Employers Taking Advantage in the Current Economy

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 165)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

sillyann8 in Hilo, Hawaii

59 months ago

I applied for several jobs, and did manage to get 3 interviews. Problem is, although all of the jobs "required" a Bachelors degree, they all have "starting" wages of less than $12/hr! Is this a national trend??? I'm curious to know if anyone else has had similar experiences. It seems as though employers are just trying to cheat/take advantege of us. Come on, now...I didn't spend all those years and money pursuing my BA to get paid $11/hour! Here in Hawaii, a gallon of milk goes for over $7, if you don't get it on sale... gas is at $ 3.50/ gallon....how can we survive?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No Reply - Report abuse

Looking for a job in Cincinnati, Ohio

58 months ago

It's a trend. I work in accounting and I've seen a lot of postings in my area where the salary is pretty insulting when you look at the requirements. Lots of employers want 10-15 years expierence, MBA and/or CPA for $50k a year.

Little do they know, if they find someone to take the job, as soon as the market turns around the person who took that job is going to be gone so fast their head will spin.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No Reply - Report abuse

Taken Advantage of Candidate in Hoffman Estates, Illinois

58 months ago

I feel that employers are just taking advantage of candidates! I just had an interview a few days ago, and the office manager was suppose to inform candidates of the salary range, well I wasn't and when I got to the interview one of the first things that the manager asked if I was told about the salary, as she could not pay very much. I told her I was not informed and it was $11K per year less and she asked me if I wanted to continue the interview, I said No, and she asked if she could keep my resume in the event that she could pay more in the future, I said yes, and she apoligized and the interview ended after being there only 15 mins. She will never be able to come up that much in salary...maybe in 10 years when I am ready to retire.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No Reply - Report abuse

agnesdigfoot in Brooklyn, New York

57 months ago

[QUOTE who=" one of the first things that the manager asked if I was told about the salary, as she could not pay very much.

I wonder if she goes into a restaurant and asks for the steak dinner but expects to just pay for the appetizer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No Reply - Report abuse

Qualifiedck in Naperville, Illinois

57 months ago

I think the one comment is correct. Companies or hiring managers are taking advantage of candidates. They have so many applying for the job, they seem to want to take the younger ones that will do it for less or not knowledgeable enought to know what the job should pay & not question it... Who cares if they leave in time. It doesn't seem to be now, where you stay at a job for longer than 2-3 years. They can save on the money now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jayden T in Alabama

57 months ago

Looking for a job in Cincinnati, Ohio said: It's a trend. I work in accounting and I've seen a lot of postings in my area where the salary is pretty insulting when you look at the requirements. Lots of employers want 10-15 years expierence, MBA and/or CPA for $50k a year.

Little do they know, if they find someone to take the job, as soon as the market turns around the person who took that job is going to be gone so fast their head will spin.

I absolutely agree especially with the last sentence.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Slatington, Pennsylvania

55 months ago

It's just starting to get ugly. American companies are fleecing the poor worker and they can because its at will employment which means you the employee have No rights.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

WhatMiddleClass? in Des Plaines, Illinois

55 months ago

I actually read a blog of the CEO of a recruiting firm who said that candidates should accept a 40-50% salary cut if they want to get a job. Mike is right, they ARE fleecing us, and they know it. I just interviewed for a job that is identical to the one I was laid-off from last year -- same exact duties, same size firm -- but they are only paying $38-40K for the same job I made $70K working at. With 15 years of experience under my belt, this was more than insulting, it was downright depressing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

shoequeen in Plymouth, Minnesota

55 months ago

Experience does matter. Nobody wants to train you nowadays. They want self starter, college degrees some even MBA, familiar with software programs they use, BUT they don't want to pay much. They want it all for "free". So the person who just graduated from college does not have the experience, and the person who has grey hair looks like they will retire in a year or so, So the best person for the job is the 30-45 year old group, who has been there and done that, and some one who they THINK will be around till the next downturn and they can dispose them just like trash into the dumpster.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

Desperate for work in Des Plaines, Illinois

55 months ago

A recruiter told me the other day that I was over-qualified and under-educated for most of the jobs she is recruiting for. HUH?! Okay, so I guess the fact that I was working and getting practical experience for the past two decades doesn't mean squat when I'm up against an MBA or PhD with limited experience. Shoot me now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

candylove in chula vista, California

55 months ago

sillyann8 in Hilo, Hawaii said: I applied for several jobs, and did manage to get 3 interviews. Problem is, although all of the jobs "required" a Bachelors degree, they all have "starting" wages of less than $12/hr! Is this a national trend??? I'm curious to know if anyone else has had similar experiences. It seems as though employers are just trying to cheat/take advantege of us. Come on, now...I didn't spend all those years and money pursuing my BA to get paid $11/hour! Here in Hawaii, a gallon of milk goes for over $7, if you don't get it on sale... gas is at $ 3.50/ gallon....how can we survive?

I've noticed the same thing. Some want a masters but want to start around twenty per hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Are You Serious in Denver, Colorado

55 months ago

Yuck! I even heard stories of highly college educated bickering for a job at KFC or Mickey D's. I feel sorry for those who paid all that for their education and that's the raw deal they were served.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joanna in Berwyn, Illinois

55 months ago

I certainly would not waste money going back to school to get a degree if you did not get one when you were 18. It costs a lot more now and it will not buy you a higher paying job. It may not even get you a job, and then how are you going to pay for the loan?? Take online training if you can find something free or go to the library and find books in the subject you want to study and self teach yourself! You will get the knowledge without going broke.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

In the Dark in Des Plaines, Illinois

55 months ago

Joanna, I would agree with you...to a point. It really depends on what industry you work in. If you aspire to be an engineer of any kind, you need the degree and probably some graduate level degrees as well. However, for many industries there are certification programs that are considered "post-graduate" level that can be obtained in a couple of years of self-study and would make a Bachelor's degree moot when combined with industry experience. I'm thinking about many IT certifications and financial certifications such as CPA, CFA, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

sillyann8 in Hilo, Hawaii said: I applied for several jobs, and did manage to get 3 interviews. Problem is, although all of the jobs "required" a Bachelors degree, they all have "starting" wages of less than $12/hr! Is this a national trend??? I'm curious to know if anyone else has had similar experiences. It seems as though employers are just trying to cheat/take advantege of us. Come on, now...I didn't spend all those years and money pursuing my BA to get paid $11/hour! Here in Hawaii, a gallon of milk goes for over $7, if you don't get it on sale... gas is at $ 3.50/ gallon....how can we survive?

I can believe milk and other things like gas are high in Hawaii!

I'm curious to know if any of these (serious) prospective employers have considered purchasing vehicless employees a vehicle, and/or provide a gas allowance or flat out, a sufficient hourly wage all around so they can afford gas, car and car insurance!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Mike in Slatington, Pennsylvania said: It's just starting to get ugly. American companies are fleecing the poor worker and they can because its at will employment which means you the employee have No rights.

You truly do need to take your personal power back! Call me crazy, but isn't that giving away your personal power too easily? You have no rights? We as job applicants and employees do have rights and no law in the country says we are obligated to take a job or stay at a job in an abusive working environment or for an insufficient/inappropriate hourly wage. I have big dreams and aspirations in 2010 and I won't allow someone to push me around or tell me I should take and/or keep a job in an abusive working environment that is dissatisfying to me or work for pennies above minimum wage, when someone like me should be earning (well above minimum wage) an hour and should be working in an enjoyable, professional, and pleasant work environment! And if I need to hold up bills another year, and keep going through the court system, and have thousands more calls place into my home by bill collectors, I'll do it. It's high time my extremely basic needs came first. It's bad enough these people can't get up to par with an appropriate market value hourly working wage, but then on top of this, these employer's can't provide a safe, pleasant, professional working environment for me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

agnesdigfoot in Brooklyn, New York said: [QUOTE who=" one of the first things that the manager asked if I was told about the salary, as she could not pay very much.

I wonder if she goes into a restaurant and asks for the steak dinner but expects to just pay for the appetizer.

I'm inspired by people who have higher expectations and standards for what is appropriate concerning wages! There is even a friend of the family, who told me she rejected job offers over pay issues. I'm not greedy and never have been, I'm just seeking my fair (market value) share and to be rewarded properly for hard work and ongoing good behavior in the workplace/career front. I really have a hard time buying these stories about employers "can't" pay me an approriate hourly wage, when some of them are making very good profits and are successful. I truly do think it's an all around lack of respect issue to not reward and value good employees. In fact, what I noticed alot of is, if the employer can't pay an employee a reasonable market value wage, they hire them on for a lower wage and then on top of this abuse and mistreat them. I definitely noticed that with a decline in wages, comes a decline in overall behavior.

2010 is definitely going to be the year I go after my dream job and if the pay or working environment/conditions are inappropriate and unprofessional, I won't be signing on the line.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

55 months ago

I have a 'Bachelors Degree' in Accounting, & Masters Degree in Finance and eight years of experience and cannot get an interview let alone a $12 an hour temp job. Once you have more than 5 years, you start experiencing age discrimination. Age discrimination doesn't happen when you are 40, try older than 30 today. Actually the 'best age' is probably 22-35. If you lose a job after age 35, you are essentially SOL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Are You Serious in Denver, Colorado said: Yuck! I even heard stories of highly college educated bickering for a job at KFC or Mickey D's. I feel sorry for those who paid all that for their education and that's the raw deal they were served.

Really?? Seems to me like most 'highly college educated' on the 'left side' of age 25 are still experiencing the job market of 2000 not 2010 meaning that they are getting 5-10 job offers each at decent salaries which explains why they can afford to pay the absurd rents in cities like NYC, San Francisco or Los Angeles.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Erin Myers in Reseda, California

54 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: So true! See my post, above.

Amen, so true. I think I have a Job lined up..I'm waiting for my Background Check to "go through" while I STILL send out Resumes and contact Recruiters. It's basically to the point that I will have to get promoted quickly to DM because of my age/experience level...I won't be able to play "Just a Store Manager" for too much longer...I've got way too many years of experience. etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DollyParton83 in Hackensack,NJ, New Jersey

54 months ago

I am at war with these companies taking advantage of job seekers during this time and they want to use the bull*BLEEP* a*BLEEP* excuse that "it's a recession".

What the F*** does that have to do with you paying someone with valuable experience that can contribute to your company. These Human Resources Departments need some restructuring. They have incompetent and unprofessional people that are handling these interviews.

NO ONE WITH OVER 15 YEARS EXPERIENCE IS GOING TO WORK FOR NO LESS THAN $25. I WISH CONGRESS CAN PASS A MANDATE ON THESE COMPANIES SO PEOPLE CAN GET BACK ON THEIR FEET INSTEAD OF EXTENDING UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

DollyParton83 in Hackensack,NJ, New Jersey said: I am at war with these companies taking advantage of job seekers during this time and they want to use the bull*BLEEP* a*BLEEP* excuse that "it's a recession".

What the F*** does that have to do with you paying someone with valuable experience that can contribute to your company. These Human Resources Departments need some restructuring. They have incompetent and unprofessional people that are handling these interviews.

NO ONE WITH OVER 15 YEARS EXPERIENCE IS GOING TO WORK FOR NO LESS THAN $25. I WISH CONGRESS CAN PASS A MANDATE ON THESE COMPANIES SO PEOPLE CAN GET BACK ON THEIR FEET INSTEAD OF EXTENDING UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS.

Well, to reply, I feel your pain. I'm worth around 27 in my Field, IF the Economy was GOOD. I guess the only Justice that many of these Companies will get, is having ppl like us leave when the Economy swings back upward.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

DollyParton83 in Hackensack,NJ, New Jersey

54 months ago

Don't let none of these companies try to put those "RECESSION" excuses in your minds because while those uppity folks trying to get you to accept $8 an hour jobs...they are making $60,000 a year with benefits.

They are so full of themselves to believe that because you are desperately trying to take care yourself and families that tyou would accept ANYTHING.

If you got your Bachelors and/or Master's degree along with 5 years experience...YOU DESERVE TO TAKE THEIR JOBS. I have worked in a corporate office where interviewers was basing their hires on can fit in the office clique and is more prettier. Guess what? Before those F***** laid me off, they got fired. They are struggling right now and that is great. I am seeing companies failing because they want to keep on with their politics and favoritism.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

DollyParton83 in Hackensack,NJ, New Jersey said: Don't let none of these companies try to put those "RECESSION" excuses in your minds because while those uppity folks trying to get you to accept $8 an hour jobs...they are making $60,000 a year with benefits.

They are so full of themselves to believe that because you are desperately trying to take care yourself and families that tyou would accept ANYTHING.

If you got your Bachelors and/or Master's degree along with 5 years experience...YOU DESERVE TO TAKE THEIR JOBS. I have worked in a corporate office where interviewers was basing their hires on can fit in the office clique and is more prettier. Guess what? Before those F***** laid me off, they got fired. They are struggling right now and that is great. I am seeing companies failing because they want to keep on with their politics and favoritism.

I have a BA in Accounting & MS in Finance and I am interviewing for $15 an hour temp jobs that are 2 hours long and you have to meet with at least four people. I spoke with a recruiter about a perm position who told me quote "They may not consider you because they ideally want someone no more than three years out of college" and my experience is 'too heavy' for what they are looking for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts said: I have a BA in Accounting & MS in Finance and I am interviewing for $15 an hour temp jobs that are 2 hours long and you have to meet with at least four people. I spoke with a recruiter about a perm position who told me quote "They may not consider you because they ideally want someone no more than three years out of college" and my experience is 'too heavy' for what they are looking for.

Nick...that's CRAZY!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Germantown, Maryland

54 months ago

Erin Myers in Reseda, California said: Nick...that's CRAZY!!

Yup crazy, I am now interviewing for temp positions. Temp positions that pay $15 an hour, require many interviews with the client company and recruiters that act 'put upon' if you dare follow up and know that they can report you to unemployment if you don't accept the job because they can say you 'refused an offer of work'..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Nick L in Germantown, Maryland said: Yup crazy, I am now interviewing for temp positions. Temp positions that pay $15 an hour, require many interviews with the client company and recruiters that act 'put upon' if you dare follow up and know that they can report you to unemployment if you don't accept the job because they can say you 'refused an offer of work'..

Wow, I feel for you Nick...good luck. I just started a Thread myself, my situation is even crazier. Apparently, according to my Background Check, I have no Credit History because they went thru 1 of the Big 3, not all 3 like they should've I guess, which had NONE of my old Debt reported to them (1 of the 3). I do have a Credit History so I am trying to figure out what to do! It's a Job I seriously want and I am so afraid that they are going to turn me down through no fault of my own!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mr Anonymous in Dallas, Texas

52 months ago

Experience only gets you so far in certain professions. In sales or customer service, anything over 3 years is overkill. I've got 14 years and I'm starting a new job along with kids who are barely out of high school.

And then there are the job postings for sales positions that demand a bachelor's degree but no exp. necessary.

So here I am at 37, almost a 3rd the way through college working on an engineering degree. business admin. degrees are a dime a dozen, sorry to say.

We're definately in a buyer's (employer's) market right now but I think that will change once the "baby-boomers" retire. HR departments will be begging for people to apply to fill all the vacancies. Either that or they'll just send the jobs to India.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Mr Anonymous in Dallas, Texas said: Experience only gets you so far in certain professions. In sales or customer service, anything over 3 years is overkill. I've got 14 years and I'm starting a new job along with kids who are barely out of high school.

And then there are the job postings for sales positions that demand a bachelor's degree but no exp. necessary.

So here I am at 37, almost a 3rd the way through college working on an engineering degree. business admin. degrees are a dime a dozen, sorry to say.

We're definately in a buyer's (employer's) market right now but I think that will change once the "baby-boomers" retire. HR departments will be begging for people to apply to fill all the vacancies. Either that or they'll just send the jobs to India.....

Is this your second degree? It isn't easy to just go back to school since a Bachelors degree costs over 100K and may exceed 250K.

Ones job history follows you for life, you cannot just start over

Those jobs that say bachelors but no experience are targeting people in their early - mid 20s.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mr Anonymous in Dallas, Texas

52 months ago

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts said: Is this your second degree? It isn't easy to just go back to school since a Bachelors degree costs over 100K and may exceed 250K.

Ones job history follows you for life, you cannot just start over

Those jobs that say bachelors but no experience are targeting people in their early - mid 20s.

Nope, it's my 1st degree. I've been turned down many times due to a lack of degree. I'm also sick of sales jobs. I enjoy working with electronics at the circuit-board level as a hobby so I figured it's time I make money doing it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Keith in Cincinnati, Ohio

50 months ago

I had to take a job paying $13.00 an hour--I was doing better in UC benefits. It's for a 3PL. The client, P&G, pays $40.00/hour for my time. The benefits are terrible and the working environment is miserable. I'm tied to a time clock all day, but the IT department leaves at 3:00 everyday and they drive off in their nice cars. Mine is barely staying together. Plus, because they can, they fire someone almost everyday. They know people are desperate and they can do whatever they want.

50 months ago

Keith in Cincinnati, Ohio said: I had to take a job paying $13.00 an hour--I was doing better in UC benefits. It's for a 3PL. The client, P&G, pays $40.00/hour for my time. The benefits are terrible and the working environment is miserable. I'm tied to a time clock all day, but the IT department leaves at 3:00 everyday and they drive off in their nice cars. Mine is barely staying together. Plus, because they can, they fire someone almost everyday. They know people are desperate and they can do whatever they want.

Same with me but I have NO benefits and making almost the same as on unemployment after taxes are taken out. This position is temporary but the responsibilities & requirements are the same as the permanent employees plus I have to deal directly with clients etc...

So I am working and not one of these people that most americans think are living the good life on unemployment benefits. This as my credit score falls further thru the 400's with multiple chargeoffs on my credit as well as many other items in collection, no health insurance, no chance of saving a dime (I still will be spending $3,000 OUT OF SAVINGS)either.

Oh, I drive a 10 year old Nissan while my coworkers shop for new cars on the internet.. One was saying that she 'gets a brand new car' every 2 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

50 months ago

Are You Serious in Denver, Colorado said: You truly do need to take your personal power back! Call me crazy, but isn't that giving away your personal power too easily? You have no rights? We as job applicants and employees do have rights and no law in the country says we are obligated to take a job or stay at a job in an abusive working environment or for an insufficient/inappropriate hourly wage. I have big dreams and aspirations in 2010 and I won't allow someone to push me around or tell me I should take and/or keep a job in an abusive working environment that is dissatisfying to me or work for pennies above minimum wage, when someone like me should be earning (well above minimum wage) an hour and should be working in an enjoyable, professional, and pleasant work environment! And if I need to hold up bills another year, and keep going through the court system, and have thousands more calls place into my home by bill collectors, I'll do it. It's high time my extremely basic needs came first. It's bad enough these people can't get up to par with an appropriate market value hourly working wage, but then on top of this, these employer's can't provide a safe, pleasant, professional working environment for me?

Serious: If you want to be out on the streets and be homeless, that's on you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Serious. I agree with you on one things. You don't have to put up with an abusive work environment. But there's going to come a time where you're just going to have to swallow your pride.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Up until I got my Social Security Disability six years ago, I just had to work full-time at a decent-paying wage. I may be single and childless, but I have an apartment to take care of, as well as rent and bills to pay. I wouldn't take anything under a certain wage and I had to work full time. I remember working two part-times jobs between 1986 and 1988. I had very little time to myself, but it was either that or else be out on the streets.

Now that I'm on SSDI, I can only work part-time and I can't make more than a thousand dollars a month. I've been out of work since February, and I'm seeing just the opposite. A lot of places want full-time. To me, that is not negotiable. I am not going to jeopardize my SSDI in any way, shape, or form. I will stay out as long as I have to until I find me the right opportunity, and that's the bottom line.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts said: Really?? Seems to me like most 'highly college educated' on the 'left side' of age 25 are still experiencing the job market of 2000 not 2010 meaning that they are getting 5-10 job offers each at decent salaries which explains why they can afford to pay the absurd rents in cities like NYC, San Francisco or Los Angeles.

The rents here in Philadelphia are getting high. In fact, I lived in downtown Philadelphia during the 90's, and thank God I was able to find a really cheap apartment. But now, the rents there are so sky-high that it's not even funny. I had to move out because I couldn't afford to pay the rent at the time on a lousy $6.00 an hour market research interviewing job.

Rents in downtown Philadelphia may be much higher, but their a bargain compared to either New York or Los Angeles. You guys know that I was last in L.A. back in 1983; working at a few minimum-wage telemarketing jobs. The cost of living there was high then and it's still high there today.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Angellee in Tampa, Florida

50 months ago

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania said:

Now that I'm on SSDI, I can only work part-time and I can't make more than a thousand dollars a month. I've been out of work since February, and I'm seeing just the opposite. A lot of places want full-time. To me, that is not negotiable. I am not going to jeopardize my SSDI in any way, shape, or form. I will stay out as long as I have to until I find me the right opportunity, and that's the bottom line.

You're SSDI is a true blessing. I agree that you shouldn't do anything to jeopardize it. Most people don't qualify for SSDI. They don't have that extra monthly income to rely on. I understand that having SSDI isn't wonderful because it means you have a disability, but it does help you in feeling secure that you won't become homeless, etc.

Cleo Paddera in Kansas City, Missouri

49 months ago

I'm staring at homelessness at age 52. I was a single mother for 20 years and could save nothing. Last year I was diagnosed with epilepsy and lost my job because my boss was afraid. I worked for an employer with fewer than 15 employees so I was not protected by the EEOC. I worked for a non profit not covered by the human rights commission. Now I have nothing but debt. I'm tired of living like this - going on interviews and being asked when I graduated college when I'm interviewing for a job that does not even require a degree. I was offered one job - slicing meat in a deli using a meat slicer. That was a good joke. I think I actually laughed a little, and thankfully I did not start crying, before I told the woman why I was not an appropriate candidate for that particular position While doing so I think I had an out of body experience. She thanked me for my honesty and said she would call if something I could do - oh and what was that by the way? - opened up somewhere. I came to the interview believing I was being considered for a cashier position.

I comfort myself by saying that this is not permanent. I will die someday and probably sooner than later and that is fine by me. I used to help people and I thought I made a difference in the world. Now I know, because of the way I'm treated in job interviews, that I am worthless junk with nothing to offer. I'm glad I believe that there is a better place we go to when we die, because otherwise I would cry at the futility of this existence.

I'm going to stop going on job interviews and find something to do for myself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

Angellee in Tampa, Florida

49 months ago

Cleo Paddera in Kansas City, Missouri said: I'm staring at homelessness at age 52. I was a single mother for 20 years and could save nothing. Last year I was diagnosed with epilepsy and lost my job because my boss was afraid. I worked for an employer with fewer than 15 employees so I was not protected by the EEOC. I worked for a non profit not covered by the human rights commission. Now I have nothing but debt. I'm tired of living like this - going on interviews and being asked when I graduated college when I'm interviewing for a job that does not even require a degree. She thanked me for my honesty and said she would call if something I could do - oh and what was that by the way? - opened up somewhere. I came to the interview believing I was being considered for a cashier position.

I comfort myself by saying that this is not permanent. I will die someday and probably sooner than later and that is fine by me. I used to help people and I thought I made a difference in the world. Now I know, because of the way I'm treated in job interviews, that I am worthless junk with nothing to offer. I'm glad I believe that there is a better place we go to when we die, because otherwise I would cry at the futility of this existence.

I'm going to stop going on job interviews and find something to do for myself.

I'm so sorry to hear this! If you ever need to talk, feel free to email me at starlee45@hotmail . com I wish I could help, but I'm in a bad situation also.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Realitycheck in Houston, Texas

49 months ago

I don't know anyone in the engineering or technology sector having trouble finding a job for fair market value or above right now. I agree with one comment someone made about bussiness degrees being a dime a dozen. Really, who needs that many business people when all the real work gets done by individuals who decided they could actually use their brain for something instead of sitting around and doing repetative tasks. HR could train a monkey to do those jobs. You might take offence to this, but it doesn't make it any less true. I agree that companies are taking advantage of people right now only because they can. When the economy gets better they will start to hire back some of those useless business majors and all will be fine. In your next life, try to leave a note to yourself to pick a degree that's worth a damn first then work on the business aspect. When I mean worth a damn, I mean recession proof. Seeya on the other side of my fat paycheck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

theinquirer in USA

49 months ago

Employers even take advantage in a good or better economy in more ways than one. Besides production goals and forced overtime one of the things you have to watch out for in any economy is those employers or management that frown on continuing education. I'm not talking about special consideration for a schedule that coincides with but rather a lack of respect and/or interests in continuing education.

I have had several employers in a 'better' economy want 24/7 availability for basically 40 hours a week if you were lucky. You also have to watchout for old timers that will block your attempts at further schooling as to keep their jobs secure from those with more training. Hate to say it when you are employed again some of the most dangerous types in any company are those near/on either side of 20 years service with a company.

I think many think the employers are pulling alot of stunts simply because this is the first time they have experienced a bad economy and this kind of treatment. I've seen tight local economies and hiring practices like this before.

Point being this won't be the last time you'll see this. Take advantage of any spare time & cash for any schooling and/or free training you can get even in better times. Load that resume up in better times- not after and unemployee. And if these tactics/practices really bug you make a effort with letters,protests and educating your friends and public to these issues even in 'good times'.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bigbirdie in Meriden, Connecticut

49 months ago

this thread had not been good for my attitude towards my job search! I too am unemployed since June of this year. I have had one job interview. In it, the president loved me and my resume and wanted to hire me on the spot. He of course asked me my salary requirements, I asked him what the positions pay range was and the high end was 10k less than what I was going to ask for; which was not $1 more than what I was making at my previous job! We haggled back and forth for a while and he agreed to pay what I was asking. I went in the next day for a 3 hr informal interview/observation of the plant. We talked some more and agreed on a date of hire. well, 2 weeks later (1 week before I was going to start) he sent me an email stating that they were slow and wanted to wait a couple of weeks before bringing me on. Now it is 4 weeks later and they have blown me off 3 times for a followup interview. Needless to say, the president did state that the controller was a hesitant about paying my salary and that I would have to prove myself and that I am worth my salary (i.e find ways to save them money, so they can afford my salary!) So here I am, no phone call back from them and right now I refuse to call them. this economy sucks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Slatington, Pennsylvania

49 months ago

I agree employers are abusing us. Been unemployed since January. My job was given to someone making half what I was making. Had several interviews...one job was put on hold, one job the potential boss called me by someone elses name, one company who swore they would get back to me either way didn't. For now I have stopped looking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

gimmie a break in Lisle, Illinois

49 months ago

All I have read on here is that companies are taking advantage of job seekers/employees. Have any of you looked around? the economy sucks. Everybody has a budget, including companies, large and small. Everyone has been hit. If you lost your job and have ZERO income, will you still go to Starbucks for your daily coffee break? most likely not. Businesses have lost income, one way or another. They can't afford to pay what they did in 2006, 2007 or 2008. Why not take the 11K cut and have income? 11k less is better than ZERO. I would love to sell my house for 300K like it would have in late 2007, but of course it will take many many years before that can be reality. And the only way for it to be reality is to have job seeker/employees like everyone here, get a job. swallow the mentality that "you are the best and you deserve the highest pay." Earn your way to that pay and if you are as good as you think, then it will come faster. Stop wasting your time eating unemployment benefits (which btw have screwed business all over) while bitching about making 11K less per year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

bigbirdie in Meriden, Connecticut

49 months ago

to gimmie a break in Ill......if you have a job you are one of the fortunate ones and it is very easy to say what you did while pulling in a paycheck but for those that are taking in 1/8 of what their normal paycheck used to be, I will not take a job for $10/hr when I have skills to do a job for $40/hr. So instead of collecting approx $540/wk, I'm supposed to go to work for $150/wk???? I don't think so! If we (meaning all the high pay workers) took the low paying jobs, who the heck do you think would still be collecting unemployment checks?....answer: the people who used to hold these low paying jobs! I am waiting for a job "closer" to my previous pay rate. I understand all businesses are tightening their belts, but will I be "low balled" by $15k-$20K? I think not!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

amanda in Fort Worth, Texas

49 months ago

It surely is sad but yes this is the norm so it seems. Alot of criteris for $8-12 jobs. How are we to survive off of that with everything else so costly? Not to mention then they try to get several different roles out of you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anna in Northbrook, Illinois

49 months ago

Talk about taking advantage: bit.ly/c6EhvV $12 an hour for a degreed employee? Insulting. And the language they use in the ad is insulting. All they will end up with is someone who is bitter, resentful and can't wait to get the out of there. Unbelievable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

amanda in Fort Worth, Texas

49 months ago

You are ever so right Anna, just recently I worked a temp job for a whopping $8 because i was tired of watching animal planet. lol...I'm degreed. The job itself involved scanning. Everyday, I questioned why did I do this to myself....I couldnt believe it had come down to this...Teens working at Six Flags make $8...no disrespect.

Cher in Tucson, Arizona

49 months ago

gimmie a break in Lisle, Illinois said: All I have read on here is that companies are taking advantage of job seekers/employees. Have any of you looked around? the economy sucks. Everybody has a budget, including companies, large and small. Everyone has been hit. If you lost your job and have ZERO income, will you still go to Starbucks for your daily coffee break? most likely not. Businesses have lost income, one way or another. They can't afford to pay what they did in 2006, 2007 or 2008. Why not take the 11K cut and have income? 11k less is better than ZERO. I would love to sell my house for 300K like it would have in late 2007, but of course it will take many many years before that can be reality. And the only way for it to be reality is to have job seeker/employees like everyone here, get a job. swallow the mentality that "you are the best and you deserve the highest pay." Earn your way to that pay and if you are as good as you think, then it will come faster. Stop wasting your time eating unemployment benefits (which btw have screwed business all over) while bitching about making 11K less per year.

Yes, thank you for saying that. I have a bachelor's degree, years of office administration experience, I know many computer software programs including all MS office and graphic design ones and I don't have a criminal record. However, here I am excited about an interview at Walgreens, probably for minimum wage, why, because that is all I can find in Tucson AZ. Whatever, I will suck it up for now, it's better than nothing. I really hope I get the job bc right now I have no income. I will work there and move my way up, you know, gain some management experience bc I have never supervised anyone before. At my last job I got paid at least 13k more a year but I can take that hit bc I don't have a family to support yet. However, I really feel for those who do have families and have to take accept that low paying job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Xavie in Coal Township, Pennsylvania

44 months ago

Employers are definitely taking advantage of the jobless 'recovery'. This is also true for higher skilled blue collar jobs as well. As someone with nearly 20 years experience and a total of 4 1/2 years of schooling at a cost of nearly $50,000 to me in three different disciplines yes employers are not paying their employees fair compensation.

This is a typical job ad in my field (industrial maintenance); Employer requires candidate to have at least a journeyman level skill level on up in at least 5 of the following disciplines: plc programming, pc knowledge, Microsoft Windows/Excell, electronic systems, electrician, mechanical, plumbing, pneumatics, hydraulics, plumbing, machinist, welding/cutting, forktruck mechanic, etc. Starting wages 10 to 12 dollars an hour. Low capout rates. Even with all of my experience and schooling I can't say I'm at a journeyman level in even 5 of these disciplines.

On top of this candidates are being required to work entire shifts by themselves being responsible for very large manufacturing facilities and even being on call for other shifts. The one post above was correct in that employers are preferring to hire younger people with just enough experience to get them by. This way the younger candidates are not aware of what they should be getting paid. On top of that the employers can smoke these new younger candidates for low pay and little questions. It's definitely an employers market.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.