what kind of career can i get into?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (34)

Livia in Fort Worth, Texas

19 months ago

i'm sick of retail been there about 8 years almost 9 years i make about 10 per hour and i'm part time i don't get nice benefits or full time i work 32 hours a week but i don't know how to get into a career or finacially able to. i'm not that smart maybe thats why i'm in retail but what kind of career i can get into that actually pays 15 bucks an hour or more. I wish i could do those medical jobs but i don't think i'm phsyically able to since i'm pretty much weak and had a neck injury i need a take it easy job that doesn't invovle heavy physical stuff

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas

19 months ago

What about a retail job that pays commission?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

i don't know how to search for one or what title its called or how to search one when i type things on indeed it doesn't show results if i knew places to apply for i apply in person but i'm clueless on that

19 months ago

I know Macy"s does in some departments, maybe all. You could try using the search time "salary commission" in your job search and see if that helps.

Sometimes I think we are all going to end up on social security disability, if with nothing else, a psychiatric dx. System will go broke then for sure.

19 months ago

well some require college sadly i don't know if being retail gives me enough experience

19 months ago

Well, in this economy, I think the best advice is: If you have a job hold onto it. Look around, but don't quit until you have a solid offer somewhere else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

i'm not going to quit i have been searching everywhere even most rquire a degree thought my experience would help

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

19 months ago

Livia,

How old are you ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

i am 31 it may be weird for a 31 working in retails as a sales associate

Bluetea in Texas

19 months ago

Livia in Fort Worth, Texas said: i'm not going to quit i have been searching everywhere even most rquire a degree thought my experience would help

See if there is an adult course in bank teller operations. If you like it, you can apply for a bank teller position. In banking you can move up pretty far without a college degree as long as you work hard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

catfish503 in portland, Oregon

19 months ago

Livia in Fort Worth, Texas said: i'm sick of retail been there about 8 years almost 9 years i make about 10 per hour and i'm part time i don't get nice benefits or full time i work 32 hours a week but i don't know how to get into a career or finacially able to. i'm not that smart maybe thats why i'm in retail but what kind of career i can get into that actually pays 15 bucks an hour or more. I wish i could do those medical jobs but i don't think i'm phsyically able to since i'm pretty much weak and had a neck injury i need a take it easy job that doesn't invovle heavy physical stuff

Well maybe receptionist job. You have a lot of customer service experience and this is entry level into an office environment. The pay won't start at $15.00/hr, but it's out of retail....just a thought... ,-)

19 months ago

do bank tellers go up the ladder without a degree? how much experience does it take for a bank teller to become something i don't know what is up the ladder though i am interested in accounting but :\ like i said not that smart and i can't afford to get in debt if a bank teller can move up the ladder what are they ? how long does it usually take to get there?

William Gast in Burtonsville, Maryland

19 months ago

catfish503 in portland, Oregon said: Well maybe receptionist job. You have a lot of customer service experience and this is entry level into an office environment. The pay won't start at $15.00/hr, but it's out of retail....just a thought... ,-)

I second this. Try to apply to entry-level office admin/receptionist positions. Pay will probably start around where you're at now ($10 an hour, sometimes a little more), but if you work hard you can work your way up into office manager roles or in a larger company transfer to better positions in a different department.

Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

19 months ago

Livia in Fort Worth, Texas said: do bank tellers go up the ladder without a degree? how much experience does it take for a bank teller to become something i don't know what is up the ladder though i am interested in accounting but :\ like i said not that smart and i can't afford to get in debt if a bank teller can move up the ladder what are they ? how long does it usually take to get there?

Yes, you can move up to branch manager and even district manager after about five years. No degree required.

19 months ago

would it be bad if i worked 2 jobs at my retail and a bank? most banks will just hire 20-25 hours when i look at indeed don't know if i can manage that though

Bluetea in Texas

19 months ago

Livia in Fort Worth, Texas said: would it be bad if i worked 2 jobs at my retail and a bank? most banks will just hire 20-25 hours when i look at indeed don't know if i can manage that though

No, that is the one bad thing. If you are part time and most bank tellers are, your schedule changes from week to week.

One week, it might be Mon, Wed, Fri and the next week Tues, Wed and Sat. You can't really plan this.

Try for Full Time as that is steadier.

19 months ago

Livia in Fort Worth, Texas said: would it be bad if i worked 2 jobs at my retail and a bank? most banks will just hire 20-25 hours when i look at indeed don't know if i can manage that though

I agree with Bluetea about part time bank teller hours, but if this is what you really want than you should go for it. Banks close early on Saturday's and are not open Sunday's so you could possibly work in retail on those days. I believe if you don't follow your dreams you'll always look back and say to yourself, shoulda, coulda, woulda...you'll never know unless you try...again, just my thoughts... =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

Easy to say to follow your dreams but much harder in real life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas said: Easy to say to follow your dreams but much harder in real life.

Well I look at it that even if I don't succeed at least I tried instead of just thinking about it...I'm not saying that it would be easy, but if you don't try you'll never know...that's all! =|

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

True.

19 months ago

well i hope to find something soon my parents doesn't want me to live with them any longer but these apartments here are 400-500 thats half my salary :\ i do walk to work I was saving up for a car but its hard to cause I did had to see doctors my health was bad about 6 years ago. I'm hoping to see if i can apply to department manager instead but will they hire me with 8 years experience?

ThinkAgain in Cleveland, Ohio

19 months ago

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas said: Well, in this economy, I think the best advice is: If you have a job hold onto it. Look around, but don't quit until you have a solid offer somewhere else.

Totally get this as an employed person, but I don't do very well being kicked around every day. Employers know they hold all of the cards, so they hire incompetent bosses to spy and create problems. They don't want anyone getting too comfy.

Bluetea in Texas

19 months ago

ThinkAgain in Cleveland, Ohio said: Totally get this as an employed person, but I don't do very well being kicked around every day. Employers know they hold all of the cards, so they hire incompetent bosses to spy and create problems. They don't want anyone getting too comfy.

Overheard at my last job.

"Are we going to have a Christmas Party (code for Holiday potluck)

"Christmas Party? You're lucky to have a job".

"Okey dokey, just asking a question"

19 months ago

"I don't do very well being kicked around every day."

Nor do I. That's why I only lasted one month at the food stamp office. My supervisor treated her educated and competent staff like second graders.

And then, watching people work the system turned my stomach.

Worker: Sorry sir, you did not register with the Workforce Commission as you were asked to, therefore you are no longer eligible.

Client: Well, my disabled 17 year old daughter and her baby are coming to live with me, will I be eligible?

Worker: Absolutely, let's start that application now.

19 months ago

Then there was the afternoon I was meeting my employment counselor at the Workforce Commission and noticed her co-worker laboring over an email for such a long time that I finally glanced at the subject. "Good Morning My Love."

Speechless....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

I'm wondering how do you guys do it get a job you want if you got a job you wanted. I want to go back into studying but i am not smart maybe i should tested if i have some type of learning diasbility. I want to get into a buisiness field but i don't know what is a nice buisiness field. I feel like if i get a degree it would open more doors.

Almost Suicidal in Texas

19 months ago

Livia,

Lots of unemployed degrees here. Apply at a community college, the counseling center will give you aptitude tests to see where your talents lie. I see a lot of LVNs with jobs and that's something you get through pretty fast, if nursing is of interest to you.

19 months ago

i'm not interested in nursing don't know if i can handle it physicaly :(

Almost Suicidal in Texas

19 months ago

Livia,

You have a job. Ask for more hours, apply for full time jobs with the company, look at transferring to another area of the company, like shipping and receiving or human resources. See if they offer full time employees tuition assistance so you can take some classes.

19 months ago

I have tried but they can't do it i work at a retail at Target, they don't give there employees any of those nice benefits and i have been trying really hard getting good paying jobs but they either want a degree and experience in management. How do i do it?

Almost Suicidal in Cypress, Texas

19 months ago

Okay, final suggestion. While I would never recommend Walmart as an employer, they are currently running a commercial that states that 75% of their managers started as hourly employees. And apparently they do offer some tuition assistance. Now, wether or not they are telling the truth...maybe.

And you may very well have to work your way into one of those management positions before the tuition assistance is available. Still, it does sound better than the dead end that Target seems to be.

Degrees and experience are not doing much for many of us....

19 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Cypress, Texas said: Okay, final suggestion. While I would never recommend Walmart as an employer, they are currently running a commercial that states that 75% of their managers started as hourly employees. And apparently they do offer some tuition assistance. Now, wether or not they are telling the truth...maybe.

And you may very well have to work your way into one of those management positions before the tuition assistance is available. Still, it does sound better than the dead end that Target seems to be.

*)...Good job Almost! I think Livia should look into this! =)

William Gast in Burtonsville, Maryland

19 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Cypress, Texas said: Okay, final suggestion. While I would never recommend Walmart as an employer, they are currently running a commercial that states that 75% of their managers started as hourly employees. And apparently they do offer some tuition assistance. Now, wether or not they are telling the truth...maybe.

Agreed. I've seen the commercial a lot lately as well, and it makes me think that for certain folks, it may be a good opportunity if you're willing to be a dedicated, hard-working leader.

Livia, I would certainly look into Walmart if I were in your shoes and didn't have a degree. Ask them about career paths, what options they might offer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Livia in Grand Prairie, Texas

18 months ago

I may apply at petsmart as well and other companies that may have advance oppurnity, I am hoping to one day get my degree online even if takes years but if i can manage to do that it would be awesome thanks for the tips i'm going to try my hardest. I may have a shift supervisor job at Krogers though so hoping for the luck all i can get.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.