Interview/HR

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Alan in New York, New York

15 months ago

I had an interview a month ago. Two weeks after the interview an hr rep called to check my status - I.e am I still looking and to inform me they hadn't made a decision. The other day I called to check in to find out if a decision had been made. She told me they still hadn't made a decision and they're trying to fill a senior role before they make a decision on the position I interviewed for. She said the hiring manager is interested in me and I should here something in a few weeks. Is this a good sign.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

Alan in New York, New York said: I had an interview a month ago. Two weeks after the interview an hr rep called to check my status - I.e am I still looking and to inform me they hadn't made a decision. The other day I called to check in to find out if a decision had been made. She told me they still hadn't made a decision and they're trying to fill a senior role before they make a decision on the position I interviewed for. She said the hiring manager is interested in me and I should here something in a few weeks. Is this a good sign.

Its all BS. Keep looking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Michelle S. in Northville, Michigan

15 months ago

Sorry, Alan they are just full of crap. I don't know why these companies string people along. The only time it takes a long period of time to hire a person is with the government, secret service etc. Most places now can get a background check, credit check etc. in a day or two. Keep looking. If they call back at least you have other opportunities to review.

I applied for an advertising position last week. The hr person emailed me two to three times and we settled on a phone interview. Would you believe that the cow didn't even call me for the interview. This is an advertising coupon booklet sent to homes in Michigan, Chgo., and Minneapolis.

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

Michelle S. in Northville, Michigan said: Sorry, Alan they are just full of crap. I don't know why these companies string people along. The only time it takes a long period of time to hire a person is with the government, secret service etc. Most places now can get a background check, credit check etc. in a day or two. Keep looking. If they call back at least you have other opportunities to review.

I applied for an advertising position last week. The hr person emailed me two to three times and we settled on a phone interview. Would you believe that the cow didn't even call me for the interview. This is an advertising coupon booklet sent to homes in Michigan, Chgo., and Minneapolis.

I give them 30 days regardless of the story and they all have one:

1. Still interviewing other candidates.
2. Boss is on vacation.
3. Hiring freeze.
4. Going in a different direction.
5. "We'll be in touch".
6. etc.

If I haven't heard back in 30 days, its over.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

I did forget get to mention the jobs with the state I'm not sure if that means much. I'm still going to continue to look for other opportunities.

michael in Paris, France

15 months ago

I would keep your options open because it sounds like they'll want you to interview with the new Sr. Manager.. And what if that Sr. Manager already has someone in mind?

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

Alan in New York, New York said: I did forget get to mention the jobs with the state I'm not sure if that means much. I'm still going to continue to look for other opportunities.

Oh, that's different. That can take a long time. Gub'mint jobs are never in a hurry because they have no competition and no shortage of applicants.

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

15 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Its all BS. Keep looking.

Michelle S. in Northville, Michigan said: Sorry, Alan they are just full of crap.

I'm inclined to agree.

15 months ago

I had an interview a week ago with a place that provided multiple healthcare services (internal medicine, podiatry, dermatology, chiropractic, acupuncture, nutrition, weight loss, physical therapy, etc...), a place that brought traditional and alternative together. I was the last to interview that day and the practice manager made it a habit to tell me several times that she really liked me. Out of the 5 people she interviewed that day, I was one of two whom she liked the most. However, she still had 4 people to interview the next day. I was, of course, ecstatic and felt I had it in the bag, especially because she indicated that she had been entertaining the thought of hiring more than one person.

They called me Thursday afternoon to inform me that while they really liked me, they chose to go with someone else.

Before my friend Dina got hired with L&M Corrugated Container Corporation, she had been on several interviews similar to the one I was just one and left feeling extremely confident that she had the job only to learn shortly thereafter it was going to someone else.

IMHO, there is no more "good sign" when it comes to interviewing. Until you're told you're hired, keep pushing forward with your efforts to land a job and take whatever they tell you with a grain of salt.

15 months ago

So the moral of the story is to cross ya fingers and keep searching

15 months ago

Alan in New York, New York said: So the moral of the story is to cross ya fingers and keep searching

You got it.

My philosophy is until someone says you're hired or asks you if you want the job, just keep applying and going on interviews. Don't assume anything is or isn't a bad sign. 10, 15, 20 years ago you could easily tell. Because of the high unemployment, it's so hard to know and what seems like a good sign just isn't in most cases.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.