I have also been managing a small business. I was very general about what I did in the business but made sure to hi-light my measurable achievements. I have visited two resume professionals and they both have said this is the best way to position your small business experience (haven't gotten any callbacks for good jobs yet, so this is just based on advice and not proven results). I am looking for sales and/or project management jobs and this is how I put it:
Proprietor, Business Name. July 2008 - present
Responsible for every aspect of the business process, from research and sales to bookkeeping and follow-up support. Started from the ground up; within a year the business was able to support employees and went from two to 27 clients.
• Grew customer base from 2 clients to 37.
• Sought out connected professionals and found advocates.
• Found niche and grew within that niche.
• Completed ten projects within two years.
• Managed two employees and six contractors.
• BBB Accredited Business.
• BizWomen Cabinet Member.
• Featured in Business Courier