Temp looking for real job at assignment site

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Rozina in Chicago, Illinois

29 months ago

I have been temping in a large office and the project that I am working on will be ending soon. I did notice that there is another temp working in the building, but in another department. Should I talk with the person in HR to see if there are other areas that may need a temp? The wages I am getting are low, but perhaps that would go higher if they would hire me on. I seems like they treat the employees good and the office is nice and modern. Talking to my agency is an option, but they might not know especially if the other department uses a different agency. I know that I am the first from my agency as HR wasn't sure how timesheets were done through my agency.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

29 months ago

Rozina in Chicago, Illinois said: I have been temping in a large office and the project that I am working on will be ending soon. I did notice that there is another temp working in the building, but in another department. Should I talk with the person in HR to see if there are other areas that may need a temp? The wages I am getting are low, but perhaps that would go higher if they would hire me on. I seems like they treat the employees good and the office is nice and modern. Talking to my agency is an option, but they might not know especially if the other department uses a different agency. I know that I am the first from my agency as HR wasn't sure how timesheets were done through my agency.

I haven't tempted in awhile so things might be different but I always asked, if there were other assignments available.

Now if the place was a sweat shop then I couldn't wait for the contract to end - even if they wanted me to stay.

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

29 months ago

The temp agency won't like you circumventing them by going straight to the employer's HR department without their authority. If they find out about it, you could receive a talking to. Temp agencies don't want you ferreting out any job opportunities at their client's office without their knowledge because it could cost them money.

Also, when you call back the temp agency to find out if they have any opportunities, don't expect them to say anything other than that they'll be in touch with you.

Temp agencies can sometimes get you work, but they're just plain ratty all the same.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sal in Salt Lake City, Utah

29 months ago

If you are at an assignment beyond the 4 month mark isn't that when you can be converted if they are interested in the temp?

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

29 months ago

You can be hired permanently at any time when you're on the job as a temp. Of course, that would mean the agency would be collecting a fee.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.