is accounting good for introverts?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

MCBAK in Bakersfield, California

34 months ago

From what I have seen in the recent advertisements and recruiting events, accounting is very big on extroversion. It appears to me that they are so interested in extroversion that an extremely extroverted individual with a 2.5 GPA would be easily hired over an introvert with a 3.7 GPA. Recruiting is basically an extroversion contest. If you are going to pursue a career in accounting, join as many clubs as possible, meet as many people as possible, build your social-media network, run for the president of everything, get internships (plural) and compete in as many business competitions as possible. Since accounting is more about who you know than what you know, it is very important to network to even get started in accounting.

I graduated with BS in Business Administration-Accounting with above a 3.0 GPA, was active in clubs, and gained volunteer experience; No job yet. For someone with your personality and educational ability, I would recommend engineering. This is the same advice I gave to my nephew and several cousins, and it is also the advice I wish someone had given me when I was starting college. It is great that you are doing you research before committing to a career in accounting. Also, the qualification for the CPA continues to increase while the GPA necessary to be hired into a CPA firm steadily increases due to the excessive amount of accounting grads. Continue to do your research. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Janeta in Phoenix, Arizona

34 months ago

Visit this website www.cpanet.com/cpa_forum as this will provide you an insight in Accounting field. I'm in accounting field and I wish I took Nursing. Also visit department of labor regarding career trends. Healthcare and engineering are promising career. Also borrow books from the library as there are numerous scholarship for engineering. You may qualify for a full scholarship(you mention your poor)from these companies. So many funding never utilize. Try Honeywell, Lockheed Martin, Dr. Pepper, McDonald, etc. Borrow books from the library for they have all tools and resources that will guide you. Also, have you talk to your school guidance counselor? Start from there, am sure there will be someone that will help you out. Good luck in your future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

David in Las Vegas, Nevada

28 months ago

20 yr acct here, with your academic credentials, go for engineering!! The $ you make as a non manager engineer is more than accting manager. Its very boring, same work everyday. Now they want party animals as accts, strange new environments. Engineers are true pros, make great $$, introverts are the norm. I really wish i had chosen engineering. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Introverted Accountant in San Francisco, California

28 months ago

It sounds like either accounting or engineering could be a good choice for you. Which one you choose really depends on which field interests you most. Extroversion and networking skills are valuable in any line of work because they help you learn about job opportunities, sell yourself in interviews, and win promotions. If you're a natural introvert, it's good to develop some extroversion skills to use on occasion. But introversion gives you a special advantage in jobs that require long periods of concentration and solitary work, such as accounting and engineering. You may never become a manager with a knack for bringing out the best in employees, but you can still make as much as a middle manager if you develop the kind of technical skills that come only from having your head deep in the numbers for years. But to devote that much of your life to a solitary pursuit, you have to really love it, so pick the field you're passionate about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Introverted Accountant in San Francisco, California

28 months ago

It sounds like either accounting or engineering could be a good choice for you. Which one you choose really depends on which field interests you most. Extroversion and networking skills are valuable in any line of work because they help you learn about job opportunities, sell yourself in interviews, and win promotions. If you're a natural introvert, it's good to develop some extroversion skills to use on occasion. But introversion gives you a special advantage in jobs that require long periods of concentration and solitary work, such as accounting and engineering. You may never become a manager with a knack for bringing out the best in employees, but you can still make as much as a middle manager if you develop the kind of technical skills that come only from having your head deep in the numbers for years. But to devote that much of your life to a solitary pursuit, you have to really love it, so pick the field you're passionate about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.