Accountant with no practical experience

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Michael James in Tempe, Arizona

52 months ago

The current market is totally worthless, I have been trying for two years to get a job and have had no success owing to having now experience. Gotten some experience doing tax prepartion made no difference in employability.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (70) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Molly in Tucson, Arizona

44 months ago

You're not the only one. I hate the feeling that you go to school for a better career but no one tells you that you also need experience upon graduating to get a job. I feel cheated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No Reply - Report abuse

harperpegg in Waterford, Michigan

33 months ago

Thao Nguyen in Houston, Texas said: I have a B.A. in accounting without experience, can anybody show me how to get the experience in accounting since nobody want to give me a chance.

I have been in Accounting for over 30 years and I gained my experience taking Bookkeeper positions back in the 60's and 70's. I worked for CPA firms as a B ookkeeper and worked my way up to Junior Accountant then to Staff Accountant. That is the only real way that I know of getting the accounting experience to become a CPA you have to work under one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Peggy Ann Harper in Pontiac, Michigan

33 months ago

I possess over thirty years of Accounting and I have worked for various CPAs in my time. I went back to school at age 50 to get my Bachelor's of Business Administration Degree with a minor in Accounting. I now wish I had two majors Accounting being my second major.

I gained my experience from working as a Bookkeeper over the years for medium size companies like construction companies then to manufacturing companies like Continental Can Company, Wyandotte Drum Company, then I worked in Accounting for the Big 4 on contracts. Most of my real Accountant type experience came from working for CPAs wherein I worked my way up from Bookkeeper to Full-Charge Bookkeeper to Junior Accountant to Staff Accountant to Project Manager.

You must work under a CPA to gain that kind of experience.
I had a couple serious car accidents and while in school my only child was near death in a comma. My grade point average dropped to 2.76 and I can't get hired now that I am 61; but I don't give up. I am thinking now of starting up my own Accounting / Bookkeeping Service. There are jobs out there for working for CPAs but you have to humble yourself and work under their direction and up to that level you don't just graduate and end up an Accountant without not working under a CPA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nkrumah79@yahoo.com in London, United Kingdom

21 months ago

Michael James in Tempe, Arizona said: The current market is totally worthless, I have been trying for two years to get a job and have had no success owing to having now experience. Gotten some experience doing tax prepartion made no difference in employability.

ok, so what sould i do next, am now in the united kingdom
i work in the army but would like to sign off any moment for now

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Colleen in De Pere, Wisconsin

13 months ago

Work for a temporary/staffing agency, some specialize in certain fields so do your research. Only accept assignments that are in the field experience in. Its a good place to start and you will be paid. These assignments may lead to be hired as a "regular" through the company. Some companies use temporary agencies to "feed" them good qualified people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jandksmith in Cornelia, Georgia

8 months ago

harperpegg in Waterford, Michigan said: I have been in Accounting for over 30 years and I gained my experience taking Bookkeeper positions back in the 60's and 70's. I worked for CPA firms as a B ookkeeper and worked my way up to Junior Accountant then to Staff Accountant. That is the only real way that I know of getting the accounting experience to become a CPA you have to work under one.

Interested in starting a new career in accounting and I have 18 years of financial services experience but in the securities/investments/trust accounting field. How do you even get a bookkeeper job without an accounting degree or GAAP experience?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

The Finance Writer in Georgetown, Texas

8 months ago

I worked in the investment business and in a trust department until making a career change to accounting when I was in my 40s. Here's how I did it.

Smaller local accounting practices have difficulty filling staff positions. These organizations focus on tax, but also handle general accounting. They will hire people with no experience as long as they have some proven skills. You can develop tax expertise by studying for the Enrolled Agent exam. The testing is not difficult with a good study course. The one at fastforwardacademy.com/enrolled-agent-exam-prep.htm gives you all the knowledge needed for preparing every type of tax return. A small accounting practice will then train you with software and file documentation procedures. You can review sample exam questions for free at this website.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

College Investment opportunity cost in North Hills, California

2 months ago

The market after 2008 for Accountants and everyone else looking for a job is completely different. I graduated in Accounting in 2013 and I would love to be given an opportunity to work as a bookkeeper or even an accounts receivable clerk. I would love the opportunity to even be given the chance to work as an office clerk. I am still trying to discover where "Entry Level" or the bottom is even at. I have applied to internships but I was passed up because I didn't have enough work experience. College recruiting is a joke. A list is given out for most firms at the fall recruiting events and 200 plus names are put on the list for three positions. If you don't make it to one of the three positions it is hell getting a job. My Accounting GPA is a 3.1. I think the key is to find a small hole in the wall mom and pop shop and be willing to first answer telephones and use a computer for free. It is ridiculous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

hedges in Derby, United Kingdom

2 months ago

If your in the UK check out www.graduateaccountancyandfinanceshow.co.uk/ - some good finance and accountancy opportunities to get yourself on the ladder. Dont know if the similar happens in the US?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.