Things interviewers say that let's you know you won't get an offer

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 311)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

sighing in southern, New Jersey

24 months ago

SHORT interviews-there is no substance, the interviewers have nothing much to say. I know some interviews may be brief, but if they only ask a few questions, it is not a good sign. I think an interview should be a half hour at the very least, but it can depend on the job. Anything under that seems bad to me (unless they specify it is a screening).

When they just seem disinterested/like they are just going through the motions.

When they ask questions that have nothing to do with the job and/or ask very few relevant questions.

When they do not tell you much about the job, the starting date, etc.

When they indicate they do not know something they should have, meaning they never read your resume-I had an interview last year where I drove an hour and as soon as I sat down, they said I lived too far. My town is usually well-known; it was obvious they had not noted where I lived.

When they ask questions, you answer, and they do not seem to like your answers.

When they do not write anything down/have no notes, your resume there.

When they are really late-keep you waiting for the interview for a while.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (253) / No (85) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

24 months ago

Every interviewee knows when an interview goes great, ok, or bad. You just know.

Inside of one's self you know whether or not you connected well with the interviewer.

More than anything it's the interviewer's body language, facial expressions, and other non word actions that will tell you how the interview is going.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (170) / No (87) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

24 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Don't encourage her.

Unemployed people have no sense of humor. Heh!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (97) Reply - Report abuse

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin

24 months ago

Third interview is for showing your real talents. Bring some balls to juggle and a kazoo. That should get you the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (85) / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Ellenville, New York

24 months ago

Under-Employed in Memphis, Tennessee said: Well... the HR manager just emailed me and the CEO would like me to come in for a second interview (third total) this coming week. I was told two interviews and the reference check was the hiring process, now a third interview? Hmm.

Sometimes the interview with the head cheese is just a formality.

They drill you at the first 2 interviews. They want you. But the manager needs the ok from the head dude dude dude.

Just don't let your guard down now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

24 months ago

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona said: I've actually been hired, had a start date and wound up getting the big phone call and being told they don't need me.
Not the job I am going to soon, but that could happen. I have a lot of fear about this job, that no matter what I do, it won't be right. You know if there was an opening, someone was there before. And they weren't a "good fit".

Just make sure that you are applying for a job that was previously done by three other people before the last downsize.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona

24 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Sorry, that sure be AREN'T applying for a job that was done by 3 other people. You will be miserable.

How could you ever know?
Employers aren't going to tell you that.

They aren't going to tell you that they had 3 people leave and you're filling all of their shoes. All they will do is make you feel incompetent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: Third interview is for showing your real talents. Bring some balls to juggle and a kazoo. That should get you the job.

Yep, that's when the silly questions get even sillier.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

24 months ago

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona said: How could you ever know?
Employers aren't going to tell you that.

They aren't going to tell you that they had 3 people leave and you're filling all of their shoes. All they will do is make you feel incompetent.

I usuallly ask:

1. How much training can I expect?
2. Why did this job come about?
3. Describe a typical day for me.

If they sit back in their chair and sigh, I think this might not be for me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (58) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

24 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I usually ask:

1. How much training can I expect?
2. Why did this job come about?
3. Describe a typical day for me.

Excellent questions to ask interviewers.

You can also ask about the next step in the process, how many candidates they're interviewing, and their profile of the ideal candidate for the position. If you have the guts (I wouldn't), followup by asking how you comport with that profile.

Also ask if you can followup after the interview. That way they can't b!tch if you call to followup several days later. I wouldn't abuse the privilege, however.

Bluetea in Texas said: If they sit back in their chair and sigh, I think this might not be for me?
Read my post, above, if you haven't already.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Why? Why ask why? They hired someone else.

Yes, they are always looking at someone else, even when you accept the job. Even after you are hired. They are like sleazes now, always looking for someone else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Stillsmiling in Saint Marys, Georgia

24 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: Excellent questions to ask interviewers.

You can also ask about the next step in the process, how many candidates they're interviewing, and their profile of the ideal candidate for the position. If you have the guts (I wouldn't), followup by asking how you comport with that profile.

Also ask if you can followup after the interview. That way they can't b!tch if you call to followup several days later. I wouldn't abuse the privilege, however.

Read my post, above, if you haven't already.

Another question interviewers like is: Now that you've had a chance to go over my resume and talk to me, do you have any concerns about my ability to perform this job that I can answer for you?

I've actually gotten feedback that they like this. Well they may like it but not enough to give me a job yet. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Heh! I got my last job that way. I wasn't their dream candidate (who backed out). I was the runner up. I found this out later. I didnt' care, I was there for five years.

Yeah, the jobs never last anymore. Either they get rid of us, we or get rid of them. I learned the hard way not to give up too much. It never made any difference in the long run.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

24 months ago

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona said: Yes, they are always looking at someone else, even when you accept the job. Even after you are hired. They are like sleazes now, always looking for someone else.

I think the market dictates that they can, so they do. If unemployment were at 4%, they might not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

24 months ago

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona said: Yeah, the jobs never last anymore. Either they get rid of us, we or get rid of them. I learned the hard way not to give up too much. It never made any difference in the long run.

How many retirement parties have you been to lately?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

SuperG in Lake Forest, California

24 months ago

Under-Employed in Memphis, Tennessee said: Well... the HR manager just emailed me and the CEO would like me to come in for a second interview (third total) this coming week. I was told two interviews and the reference check was the hiring process, now a third interview? Hmm.

Congrats on the third interview. As other posters said, this is most likely a formality to make the bigwig feel important. Take it seriously. You probably won't get any nuts-and-bolts job related questions here, he will simply try to guage how you will fit with the team. Please do some preparation. Research the company and have some questions ready to ask during the interview. For example, if there was an article on the company about some product launch last year, ask him how it worked out, etc. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: How many retirement parties have you been to lately?

hahaha, that's so true. Speaking of retirement parties, I recently ran into an old coworker from my factory days, which was almost 11 years ago. I worked there for 10 years and got laid off when things got slow. I got nothing but a boot out the door. She worked there 13 years, retired, and got the catered lunch and $2000 for her years of work. Nice, huh?

From the sounds of it, I don't think I would have wanted to stay there. This old coworker didn't have a lot of nice things to say about what went down after a bunch of us got laid off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

24 months ago

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: hahaha, that's so true. Speaking of retirement parties, I recently ran into an old coworker from my factory days, which was almost 11 years ago. I worked there for 10 years and got laid off when things got slow. I got nothing but a boot out the door. She worked there 13 years, retired, and got the catered lunch and $2000 for her years of work. Nice, huh?

From the sounds of it, I don't think I would have wanted to stay there. This old coworker didn't have a lot of nice things to say about what went down after a bunch of us got laid off.

Even when you get your next job, you start looking or training for the one after that. Otherwise, you will be back here again in a few years. No job is forever anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana

24 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Even when you get your next job, you start looking or training for the one after that. Otherwise, you will be back here again in a few years. No job is forever anymore.

I totally agree.

I have asked when there is an opening, what happened to the last person? If they didn't work out, I ask why, what things made them "not work out"? I haven't gotten any negativity for asking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Even when you get your next job, you start looking or training for the one after that. Otherwise, you will be back here again in a few years. No job is forever anymore.

I've learned to not trust any employers. They all lie and they don't ever feel sorry for you either. You're just someone to toss out the door.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

In my case, I generally heard no later than three days later max. Not hearing anything days later was a sure sign I didn't get it - all of which makes so much of the followup discussion here rather fruitless.

I would the reason why they call back quickly is not fear that someone else will snag you but because they simply want to end the process and get back to work. IMO not many people realize the number of manhours lost to screening resumes, interviewing and vetting candidates, and training them, where applicable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

clever screen name here in Orem, Utah

21 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: In my case, I generally heard no later than three days later max. Not hearing anything days later was a sure sign I didn't get it - all of which makes so much of the followup discussion here rather fruitless.

I would the reason why they call back quickly is not fear that someone else will snag you but because they simply want to end the process and get back to work. IMO not many people realize the number of manhours lost to screening resumes, interviewing and vetting candidates, and training them, where applicable.

I hear that. It is probably just as much of a pain in the rear end for employers to interview, as it is for jobseekers to scour the internet, filling out sometimes hundreds of applications.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

21 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: IMO not many people realize the number of manhours lost to screening resumes, interviewing and vetting candidates, and training them, where applicable.

So true; and time lost determining the requirements, and lost when someone else has to cover that position or employ workarounds because that position remains unfilled. It's an expensive process (not that every organization is equally aware of).

In my particular role, there's a lot of 'greenfielding' -- it's not been done before and it's harder to make a decision when it's a new role. And they often backburner it because there are frequently quite a few stakeholders who's buy-in is required.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

In my first law firm, time lost to producing billable work. The shareholder would have all billers sit in on attorney interviews over multiple days - she called it "Committee of the Whole." It was absurd beyind belief.

Prior to law, I would attend only one interview, or maybe multiple interviews but all in one day. I understand (I guess) that she was thoroughly testing "fit" and compatibility - but isn't it the duty of all employees in any workplace to try to get along? I never understood it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

In my first law firm, time lost to interviewing attorney candidates that could have been better used for producing billable work. The shareholder would have all billers sit in on attorney interviews over multiple days - she called it "Committee of the Whole." It was absurd beyind belief.

Prior to law, I would attend only one interview, or maybe multiple interviews but all in one day. I understand (I guess) that she was thoroughly testing "fit" and compatibility - but isn't it the duty of all employees in any workplace to try to get along? I never understood it.

(Clarified)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

21 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: but isn't it the duty of all employees in any workplace to try to get along? I never understood it.

(Clarified)

There's getting along, and there's working well together. Most managers do not want to nor can afford the time and effort to help a team learn how to work more efficiently.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

21 months ago

jenab in Austin, Texas said: There's getting along, and there's working well together. Most managers do not want to nor can afford the time and effort to help a team learn how to work more efficiently.

Most managers have never gotten past the first chapter on team building.

The last place that I worked didn't even use that term - they thought it was too 80's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Frustrated graduate in Los Angeles, California

20 months ago

Key signs:

"We're in the process of interviewing others, we'll get back to you." Means: You suck and do not fit what we're looking for.

"I actually have another meeting starting shortly, I'll have HR follow up to share next steps." Means: you talk too damn much and I need a way to get out of this convo.

Weeks without a response even after following up. Means: I'm too busy to respond, hope she/he gets the point.

"The hiring manager is currently on travel for the next week, but I'll get you a response as soon as he returns" Means: We're still interviewing candidates but don't want to let you go until we lock in a candidate...we're trying to see if we can find someone better.

"We'll keep your resume on file." Means: you didn't get the job and never will. We're just being polite. :-)

Good luck job seekers!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (79) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

xixi in Berkeley, California

20 months ago

Thanks for the advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

20 months ago

Marloo in La La Land said: As sad as it is to admit, "we still have other candidates to interview" usually means you didnt get the job. Body language is another big one, you can cause this very quickly by not giving them the answers they are looking for. Its all downhill from there...

They all say that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

KIK in Chicago, Illinois

19 months ago

jenab in Austin, Texas said: So true; and time lost determining the requirements, and lost when someone else has to cover that position or employ workarounds because that position remains unfilled. It's an expensive process (not that every organization is equally aware of).

I recently went on an interview for a job that was first described as a "technician", then when they saw my resume, they upgraded it to an "engineer" - then I interviewed, I was told they really liked me - only to be called back later and told they wanted a Director and would not be wanting me! All this from a small shop that could have been well served by my 20 years of experience. I'm crushed. If I can't even get a small mfg to be interested, I'm doomed. BTW, it was good hour and a half interview with lots of shop talk that went quite well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

KIK in Chicago, Illinois

19 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Most managers have never gotten past the first chapter on team building.

The last place that I worked didn't even use that term - they thought it was too 80's.

Yeah but they pay it a lot of lip service until you describe the teams you have been on. Then they get skittish and don't want you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Still hopeful in Santa Clara, California

19 months ago

When the interviewer is not prepared. Don't even have your resume with him during the interview. Asked if you brought a copy and then left your resume after the interview!
It's kinda annoying but then again he is the hiring manager!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

19 months ago

KIK in Chicago, Illinois said: Yeah but they pay it a lot of lip service until you describe the teams you have been on. Then they get skittish and don't want you.

They get nervous when you ask them how many names are at the top of your Performance Review as well.

"Just mine? Then where does the team come in?"

blown away in Sunapee, New Hampshire

19 months ago

Today, during an interview I was particularly looking forward to, I was asked the rudest question. Im a veteran and a recent graduate of a fairly prestigious school. The vacancy for the sales position i was applying to had no educational requirements noted. I have a Bachelors. Since my area of study is more towards the "law enforcement" side of things, the senior individual present asked if I was planning on applying to the local police department. Really? I thought I was interviewing for a job in sales!!! At this point, the tone of the interview was devastated, and I should've just walked out. It was quite clear and obvious that none of the four representatives present had read my resume or my letter of intent; correspondence that I put a lot of time in with the other senior exec (my point of contact, not present at the interview). So the individual I felt that I was developing a rapport with scheduled my interview with people who didn't bother to know anything about me prior to shaking hands. HOWEVER, I knew each of their names and their roles prior to the interview, thinking it paid to do my homework on the company.
One individual asked where I lived and how long my commute was to the location. If she had looked at the header of my resume, directly in front of her, she would notice that I live in the town next to hers.
At the end, I asked for cards; one of four company representatives actually produced one for me. From there, I was basically shooed out the door.
If this had been a job I was neither here nor there about, I really could've cared less. However, it was a great opportunity to join a (seemingly) successful firm that engineers and builds some really breath taking structures. SUPER bummed out; ultimately insulted. Back to the ****ing drawing board.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Me in Plover, Wisconsin

19 months ago

I just had an interview yesterday where the interviewer talked down to me, lied to me about the position (a friend of mine interviewed an hour or so before and gave me details, it was two completely different interviews) and said they had no time to train anyone, basically told me that he was a really smart guy and I was a dumdass (sorry, no other way to put it), negative body language, had his laptop computer screen up the whole 15 minutes, no notes taken, kicked back in his chair, wouldn't make eye contact, he kept giving me the big sigh, talked about the level of service/respect/knowledge they deserve (yet wouldn't extend those feelings in an interview) and then proceeds to tell me that "you know, I am just not feeling it with you." WOW! What I find funny is that they are going to lose a very large sale for some equipment by a family member of mine because of the treatment I got. The jokes on them now! I had the interviewer from hell!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (60) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Markmywordz in Oakville, Ontario

19 months ago

You can describe your employer by logging onto 'Rate my Employer'

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

NorthOfTheD in Troy, Michigan

19 months ago

Me in Plover, Wisconsin said: I just had an interview yesterday where the interviewer talked down to me, lied to me about the position (a friend of mine interviewed an hour or so before and gave me details, it was two completely different interviews) and said they had no time to train anyone, basically told me that he was a really smart guy and I was a dumdass (sorry, no other way to put it), negative body language, had his laptop computer screen up the whole 15 minutes, no notes taken, kicked back in his chair, wouldn't make eye contact, he kept giving me the big sigh, talked about the level of service/respect/knowledge they deserve (yet wouldn't extend those feelings in an interview) and then proceeds to tell me that "you know, I am just not feeling it with you." WOW! What I find funny is that they are going to lose a very large sale for some equipment by a family member of mine because of the treatment I got. The jokes on them now! I had the interviewer from hell!

This is one of the main reasons I'm surprised that so many companies dare to risk having a rude or unprofessional HR/recruiting staff. All it takes is treating one individual like garbage - a son, daughter, niece, nephew, grandson, granddaughter, mother, father, best friend, neighbor, former colleague, etc of someone important, such as a large purchaser - and that company can lose thousands (perhaps even millions) of dollars just like that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Me in Plover, Wisconsin

19 months ago

NorthOfTheD in Troy, Michigan said: This is one of the main reasons I'm surprised that so many companies dare to risk having a rude or unprofessional HR/recruiting staff. All it takes is treating one individual like garbage - a son, daughter, niece, nephew, grandson, granddaughter, mother, father, best friend, neighbor, former colleague, etc of someone important, such as a large purchaser - and that company can lose thousands (perhaps even millions) of dollars just like that.

The one thing I forgot to add was that they called me to set up an interview. Long back story, but they got my name from an employee. That is another thing that floors me. All in all, a waste of time and is now turning into a good laugh, as much as it still upsets me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

19 months ago

beginagainla in Los Angeles, California said: 1. If they don't ask for your references, you didn't get the job.
2. If they're reading from a list of prepared questions and rush through them, skipping a few, you didn't get the job.
3. If they don't bother to take any notes or stop taking notes, you didn't get the job.

If they do this, you either dress funny or they have an internal candidate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Grant013 in Astoria, New York

19 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: They don't care. They have jobs. People want jobs. They have more candidates than jobs. They don't have to be nice.

All that would happen if HR treats someone important poorly is the HR person would be fired, if that. That person will be replaced. Some big cheese will smooth things over with the offended person or client.

I agree. In a big city like New York HR people are a dime a dozen. HR is such a hated occupation a lot of people on a certain professional level, that is in some circles, are kind of embarrassed to say they work in HR or their spouse does. HR attracts people with no real soft or hard skills. People with useless degrees like English, Philosophy, and some others like Sociology often go into HR. HR are basically bureaucratic paper pushing robots who are paid to always side with the corporation. They lack objectivity and a sense of personal responsibility, as well as basic character. Their knowledge consists of organizational psychology, some labor and benefit laws and maybe a miniscule level of corporate law? Please...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

Grant013 in Astoria, New York said: HR are basically bureaucratic paper pushing robots who are paid to always side with the corporation. They lack objectivity and a sense of personal responsibility, as well as basic character. Their knowledge consists of organizational psychology, some labor and benefit laws and maybe a miniscule level of corporate law?
Back in the day HR was astute. It could spot potential. It could carve out a place in a company for a candidate who did not meet every requirement but could grow into a job.

Now, these days, hiring managers submit requirements, oftentimes without considering the requiremetns' relation to actually doing to the job. HR receives resumes, runs the keyword and weighted searches, and submits the ones that match to hiring managers. No need for insight, perception or astuteness. My (very smart) 17-year-old nephew could do HR's job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Dee in Baltimore, Maryland

19 months ago

Dee in Baltimore, Maryland said: I have most of my work experience in retail and most of the interviews that I go to usually are terrible through no fault of my own. I feel that a lot of service jobs don't expect people to be intelligent. I have a few college credits under my belt. No, college doesn't make one intelligent but the critical thinking based courses that I've taken do help me look at things differently than others.

The manager will usually ask me a question and I guess they become shocked once they figure out that I may know as much as them when it comes to retail.

I'm not being conceited or anything but these employers would probably prefer somebody who doesn't have any ambitions and would rather work minimum wage jobs forever.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ga in Las Vegas, Nevada

19 months ago

Alchemist in St. Louis, Missouri said: I'm a hiring manager for the first time for a coordinator position (and also someone who has just been through a long job search myself). This is a grade above an entry-level position in an office environment for a nonprofit professional association. I actually took the first cut at the resumes, referred 50 or so ranked applications to HR, who does phone screenings, grades them, and sends recommendations back to me to schedule for interviews.

Which is a long-winded way of saying that we try to schedule at least 3 applicants for first-round interviews, and 1-2 for second (final) round interviews. Even if someone hits it out of the park as the first interviewee, we proceed with the other interviews we have scheduled -- maybe the next person will hit a grandslam.

So, absent the other indicators you mention, saying that there are other candidates to interview doesn't mean you didn't get the position. I've been told that and have ultimately received a job offer.

Thanks for your post. Wondering what your thoughts on this one??? I just finished SIX interviews with one company. After my second, I was told I'd hear by the end of that week but was contacted the first of the very next week. Then, I was scheduled for four more interviews (with different people), back-to-back and was told I'd hear more by the end of THAT week....

Didn't happen.

Now, we are going on the third week.. Today, I received an email; "the process is taking longer than we thought.. so if you don't hear from us in 10 days, call us..."

Hmmm....

Two weeks of my time at their disposal and jumping through hoops--keep going?? What say you?

Yes!____ This is a dud________ Good chance I'll get an offer____

19 months ago

ga in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Wondering what your thoughts on this one??? I received an email; "the process is taking longer than we thought.. so if you don't hear from us in 10 days, call us..."

Hmmm....

Two weeks of my time at their disposal and jumping through hoops--keep going?? What say you?

Personally, I like the fact that they have the DECENCY to send that email. It shows that they care somewhat about the candidates.

U made it thru 6 interviews so I think u have a good chance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

19 months ago

ga in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Thanks for your post. Wondering what your thoughts on this one??? I just finished SIX interviews with one company. After my second, I was told I'd hear by the end of that week but was contacted the first of the very next week. Then, I was scheduled for four more interviews (with different people), back-to-back and was told I'd hear more by the end of THAT week....

Didn't happen.

Now, we are going on the third week.. Today, I received an email; "the process is taking longer than we thought.. so if you don't hear from us in 10 days, call us..."

Hmmm....

Six interviews and four more to go? LOL! Are you trying to get a job or become the next Miss. America?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Molly in Jacksonville, Florida

19 months ago

I was interviewed a while back by about five people and they all were asking questions and one of them said that they didn't have any questions for me. If they are all there to interview you and one of them doesn't want to ask you questions then it's obvious that one of them, (at least) isn't in your corner.

Another thing that I have seen slipped in there is, "This is a pretty tough economy, isn't it?" It kind of caught me off gaurd and I said something like, "Yeah, it is." I regretted it the moment it came out of my mouth! I should have said something like, "Yes it is. That is why I feel that I am so fortunate to have an education and experience in this field." Something! I just end it with, "Yeah, it is." Not good!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

Molly in Jacksonville, Florida said:

Another thing that I have seen slipped in there is, "This is a pretty tough economy, isn't it?" It kind of caught me off gaurd and I said something like, "Yeah, it is." I regretted it the moment it came out of my mouth! I should have said something like, "Yes it is. That is why I feel that I am so fortunate to have an education and experience in this field." Something! I just end it with, "Yeah, it is." Not good!

This is the problem with interviewing and trying to land a job nowadays. You have to be perfect. You can't make any mistakes.

You sound like a good and educated person. But in today's world of interviewing that's not good enough.

I've done the same thing after interviews. Saying to myself, I should of done this and said that. Hogwash!!!! Looking back I've done well in most of my interviews.

In today's world for most people, their best is not good enough. The bar is just too high too get a job. And these people doing the interviewing could never ever get a job themselves.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Grant013 in Astoria, New York

19 months ago

yea! really. Some of these schmos interviewing are just losers. I mean company owners, and a few supervisors. I went home a few times and said, "Whaa.....the hell was THAT...?" Sloppy, needed haircut..shave..yellow teeth...improper language skills..lousy communication.clueless as to how to interview. one guy handed me a pencil written list of the legal holidays they allow employees to take. his chicken scratch...OMG. he couldn't ask one of his 3 employees to type it for him on a PC?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

Alchemist in St. Louis, Missouri said: So, absent the other indicators you mention, saying that there are other candidates to interview doesn't mean you didn't get the position. I've been told that and have ultimately received a job offer.
Good comment. I take the comment at its face value - they simply are interviewing other candidates. I may ask how many candidates they're interviewing and the next step.

I go more on their actions - which, of course, speak louder than words. E.g. I move on if I hear nothing further after a few days. I've had several jobs. I was either hired on the spot or offered the job within a few days max. Except for one or two jobs I never followed up. It never worked and was a wasted effort.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.