Is pursuing a BS in Accounting worth it at age 29 if you don't have experience?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

MarissaH8637 in Clinton Township, Michigan

43 months ago

I am interested in pursuing a BS in accounting as I already have a BA in psych and there wouldn't be a ton of classes to go through since it's the same school and the format is basically the same for the first two years and most junior/senior electives. I would be looking at 42 credit hours total, which I would be able to complete in a year and a half with the schedule I have now if I go straight through. My concern is what I've been reading on this forum. A lot of people seem very bitter and upset because they put in all of the work, time, and effort only to be unemployed (which I completely understand). I hear people saying that if you are past 30 (others say 25) a lot of places- especially the Big 4- aren't going to look at you no matter what your grades are. That really worries me. I'm confused because everyone I talk to says accounting is a great field- the pay is good, the work is steady, etc. Out of all of my friends and family that are accountants everyone is employed and doing well (granted they started their careers before the economy tanked). I am willing to relocate if that's what it's going to take to get my foot in the door. But like I said, I'm really worried. And starting to wonder if I should just avoid this field altogether, seeing that the market doesn't seem to be adding enough jobs from the looks of things on this site.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beverly in Alpharetta, Georgia

43 months ago

I finished my accounting degree at 33. After my Sophmore year, I took one year off to take a low paying A/R clerk position(however, my responsiblities grew quickly). After graduation, I was able to find work pretty quickly in Atlanta doing payroll / billing for a mid-sized company with my minimal accounting experience and resaurant experience. Although the job market is tough, I think without experience, accounting is much easier than psychology to find a job in.

Do you have any work experience? If so, which degree does it most closely match. Consider that you may be able to use it on your entry level resume.

There is nothing to preclude you from working on your accounting degree while applying to psychology jobs. If you can't find a job in psych then you'll still be on your way with accounting.

Also, I found it very easy to use my last two years of college to demonstrate some limited leadership skills. At the college you pretty much just had to volunteer to do it to become president of the Accounting Association. You can also gain experience by working with volunteer tax assistance programs.

Best of luck. All jobs are hard to come by but an accounting degree is well respected. You might also consider getting a masters. Just seek out any internship oportunities - in particularly the new internship program for recent college grads with the Federal government. I think it will be called pathways or somthing similar.

I have seen an increase in private sector job postings. However, this is coming up on tax season.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beverly in Alpharetta, Georgia

43 months ago

please overlook all my typos - it is getting late

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.