How to get hired as an accountant

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Yana in Panama City, Florida

33 months ago

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about getting a degree in Accounting. I already have a Master's in Translation from a non-US University (which is no use for me right now), and I'm not sure if any of my credits could be used towards the new degree, but that's not the biggest of my concerns right now. My biggest concern is whether it is possible to get an entry-level position with just an Associates degree or should I rather go for a more expensive Bachelor's and try to get internships and temp/part time jobs while studying? Do you think working as a seasonal tax preparer will be a useful addition to my resume in this case?

Thank you so much for your input!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Irena in Renton, Washington

33 months ago

I have MBA from non-US I paid &240.00 for course-by-course evaluation - Do the same and you'll know how much credits you'll need for Accounting degree. As far as work - with this economy I don't know- one year now I am looking for a job (and I am an Accountant in Seattle- USA for almost 5 years)and all I get in responce is there are better candidates, I am sure it has to do with my origin and the fact my education is non-US, regadless from the fact it was evaluated by US educational institution. My advise is, if you can,
go for Bachelor degree, get as many credits as you can and then take a CPA otherwise you'll be passed around and it won't matter how good of a professional you are.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

manika in Delhi, India

31 months ago

hi friend,
to be hired as an accountant in a good company you need to be good in your skills!There are many skills that make a good accountant. If you have these qualities, you will find the accounting field offers unlimited opportunities for you:

Logical thinking
Love of numbers
Strong communication skills
Analytical ability
Ability to synthesize
Solid computer skills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

kitty in Seattle, Washington

30 months ago

Irena in Renton, Washington said: I have MBA from non-US I paid &240.00 for course-by-course evaluation - Do the same and you'll know how much credits you'll need for Accounting degree. As far as work - with this economy I don't know- one year now I am looking for a job (and I am an Accountant in Seattle- USA for almost 5 years)and all I get in responce is there are better candidates, I am sure it has to do with my origin and the fact my education is non-US, regadless from the fact it was evaluated by US educational institution. My advise is, if you can,
go for Bachelor degree, get as many credits as you can and then take a CPA otherwise you'll be passed around and it won't matter how good of a professional you are.

Don't scare me i just start looking for jobs. Do you mind telling me if you have any certification beside a MBA?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Darren Sharp in London, United Kingdom

29 months ago

Because so many people have qualifications, the value of them has kind of gone out the window.

The best thing you can do instead is to get some work experience for just a few days a week. I had to do this to get into my career. Basically, I spent 3 days of the week doing a poorly paid part-time job and the other 3 days I did work experience and voluntary work for charities related to my chosen career path. Even employers like small <a href="www.sjdaccountancy.com/about/aboutus/contractor_accountant.html">contractor accountants</a> love that stuff. But most importantly, it gives you something to talk about in depth (and with passion!) at a job interview.

Hope that helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.