Resume Structuring

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

cdisalv in Largo, Florida

26 months ago

I have worked as a mechanical engineer for just under 30 years. I first took a contract assignment about 8 years into my career after working as a permanent employee up to that point. Since then, I have frequently encountered employers and recruiters who assume that I can only be interested in temporary work due to the fact that I have worked contract jobs in the past. My current intention is finding permanent long term work. I am seeking advice on what structure and verbiage can be used on the resume to gain responses from employers looking for a permanent hire. Any feedback on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

26 months ago

Recruiters are often used to find contract workers, so it may just be coincidence.

As for structure, put your qualifications at the top (no more than three lines) followed by skills, then work history, followed by education (including licenses and certification).

Emphasize accomplishments versus passive duties.

cdisalv in Largo, Florida

26 months ago

Thank you, Jennifer. Your response is very appreciated. I do agree with a more streamlined resume structure as you have mentioned, and I know tailoring to the specific requirements will pose an advantage.

I know recruiters are used to working with contractors, but there is a condition here I'm interested in addressing. Often times contract work is necessary, particularly when the economy slows. But so many workers tend to be labeled as contractors due just to having worked even one or two assignments, but really have no intention of continuing on this path. I have been in a few interview situations where I have tried to explain that in spite of my contract history, I am only interested in long term permanent employment. But, due to the work history, this statement is at times not convincing. Other than just resigning to the fact that this may be a political circumstance that cannot be overcome, it would be useful to tailor the job seeking method in a manner that would surmount these kind of circumstances with employers.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.