Starting out...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Host

How did you get your start doing accountant work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Emily Boston in Arlington, Massachusetts

92 months ago

You need a B.A. Business Administration with an Accounting concentration (following the accounting track instead of management). I signed up with Accountemps to find a temp to perm job, letting them know I wanted a permanent position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

vuyokazi in Pretoria, South Africa

91 months ago

yes please.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

vuyokazi in Parow, South Africa

91 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing accountant work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

yes

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MELISSA in Statesboro, Georgia

88 months ago

I ATTENDING AND GRADUATED AT OGEECHEE TECH COLLEGE, BACK IN 2000. I HAVE HAD A JOB ALL THESE YEARS, BUT NOT WHAT I GRADUATED FOR WHICH IS ACCOUNTING. NOW THAT I THINK I HAVE REACHED MY GOAL HERE AT MY FORMAL JOB. I WANT TO PURSUE THE KNOWLEDGE THAT I RECIEVED. I LOVE ACCOUNTING. I GUESS YOU WOULD SAY ITS MY PASSION. SHOULD I JUST GO ON AND TAKE THE CPS TEST? ANY ANSWERS WOULD BE HELPFUL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Job Search Dolphin in Tampa, Florida

88 months ago

Guide

MELISSA in Statesboro, Georgia said: I ATTENDING AND GRADUATED AT OGEECHEE TECH COLLEGE, BACK IN 2000. I HAVE HAD A JOB ALL THESE YEARS, BUT NOT WHAT I GRADUATED FOR WHICH IS ACCOUNTING. NOW THAT I THINK I HAVE REACHED MY GOAL HERE AT MY FORMAL JOB. I WANT TO PURSUE THE KNOWLEDGE THAT I RECIEVED. I LOVE ACCOUNTING. I GUESS YOU WOULD SAY ITS MY PASSION. SHOULD I JUST GO ON AND TAKE THE CPS TEST? ANY ANSWERS WOULD BE HELPFUL.

Melissa:
I'd first find out, maybe by calling some local firms and also checking job postings, if someone w/o a bachelor's degree, but with a CPA, would be hireable as an accountant. (I don't know if you need a bachelor's degree to take the CPS.) That would at least let you know if there's a market based on what you want to do, and perhaps what you may need to do in order to get where you want to be!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Meg in Houston, Texas

88 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing accountant work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Actually, I started out in Biology. I had approx. 70 hours transferred to another university. I knew that completing my degree was crucial. It was difficult for me to obtain the income that I wanted without a specialty in something such as Pharmacy, Law, Medicine, Nursing,Acctng. During job searches, I noticed that Accountants and Accounting Assistants were in high demand. I knew that I could do it. Opportunity did not come knocking on my door, I hustled (I get teary eyed thinking about it) I could not work and go to school during the day. However,I found a great school where I attended from 6-9:30 p.m. a few days per week! I signed up with a couple of temp agencies and firmly expressed how important it was for me to begin working in Accounting. I needed to gain the experience. I was tested on Excel, Word, Typing (simple). I landed an Accounting Assistant position making $15 an hour. Next Accounting Analyst, then Accountant! Don't get me wrong, the road is challenging. I still have LOTS to learn, but it's all about survival and enjoying what you do. I recently completed my degree with a B.S. in Management Accounting concentration (1 year to complete). I was (still) on a paper chase. I can proudly say that I doubled my income in about 1 1/2. By the way, this website is great. I've received feedback, and lots of leads on various Accountant opportunities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alex in Meriden, Connecticut

88 months ago

To learn more about terrific finance and accounting opportunities within CT and Westchester, send your resume directly to alexanderwiser@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Alex

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Accountant to be in Kearney, Nebraska

77 months ago

Meg in Houston, Texas said: Actually, I started out in Biology. I had approx. 70 hours transferred to another university. I knew that completing my degree was crucial. It was difficult for me to obtain the income that I wanted without a specialty in something such as Pharmacy, Law, Medicine, Nursing,Acctng. During job searches, I noticed that Accountants and Accounting Assistants were in high demand. I knew that I could do it. Opportunity did not come knocking on my door, I hustled (I get teary eyed thinking about it) I could not work and go to school during the day. However,I found a great school where I attended from 6-9:30 p.m. a few days per week! I signed up with a couple of temp agencies and firmly expressed how important it was for me to begin working in Accounting. I needed to gain the experience. I was tested on Excel, Word, Typing (simple). I landed an Accounting Assistant position making $15 an hour. Next Accounting Analyst, then Accountant! Don't get me wrong, the road is challenging. I still have LOTS to learn, but it's all about survival and enjoying what you do. I recently completed my degree with a B.S. in Management Accounting concentration (1 year to complete). I was (still) on a paper chase. I can proudly say that I doubled my income in about 1 1/2. By the way, this website is great. I've received feedback, and lots of leads on various Accountant opportunities.

that's amazing decition. with biology background most people would prefer to choose Nursing like RN, since it is in demand and I heard u can make pretty good living.

Good job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

david in Boone, North Carolina

77 months ago

my accounting instructor who teaches the grad school told us anyone could take the CPA exams in SC and they have no residency restrictions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

macconly in Statesboro, Georgia

47 months ago

hi all, i'm going for the masters in accounting program here, at GEORGIA SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY,in statesboro , GA. there's a good possibility, that we might be settled here, its an AACSB accredited school,and if i graduate, i'll be working here in statesboro. is there anyone who graduated from this school and found acct jobs here in statesboro? if yes, how was the starting salary? (assuming u didn't complete the CPA). unlike other students, who can probably move to any place upon graduation, i'll only be able to go to GSU if we settle here, and obviously, i will only be able to work here in statesboro...........i hope you guys can understand what i'm trying to say. pls let me know if you have any useful info for me. i'll truly appreciate it.........it will be immensely helpful to know anything at all.........thanxxxx.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Daxesh Fadia in Ahmadabad, India

37 months ago

I have completed my mba with finance in 2010. but write now i have no experience my filed. i have experience marketing filed. i want my filed experience what i am doing now. pl suggestion me soon

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.