Graduated college with no job lined up. Do I keep holding out for a job in my field? Or do I find an unrelated job?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (31)

geography guy in Central, New Jersey

23 months ago

I just graduated college with no job lined up. That means I have one of two options. I can keep holding out for a job in my field. Or I can find an unrelated job.

I'd be reluctant to take an unrelated job. What if I take an unrelated job now but I get a job offer in my field a few months down the road? Then I'd have to leave the unrelated job. This would be frustrating to the employer. In fact, employers are sometimes reluctant to hire someone if they feel the person would just leave when something better comes along.

If I go too long without getting a job in my field, I realize I would need to eventually get an unrelated job. But in the mean time, what would be the best thing to do? I'm going to be living at home, so I guess I'm lucky in the sense that I don't need to earn money right away.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lumina1 in Bridgeport, Connecticut

23 months ago

geography guy in Central, New Jersey said: I just graduated college with no job lined up. That means I have one of two options. I can keep holding out for a job in my field. Or I can find an unrelated job.

I'd be reluctant to take an unrelated job. What if I take an unrelated job now but I get a job offer in my field a few months down the road? Then I'd have to leave the unrelated job. This would be frustrating to the employer. In fact, employers are sometimes reluctant to hire someone if they feel the person would just leave when something better comes along.

If I go too long without getting a job in my field, I realize I would need to eventually get an unrelated job. But in the mean time, what would be the best thing to do? I'm going to be living at home, so I guess I'm lucky in the sense that I don't need to earn money right away.

Look for unrelated jobs as well, and accept that you may be doing one for quite some time. Most students don't graduate with a job lined up. I graduated in May, I didn't have one lined up and neither did many of my friends. A lot had to move back home, I did. A few found jobs later and others took unrelated jobs. Keep looking for something in your field but get serious about jobs outside of it too.

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

23 months ago

This is how it starts out guys. Before you know it you will be 40 years old and still living at home.

Seriously, Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

23 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: This is how it starts out guys. Before you know it you will be 40 years old and still living at home.

Seriously, Good Luck.

Bahahahahaaaaa!

It's true.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Denver, Colorado

23 months ago

geography guy in Central, New Jersey said: I just graduated college with no job lined up. That means I have one of two options. I can keep holding out for a job in my field. Or I can find an unrelated job.

Do what you have to do. Don't worry about the employer. Most employers don't care about their employees, so there is no reason for workers to worry about inconveniencing their employer.

IMO, it looks better on your resume to have worked at a job outside your field than to not have worked at all. Others might disagree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

23 months ago

In this market? Are you kidding? You take what you can get.

I came out of college thinking I was going to set the world on fire and be handed a job. Obviously, that didn't happen. Reality hit quickly.

You don't want to have a gap. Gaps grow and never look good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

23 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: In this market? Are you kidding? You take what you can get.

I came out of college thinking I was going to set the world on fire and be handed a job. Obviously, that didn't happen. Reality hit quickly.

You don't want to have a gap. Gaps grow and never look good.

Heh! The first job I had out of grad school was cleaning houses under the table for cash. Yeah, I was sold the "Go to college" spiel as well.

The woman that I worked for knew more about "economics" than all of my professors.

Gaps are bad. Very bad. They think you were in prison.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Hire_me_dammit in Fort Wayne, Indiana

23 months ago

What field are you trying to get into? What college did you go 2, and what degree did you receive?

23 months ago

As my user name suggests, I have a degree in geography. I don't want to say the exact college, but I went to a state university. I'm trying to get into GIS or city planning. Those are the 2 main things I can do with my degree.

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

23 months ago

Hmm. Its tuff all around no matter what field you want to go into. Even nurses are having trouble finding work as new grads. I work at a hospital and all Depts have an unofficial hiring freeze.
When one person retires or leaves ... that position doesn't get filled.

Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

23 months ago

Beth,

You have been posting allot lately. Did you throw out your boyfriend?

You know I know someone available for you. What's that saying, out with the old and in with the new.

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

23 months ago

I took time off, my dad was sick...

When I ask people questions, its not that I'm being nosey but its cause I try to get a better understanding of their thinking and views.

This guy you are talking about...
6' 4" , 250 lbs of 100% USDA grade beef, GQ magazine good looks, starting QB for the NY Jets and his last name Tebow? ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Denver, Colorado

23 months ago

geography guy in Central, New Jersey said: As my user name suggests, I have a degree in geography. I don't want to say the exact college, but I went to a state university. I'm trying to get into GIS or city planning. Those are the 2 main things I can do with my degree.

The GIS instructor at a local community college claims that GIS is the easiest field to find a job in.

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

23 months ago

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas said: This guy you are talking about...
6' 4" , 250 lbs of 100% USDA grade beef, GQ magazine good looks, starting QB for the NY Jets and his last name Tebow? ;)
Tim isn't starting for the Jets, nor will he unless Rex Ryan loses it more than he has. Mark Sanchez is currently the starting quarterback for the Jets.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

Jeff in Denver, Colorado said: Don't worry about the employer. Most employers don't care about their employees, so there is no reason for workers to worry about inconveniencing their employer.

IMO, it looks better on your resume to have worked at a job outside your field than to not have worked at all. Others might disagree.

I agree with this comment. Get employed. You may wait forever until an opening in your major opens. You need meat for your résumé.

And, no, employers certainly don't care about employees. You'll find that out the longer you work. If you get an unrelated job and one that more closely matches your skills comes along and requires you to start immediately, do so without hesitation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

23 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: I agree with this comment. Get employed. You may wait forever until an opening in your major opens. You need meat for your résumé.

And, no, employers certainly don't care about employees. You'll find that out the longer you work. If you get an unrelated job and one that more closely matches your skills comes along and requires you to start immediately, do so without hesitation.

The psychological bond that once traded employee loyalty for job security has been forever breached. You work for yourself now - even though you may work for someone else.

Not that this is something you shout from the mountain tops.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: The psychological bond that once traded employee loyalty for job security has been forever breached. You work for yourself now - even though you may work for someone else..
No kidding. Something I learned far too late in life - though I'd love to try our what I learned, believe me.

One more thing I learned early on - always be prepared to jobhunt. Keep your résumé updated and/or never stop working on it. (I realize, Bluetea, you don't believe in resumes.) Save good examples of your work. Always be reading ads. Maintain a low profile and while your profile is down low keep your ear to the ground. Always brace yourself when the boss wants to see you in his/her office. And collect LORs from people who leave.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

23 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: No kidding. Something I learned far too late in life - though I'd love to try our what I learned, believe me.

One more thing I learned early on - always be prepared to jobhunt. Keep your résumé updated and/or never stop working on it. (I realize, Bluetea, you don't believe in resumes.) Save good examples of your work. Always be reading ads. Maintain a low profile and while your profile is down low keep your ear to the ground. Always brace yourself when the boss wants to see you in his/her office. And collect LORs from people who leave.

After two downsizes and one termination, you are preaching to the choir. I am 100% with you on this one. No job is forever anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

23 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: No kidding. Something I learned far too late in life - though I'd love to try our what I learned, believe me.

And try not to snicker when they start with the "We're a team" spiel. There is only one name on top of that Performance Review - yours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

Jeff in Denver, Colorado said: The GIS instructor at a local community college claims that GIS is the easiest field to find a job in.

That may be true in Denver where you live. From what I've seen during my job search, Denver has a lot of GIS jobs. Unfortunately, my location has no job market for GIS. GIS is the type of thing where the jobs are concentrated in a few places. It's not like accounting where you can get a job anywhere.

I am willing to relocate. In fact, I'd love to live in Denver. But a lot of jobs, especially entry level, seem to prefer locals. I can't afford to relocate to Denver unless I have a job offer. But I won't get a job offer unless I'm already living in Denver. This puts me in a pickle.

23 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: I agree with this comment. Get employed. You may wait forever until an opening in your major opens. You need meat for your résumé.

Another thing about working an unrelated job:

It wouldn't just be frustrating for the employer. It would be frustrating for me too. As I said on my above post, all the jobs in my field are outside this region. Therefore, getting a job in my field would require traveling for interviews and eventually relocating. How am I supposed to travel for interviews if I'm working?

Pie in Los Angeles, California

23 months ago

Look at what employers are looking for in your field. My guess is that GIS would involve different kinds of software, so knowing your way around those would be a nice thing to put on your resume. Join a LinkedIn group for jobs you're interested in and ask for some advice, many of them were in your same shoes at some point. Also talk to some of professors you liked, many of them have industry connections and might be willing to introduce you to someone if you were a good student.

23 months ago

geography guy in Central, New Jersey said: That may be true in Denver where you live. From what I've seen during my job search, Denver has a lot of GIS jobs. Unfortunately, my location has no job market for GIS. GIS is the type of thing where the jobs are concentrated in a few places. It's not like accounting where you can get a job anywhere.

I am willing to relocate. In fact, I'd love to live in Denver. But a lot of jobs, especially entry level, seem to prefer locals. I can't afford to relocate to Denver unless I have a job offer. But I won't get a job offer unless I'm already living in Denver. This puts me in a pickle.

I am curious. Does your background coincide with GPS systems aviation is turning to? Aviation is starting to use quite a bit of GPS for navigation and instrument approach procedures. Also a number of operators are ridding themselves of hard copy approach plates and charts and are going to paperless devices such as iPads to host these items. I've been out of aviation for a while but I still pay attention if I hear of new developments.

I bring it up because the leading aviation charts provider, Jeppesen, is located in Denver. Somehow I sense that your background and Jepp's business may be congruent.

Only a suggestion.

23 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: I am curious. Does your background coincide with GPS systems aviation is turning to? Aviation is starting to use quite a bit of GPS for navigation and instrument approach procedures. Also a number of operators are ridding themselves of hard copy approach plates and charts and are going to paperless devices such as iPads to host these items. I've been out of aviation for a while but I still pay attention if I hear of new developments.

I bring it up because the leading aviation charts provider, Jeppesen, is located in Denver. Somehow I sense that your background and Jepp's business may be congruent.

Only a suggestion.

My background is not in GPS, but I will check out that aviation company.

23 months ago

Besides Denver, some other locations I'm interested in are:

Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Portland, Minneapolis, Chicago, New Orleans, and certain places in Texas (DFW, Houston, Austin)

Texas in particular is good for GIS because of all the oil companies.

23 months ago

geography guy in Central, New Jersey said: My background is not in GPS, but I will check out that aviation company.
Do. It's a great company.

careers.jeppesen.com/

23 months ago

Take any job that you can get at this point. I would apply for jobs in your field while also apply for jobs outside your field that offers decent pay. It's going to be tough to get ANY position in today's economy without work experience in the field st8 out of school..do u have any work experience to go along with your degree?

23 months ago

Hire_me_dammit in Fort Wayne, Indiana said: Take any job that you can get at this point. I would apply for jobs in your field while also apply for jobs outside your field that offers decent pay. It's going to be tough to get ANY position in today's economy without work experience in the field st8 out of school..do u have any work experience to go along with your degree?

I did an internship during college.

23 months ago

i doubt if thats going to help you...every field wants at least a year experience..most recent grad from any field will tell u the same thing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

If I expand my job search to include jobs outside my field, what are some jobs I should look at? Obviously I can't be something like a nurse or biologist. Those jobs require specific degrees.

But what are some jobs that would take someone with any degree? Other than sales jobs. I've seen plenty of salesman job openings, and they take graduates of any major. But my personality type wouldn't do well in sales (and since sales is commission-based, you'll only make a living if you're good at it).

23 months ago

most jobs that require any kind of skill is going to require related experience. send your resumes out and see how many interviews you get is all i can tell u (and adjust your expectations accordingly)..this should let you know where u stand..

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.