Unemployed for 2 years and need some advice

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Peeoria in Deer Park, New York

57 months ago

I have been unemployed for 2 years now. I was laid off in Nov 07 at which time my father was diagnosed terminally ill so i took 4 months off to care for him til his death. Soon after, the market tumbled and i have been unable to get a job ever since despite aggressively looking. I was told by several headhunters that my "excuse" , although it was nice to care for my dad, shows lack of interest that i have not yet found a job after all this time. I was doing hedge fund accounting... and the market is picking up now... so i thought it would be easier to find something.I had 3 seperate interviews and did not get an offer, despite my "impressive credentials". Given what headhunters are telling me, should i just lie and say i travelled abroad for 2 years instead? I don't want to lie, but several HH have hinted i should. Any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

PaulN in Loveland, Ohio

57 months ago

Don't lie. I'm an accountant, and I also did recruiting for a while. Head Hunters who suggest you lie are only trying to make a quick buck off you.

If the companies you are interviewing with don't have enough compassion to understand the circumstances surrounding your family's situation, then you don't need them. The right position is out there. Keep looking and you will find it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mary in Tampa, Florida

57 months ago

I had the same situation when my mother was sick. She was sick for two years, and terminal for almost a year. This was back in 1981!!!

Just be truthful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

letsgosurfingdude in Cypress, California

47 months ago

I always see advertisements for a need for Accountants. Is the advertisements true?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

cincyFA in Cincinnati, Ohio

45 months ago

those advetised " openings" are not real. I have been looking for a job for 18 months now, I have noticed that many companies keep posting and reposting the same opening over and over again, month after month, after some break they they would re-post the " job" again. You could be applying like crazy, spending 40 minutes filling that application to just only find out 1 or 2 months later that that opening is still there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

leeanne in West Chester, Ohio

43 months ago

I have been looking over a year here in Cincy as well. I have actually had a recruiter tell me she posts these fake ads b/c things just move so fast she can't get an ad out before she's filling it. huh? I keep seeing the same ad too and never anything real. I don't know what employers want anymore! They want experience, but not too much so they don't have to pay you. I've been tempted to remove some of my education or have a story about my time off too. Just keep faithful and true and the right place will come along. That's what I am praying for and counting on!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Misswifie in Brooklyn, New York

17 months ago

Peeoria in Deer Park, New York said: I have been unemployed for 2 years now. I was laid off in Nov 07 at which time my father was diagnosed terminally ill so i took 4 months off to care for him til his death. Soon after, the market tumbled and i have been unable to get a job ever since despite aggressively looking. I was told by several headhunters that my "excuse" , although it was nice to care for my dad, shows lack of interest that i have not yet found a job after all this time. I was doing hedge fund accounting ... and the market is picking up now... so i thought it would be easier to find something.I had 3 seperate interviews and did not get an offer, despite my "impressive credentials". Given what headhunters are telling me, should i just lie and say i travelled abroad for 2 years instead? I don't want to lie, but several HH have hinted i should. Any suggestions?

Really? Sounds like a terrible market for accountants, you sound like you would be a great employee. I would say become an actuary. It sounds like a good profession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.