hand dealt at the time. Gotta pay bills. As they say, pay and stay. Otherwise......here comes foreclosure and I've lived in this house for 24 freakin years and worked my a^^ off for it. They wanna fight?!? I know the bank wants it. I would too with the equity. Can't take a equity loan without a job, and my once stellar credit is long gone, so goodbye to that. And NO BETH, I have NO LIVING FAMILY. NO TRUST FUND. Just me, and the furbabies I take care of. As a matter of fact, it was a M....no, no, no. I'm not giving you that info. Just PLEASE QUIT PRESUMING PEOPLE HAVE SPOUSES OR FAMILY MEMBERS TO HELP THEM!!!! It's FREAKIN IRRITATING. Do you NOT read the plight of Utah Hitchhiker?!?!?!?!?!?! I mean no disrespect, but would you happen to be in your EARLY 20's?!?!?!

Amen!

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

19 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Don't be too harsh with Beth. She is our resident Pollyanna but she prays for everybody so that's in her favor.

Beth can afford (pun kind of intended) to be so out of touch with reality. But that doesn't excuse her from her irritating assumptions.

From Wikipedia: "The United States Census Bureau declared Plano the wealthiest city of 2008 by comparing the median household income for all U.S. cities whose populations were greater than 250,000."

19 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I'd unravel every riddle
For every individdle
In trouble or in pain

And my head, I'd be scratchin'
While my thoughts they be hatchin'
If Joe only had a brain.

Her name is Blue
She's no fool.

She's a ham
but I'm no fan.

Advice is her game
it's soooo lame.

Bake them a cake
for goodness sake!!!

Here's the thing
Joe's the King.

He is Indeed
so don't be peed (Blue).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina said: Beth can afford (pun kind of intended) to be so out of touch with reality. But that doesn't excuse her from her irritating assumptions.

From Wikipedia: "The United States Census Bureau declared Plano the wealthiest city of 2008 by comparing the median household income for all U.S. cities whose populations were greater than 250,000."

Hope all is well.

I think Plano is also one of the safest cities in the US also.

19 months ago

Sorry, I mistook her for another person...

Some areas of Plano are middle class, other areas are ultra rich.
Yes, Plano is very safe compared to the N Dallas area.

Joe,
Any jobs leads in sales ?

catfish503 in portland, Oregon

19 months ago

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas said: The presence of family members doesn't always equate to support, financial or otherwise. Just saying...

I agree. I'm from a large family and half could care less, they're so preoccupied with themselves. When I try to talk about my situation or an interview I had their like yea yea yea, blah, blah, blah...oh, did I tell you about my Mexico vacation... :'||

Dog_Guy in Miami, Florida

19 months ago

Yeah, it's amazing that when you're out of work, you're the dumbest laziest person on earth. I went to the doctor the other day and noticed even he was treating me like a complete moron.

19 months ago

I agree with all the disrespectful attitudes we get. They sure loved us when we had decent jobs, etc. Well, you know what they say about karma?! Everything always tends to go full circle, somehow.

19 months ago

YourCalIisBeingRedirected in SomewhereOverTheRainbow, Kentucky said: I agree with all the disrespectful attitudes we get. They sure loved us when we had decent jobs, etc. Well, you know what they say about karma?! Everything always tends to go full circle, somehow.

I agree with the karma thing...yup...but when one of my family members has an issue they come running to me to be consoled and I'm right there for them...maybe cuz I'm a middle child...aim to please ,-b

19 months ago

catfish503 in portland, Oregon said: I agree with the karma thing...yup...but when one of my family members has an issue they come running to me to be consoled and I'm right there for them...maybe cuz I'm a middle child...aim to please ,-b

Omg!! Me too!!!!

19 months ago

YourCalIisBeingRedirected in SomewhereOverTheRainbow, Kentucky said: Omg!! Me too!!!!

=))

I don't know if you ever read personality traits of middle children, but some of it fits me and some is way off...maybe because I'm # 4 of 6... =b

Luv2FlyItShows in Cody, Wyoming

19 months ago

You're not your. No wonder you're unemployed!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

Luv2FlyItShows in Cody, Wyoming said: You're not your. No wonder you're unemployed!

I have a knack of annoying Flight Attendants. You're not the first. Thank you for pointing this out.

BTW, what is it that you like about your job?

19 months ago

catfish503 in portland, Oregon said: =))

I don't know if you ever read personality traits of middle children, but some of it fits me and some is way off...maybe because I'm # 4 of 6... =b

Briefly what does it mention about the last child born?

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.