Staff Accountant with an Associates Degree

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (27)

joe in merrick in Seaford, New York

65 months ago

a nursing degree is certainly not a 2 year degree. Its a BS and a board exam which you have to pass. FYI

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

Layla in Atlanta, Georgia

65 months ago

joe in merrick in Seaford, New York said: a nursing degree is certainly not a 2 year degree. Its a BS and a board exam which you have to pass. FYI

There are two types of registered nursing degrees:

Associates (2 years)
Bachelors

So yes, a person can become a registered nurse with a 2 year degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Katie Rae in San Diego, California

63 months ago

Greg in Malvern, Arkansas said: I'm just curious, is it possible to get a Staff Accounting job with just an Associate's in Applied Science Accounting? I'm not sure if thats the correct title or if its Junior Staff Accountant. Either way I'm interested in going into a career working as an Accountant for a company of some sort and I wasn't sure if most companies just overlook Associates applicants or not. Thanks for any advice.

It used to be that you could get a decent job with just an Associates or even no degree and work you way up. Not any longer. And even with a degree, employers are very picky now. They want this, this and that, and if you don't have it, forget it. Also, they want younger people now. I just talked to a recruiter after seeing a job advertised that I would be perfect for. Guess what? They are looking for someone with only 2 - 3 years experience. That's how companies are getting away with discrimination now. I'm 54, have my degree in Accounting (3.7 GPA)plenty of experience and can't find a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jen in Saint Paul, Minnesota

63 months ago

Katie Rae in San Diego, California said: It used to be that you could get a decent job with just an Associates or even no degree and work you way up. Not any longer. And even with a degree, employers are very picky now. They want this, this and that, and if you don't have it, forget it. Also, they want younger people now. I just talked to a recruiter after seeing a job advertised that I would be perfect for. Guess what? They are looking for someone with only 2 - 3 years experience. That's how companies are getting away with discrimination now. I'm 54, have my degree in Accounting (3.7 GPA)plenty of experience and can't find a job.

I agree with you. I am in the same boat as you. Right now I got a parttime job as a bookkeeper.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lori in Milliken, Colorado

63 months ago

I have an Associates degree and have been working well above that level for well over a decade. It is VERY rough, but can be done. I can get Staff Accountant positions, but only if I can get past HR. That's the worst part. I know that as long as I can talk to a real person, they usually hire me because I have experience in just about every area of Accounting. It took me close to a decade to get the better recruiting firms to even return my calls, but eventually they did, and it was worth it!

Here's my latest "catch-22". My office neightbor just got her CPA, (I helped her pass her final section), but has very little experience. I have an Associates, but TONS of experience. So we end up in the same market and in the same jobs.

As of today, I am back in the market, and it looks bleak. I have a fledgling home accounting business with no clients! I have always thought that if I could get my best resource (my knowledge base) to work for me, I will never have to be at the mercy of the job again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ap in Durham, North Carolina

60 months ago

You can get a two year degree in nursing in Texas, because there is a nursing shortage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ebonymonica in Virginia Beach, Virginia

58 months ago

About the nursing degree, majority of Registered Nurses have a 2 year degree. And all of Practical Nurses dont have a degree they have a diploma, which is obtained in 1 yr or 1 year and a half.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

work4u in Portsmouth, New Hampshire

56 months ago

Lori in Milliken, Colorado said: I have an Associates degree and have been working well above that level for well over a decade. It is VERY rough, but can be done.

Very similiar for me. I agree & can relate with many posts above. These days it's not what you know but who you know to get past the glass ceiling of degrees. I was 10+ years into accounting jobs until I even got my assoc. accounting degree going to school nights just to have the paper backup. It was the most concentrated in acccounting courses I could find. Thank goodness I did that bc I believe it would be even harder. Unfortunately my jobs require so much responsibility that there is no energy left to continue schooling. I already burnt myself out once & all it did was help me to maintain the wage I got 20 yrs ago.

The companies that will hire someone with assoc degree or less, would be a growing small company that requires someone with real world experience to help them. Problem is in those situations there is no growth opportunity for you. You may get into a bigger company if you are young enough, and they may give you opportunities in schooling but they are far between now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ebonymonica

55 months ago

joe in merrick in Seaford, New York said: a nursing degree is certainly not a 2 year degree. Its a BS and a board exam which you have to pass. FYI

Many nurses including two of my Aunts have a 2 yr degree in nursing. There is a 2 yr and a 4 yr degree for nursing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Thao Nguyen in Houston, Texas

55 months ago

I have a B.A. in accounting without experience, can anybody show me how to get the experience in accounting since nobody want to give me a chance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No Reply - Report abuse

work4u in Portsmouth, New Hampshire

55 months ago

Thao Nguyen in Houston, Texas said: I have a B.A. in accounting without experience, can anybody show me how to get the experience in accounting since nobody want to give me a chance.

CPA firms are always looking for recent grads. they usually will have you doing a lot of the basic accounting. Because most don't pay well unless you are a partner, look at it as a short term opportunity to gain experience.

Other possibilities is go to job fairs in your area. Most large companies give opportunities for recent grads.

You have to understand that if a company doesn't have a large budget or staff, they most likely will need someone with experience bc there is no one to train you so they need someone who knows what they are doing. Seek out opportunities that are not solo positions. Hope this helps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anthony Schmidt in Canandaigua, New York

40 months ago

Bean Counter NY in Fairport, New York said: I have a 2 year Associates in Business Administration and am a Staff Accountant for an Engineering firm. I also get paid very well. Upstate NY is a good place to work and find Staff Accountant positions.
You have to really hang in there. Sometimes even though the degree looks good and you have worked hard to obtain it, I am finding many firms now prefer someone with hands on experience and only a general accounting background.

Where in upstate NY do you live? I live in Canandaigua with 4 years of Accounting experience and haven't landed anything. I'm close to my BA in Accounting from SUNY Oswego and I believe I have to go beyond the Bachelors and look at getting an MBA to land again. The economy has been very stagnant and alot of jobs in the Financial Sector have been lost.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

shawn.com in Las Vegas, Nevada

39 months ago

That is not true you do not need a BS to become a nurse. Do your research before you open your mouth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

CollegeComplete in Sea Cliff, New York

36 months ago

Before making the decision about where to get your degree, make sure that you know all the facts and information possible. www.collegecomplete.com provides advice at no cost through your personally assigned Education Advocate. Call them today at no cost

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

lydia in Phoenix, Arizona

35 months ago

You don't need a BS to become a nurse. However, the nursing program itself (in most accredited colleges) is 2 years long, and 4 blocks. HOWEVER, you have to take approximately a year and a half to two years worth of prerequisites to qualify for the nursing program. The minimum amount of time you will be in school, and only if you work your butt off, is 3 years. If you do a full-time schedule and work 'leisurely' it is more likely you will be in school for FOUR years to get a TWO year registered nursing degree.

Not only that, but the intensive nature of most nursing programs (being in classes and then going to separate clinicals, 12 hours shifts) makes me recommend that you do not go into nursing school unless being a nurse is something you really want to do. Unlike an accountant, you will be working many holidays, weekends, you will probably start working night shifts, be on call when you are not at work - and if you work in a typical hospital environment (which most nurses do for the first 2-3 years of their career for experience) you will be pulling 12 hour shifts.

Both of my parents are RNs and I am in the nursing program, so that is how I know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Monee2514 in Bronx, New York

33 months ago

FYI? Your clearly uneducated in terms of nursing education! Nursing consists of several degree options ranging from 1 yr lpn to associate degree as well as BSN and higher. More commonly nursing associate degree programs are offered at community colleges. In which your still required to take the Pax-RN (entrance exam), as well as the NCLEX (state boards). Know your info before you give poor advice.

There is a big recession for the nursing field as well. Even with a BSN in nursing its nearly impossible landing a job as a recent grad in the NYC area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Neo in Dallas, Texas

29 months ago

If you have just an associates in accounting with zero experience, than it will be difficult. But of course an associates degree in accounting with experience can work. I am a senior staff accountant for a fortune 500 company making over 65k per year and only have an associates in accounting with 5 years of experience. One key advise would be to become an excel power user and review accounting principles that you learned in accounting principles 1 and 2. ;) best of luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Metter, Georgia

27 months ago

I am almost finished with getting my Associate's Degree in Accounting as well. The comments on here are not excactly what I wanted to hear, but they are very helpful. It is always better to know how it really is. I hope I can find an entry level job in accounting in this small town that at least pays better than where I am now and I will continue on to a bachelor's degree and further, while gaining experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Clou in Novi, Michigan

27 months ago

Okay, so an AA in accounting or as a RN more likely land employment? I am trying to learn more about accounting and computer aa degrees. I know little about nursing (an nurse aid here) and read ALOT about it but i have no idea what the job market is out there for these fields. What do you recommend in the next two to five years for these fields? I am almost 30 and have a family to support, so income earning and job employment definitely a factor for me here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

YK in Columbia, Maryland

27 months ago

Can someone help me? I have a degree in Accounting back in my home country Cameroon before coming here like one year ago.I am currently enrolled for a second bachelors degree program( have actually attended one semester) because I didn't have enough credit hours to sit for the CPA exams. But lately,it just hit me that I may be taking the wrong career by trying to become a CPA. When I was growing up, my interest was more in the medical or health care field but couldn't pull through because of limited resources back in my home country. I know I can still get into the medical field(Registered nurse in view of Nurse practitioner) now but I am hesitating because I keep thinking about the time it will take for me to switch into something completely new. I am currently 26.Should I continue with my second degree to take the CPA OR should I switch to the Accelerated Associate degree in Nursing? Decisions... decisions...please advise me...Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

BlueN in Brooklyn, New York

26 months ago

I have Associate degree in Accounting and Computer, as well as some Accounting certificates and Data Entry certificate, and graduated with honor. But it seems like it's not really helpful when it comes to job hunting. It doesn't attract potential employers at all. I am bilingual and I mentioned it on my resume.. still not strong enough to catch their eyes... What am I missing here? Any suggestions are helpful, thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

CHELINH in San Diego, California

15 months ago

deansuraci in Cornwall, New York said: You will be able to just get an account receivable/payable type job and the pay will be alot less than a person obtaining a 4 yr Accounting degree and becoming a Staff Accountant . They will overlook you and the Associate degree is my answer. You need the Bachelors.

Years ago there were people who had no college degree and started working at the bottom of a company (mailroom). Twenty-five years later they were the Chief Financial Officer at the company. Those years are over. Good Luck.

EVEN WITH A BACHELOR, YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO OBTAIN AN STAFF ACCOUNTANT ROLE WITHOUT 2-5 YEARS OF PRIVATE ACCOUNTING EXPERIENCE. A MASTER HELPS TO SOME EXTEND. A YEAR OR TWO IN PUBLIC ACCOUNTING IS A SHOOT-IN FOR THIS ROLE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CHELINH in San Diego, California

15 months ago

BlueN in Brooklyn, New York said: I have Associate degree in Accounting and Computer , as well as some Accounting certificates and Data Entry certificate, and graduated with honor. But it seems like it's not really helpful when it comes to job hunting. It doesn't attract potential employers at all. I am bilingual and I mentioned it on my resume.. still not strong enough to catch their eyes... What am I missing here? Any suggestions are helpful, thanks!

>> you'll get calls for entry-level accounting/bookkeeping jobs, i.e. a/p, a/r, and payroll (yawnny jobs.) It will be years to the staff accountant role. Companies want public accounting experience nowadays.

JM in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

15 months ago

In my program, if you do full-time out of high school and took science courses, it is just two years. If you do part-time, it's three to four years. I'm managing to do it in three years part-time, including summers, and I had a few classes that transferred from when I went to college previously. Our clinicals except the last rotation where we don't have classes are 8 hour shifts.

Not all nurses work holidays. Hospital nurses certainly do. But there are a lot of other places nurses can work, including medexpress-type places, insurance companies handling claims, etc. Contract fill-in nurses often have stipulations they don't work holidays, either. RNs are rarely on-call. Not all hospitals have twelve-hour shifts--I know some hospital units who have their nurses do eight-hours.

JM in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

15 months ago

You'll want to check your specific area, but in general, the RN degree is going to land you a job much faster and pay you a lot more. There's a nursing shortage in most (not all) areas, and nurses tend to start at around $20-25 an hour or more depending on your area.

Clou in Novi, Michigan said: Okay, so an AA in accounting or as a RN more likely land employment? I am trying to learn more about accounting and computer aa degrees. I know little about nursing (an nurse aid here) and read ALOT about it but i have no idea what the job market is out there for these fields. What do you recommend in the next two to five years for these fields? I am almost 30 and have a family to support, so income earning and job employment definitely a factor for me here.

Mary in Brooklyn, New York

12 months ago

Hi. Can anybody advices me. I will finish my Associate`s degree in Accounting, just a semester from now. I have no experience in Accounting or any other field, and I need to be attractive to employers, especially; that I am going to earn Bachalor`s degree then CPA of my state and maybe a Master`s. But, I need an urgent employment because I have a financial hardship, and I need money to complete my studies. Beside, earning a field experience. What would you suggest me to do. THanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

The Finance Writer in Georgetown, Texas

12 months ago

The job market for accounting is hot mostly for recent grads who are CPA candidates. Large accounting firms want fresh graduates who they can work excessively. Corporations want lower cost non-CPA employees for their finance staffs. However, smaller local accounting practices have difficulty filling staff accounting jobs. Most of these entities focus on tax, but also handle general accounting. You'll gain experience and earn good money for your future education costs. If you don’t have any work history in tax preparation, local accounting practices will hire people with no experience as long as they have some proven skills.

You can develop tax expertise by studying for the Enrolled Agent exam. Passing the EA exam is much easier than the CPA exam. However, you need a course that focuses on more tax subjects than CPA study. Take the course at fastforwardacademy.com/enrolled-agent-exam-prep.htm and you'll have all the knowledge needed for preparing every type of tax return. A small accounting practice will then train you with software and file documentation procedures.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.