Choosing which responsibilities to list on your resume

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

athack in Katy, Texas

29 months ago

I'm trying to update my resume and I am having a hard time narrowing it down and just want to see if anyone has any advice. I currently manage a small business, and am responsible for all aspects of the business but can't list everything on my resume without seeming long winded. I want to narrow it down to the most pertinent, but it just ends up being too long.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Resume Rescue in Sydney, Australia

29 months ago

Hi Katy
choose the ones that line up best with the position you are applying for. This means you will need to rejig your resume to best suit each different position, however it will pay off in the end. As you resume will then be tailored to each position and will reflect your abilities in a more positive light.
Kylie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Viddy in Cincinnati, Ohio

29 months ago

I have also been managing a small business. I was very general about what I did in the business but made sure to hi-light my measurable achievements. I have visited two resume professionals and they both have said this is the best way to position your small business experience (haven't gotten any callbacks for good jobs yet, so this is just based on advice and not proven results). I am looking for sales and/or project management jobs and this is how I put it:

Proprietor, Business Name. July 2008 - present

Responsible for every aspect of the business process, from research and sales to bookkeeping and follow-up support. Started from the ground up; within a year the business was able to support employees and went from two to 27 clients.

Accomplishments

Sales
• Grew customer base from 2 clients to 37.
• Sought out connected professionals and found advocates.
• Found niche and grew within that niche.
Project Management
• Completed ten projects within two years.
• Managed two employees and six contractors.
Recognitions
• BBB Accredited Business.
• BizWomen Cabinet Member.
• Featured in Business Courier

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.