Is pursuing a BS in Accounting worth it at age 29 if you don't have experience?

Comments (2)

MarissaH8637 in Clinton Township, Michigan

53 months ago

I am interested in pursuing a BS in accounting as I already have a BA in psych and there wouldn't be a ton of classes to go through since it's the same school and the format is basically the same for the first two years and most junior/senior electives. I would be looking at 42 credit hours total, which I would be able to complete in a year and a half with the schedule I have now if I go straight through. My concern is what I've been reading on this forum. A lot of people seem very bitter and upset because they put in all of the work, time, and effort only to be unemployed (which I completely understand). I hear people saying that if you are past 30 (others say 25) a lot of places- especially the Big 4- aren't going to look at you no matter what your grades are. That really worries me. I'm confused because everyone I talk to says accounting is a great field- the pay is good, the work is steady, etc. Out of all of my friends and family that are accountants everyone is employed and doing well (granted they started their careers before the economy tanked). I am willing to relocate if that's what it's going to take to get my foot in the door. But like I said, I'm really worried. And starting to wonder if I should just avoid this field altogether, seeing that the market doesn't seem to be adding enough jobs from the looks of things on this site.

Beverly in Alpharetta, Georgia

53 months ago

please overlook all my typos - it is getting late

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.