Becoming a tax auditor

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 219)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Reyup in Chicago, Illinois

63 months ago

I'm in my last quarter of my masters in accounting program in Chicago. My undergrad was in marketing and I worked in sales for about 7 years. My only accounting experience is tax internship during the previous tax season. I'm waiting to hear back about a full time spot where I interned, but I was told they only have 1 or 2 spots and had 20 interns, so I'm not holding my breathe.

I went through interviews last fall, but nothing came through. I would like to pursue a government tax auditor position. I live in Chicago, and want to stay in the area. I've applied with the IRS (haven't heard back), Illinois (took a test and am waiting to hear) California (one interview and never heard back, have a funny story about this too), Michigan (applied and didn't hear back), and New York.

I have my interview with New York in two weeks, and am really excited about it. Anyone out there work for NY? I'm glad I went through the CA interview, to get an idea of the types of questions I can expect. Any advice for the interview? By the way, all these jobs are in the states satellite offices in Chicago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

srp_0929 in Rensselaer, New York

63 months ago

i have a interview scheduled for next week in ny state ..pls can u share your previous interview experience and what type of question did they ask you?im being interviewd for tax auditor trainee 1 position how about you?..any inputs will be helpful..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

srp_0929 in Rensselaer, New York

63 months ago

Reyup in Chicago, Illinois said: I'm in my last quarter of my masters in accounting program in Chicago. My undergrad was in marketing and I worked in sales for about 7 years. My only accounting experience is tax internship during the previous tax season. I'm waiting to hear back about a full time spot where I interned, but I was told they only have 1 or 2 spots and had 20 interns, so I'm not holding my breathe.

I went through interviews last fall, but nothing came through. I would like to pursue a government tax auditor position. I live in Chicago, and want to stay in the area. I've applied with the IRS (haven't heard back), Illinois (took a test and am waiting to hear) California (one interview and never heard back, have a funny story about this too), Michigan (applied and didn't hear back), and New York.

I have my interview with New York in two weeks, and am really excited about it. Anyone out there work for NY? I'm glad I went through the CA interview, to get an idea of the types of questions I can expect. Any advice for the interview? By the way, all these jobs are in the states satellite offices in Chicago.

please can you share your previous interview experience and what type of question did they ask you?im being interviewd for tax auditor trainee 1 position how about you?..any inputs will be helpful..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Reyup in Chicago, Illinois

63 months ago

srp_0929 in Rensselaer, New York said: please can you share your previous interview experience and what type of question did they ask you?im being interviewd for tax auditor trainee 1 position how about you?..any inputs will be helpful..

I will post after my interview. I applied for trainee 1, but I'm hoping that since I'm finishing my masters in a few weeks and I get the job I'll go in as trainee 2.

The questions I can remember from California interview
1. How comfortable are you interpreting laws/rules?
2. If you disagree with a more senior auditor about an accounting issue, how would you handle it?
3. Why would I be a good audtior?
4. Typical working in a team question.

That's all I can remember. I'll update after my interview next week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

srp_0929 in Rensselaer, New York

63 months ago

thanks for the input..im scheduled for next week too i guess they are doing the interviews for all the places i mean ny,chicago,upstae etc in the same week..anyways thanks for sharing the info and good luck..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

srp_0929 in Rensselaer, New York

63 months ago

Reyup in Chicago, Illinois said: I'm in my last quarter of my masters in accounting program in Chicago. My undergrad was in marketing and I worked in sales for about 7 years. My only accounting experience is tax internship during the previous tax season. I'm waiting to hear back about a full time spot where I interned, but I was told they only have 1 or 2 spots and had 20 interns, so I'm not holding my breathe.

I went through interviews last fall, but nothing came through. I would like to pursue a government tax auditor position. I live in Chicago, and want to stay in the area. I've applied with the IRS (haven't heard back), Illinois (took a test and am waiting to hear) California (one interview and never heard back, have a funny story about this too), Michigan (applied and didn't hear back), and New York.

I have my interview with New York in two weeks, and am really excited about it. Anyone out there work for NY? I'm glad I went through the CA interview, to get an idea of the types of questions I can expect. Any advice for the interview? By the way, all these jobs are in the states satellite offices in Chicago.

Hey im done with the interview how about you ??just curious to known...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Reyup in Chicago, Illinois

63 months ago

srp_0929 in Rensselaer, New York said: Hey im done with the interview how about you ??just curious to known...

Mine's on Thursday. Any info you could share?

I got called for state of Florida last week. I went in today to take a test. Was kind of weird. Some basic math questions, percentages and whatnot, and then questions like "Describe internal controls" and "Briefly describe the difference between cash based and accrual based accounting"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

srp_0929 in Rensselaer, New York

63 months ago

Reyup in Chicago, Illinois said: Mine's on Thursday. Any info you could share?

I got called for state of Florida last week. I went in today to take a test. Was kind of weird. Some basic math questions, percentages and whatnot, and then questions like "Describe internal controls" and "Briefly describe the difference between cash based and accrual based accounting"[/QUOTE

They mainly asked the same question u mentioned to me last time and some behaverial quest as how would ur previous employer describe u n abt auditing the ones u mentioned me n why do u think u would be a good tax auditor n they described the position n asked me if i was comfortabe with the travel coz thats the main reqirment n how comfortabe im with it...
i did ask them when would they make a decision n they said in abt 2 weeks i have no idea abt how many vacancies they have.....btw this is in upstate ny ..
hey i have a qusetin for u did u give any exams for this position or just evaluation of ur education ...n if u dont mind what was ur score? my score is 95...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Reyup in Chicago, Illinois

63 months ago

Thanks for the info. Was it a group interview? When I set up mine they told me I think they said it would be as a group. If you think of any other questions you were asked, I'd appreciate it.

There was no test just the evaluation of the application. My score was 100, I think because I'm about to have my masters in accounting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

srp_0929 in Rensselaer, New York

63 months ago

Reyup in Chicago, Illinois said: Thanks for the info. Was it a group interview? When I set up mine they told me I think they said it would be as a group. If you think of any other questions you were asked, I'd appreciate it.

There was no test just the evaluation of the application. My score was 100, I think because I'm about to have my masters in accounting.

yes it was a group interview actually they had 2 groups...one from audit dept and the other frm HR , so thats abt it... just be prepared to answer how comfortable u r with travel.. Good luck n if possible let me know how it went.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mei in Brooklyn, New York

63 months ago

Hi I have an interview tomorrow for the NYC branch for tax auditor trainee 1 also. Can you elaborate on what you meant by 2 groups? Do you mean you get interviewed twice, once by the audit dept. and once by HR? How long did the interview last? And what exactly do you mean that travel is a main requirement? Where do you need to travel to if you get the position? Thanks for any of your help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

srp_0929 in Rensselaer, New York

63 months ago

Reyup in Chicago, Illinois said: Thanks for the info. Was it a group interview? When I set up mine they told me I think they said it would be as a group. If you think of any other questions you were asked, I'd appreciate it.

There was no test just the evaluation of the application. My score was 100, I think because I'm about to have my masters in accounting.

Hey r u done with the interview ..what did they tell you??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

srp_0929 in Rensselaer, New York

63 months ago

Mei in Brooklyn, New York said: Hi I have an interview tomorrow for the NYC branch for tax auditor trainee 1 also. Can you elaborate on what you meant by 2 groups? Do you mean you get interviewed twice, once by the audit dept. and once by HR? How long did the interview last? And what exactly do you mean that travel is a main requirement? Where do you need to travel to if you get the position? Thanks for any of your help.

hey im sorry i just saw the mssg not sure if this might help but yes 2 rounds of interview on the same day and almost the same questions but with two depts..abt travel the audit work could be in ur state or neighbouring states.....r u in upstate ny applying for upstate locations? just curious ..if possible let me know how it went.. good luck..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mei in Brooklyn, New York

63 months ago

Hi I'm from NYC so I only applied for the NYC locations. I only got interviewed once, but I had to fill out forms first. I got interviewed by 3 people and asked basic scenario questions. It went okay I guess? lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

srp_0929 in Rensselaer, New York

63 months ago

so did they tell u when they would get back to u ..they made me fill out some forms too.. just waiting for the reply ..the waiting period is really bad just want to know te answer...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

srp_0929 in Rensselaer, New York

63 months ago

Mei in Brooklyn, New York said: Hi I'm from NYC so I only applied for the NYC locations. I only got interviewed once, but I had to fill out forms first. I got interviewed by 3 people and asked basic scenario questions. It went okay I guess? lol

so did they tell u when they would get back to u ..they made me fill out some forms too.. just waiting for the reply ..the waiting period is really bad just want to know te answer...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mei in Brooklyn, New York

63 months ago

srp_0929 in Rensselaer, New York said: so did they tell u when they would get back to u ..they made me fill out some forms too.. just waiting for the reply ..the waiting period is really bad just want to know te answer...

Yeah they said they will contact me in 3-4 weeks because interviews stretch all the way till next week. I got another one tomorrow at another branch.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

chow in Woodside, New York

62 months ago

I'm wondering what are the challeges question they are going to as? I'm little worried about also. Good luck guys.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

fyi in Bronx, New York

62 months ago

The truth is that they will ask different questions to different people. I was in one interview in nyc and they did not ask any question regarding to accounting. They were more interested to know how you will work in the office and in the field with the tax payer. They some times have two sets of interviews the same day. That was my case. They basically ask the same questions. Hope this will be helpfull. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

srp_0929 in Rensselaer, New York

62 months ago

fyi in Bronx, New York said: The truth is that they will ask different questions to different people. I was in one interview in nyc and they did not ask any question regarding to accounting. They were more interested to know how you will work in the office and in the field with the tax payer. They some times have two sets of interviews the same day. That was my case. They basically ask the same questions. Hope this will be helpfull. Good luck!

was it recent and did they get back to you yet?.. does anyone know how many vacancies there are,when they conduct interview for week and a half...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Reyup in Chicago, Illinois

62 months ago

This is for the Chicago office. They said they have 7 open spots. They also told me that the positions have not been officially approved, but they were expecting them to be approved within days.

Also, I was told I'd hear back either late this week or next week. And they're hoping to have people start around June 25th.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

srp_0929 in Rensselaer, New York

62 months ago

Reyup in Chicago, Illinois said: This is for the Chicago office. They said they have 7 open spots. They also told me that the positions have not been officially approved, but they were expecting them to be approved within days.

Also, I was told I'd hear back either late this week or next week. And they're hoping to have people start around June 25th.

yes thats what they told me too ..this is for the upstate location...so hoping to hear from them soon..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

srp_0929 in Rensselaer, New York

62 months ago

if u r selected ,how do they contact you by phone first and then the offer letter ??anyone any idea???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Reyup in Chicago, Illinois

62 months ago

I asked when I'd be hearing from them when I was leaving. The woman told me the time frame, then said I'd either get a call or letter. I jokingly asked which one was the good one, and she said probably phone call.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

srp_0929 in Rensselaer, New York

62 months ago

Reyup in Chicago, Illinois said: I asked when I'd be hearing from them when I was leaving. The woman told me the time frame, then said I'd either get a call or letter. I jokingly asked which one was the good one, and she said probably phone call.

hey thanx thats what i had read somewhere ...so how was ur interview btw were they too technical or general questions ??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Reyup in Chicago, Illinois

62 months ago

I think my interview went really well. They didn't really ask many questions. Just kind of general tell us about yourself, then they asked about a few things on my resume. Didn't seem to be any formal structure to it. I'm cautiously optimistic. I have an interview with the Florida DOR on Monday, so hopefully one of these comes through.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

srp_0929 in Rensselaer, New York

62 months ago

hey thats good...im sure one or the other will definately work for u .... hey n how do u find the jobs for differnet state jobs in ur city ? is it by visiting every sate govt site or is it somethin else?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

srp_0929 in Rensselaer, New York

62 months ago

Reyup in Chicago, Illinois said: I think my interview went really well. They didn't really ask many questions. Just kind of general tell us about yourself, then they asked about a few things on my resume. Didn't seem to be any formal structure to it. I'm cautiously optimistic. I have an interview with the Florida DOR on Monday, so hopefully one of these comes through.

hey thats good...im sure one or the other will definately work for u .... hey n how do u find the jobs for differnet state jobs in ur city ? is it by visiting every sate govt site or is it somethin else?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Reyup in Chicago, Illinois

62 months ago

The first state I interviewed with was California, they had posted the job on my schools career center web site. I found the NY job while searching Indeed, and Florida on careerbuilder. And when I interviewed with NY I saw the New Jersey and Ohio both have offices in the same building, so I just searched their web sites and applied for positions with both of them. It's been pretty random how I've been finding the postings.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

srp_0929 in Rensselaer, New York

62 months ago

Anyone there waiting to hear back frm them ??will it be this week or next ?? what do u guys think???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

srp_0929 in Rensselaer, New York

62 months ago

Reyup in Chicago, Illinois said: The first state I interviewed with was California, they had posted the job on my schools career center web site. I found the NY job while searching Indeed, and Florida on careerbuilder. And when I interviewed with NY I saw the New Jersey and Ohio both have offices in the same building, so I just searched their web sites and applied for positions with both of them. It's been pretty random how I've been finding the postings.

did u hear frm them yet?? what do u think if selected will they let us known by next week?? just anxious now ....pls can u let me know if u hear frm them..i will let u known if i get a call frm them... n thanx ur inputs have been really helpful...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Reyup in Chicago, Illinois

62 months ago

Haven't heard anything yet. One person said that we'd hear either late this week or next week, another said that we probably wouldn't hear anything until next week, so I'm hoping to hear from the next week. I'm very anxious as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

needajob in New York, New York

62 months ago

has anyone heard from nys dept of tax and finance regarding the audit trainee position. I spoke to someone at nys and they confirmed that the starting date is June 25th and they will be calling canindates this week with job offers. if you do not get a call that means you were not selected and you will receive a letter in the mail with the rejection.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

srp_0929

62 months ago

needajob in New York, New York said: has anyone heard from nys dept of tax and finance regarding the audit trainee position. I spoke to someone at nys and they confirmed that the starting date is June 25th and they will be calling canindates this week with job offers. if you do not get a call that means you were not selected and you will receive a letter in the mail with the rejection.

im waiting as well havent heard anything yet very anxious now .....i had called last week n they told,to make a decision they would take atleast 2 weeks frm last friday(i.e 29th may) .so totally confussed , i was told by the interviewrs they would make a decision by 1st week of june as they would be statrting frm 25th..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

needajob in New York, New York

62 months ago

srp_0929 said: im waiting as well havent heard anything yet very anxious now .....i had called last week n they told,to make a decision they would take atleast 2 weeks frm last friday(i.e 29th may) .so totally confussed , i was told by the interviewrs they would make a decision by 1st week of june as they would be statrting frm 25th..

did you interview at different locations? i only interview at one loction.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

srp_0929

62 months ago

needajob in New York, New York said: did you interview at different locations? i only interview at one loction.

i gave only one inerview for upstate ny on monday 18t may... i read that they r suppose to let the selected candidites known within 5 days of interview so im guessing they would let the selected candidites by tomm i.e wed coz they finished with the interviews last wed so 5 working days frm then is tomm ...so lets keep our fingers crossed .....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

srp_0929

62 months ago

needajob in New York, New York said: did you interview at different locations? i only interview at one loction.

i gave only one inerview for upstate ny on monday 18t may... i read that they r suppose to let the selected candidites known within 5 days of interview so im guessing they would let the selected candidites by tomm i.e wed coz they finished with the interviews last wed so 5 working days frm then is tomm ...so lets keep our fingers crossed .....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

needajob in New York, New York

62 months ago

srp_0929 said: i gave only one inerview for upstate ny on monday 18t may... i read that they r suppose to let the selected candidites known within 5 days of interview so im guessing they would let the selected candidites by tomm i.e wed coz they finished with the interviews last wed so 5 working days frm then is tomm ...so lets keep our fingers crossed .....

Thanks for the information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

srp_0929

62 months ago

Reyup in Chicago, Illinois said: Haven't heard anything yet. One person said that we'd hear either late this week or next week, another said that we probably wouldn't hear anything until next week, so I'm hoping to hear from the next week. I'm very anxious as well.

Hey any updates?? did they get back to u yet? curious,anxious everything .....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Reyup in Chicago, Illinois

62 months ago

Haven't heard anything. I'm very anxious as well. I signed up with Accountemps today, just to get something in the meantime.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

fyi in Bronx, New York

62 months ago

Reyup in Chicago, Illinois said: Haven't heard anything. I'm very anxious as well. I signed up with Accountemps today, just to get something in the meantime.

Hello Everyone. I had another interview on last thursday on White Plains. It was just as a mention before. Total different set of questions, these were more personal about working with other people. But nothing related to Accounting. I did ask about when they will be getting back to us. Their response was about two weeks. If I hear something from them, I will keep you informed. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

needajob in New York, New York

62 months ago

fyi in Bronx, New York said: Hello Everyone. I had another interview on last thursday on White Plains. It was just as a mention before. Total different set of questions, these were more personal about working with other people. But nothing related to Accounting. I did ask about when they will be getting back to us. Their response was about two weeks. If I hear something from them, I will keep you informed. Good Luck!

were you interview by 2 groups

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

srp_0929

62 months ago

Hello Everyone ...anyone any updates??? did they get back to anyone yet??/ i will definately let u know if i hear frm them... im guessing they should let the selected candidates know by late this week...any thoughts on my guess....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

needajob in New York, New York

62 months ago

fyi in Bronx, New York said: No, only one group. In my previous interview in Brooklyn there were 2 groups.

i also interview for the brookly location. did they tell that the start date is june 25

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

fyi in Bronx, New York

62 months ago

needajob in New York, New York said: i also interview for the brookly location. did they tell that the start date is june 25

Yes, also the same day for White Plains as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

needajob in New York, New York

62 months ago

fyi in Bronx, New York said: Yes, also the same day for White Plains as well.

they told me at the brooklyn interview that they are hiring alot of people for this location. hopefully I'm one of the many

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

fyi in Bronx, New York

62 months ago

needajob in New York, New York said: they told me at the brooklyn interview that they are hiring alot of people for this location. hopefully I'm one of the many

You will be fine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

fyi in Bronx, New York

62 months ago

whe could chat if you want intead of leaving messages here. Let me know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Chi in New York, New York

62 months ago

I interviewed at the Manhattan and BK locations.

FYI do you have a chat name?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Vince in Rowland Heights, California

62 months ago

I have an interview next week for a tax auditor position in Van Nuys California for the Board of Equalization and just wanted to know if this is the position that you guys are talking about? Thanks in advance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.