Following up after interview. Did I screw it up?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

abeitotzz in Santa Rosa, California

31 months ago

I had a 2nd phone interview (after HR) this time with my would be supervisor (if I get the job) from a company that I really really want to work for, and the position is just fantastic for me. This would be my first job if ever I get it.

Anyway, we had a great conversation she told me everything I needed to know. She said she liked my resume and my answers. But then she said that she needed to be honest and that there is one person who has a big chance of getting the job. She then asked me if I would be interested in a freelance position, which I said yes of course, but only until June because after that I would need to be full time (due to personal reasons). She said she wants to talk to me about it some more in case the full time positioned would be filled and we could even go out for coffee if I want, and asked me to keep in touch with her. But it doesn't mean I wouldn't get the job.

After we hanged up I sent her a very simple thank you letter 30minutes later. I think I screwed up over giving her a condition on the freelance position, which I would gladly take (screw my personal reasons). It took me a while to actually process that in, so I sent her a more thorough email with a few more details about myself and expressing my enthusiasm for either the full time position or the freelance one 3 days later, and that if she does want to have that coffee meeting.

Sorry for the long post but I was just wondering. Did I screw up with emailing her again only after 3 days and assuming too much? She got back to me fairly quickly after I sent my first email but it's been a week and a few days since our interview and a week since I sent my second email and I still haven't gotten any reply... she said she needed to fill up the position within the next 2 weeks after our interview but she didn't give me a time frame on when she would be in touch. She just said she'd be in touch soon.

Sorry again I'm just really on the edge cause this is my dream job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

31 months ago

Then email or call her again on Friday or Monday to reiterate your interest. Nobody here can tell you what's inside the interviewer's head.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

NOYB in Saint Louis, Missouri

31 months ago

Hello fellow job seekers/Indeed forum followers. After an extended period of time I finally got an interview after someone I knew who works at the company passed along my resume to the HR dept. The interview went well (at least as far as I could tell)and now am finding myself in the "wait and see" period as to whether or not I got the job. I did follow up already by sending HR a list of references and a past performance review, and I thanked the company for the chance to interview for the position. I was told I would hear from them regarding the status of my employment but I still have nothing in my inbox and no one has called me.

Those of you that follow my posts know that I am an Introvert and I am reluctant to use the phone to call them, especiallly as I feel the ball is in their court so to speak and they should be the ones to tell me if I qualified to start the training period. The last email I received said I would be contacted if I was selected, so that is what I am abiding by, despite pressure from family members to contact the company again to get their decision. I mean haven't I already showed initative by reaching out to the company after the interview?

To the OP, didn't mean to hijack your thread but I figured my situation is very similar to yours and I didn't want to "bury my post" in the Frustrated Job Seekers Rant...

Bluetea in Texas

31 months ago

NOYB in Saint Louis, Missouri said: Hello fellow job seekers/Indeed forum followers. After an extended period of time I finally got an interview after someone I knew who works at the company passed along my resume to the HR dept. The interview went well (at least as far as I could tell)and now am finding myself in the "wait and see" period as to whether or not I got the job. I did follow up already by sending HR a list of references and a past performance review, and I thanked the company for the chance to interview for the position. I was told I would hear from them regarding the status of my employment but I still have nothing in my inbox and no one has called me.

Those of you that follow my posts know that I am an Introvert and I am reluctant to use the phone to call them, especiallly as I feel the ball is in their court so to speak and they should be the ones to tell me if I qualified to start the training period. The last email I received said I would be contacted if I was selected, so that is what I am abiding by, despite pressure from family members to contact the company again to get their decision. I mean haven't I already showed initative by reaching out to the company after the interview?

To the OP, didn't mean to hijack your thread but I figured my situation is very similar to yours and I didn't want to "bury my post" in the Frustrated Job Seekers Rant...

All the emails/voicemails are very easy to ignore in today's online world.

Unless you are willing to bake them a cake, deliver it in person and find out what the Stooooory is, you are really just wasting your time with follow up. If you are the candidate of their choice, they will call. No, they aren't giggle heads with short term memories.

Once the interview is over, I am done. I just go home and apply for five more jobs.

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

31 months ago

I think I'm going to agree with Bluetea on this one. It is a disposable world where anything and everything can be deleted by one push of a finger. Notice is given back from employers in the minority of cases, in my experience. I think they're so overwhelmed with resumes, combing through resumes, interviewing and making the decision that they drop communication with those not in the running more often than not.

There have been times when I've written thank you notes, but lately I've stopped unless I felt I had a very good shot at the job.

I received notice back from the one recent instance where I sent a thank you note, but that was after a second interview.

In the other two recent instances, I didn't send a thank you note because I really didn't have a good feeling about the interview, and I never received any notice back whatsoever.

NOYB, they told you in their last piece of communication that they'd contact you if you were selected. I think I'd be inclined to wait things out.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.