Should I go for a Master's in Accounting even though I have an MBA?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

PBnJ in Redondo Beach, California

37 months ago

Hi people,

Just need some advice and suggestions on how I should approach my accounting future. I finished my MBA - Accounting from Keller (Graduate division of Devry) about 2 years ago. I have a really good GPA (3.7), and I have some years of experience of accounting in private industries under my belt (3 years of being staff accountant). I really want to get into public accounting, and I have tried and tried to breakthrough with no avail. Networking and job assistance at Keller/DeVry is a joke... I sometimes regret going there...

As for the CPA exam, I am working on them right now. None passed so far, but I am really aiming for finishing it by the end of this year.

Something that piqued my interest recently is that CSUN is offering a Master's in Accounting program this fall, and with a 7/31st deadline, I can still get into it right now if I wanted to.

My question is, should I go back and get another master's for the whole chance of getting networking and interning opportunities? It feels like it might be a waste of a $20000, to $30000 just for that... but then again, I spent $50000 at Keller/DeVry for hopes of getting into public accounting with no result...

Does anyone have advice on how I can get my foot in the door into public accounting?

Any feedback will be appreciated!

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dennis Chow in Anonymous Proxy

37 months ago

Make a list of big name company in public accounting field.
Find out some contacts from these companies. From facebook, google, linkedin. Try everything to build relationship with those guys.

Imaging you are the hiring manager, what kind of people will you hired?
Know your strength and weakness in this field.
What can you provide for the employer?
How do you add values to them?

Finally, make something different with the other job seekers.

Good luck!

--------------------------------------------------
Indeed Job Box - Extension Make Job Search Easier.

Some Guy in Eugene, Oregon

36 months ago

Campus recruiting is kind of the model used by public accounting firms to find entry-level personnel. I don't think that the Keller system benefited you in this regard, as the larger firms recruit from schools which are perceived to be 'more prestigious.' I honestly think that pursing the MAcc will be a waste of money at this point assuming that you have the requisite knowledge base and credits to sit for the CPA exam. Your best chance of finding a PA job in the short term will be to focus on 'regional' or 'local' firms.

The fall recruiting season starts in about a month or two for accounting firms. The interview process typically concludes around October. Forget the Big 4 and other national firms for now. They are out of reach until you get some PA experience. Your best bet will be firms with less than $100M of revenues.

Search online for accounting today top 100 firms for 2010 (i can't paste link here for some reason). In particular there is a nice 25 page report which breaks down firms by region. Do some research on the respective firms online, contact them about recruiting, and try to get your resume in front of someone in the next couple of months. Maybe some of them will have immediate need for staff accountants. Good luck.

MAccDaddy in Everett, Washington

34 months ago

Some Guy in Eugene, Oregon said: Campus recruiting is kind of the model used by public accounting firms to find entry-level personnel. I don't think that the Keller system benefited you in this regard, as the larger firms recruit from schools which are perceived to be 'more prestigious.' I honestly think that pursing the MAcc will be a waste of money at this point assuming that you have the requisite knowledge base and credits to sit for the CPA exam. Your best chance of finding a PA job in the short term will be to focus on 'regional' or 'local' firms.

The fall recruiting season starts in about a month or two for accounting firms. The interview process typically concludes around October. Forget the Big 4 and other national firms for now. They are out of reach until you get some PA experience. Your best bet will be firms with less than $100M of revenues.

Search online for accounting today top 100 firms for 2010 (i can't paste link here for some reason). In particular there is a nice 25 page report which breaks down firms by region. Do some research on the respective firms online, contact them about recruiting, and try to get your resume in front of someone in the next couple of months. Maybe some of them will have immediate need for staff accountants. Good luck.

Some Guy's advice is good. The Big-4 do the bulk of their recruiting through major feeder schools with good programs. Most Big-4 offers are extended to students in these programs before they even finish up college.

Funny that you have an MBA and want to get a MAcc now. I have a MAcc, but sometimes want to get an MBA. Grass is always greener... :)

I agree that you should focus on the local or regional CPA firms, starting with the biggest and most reputable of them within your region. I worked at E&Y, and there were a few people in my office that came over from other regional firms, so that's always a possible "in" once you have experience.

Joey-Bird in Merrick, New York

30 months ago

Devry is a joke. Big4 wouldn't recruit from low tier like that, unless you are the valedictorian. Everyone from Keller gets a 3.7+? Your best chance is to pass the CPA and get a license.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.