12 job interviews but no job offers

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 236)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

38 months ago

Ever since I re-entered the job market back in late September, I've only had three in-person interviews. I had a fourth one scheduled for today (Tuesday, May 10), but then I suddenly realized that the company I was interviewing at was not accessible by public transportation. Therefore I called them and cancelled the interview. They guy (who I was supposed to interview with) called me back on my cellphone and he said that there's van service to the office complex from the public transit site. I told him that I have to have something that is located on or a near a public transit route.

I've been in that area before, and I believe that there's a cut-off time for the van service from the complex. It's also too far of a walk from the local transit speed line, and it's located on a street where there's no sidewalks. I'm also afraid of thunderstorms and God forbid if I ever got caught in one out there. I'm just going to keep on looking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (55) Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

I've also had a few phone interviews as well, but so far, nothing. But I'm not going to stop. Even if this market research place calls me back, I'm still going to keep on looking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

The first in-person interview that I had back in October was for a telemarketing position with a company that does seminars with accountants. Unfortunately, they wanted somebody who could work more hours, and I can't because of my SSDI.

The second one was back in February with a staffing agency for a telephone interviewing position, but then they decided to co with somebody else. I asked them why and the company didn't give them a reason.

Let's face it. In today's job market, they want somebody who is a 100% fit. A perfectionist. Somebody who will get in there and hit the ground running. If you're not 100% perfect, they don't even want you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Meh in Gibsonton, Florida

38 months ago

I'm amazed at the fact that you got 12 interviews.

Most people these days are lucky to get 3 or 4 within a period of up to a year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

DigThis in Newtown Square, Pennsylvania

38 months ago

Trying emailing the hiriing managers that you have met with. Be polite but ask them why you were not selected and if there is anything you can improve on for future reference. They may not all respond to you but should get a response from a few. That will be a good place to start for future interviews.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Lauren in Beltsville, Maryland

38 months ago

Meh in Gibsonton, Florida said: I'm amazed at the fact that you got 12 interviews.

I think I got 12 interviews in 9 months because of the area I'm in, if you do a google search of the top 10 cities that are hiring, I live close to two (D.C and Baltimore) Although at this point I a starting to look at CA and NY, gotta go where the jobs are *sigh

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

DigThis in Newtown Square, Pennsylvania said: Trying emailing the hiriing managers that you have met with. Be polite but ask them why you were not selected and if there is anything you can improve on for future reference. They may not all respond to you but should get a response from a few. That will be a good place to start for future interviews.

Thank you for the tip, I will do that in the future for sure!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

Meh in Gibsonton, Florida said: I'm amazed at the fact that you got 12 interviews.

I do feel lucky to have had so many interviews but until I get a real job, its hard to feel lucky about hearing so many rejections :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No Reply - Report abuse

annyomus in marietta, Georgia

38 months ago

i wish you the best of luck...what type of jobs are you applying for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rob in Silver Spring, Maryland

38 months ago

Really you have been lucky. I have been looking in the DC metro area for 6 months and had no face to face interviews. I have had some phone interviews with recruiters but they never lead anywhere. I have had 3 phone interviews with hiring managers and that is it. I have 20 years in business and an MBA. I think the job market is so bad that hiring managers are looking for people with less credentials that they can pay less.

Keep trying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

DigThis in Newtown Square, Pennsylvania said: Trying emailing the hiriing managers that you have met with. Be polite but ask them why you were not selected and if there is anything you can improve on for future reference. They may not all respond to you but should get a response from a few. That will be a good place to start for future interviews.

Dig this: At my second interview in February, I tried to find out why they chose somebody else, and the company didn't say.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

annyomus in marietta, Georgia said: i wish you the best of luck...what type of jobs are you applying for?

Thank you for the wishes, I am applying for jobs in the accounting/finance areas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

DigThis in Newtown Square, Pennsylvania

38 months ago

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania said: Dig this: At my second interview in February, I tried to find out why they chose somebody else, and the company didn't say.

Not everyone will reply but you may get a few that will follow up with some constructive feedback.

I think companies are less inclined to follow up nowadays since all of the employment laws and regulations. If they say one wrong thing a candidate can come back and sue for discrimination.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

just me in Woburn, Massachusetts said: We are in the same boat with the saem time # in the same time frame. I've had 6 interviews and 6 phone interviews and no job offers. I think the interview goes well and then no offer or I was not selected. My resume speaks volumes of experience, but I'm starting to believe that I don't interview well. The usually issues at least with me are nervousness such as jitters, rambling on about myself, and not speaking clearly. I try to catch myself during the interview, but the fact is I get nervous in a room full of people.

Sorry to hear that you get nervous during interviews, if its as bad as you say maybe you could take some classes on public speaking at a local community college? I know money maybe tight but possibly taking out a student loan for classes might help in the long-run. Good luck on your job hunt!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Job Seeker in Mount Holly Springs, Pennsylvania

38 months ago

I'm looking to move to the Baltimore area and have been relentlessly searching for a job. Not much luck. Has it been like this for a while?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

38 months ago

Yes, it has. I have been out of work for 3 very long years now with no prospects in sight. I have tried switching careers, taking classes, everything that has been suggested and that I can think of with few interviews and no offers.

I wish you good luck though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Job Seeker in Mount Holly Springs, Pennsylvania

38 months ago

Wow! 3 years is eternity to be out of work. Ever thought about trying temp agencies?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

38 months ago

Yes and none of them have worked.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

Unfortunately, the girl from the staffing agency who called me two weeks ago has been in and out of court a lot. Therefore she said that she would call me when something comes in, and I'm going to leave it at that.

In the meantime, I'm going to keep on keeping on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

I did have an interview schedule for last Tuesday (May 10) for an inside sales/appointment setting position. However, while I was on my way there, I suddenly realized that the company was nowhere near public transportation. Therefore I called the company and cancelled the interview.

It was a nationwide calling position, which is exactly what I'm looking for, but how am I going to get there if there's no public transportation. It's too far of a walk from the local Speedline. Even when I get off the local train route from downtown Philadelphia, there's a tiny walkway, but it's in a wooded area. The office also provides van service to both the speedline and the train station, but it only runs at certain times of the day, and I can't depend on this. Suppose I got sick and/or I had to go home early? I just couldn't do it. I have to have something that is 100% accessible by public transportation, and that's the bottom line.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Hello in Westborough, Massachusetts

38 months ago

I dont agree that hiring managers should be expected to give feedback to people on why they were not selected. I dont think its a good idea from a legal standpoint either, sounds like a pandora's box to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

Also, back in January (before I got laid off), I had an interview with a business-to-business collection agency for a telemarketing position. However, I cancelled the interview twice because of all the snow and ice here in Philadelphia. I have arthritis in both of my knees, I have trouble walking, and I wasn't about to slip and fall and break my neck on the ice. And besides, it was a job where I would calling businesses right here in the Philadelphia area. I'm looking for something where I can call all over the country.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

MyCon in Georgia

38 months ago

Hi Lauren,

After 3 in-person or phone interviews, but particularly with in-person interviews, I would be concerned. After 5, I would definitely be concerned.

Job searching starts with a good résumé or having (the right network) connections. It appears that you have a descent résumé, since you being invited to interviews. I’m sure you’ve done some form of self-critiquing, but it appears that you need to do a little bit more.

Here’s a few suggestions that you may or may not have heard of:
SOAR – Situation, Obstacles, Action & Result – May also be known as STAR
FAVs – Facts, Achievements & Value
Or Just List Out Your Accomplishments

Any one of these or a culmination of these & perhaps, with other interview techniques will greatly improve your interviewing skills. I just helped a friend & gave these same suggestions & now, he’ll be working with a major Fortune 500 company shortly. This particular company asked STAR questions & he nailed his interview after our preparation session. He was unemployed for 4 months.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

Response to MyCon in Georgia"]Hi Lauren,

After 3 in-person or phone interviews, but particularly with in-person interviews, I would be concerned. After 5, I would definitely be concerned."

Thanks for the response, I am concerned and will research you suggestions. These are the lessons I have learned.

1) ALWAYS, beware of the companies culture, I interviewed for a finance position at a very well known company, but was told " wow you are over dressed," although they were joking, the message they got was that I wouldn't fit in with their laid back style.

2) Become your own PR!! I have always down played myself, and didn't want the hiring manager to think that I would be competition one day,( after being out of work for 9 months, you'll try anything) Companies want leaders, at one company I actully said " oh I wouldn't want to manage anyone," of course they thought I wasn't aiming high.

3) Managers want to hire people that they think they can be friends with, if they don't like you, they won't hire you and vice versa.

4) A lot of companies look at credit reports,just an fyi.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MyCon in Georgia

38 months ago

Hi Lauren & Others,

Companies can only look at credit reports during the hiring process & only after you authorize them to by signing a document.

Part of interviewing is to determine how one will fit into the company’s “corporate culture”. This may be more for the employer, but it also benefits the candidate interviewing. As for being your own PR – You already know the answer to that. One must be careful what they say or it can be construed incorrectly.

There’s a lot of interviewing techniques out there. I gave you a few that have worked well for me & some others I assist. If interviewing with a bunch of people or in front of a panel & they ask you STAR type of questions, be sure to give different scenarios from different companies or projects. Giving the “same story” over & over with variations can be a red flag towards employers. In most instances, they want to see diversified experience.

Good Luck…

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

lpsharron in Livonia, Michigan

38 months ago

Lauren in Beltsville, Maryland said: In the last 9 months of job searching I have had 12 different interviews, but zero job offers. Most of the interviews seem to go really well and the conversation is great. I'm in the D.C job market, has anyone else experienced this? Also any HR people out there that could give me any tips would be greatly appreciated![/QU
I am in the Mi area and have sales experience and i too have experience the same thing, i am at a loss as to what to do , thinking its an age thing now , only 50

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dwg51357 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

38 months ago

I've experienced the same thing Lauren. I'm 54, got laid off from a longtime job and am changing careers to project management. I've had seven interviews in six months, but no job offers. Like you, most of the interviews went very well. I think it's really tough for people in our age demographic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tamara in Sturgis, Michigan

38 months ago

MyCon, can you please tell where one might locate additional information regarding the SOAR/STAR and FAV interviewing techniques? Like so many others here, I would like to improve my interviewing skills and the Q&A books that I have been reading have unfortunately led me astray in several instances. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

50+Joblesswoman in Cincinnati, Ohio

38 months ago

I have an unbelievably amount of work experience, college grad, with great interview skills and I have applied for 50 jobs, received about 10 interviews. All the interviews go great, or so I think, I can answer any direct question about my profession with out any nervousness as I am a professional, and all the standard behavioral questions asked I have memorized and they are solid. Here is my take on why I am still unemployed after a year of serious searching. I look like the boss, which is what I have been (manager, supervisor) and my experience, credentials and education is threatening to the younger woman/man who is interviewing me, or the person I would be reporting to. In fact, I have had people directly pick my brain for "freebie solutions to the companies on going problems" in order just to get some fresh ideas. This is really just intellectual stealing, because in the past many of these companies would hire consultants for their expertise, now I believe they falsely bring in good candidates just to gleen information from them. I even had a very odd situation happen to me. The interviewer was really interested in one of my old managment positions from 6 years ago, I mean questioning me about the environment, co-workers, who is there now, how were the benefits. So in doing research on the web I have come to find out that people who themselves are fearful that the pink slip is coming are interviewing people who have worked at places where they themselves are applying at or interested in. I also was being considered seriously for a job with a company, and called by a background checking organization who kept on insisting that I continue to give more and more references, I kept supplying them, until I literally was out of professional references. Finally, I said that is it I have no more contacts. He then asked me "how much did I want the job", said he "could pull strings". I asked who is he reported to. I called the company reported him, job offer withdrawn

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

JettingtoMars in US

38 months ago

and if you sound like you'll take their job or their best employee's job, they dont want you. I've seen that too as to why peeps dont get the job after an interview.

MyCon in Georgia

38 months ago

Tamara in Sturgis, Michigan said: MyCon, can you please tell where one might locate additional information regarding the SOAR/STAR and FAV interviewing techniques? Like so many others here, I would like to improve my interviewing skills and the Q&A books that I have been reading have unfortunately led me astray in several instances. Thanks!

Hi,

You should be able to find info. throughout the Internet. All of these are intended to make one “think” more of what they have accomplished in general & in specific situations while at specific jobs. Additionally, it will help you improve your interview skills.

First, start off informally. Just list out any & all accomplishments, tools, training received or conducted, equipment, software, processes, systems, etc. used or learned. As you begin to do this, you begin to see more & more what you’ve accomplished & then you’ll need to figure out on how to convey this onto your résumé. You know when you have a good résumé when it’s on multiple job boards & it starts generating inquiries, which eventually, will lead to interviews.

The SOAR or START story is you reiterating what’s on your résumé as well as other specific (S) situations, (O) Obstacles and the (A) Actions you took to (R) Resolve them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

JustNeedMe in Madison, Alabama

38 months ago

I have had seven interview in the past month..... IT's all about being aggressive and hitting the market hard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Georgia Peach

37 months ago

You are very correct in your suspicions. Employers use applicants to obtain information that they can use for their own selfish purposes - especially as it relates to 'sales'. Employers will call your references for solicitation purposes only - meaning that they are trying to win their business as a client. I was formerly a recruiter at a staffing agency and I KNOW the tricks that employers use for their own gain.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Grand Rapids, Michigan

37 months ago

Lauren in Beltsville, Maryland said: In the last 9 months of job searching I have had 12 different interviews, but zero job offers. Most of the interviews seem to go really well and the conversation is great. I'm in the D.C job market, has anyone else experienced this? Also any HR people out there that could give me any tips would be greatly appreciated!

I have been to 30+ interviews in about a year. Sometimes I get feedback on why (not even experience, trainings) I didn't get the job. Sometimes not. Most of the time it's been a complete waste of my time, energy, and money since I've literally driven across the country for interviews that lead to nowhere. The interviewers have, more than once, given me false hope that the "job is mine". The problem lies in the fact that there are SO MANY people out there looking for a job. The people hiring can afford to be picky...so they are. If the candidate is 100% perfect they just move on to whoever's next on the list. They don't need to put any time into calling them back to let them know because they're focused on the person they've hired. It's a nightmare these days. I've actually had possible employers offer jobs that require less than a high school diploma to me when I have a Master's degree.......and they think that I'll take it because I'm so desperate. To me that is a huge slap in the face & highly offensive. Hey HR Rep., how would you like me to offer you a job in waste management when you're trained in hiring? Get real. I'm beyond tired of this mess. I've wasted a year of my life hunting for jobs, interviewing, and being scrutinized by people I'll never see again. What is the point to all of it? I mean really.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (65) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Grand Rapids, Michigan

37 months ago

Lauren in Beltsville, Maryland said: In the last 9 months of job searching I have had 12 different interviews, but zero job offers. Most of the interviews seem to go really well and the conversation is great. I'm in the D.C job market, has anyone else experienced this? Also any HR people out there that could give me any tips would be greatly appreciated!

I have been to 30+ interviews in about a year. Sometimes I get feedback on why (not even experience, trainings) I didn't get the job. Sometimes not. Most of the time it's been a complete waste of my time, energy, and money since I've literally driven across the country for interviews that lead to nowhere. The interviewers have, more than once, given me false hope that the "job is mine". The problem lies in the fact that there are SO MANY people out there looking for a job. The people hiring can afford to be picky...so they are. If the candidate is 100% perfect they just move on to whoever's next on the list. They don't need to put any time into calling them back to let them know because they're focused on the person they've hired. It's a nightmare these days. I've actually had possible employers offer jobs that require less than a high school diploma to me when I have a Master's degree.......and they think that I'll take it because I'm so desperate. To me that is a huge slap in the face & highly offensive. Hey HR Rep., how would you like me to offer you a job in waste management when you're trained in hiring? Get real. I'm beyond tired of this mess. I've wasted a year of my life hunting for jobs, interviewing, and being scrutinized by people I'll never see again. What is the point to all of it? I mean really.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rick in Maple Rapids, Michigan

37 months ago

It's every employers fantasy now, to find the perfect candidate in these lousy times. Too bad though, that these people find no problem wasting so many peoples time, by interviewing, when they have no real intention of hiring. Alot of times, they post for a job opening, only to hire a prospect through suggestion by one of their own employees....or they go through the motions, to appease headquarters, and don't hire anyone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No Reply - Report abuse

Global Learning Guy in Montclair, New Jersey

37 months ago

Hi. Let me help you feel better. Since Sept 2010 (when I learning I would be ending my lengthy contract in Dec in a very prestigious learning role) I have interviewed with 31 companies in person - a few of which have gone to the second level. I actually had responses from 61 companies, 31 of which turned into live interviews. I am experiencing entirely new levels of frustation than I thought possible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

Anonymous in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: I have been to 30+ interviews in about a year. Sometimes I get feedback on why (not even experience, trainings) I didn't get the job. Sometimes not. Most of the time it's been a complete waste of my time, energy, and money since I've literally driven across the country for interviews that lead to nowhere. The interviewers have, more than once, given me false hope that the "job is mine". The problem lies in the fact that there are SO MANY people out there looking for a job. The people hiring can afford to be picky...so they are. If the candidate is 100% perfect they just move on to whoever's next on the list. They don't need to put any time into calling them back to let them know because they're focused on the person they've hired. It's a nightmare these days. I've actually had possible employers offer jobs that require less than a high school diploma to me when I have a Master's degree.......and they think that I'll take it because I'm so desperate. To me that is a huge slap in the face & highly offensive. Hey HR Rep., how would you like me to offer you a job in waste management when you're trained in hiring? Get real. I'm beyond tired of this mess. I've wasted a year of my life hunting for jobs, interviewing, and being scrutinized by people I'll never see again. What is the point to all of it? I mean really.

Your experience is almost exactly my own. 30 plus in person interviews since September (though I was working on a long contract through December)from a larger pool of 62 overall responses. Just like you I look and sound like the hiring manager's boss. It doesn't help that I am 6'5" and have an extremely authoritative presence. I actually taught in class in Executive Presence for chrissake. An astonishing and degrading job market.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

Lauren in Beltsville, Maryland said: I do feel lucky to have had so many interviews but until I get a real job, its hard to feel lucky about hearing so many rejections :(

In my case since I have gotten 30 in person interviews I have an entirely different problem. I am confident I can market to get in doors. But I have lost the usual confidence that a reasonable percentage (10%) of in person interviews will convert to offers. And since being more capable and experienced than the people interviewing you is now a liability (you can actually see it in their eyes) there can never be honest feedback on that. And so.. we are left....where?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

37 months ago

Global Learning Guy in Montclair, New Jersey said: In my case since I have gotten 30 in person interviews I have an entirely different problem. I am confident I can market to get in doors. But I have lost the usual confidence that a reasonable percentage (10%) of in person interviews will convert to offers. And since being more capable and experienced than the people interviewing you is now a liability (you can actually see it in their eyes) there can never be honest feedback on that. And so.. we are left....where?

I totally agree with this. I have been on about the same number of interviews and a good portion were for TEMP jobs (that now require the same interview, background/credit check as a full time perm jobs) and have not gotten offer except for low level short term temp jobs.
Just yesterday I was on an interview for a position where the title of the position changed between the time I had the phone interview and yesterdays in person interview. It went from Senior Support specialist to implementation specialist. The second person who was support said she was concerned I may not be 'challenged' enough in the position she asked me in the beginning about my experience in the financial service industry then said that my experience may be 'too much' for what they need.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

MyCon in Georgia

37 months ago

Hi Folks,

After 3 in-person or phone interviews, but particularly with in-person interviews, I would be concerned. After 5, I would definitely be concerned.

Here’s a few suggestions that you may or may not have heard of:
SOAR – Situation, Obstacles, Action & Result – May also be known as STAR
FAVs – Facts, Achievements & Value
Or Just List Out Your Accomplishments

Any one of these or a culmination of these & perhaps, with other interview techniques will greatly improve your interviewing skills. I just helped a friend & gave these same suggestions & now, he is working with a major Fortune 500 company. This particular company asked STAR questions & he nailed his interview after our mock-interview session. He was unemployed for 4 months.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

RAS in Grove City, Ohio

37 months ago

To all of the above.Nice to know were all in the same sinking boat.Im not sure when the hiring process changed to the internet,phone interviews,if lucky a personal interview just to be ignored.In my opinion if an employee of that company treated a customer like they treat potential candidates,they would be terminated.
Of all the jobs listed on Indeed,Monster,etc are real,we would all be working.Somehow these practices have to be dealt with.For what it's worth I did write to AARP(useless) regarding these practices,al they want is my subsciption money.Being a babyboomer(57) a widower and out of work for three years,I guess my only alternative is "nothing".We can all go back to school,spend money we dont have,and be ignored for another interview.What's the point?

Maybe some day the economy will turn around and then we can have the opportunity to tell these companys to shove it.For them to be picky is common.For tem to be unprofessional and misleading is just criminal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MyCon in Georgia

37 months ago

Hi RAS & Others,

Companies have to "continually improve" to stay competitive & hopefully, beat their competitors. In order to do this, they need the "right" people who also "continually improving" themselves.

No one is arguing that obtaining more credentials is costly, but depending on individual's circumstances, some training may be negotiated.

Times have changed & we have to learn to adapt to the resources, tools or techniques available to us. Regardless of age or fields we work in, there are some common tools available for all of us – Job boards, the “new” ways we apply for jobs, etc. There are ways to “fill in” the employment gap, such as getting involved with professional organizations.

Keep improving the résumé by utilizing some or all the techniques suggested above.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

MyCon in Georgia said: Hi RAS & Others,

Companies have to "continually improve" to stay competitive & hopefully, beat their competitors. In order to do this, they need the "right" people who also "continually improving" themselves.

No one is arguing that obtaining more credentials is costly, but depending on individual's circumstances, some training may be negotiated.

Times have changed & we have to learn to adapt to the resources, tools or techniques available to us. Regardless of age or fields we work in, there are some common tools available for all of us – Job boards, the “new” ways we apply for jobs, etc. There are ways to “fill in” the employment gap, such as getting involved with professional organizations.

Keep improving the résumé by utilizing some or all the techniques suggested above.

MYCON -- you cannot negotiate training. And many times these 'training' as well as post BA/BS, grad school programs are geared toward people whom are already employed. I went to several information sessions for grad school programs in the Boston area at major universities. These admission reps seemed to me like an extension of corporate HR -- they told me that 'we prefer' applicants who are employed in their field whose supervisor can write them a letter of recommendation or telling me basically that I am wasting my money changing fields or something along those lines. These programs also charge about $50,000 in tuition as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

{{Times have changed & we have to learn to adapt to the resources, tools or techniques available to us. Regardless of age or fields we work in, there are some common tools available for all of us – Job boards, the “new” ways we apply for jobs, etc. There are ways to “fill in” the employment gap, such as getting involved with professional organizations. }}}

You will still be given the 3rd degree. I constantly have to explain myself --- why I chose to 'temp so long'. Do I prefer to temp or 'do I want a full time job' at interviews.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

MyCon in Georgia

37 months ago

Hi Nick L & Others,

Yes - You can negotiate for certain types of training with some companies. How do I know this? I did it! Not once, but a few times throughout my career. Th first time was when I was fresh out of college & the training received back then launched my career. Other times was when I unemployed in 2009.

No ever said that one will get "free" training. It's a "give-give" situation. Employers & various training companies are well aware of the economy & unemployment. Some are more sympathetic or understanding than others. You know what they can offer. Figure out what you can offer in exchange?

A culmination of things needs to come together to succeed. Networking is still a very valuable approach, particularly when done right. No one likes a “beggar”, but one can still demonstrate their ”needs” in exchange for something else.

I’ve been a “temp” or “contract” employee myself for a number of years with a few “direct hire” opps in between. ( I currently have a direct hire opp.)

When I’m in an interview, I explain that I was seeking a “broader” career experience & this experience can or will contribute by….

Perhaps, you can improve your SOAR or STAR stories….

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed in Minneapolis, Minnesota

36 months ago

I'm in a simliar situation. I've been looking for about four months now, and I've interview face-to-face for five different jobs. A couple of them went to the final round, but still no offers. While it might be you interview poorly (that can be fixed), I think there are also other issues involved. It really seems like every company wants a PERFECTLY qualified candidate who will need absolutely no on-the-job training, be a wonderful personality fit for the "team," demonstrates the corporate values even before working at the company, and yet will take a pay cut, won't have any obligations outside of work and will never take more than an hour off. Some of the feedback I've gotten is ridiculous. I was actually told by one hiring manager they went with someone else because they "couldn't find enough about me online" and thought my references were "too good." Apparently, only jerks with long history of dirt on them succeed in that company.

On a personal level (and I know this will sound corny,) but it could be attitude, too. After going to all my interviews, I'm having a hard time maintaining the positive, "go-get-'em" attitude. I'm sure it shows in the interviews as well. Everyone is supposed to be "passionate" about every single "opportunity" that comes up, even if you know there's a good chance you'll never hear from them again after you leave the building, and they had no problem being rude and aggressive to you despite being as polite as you can possibly be. Maybe this is hitting you? I know my anger and apathy is starting to get in the way.

As for interview tricks or tips, maybe there is a non-profit or career center that offers some classes on interviewing. I've been meaning to go, but in Minnesota, those places shut down with the state government!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No Reply - Report abuse

They Changed My Town & Now It's Wrong in Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania

36 months ago

MyCon...Why are you here? If you are currently in a 'direct hire' position, why do you care what the unemployed are talking about?

It is just irritating when someone who is employed thinks it is so easy to get a job as long as you do A, B, or C. No offense, but you most likely are employed because of pure luck. You probably just happened to be in the right place at the right time where maybe you were hired after your first interview and/or sending only 2 or 3 resumes. Your overly positive view of job hunting and "it's all about the Soar" tells me you hardly went through unemployment, let alone for any length of time.

Let's see how you view not getting a job after it's been a while...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (53) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

36 months ago

McCon is a wanaba personal manager.

dave johns in Middletown, New York

36 months ago

Unemployed in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: I'm in a simliar situation. I've been looking for about four months now, and I've interview face-to-face for five different jobs. A couple of them went to the final round, but still no offers. While it might be you interview poorly (that can be fixed), I think there are also other issues involved. It really seems like every company wants a PERFECTLY qualified candidate who will need absolutely no on-the-job training, be a wonderful personality fit for the "team," demonstrates the corporate values even before working at the company, and yet will take a pay cut, won't have any obligations outside of work and will never take more than an hour off. Some of the feedback I've gotten is ridiculous. I was actually told by one hiring manager they went with someone else because they "couldn't find enough about me online" and thought my references were "too good." Apparently, only jerks with long history of dirt on them succeed in that company.

On a personal level (and I know this will sound corny,) but it could be attitude, too. After going to all my interviews, I'm having a hard time maintaining the positive, "go-get-'em" attitude. I'm sure it shows in the interviews as well. Everyone is supposed to be "passionate" about every single "opportunity" that comes up, even if you know there's a good chance you'll never hear from them again after you leave the building, and they had no problem being rude and aggressive to you despite being as polite as you can possibly be. Maybe this is hitting you? I know my anger and apathy is starting to get in the way.

/QUOTE]

Very true regarding what you wrote.
And, everyone does want PERFECTION.
I'm tired and I've only been out for 2 months.
Also, employers and search firms rather hire candidates who are currently employed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.