Need help becoming financially independent.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (34)

David in Clifton, New Jersey

15 months ago

Due to years of laziness and poor choices, I'm currently facing a bad predicament. I am in dire need of full-time work that will pay the bills, but only have a BA in Psychology, a minor in Writing, and experience as a volunteer/part-time ESL tutor/teaching assistant. Other than that, my work record is sparse. I feel now that I do not have enough of a conviction in the field of psychology to go into debt for grad school. Back when I declared it as a major, it was more for the reason that I didn't know what else to go into and that the classes and possibility of making lots of money for an "easy" job seemed appealing.

So, obviously, the top priority is just finding any full-time gig that will pay enough to hold me over for the time being. However, the issue is that I don't even know where to begin. My first inclination was to pull the old high school strategy of applying to supermarkets, fast food joints, retail stores, etc. However, it's dawned on me that such positions wouldn't pay enough for me to be on my own. On top of that, I've been using some job searching websites recommended by a guidance counselor and can't seem to find any full-time psych jobs that don't require years of prior experience or a Masters/PhD.

Do any of you know of entry-level jobs that are relatively lenient with prior experience and provide sufficient pay?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas

15 months ago

Been there, got that degree. You can work in Health and Human Services (child protective services, food stamp office). Or look at MHMR programs. Case Worker for a non-profit. Those would be the best bets. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Riot in Ware, Massachusetts

15 months ago

Have you considered fields outside of what you might think of as "psych?" If your primary goal is supporting yourself, your degree qualifies you for positions that require "any degree." You might be able to find work as an entry level manager in retail. Perhaps you could play up your minor and find work as a copywriter, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

15 months ago

David how old are you ?

Maybe join the military.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

William Gast in Burtonsville, Maryland

15 months ago

I have a BA in Psych mainly because it's one of the more versatile (if general) degrees out there if you're willing to look in different fields and industries. I've known people that work for insurance companies, HR departments, sales, or a number of different roles. Personally, I'm working part-time in HR, but stretching for a long-term HR career. Not all of these will pay great at entry-level ($30k-$35k starting), but you can work your way up quickly if you're persistent.

Really wouldn't recommend grad school unless you're truly passionate and dead-set on working in the field and you wouldn't go into tremendous amounts of debt.

Also, try looking into recruiting. I've known a number of Psych grads that have started their careers (HR or sales related paths) that way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

William Gast in Burtonsville, Maryland said: I have a BA in Psych mainly because it's one of the more versatile (if general) degrees out there if you're willing to look in different fields and industries. I've known people that work for insurance companies, HR departments, sales, or a number of different roles. Personally, I'm working part-time in HR, but stretching for a long-term HR career. Not all of these will pay great at entry-level ($30k-$35k starting), but you can work your way up quickly if you're persistent.

Really wouldn't recommend grad school unless you're truly passionate and dead-set on working in the field and you wouldn't go into tremendous amounts of debt.

Also, try looking into recruiting. I've known a number of Psych grads that have started their careers (HR or sales related paths) that way.

You're lucky. A BA in Psychology is one of the most trashed resumes you can get. Unless you are willing to go for a PhD and get a clinical license, I would pass on a Psychology major.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

Beth, I'm 26 years old. I know that beggars can't be choosers, but I'd rather not go into the military because you can't quit if you hate it and whatever experience you get in it can't really be carried over to civilian jobs.

Almost Suicidal, what kind of positions could one get in a food stamps office?

William, I'll look into HR jobs. Also, that's partly why I've picked the major, too. I'm more on the introverted side of the spectrum, so as a kid, I was pretty reclusive. Basically, my days consisted of doing well in school and then playing video games, watching TV, or (later on) screwing around on the Internet. I seldom tried new things since it meant breaking out of my comfort zone and risking doing/saying something stupid. When my family began to try to persuade me to take summer jobs, I stubbornly refused. Why? Because I felt that jobs would do nothing but deprive me of my leisure time. I came from a modest household, so material things were never really important to me.

Once my sophomore year of college was coming to a close in 2008, though, the consequences finally caught up to me. My guidance counselor insisted that I had to pick a major and I had no idea what the Hell I wanted to do. How could I? I'd never allowed myself to experience a fraction of what my peers had. Thus, I did the only thing I could, I went off of preconceived notions.

"Well, people do tell me I'm good at hearing them out and being articulate online... and Sean McGuire from Good Will Hunting and that one professor from freshman year were pretty cool and interesting. Besides, you can makes load of money just from doing something noble and talking with people for a few hours a day. How can you go wrong?"

Big, big mistake... especially since I never once sought out an internship to test the water. So, needless to say, I'm very stressed right now. Not only do I have to find work I can live off of, but I have no idea what I want to do with the rest of my life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

What does your wife say?

Maybe she can give you some ideas on which direction to take.

How much is "sufficient pay" for you ?
$10 / hr, $15 /hr, 20 /hr....?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Psalm100 in North Carolina

14 months ago

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas said: What does your wife say?
/
Maybe she can give you some ideas on which direction to take.

How much is "sufficient pay" for you ?
$10 / hr, $15 /hr, 20 /hr....?

Did he say he was married or are you implying that he is married

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

14 months ago

Psalm100 in North Carolina said: Did he say he was married or are you implying that he is married

Beth thinks everyone is married.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

14 months ago

Psalm100 in North Carolina said: Did he say he was married or are you implying that he is married

Beth is gonna drive me bananas with her predictable ways.

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

14 months ago

Funny.

14 months ago

Sorry. Its just where I'm from 90% of the people are married so I forgot what I promised.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas said: Sorry. Its just where I'm from 90% of the people are married so I forgot what I promised.

And why aren't you married? Talk to me.

14 months ago

?????
I think I'm too conservative. Too old fashioned.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Lostmyhope in Virginia

14 months ago

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas said: David how old are you ?

Maybe join the military.

Somebody needs to b@tch slap you. seriously! I dont get you at all. Peaople here are hurting and you ask them the dumbest questions.

Almost Suicidal in Texas

14 months ago

David in Clifton, New Jersey said:
Almost Suicidal, what kind of positions could one get in a food stamps office?

Seeing walk-ins but mostly on the phone taking applications, asking personal questions, going into databases that have all of their personal financial information so you know if they are telling the truth, and calculating how much they are eligible to receive.

The job sucks, and if management does as well, you really won't like it...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in Texas

14 months ago

Lost,

I think Beth means well...There are certain age restrictions to joining the army.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lostmyhope in Virginia

14 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Texas said: Lost,

I think Beth means well...There are certain age restrictions to joining the army.

You are a patient man. there is something wrong about asking people if they are married and waht?

Lostmyhope in Virginia

14 months ago

sorry. cannot type good on this.

Almost Suicidal in Texas

14 months ago

I am a not so patient woman;-) Sometimes humor helps ease the stress for some people. Joe is engaging that way. I certainly doen't see any malicious comments on this site. I think many of us are at a loss for giving advice anymore, since so little seems to help. But we can still offer support, and hopefully sometimes a smile.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lostmyhope in Virginia

14 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Texas said: I am a not so patient woman;-) Sometimes humor helps ease the stress for some people. Joe is engaging that way. I certainly doen't see any malicious comments on this site. I think many of us are at a loss for giving advice anymore, since so little seems to help. But we can still offer support, and hopefully sometimes a smile.

thnx. not in a good place. I am not mad at joe. Just annoyed at some people asking questions and not being helpful. I will try amnd not be sounding so mad.

Bluetea in Texas

14 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Texas said: I am a not so patient woman;-) Joe is engaging that way. I certainly doen't see any malicious comments on this site.\

Don't encourage him.

Almost Suicidal in Texas

14 months ago

Lostmyhope in Virginia said: thnx. not in a good place. I am not mad at joe. Just annoyed at some people asking questions and not being helpful. I will try amnd not be sounding so mad.

I understand that you are having a hard time, Lost. And the way these forums are organized it's hard to find someone's previous posts. If you can direct me to where you posted your situation, I will offer whatever advice I can.

I am a librarian after all. Unemployed or not, I can still find information and offer advice!

Job Hunter in IL in Schaumburg, Illinois

14 months ago

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas said: Been there, got that degree. You can work in Health and Human Services (child protective services, food stamp office). Or look at MHMR programs. Case Worker for a non-profit. Those would be the best bets. Good luck.

Hello "In Texas", be encouraged! You have done good and will do better! Wait out your storm. I am currently in training with DCFS (Department of Child and Family Services). There are 750,000 children that are currently in state custody! Lots of psychology and social worker majors needed, I am sure! I believe a white collar jobs awaits you!
"Job hunter in IL"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in Cypress, Texas

14 months ago

Thank you Job hunter;-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Aww. Beth, I'm just tickled that you think I'm good enough to be in a relationship. ;-) Nonetheless, there is no wife or pseudo-wife here. My mother and some past teachers think that I have a knack for writing, but I don't write/type on a regular basis. Being in a writing funk is not something that I can just turn on and off like a TV.

Telling you what sufficient pay would be is difficult because I wouldn't know what wage all of my future expenses and taxes would require. The only thing I can really say is that I'd want to have the basics, a reliable car, and Internet access (preferably the high-speed variety I currently use). An on-site laundry facility would be nice, but I'm afraid that would jack the price up too much.

Thus far, the cheapest and closest studio apartments I've been able to find are in the $785 - $900 range.

Unemployed elementary teacher in Ashville, Ohio

14 months ago

You really need to take whatever job you can and if it doesn't pay enough work two jobs. You said you were lazy for a while and you should not expect sympathy from an employer.

I would like a white collar job too. Since being lazy isn't an option for me, I have had to tough it out as a shipping clerk and a factory worker until I find something better. It is how the world works now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Unemployed elementary teacher in Ashville, Ohio said: You really need to take whatever job you can and if it doesn't pay enough work two jobs. You said you were lazy for a while and you should not expect sympathy from an employer.

I would like a white collar job too. Since being lazy isn't an option for me, I have had to tough it out as a shipping clerk and a factory worker until I find something better. It is how the world works now.

Are you the person who used to post from Indiana?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Unemployed elementary teacher in Ashville, Ohio said: You really need to take whatever job you can and if it doesn't pay enough work two jobs. You said you were lazy for a while and you should not expect sympathy from an employer.

Yep. I had to work 2 part-time jobs for 3 years until I found a full-time job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas

14 months ago

Unemployed elementary teacher in Ashville, Ohio said: Have you looked for jobs in private schools?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

I'm fishing for direction, Unemployed, not sympathy. I know that there's no excusing laziness, but what I want to know is if there is entry-level work that would pay enough to live off of. I don't want to waste time applying to places that wind up paying poor wages if I could be applying to businesses that offer a reliable salary.

Maybe it's foolish for someone to think that such a job exists, but you have to keep in mind that I'm relatively new to the work world.

Almost, I'm not sure if you're addressing me through that quoted question thingamabob that you've got going on in that last post, but I'll answer it anyway. I have not looked into private school jobs on account of the fact that I don't have teaching credentials. As far as I know, the closest a non-education major can get is substitute teaching. I don't have a car, so getting to a school on short notice would be difficult.

Unemployed elementary teacher in Aberdeen, Ohio

14 months ago

A lot of employers only care about your work experience and your skills. They could care less that you have a degree and won't feel that they need to pay you more because you have one. A degree is no longer an easy ticket to good paying jobs and few jobs exist that just require a degree and no work experience. Actually, the only only one I can think of is Army officer.

The only other job I can think of that might not care about work experience and pays well is border patrol. However, I am not sure about this one. The Border Patrol might care about work experience since this is a government gig.

14 months ago

Get you CDL license and be an over the road trucker.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.