Nonprofit Accounting

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Curious about Accounting Careers in Cincinnati, Ohio

44 months ago

Hello. Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I am considering a second career in accounting but would like to take a more unusual path within the field. I am primarily interested in nonprofit accounting and would like to know if anyone has tips for getting into this side of accounting. Is becoming a CPA or CMA important in the nonprofit world if I am interested in a position like staff accountant? I have no interest in doing the Big 4 career path. If any of you out there have nonprofit accounting experience, I would be very interested in hearing your take on that career path. Thank you again for reading my post.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Miss Cat from NYC in Franklin Square, New York

43 months ago

Curious about Accounting Careers in Cincinnati, Ohio said: Hello. Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I am considering a second career in accounting but would like to take a more unusual path within the field. I am primarily interested in nonprofit accounting and would like to know if anyone has tips for getting into this side of accounting. Is becoming a CPA or CMA important in the nonprofit world if I am interested in a position like staff accountant? I have no interest in doing the Big 4 career path. If any of you out there have nonprofit accounting experience, I would be very interested in hearing your take on that career path. Thank you again for reading my post.

Before I lost my job I was a staff acccountant at a non-profit firm. It is totally different from what you learnt in school. In fact the college I went to for my degree only focused on Fund Accounting for 2 weeks. As a result, I had to learn everything on the job. The biggest different to me is keeping every account whether unrestricted, restricted, endowment funds, or government grants separately vs. in a regular account where all accounts are joined together to determine whether or not the company has made a profit or not. Your job would be to keep track of these accounts and making sure you apply the appropriate donor's funds to the right account.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Miss Cat from NYC in Franklin Square, New York

43 months ago

No I don't think you need a CPA license in fund accounting. CPA is mostly dealing with auditors and to achieve the license will require working in a public accouting firm for 2 years plus of course passing the test which has nothing to do with non profit firms.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

me in Wilmington, North Carolina

30 months ago

Curious about Accounting Careers in Cincinnati, Ohio said: Hello. Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I am considering a second career in accounting but would like to take a more unusual path within the field. I am primarily interested in nonprofit accounting and would like to know if anyone has tips for getting into this side of accounting. Is becoming a CPA or CMA important in the nonprofit world if I am interested in a position like staff accountant ? I have no interest in doing the Big 4 career path. If any of you out there have nonprofit accounting experience, I would be very interested in hearing your take on that career path. Thank you again for reading my post.

Hi, I don't recommend for not for profit accounting career. It is very tidious. You have to do extra work and get the same with the rest of the accountants. You have to report to multiple grantors. You must be ready for auditors multiple times a year. And the work never appreciated. Go to corporate accounting learn your steps. Pay attention to detail, and you don't have to be a CPA to be a staff accountant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.