When to move on

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (24)

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

13 months ago

I know it's time to stop waiting for this job, but I need some neutral party confirmation.

I have been in a handful of interviews with a company. Some I didn't think I did well, others I knew I nailed. Last interview I had was on 5/22. After that interview, hr called me and said they had genuine interest, but there were 2 more candidates that had to meet with all the people that I did. They would make a final decision on June 10.

Now the cynic in me thinks I was a second choice and they are keeping me on the burner in case their #1 falls through. But what choice do I have except to wait?

They have been really good emailing me at least once a week since 5/22 and making sure I am still interested. When 6/10 came and went, I emailed back on 6/11 and asked if they had an update. Haven't heard back.

I need to emotionally disengage from this so I can focus on the next opportunity. I'm applying elsewhere, but my heart is still waiting for this job. Is it time for me to move on?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

13 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: I know it's time to stop waiting for this job, but I need some neutral party confirmation.

I have been in a handful of interviews with a company. Some I didn't think I did well, others I knew I nailed. Last interview I had was on 5/22. After that interview, hr called me and said they had genuine interest, but there were 2 more candidates that had to meet with all the people that I did. They would make a final decision on June 10.

Now the cynic in me thinks I was a second choice and they are keeping me on the burner in case their #1 falls through. But what choice do I have except to wait?

They have been really good emailing me at least once a week since 5/22 and making sure I am still interested. When 6/10 came and went, I emailed back on 6/11 and asked if they had an update. Haven't heard back.

I need to emotionally disengage from this so I can focus on the next opportunity. I'm applying elsewhere, but my heart is still waiting for this job. Is it time for me to move on?

My drop dead date for this job would be 7/10/2013 and NEVER stop applying for other positions.

I was the 2nd choice for my last job. Their dream candidate backed out. So there is a sliver of hope. But again, don't stop applying elsewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in Houston, Texas

13 months ago

It's awful when you find yourself becoming a disgruntled employee before you even get the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

13 months ago

And sometimes even before I get an interview.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado

13 months ago

My experience has been the employer would call me
within three days if I got the job.

It's bad for the psyche to hold out hope. I gave up on expecting rejection letters long ago. Thus, I give it no more than fifteen working days max. No word after that period of time and I move on. I'll decide if I'm still interested should they call me later. And, no, I take second place to no one. IMO it's bad psychology.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Loosing hope here. in Aspen, Colorado

13 months ago

I soooo much understand you can relate to yur situation big time. I got contacted by the Company while I was finishing my other job. They Contacted me !!!! Had 5 interviews, 4 on the phone with all of the Big People within the company traveled to the other city to meet 2 of them in person had 2 hour long in interview. Was told that I meet their expectations,Great candidate,lots of "wows" and "no ways" . I WAS SOOOOO SURE I GOT IT,would't you after so many interviews. The whole process was going for 2 month. The last email I got was from the district manager saying she will contact me at the end of the following week. WELL its been 3 month since the end of the following week. Emailed her twice - 0 responds. So unprofessional i don't get it...why drug me through so many interviews and at the end i don't even get a rejection letter. If i would get the NO word it would at least kill the hope in my heart... i did apply for other jobs,but no matter what i do understand its stupid to keep hoping ...but i still do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado

13 months ago

Do not send any more e-mails. Don't call. You have to move on. It's no way to live.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

13 months ago

It's not the lack of courtesy of no rejection letter that stings - we're all used to that. It's the hot and cold treatment. That's why letting go is hard - I spoke to them as recently as last week and it was all sunshine and roses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Loosing hope here. in Aspen, Colorado

13 months ago

Dear Lord. I so much want to email her expressing in the nicest way possible what i think about this whole 5 interview situation. Just ask which month following week she meant...and don't i deserve AT LEAST to know that i didn't get the job. All the crying and butterflies in my stomach just turned into so much anger. I am so tiered of People in a better position knowing how much this or that person want that job dont even care to give some kind of respond.I only wish they will experience something like this in their lifes...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado

13 months ago

Oh, it's always that way. I remember applying in person at an electronics store when I was a teenager. I filled out an app. I came back in person to followup. The man sounded hopeful and assured me I would be called.

By now I'm sure you have figured out the rest of the story..........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado

13 months ago

My post, above, directed to "Need New Job."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

13 months ago

Loosing hope here. in Aspen, Colorado said: Dear Lord. I so much want to email her expressing in the nicest way possible what i think about this whole 5 interview situation. Just ask which month following week she meant...and don't i deserve AT LEAST to know that i didn't get the job. All the crying and butterflies in my stomach just turned into so much anger. I am so tiered of People in a better position knowing how much this or that person want that job dont even care to give some kind of respond.I only wish they will experience something like this in their lifes...

No need for all this navel gazing. You put your own time limit on this waiting and wondering. I read somewhere that it should be 30 days and that is my rule.

If you are looking for common courtesy, job hunting ain't for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado

13 months ago

Loosing hope here. in Aspen, Colorado said: Dear Lord. I so much want to email her expressing in the nicest way possible what i think about this whole 5 interview situation. Just ask which month following week she meant...and don't i deserve AT LEAST to know that i didn't get the job...
She could not care less and you'll aggravate yourself further if you do. Don't bother. It's not worth it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Loosing hope here. in Aspen, Colorado

13 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: She could not care less and you'll aggravate yourself further if you do. Don't bother. It's not worth it.

Thank you... I needed a good advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

New England PM in Portsmouth, New Hampshire

13 months ago

I applied for an internal position two years ago. Was told I would hear within a week. Two weeks later I passed the hiring manager in the halls and asked how they were coming with their interviews. She told me they hired someone and they will be starting the following week.

Needless to say I was aggravated that my own company could not give me the courtesy of coming to me to tell me they were hiring someone else for that position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Need New Job in Hoffman Estates, Illinois

13 months ago

Ok, trying to compartmentalize and move on. Easier said than done!

How do you let go? I keep telling myself that it is not happening but I am still refreshing my email every 5 minutes looking for a message that isn't going to come.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

13 months ago

Primary way I find to help "let go"....

find other activities to occupy (what's left of) my mind

Included could be applying for other jobs, computer games, volunteering, calling someone on the phone, etc

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

13 months ago

Need New Job in Hoffman Estates, Illinois said: Ok, trying to compartmentalize and move on. Easier said than done!

How do you let go? I keep telling myself that it is not happening but I am still refreshing my email every 5 minutes looking for a message that isn't going to come.

All of us have had "really great interviews" only to hear nothing. Regardless of what they said (People say a lot of things) you put an expiration date on all this waiting and you NEVER stop applying for other jobs.

For me, I mark off 30 days from the date of my last interview or resume submission. Discipline.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

12 months ago

I did finally get the "we're going in a different direction" canned response.

I would normally ask for feedback, but I've decided that this company either won't respond or won't provide me anything useful.

So now I can move on. What a collasal waste of energy was for this one. Lesson learned: don't get emotionally attached to future opportunities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

12 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: I did finally get the "we're going in a different direction" canned response.

I would normally ask for feedback, but I've decided that this company either won't respond or won't provide me anything useful.

So now I can move on. What a collasal waste of energy was for this one. Lesson learned: don't get emotionally attached to future opportunities.

LOL! Welcome to the club. Again, when an interview is over, go home and immediately apply for five more jobs. Pay no attention to the "We'll be in touch" line.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Analystpro in Greenville, South Carolina

12 months ago

You deserve more for yourself than waiting for that phone call. Keep yourself busy and try and put that potential job on the backburner as you seek other opportunities.

Something perfect will come along just for you either way.

Keep the faith!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

KA2 in Sydney, Australia

12 months ago

Looking at the bright side, as you are applying for other jobs, some interviewing should start occuring.

As they are not waiting for anything from you for the job you are waiting for, just let it go, and IF they happen to contact you then it would great. But if they don't, hopefully other opportunities will be in the pipeline .....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

StillSearchin' in Westbury, New York

11 months ago

I am going through a similar process right now actually. Was recently offered a position with a company thats based in UAE. Went through all the steps such as salary negotiation, background check and drug test. The results came back as expected and passed both tests. The manager that interviewed told me that she wanted me to the start on the 1st of July which was then pushed back to the 21st of July. When I had followed up to see if I was still going to start on the 21st of July. She responded that they are still processing my information and that it took her 3 months to get into her position.

Is this the norm for companies based in the middle east to have a waiting period before offering a job contract?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

11 months ago

StillSearchin' in Westbury, New York said: I am going through a similar process right now actually. Was recently offered a position with a company thats based in UAE. Went through all the steps such as salary negotiation, background check and drug test. The results came back as expected and passed both tests. The manager that interviewed told me that she wanted me to the start on the 1st of July which was then pushed back to the 21st of July. When I had followed up to see if I was still going to start on the 21st of July. She responded that they are still processing my information and that it took her 3 months to get into her position.

Is this the norm for companies based in the middle east to have a waiting period before offering a job contract?

Regardless of the story, never stop applying at other places. The only exception might be a government job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.