Master of Taxation Program Question

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (24)

rwbil in Bethesda, Maryland

74 months ago

I have always like accounting and taxes and I am thinking about getting my Master of Taxation Degree. My goal is to only work part time or during the tax season in semi-retirement. My undergraduate degree is a B.S.E.E. and have not worked in the accounting field before. My question is I know one person who works for H&R Block and he told me he only makes between $10-$14 per hour. I really do not want to go back and study for 2 years at a cost of over $25K to make $10-$14 / hour. The one bad thing about doing taxes is anybody can do them with no degree. Does anybody here know what I could expect to make if I only wanted to work part time or during the tax season with such a masters degree. I could try and get my CPA, but is there much demand for a part time person in that field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Durham, North Carolina

73 months ago

There is a big demand for part time people during the tax season. I know CPA's that make enough during 4 months of tax season that live comfortablly the rest of the year with out working. They do work 60 hours a week during the season. If you do decide to go back to school I strongly recommned getting your CPA too. This will give you a much hire wage and make it easier for you to get into a good paying firm. I know some that make $40/hr doing temporary tax work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Delphine in Raleigh, North Carolina

73 months ago

I have a BA in International Trade and a MBA. Both of them were obtained in oversea. What should I complete to be able to take CPA exams in North Carolina? Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Delphine in Raleigh, North Carolina said: I have a BA in International Trade and a MBA. Both of them were obtained in oversea. What should I complete to be able to take CPA exams in North Carolina? Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

I would contact the NCACPA. They should be able to answer any questions you have.

www.ncacpa.org/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Delphine in Raleigh, North Carolina

73 months ago

Thank you, Scott.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Amil Mehmedagic in Brisbane, Australia

73 months ago

Hi rwbil!

Don't be discouraged by what your friend at H&R Block says! I am currently completing a double degree in accounting and property at the University of QLD, Brisbane, Australia. I have worked in various jobs during my university studies, including as a tax consultant at H&R Block. Let me tell you that H&R Block pay is the "lowest" of all chartered and CPA firms out there. I am still an undergraduate, but the hourly rate I am getting now is much better than the H&R Block rate. Plus H&R Block is shift work only, whereas with chartered or CPA firms, you are working set hours. If you really want a stable, least-stressful (believe me I know) well-paying job, then go for your Taxation Masters, because there is so much demand out there! I will become a registered tax agent in Australia in a couple of years and here an agent has to be booked weeks in advance. It's only sole-traders and companies like H&R Block and ITP (Australian equivalent) that give the profession a bad image (because they let everyone prepare returns for low-fees).

Hope my comment helps! Forget about H&R Block. Make contacts with partners/directors in some local chartered/CPA firms. They might offer you the support you need to become a tax accountant/agent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

C in Albemarle, North Carolina

72 months ago

Looking to work part time for H&R block from Jan to April. What would be a reasonable amount to expect to make?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

lost in emotions in Columbus, Ohio

69 months ago

rwbil in Bethesda, Maryland said: I have always like accounting and taxes and I am thinking about getting my Master of Taxation Degree. My goal is to only work part time or during the tax season in semi-retirement. My undergraduate degree is a B.S.E.E. and have not worked in the accounting field before. My question is I know one person who works for H&R Block and he told me he only makes between $10-$14 per hour. I really do not want to go back and study for 2 years at a cost of over $25K to make $10-$14 / hour. The one bad thing about doing taxes is anybody can do them with no degree. Does anybody here know what I could expect to make if I only wanted to work part time or during the tax season with such a masters degree. I could try and get my CPA, but is there much demand for a part time person in that field.

H & R Block is not an accounting/tax firm. They prepare taxes(usually personal) and sell software. they close the doors April 16th ,,,,,,,like most of the services you see around tax time every year.

A firm would have a book of business and deal with tax issues through out the year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sam Cooke in New York, New York

66 months ago

I am 53 and done with my accounting degree and now I want to know if I go for my masters which would be a better fit for my age. A masters in Controllership or a Masters in Taxation. I will take my C.P.A. This fall, Please help all comment are welcome.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Durham

66 months ago

Sam,

Your choice should be based on your desire and preference in the career path you wish to take. Do you want to work in tax, or do you want to be more involved in financail planning and reporting. With you CPA there are plenty of job opportunities, it just depends on which type of work interests you the most.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ozman2000 in Glen Cove, New York

65 months ago

Hey guys I am getting my Masters in Tax right now but I do not have an accounting degree or any experience. My hope is to get a tax accountant job but will I be able to if I only have a Masters. Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

A_r in New York, New York

64 months ago

ozman2000 in Glen Cove, New York said: Hey guys I am getting my Masters in Tax right now but I do not have an accounting degree or any experience. My hope is to get a tax accountant job but will I be able to if I only have a Masters. Thank you

Where are u getting the MS from? I always wanted to get a masters in Taxation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Make sure your Masters program, and courses taken, will make you eligible for the CPA. Once you pass the exam and/or get that certification the job market will be much easier for you to crack.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff Kovalski in Minneapolis, Minnesota

53 months ago

Scott in Durham, North Carolina said: There is a big demand for part time people during the tax season. I know CPA's that make enough during 4 months of tax season that live comfortablly the rest of the year with out working. They do work 60 hours a week during the season. If you do decide to go back to school I strongly recommned getting your CPA too. This will give you a much hire wage and make it easier for you to get into a good paying firm. I know some that make $40/hr doing temporary tax work.

I was doing 80-90 a week this past tax season.
Jeff Kovalski, CPA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff Kovalski in Minneapolis, Minnesota

53 months ago

Sam Cooke in New York, New York said: I am 53 and done with my accounting degree and now I want to know if I go for my masters which would be a better fit for my age. A masters in Controllership or a Masters in Taxation. I will take my C.P.A. This fall, Please help all comment are welcome.

Waited til i was 30, and it was worth it. Go for it!
Jeff Kovalski, CPA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Raymond in San Gabriel, California

41 months ago

Hello,

I already passed the CPA Exam and is interested in the tax field too. How much more marketable am I if I get an MST?
Also, what do you guys think of online MST programs??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tina Parks in Clemmons, North Carolina

18 months ago

I currently work for HR Block a Franchisee. I have been working for HR Block since 2006. I make 8.00hr during tax season, commission check after tax season is over based upon what I do. I am also currently in school. I am graduating in May 2013 with an Associates degree in Accounting. I also have a bookkeeping background, small business background, and non-profit background.

I am looking to get experience in an Accounting Firm to see which way I want to go, after school. I enjoy taxes.
Do accounting firms pay the same way during tax season?
Can you recommend accounting firms to apply with?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

me in Paterson, New Jersey

17 months ago

Delphine in Raleigh, North Carolina said: I have a BA in International Trade and a MBA. Both of them were obtained in oversea. What should I complete to be able to take CPA exams in North Carolina? Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

You must have a total of 30 accounting credits regardless of how many degrees you have. you can take the classes at a community college which is cheaper and save your money for the preparation course.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

me in Paterson, New Jersey

17 months ago

ozman2000 in Glen Cove, New York said: Hey guys I am getting my Masters in Tax right now but I do not have an accounting degree or any experience. My hope is to get a tax accountant job but will I be able to if I only have a Masters. Thank you

You could take CPA with 30 accounting credits. You already a degree. ause of Sabanes Oxley laws (spell check) jobs will be available. It's a growing because of the new laws. I think CPA work better than masters for a newbie. Masters will elevate you once you have experience.

Read This in Norfolk, Virginia

10 months ago

If your passion is to do Taxes, then become an Enrolled Agent. Forget the CPA, forget the Degree. If you can learn by reading, then become an Enrolled Agent with IRS. You just take a 3-Part Exam. If you pass and you then are an Enrolled Agent with IRS and can practice before the US Court. You have CEUs like CPA but they are tax specific. So some CPA's do not do CEU's in Tax so you have an advantage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

The Finance Writer in Georgetown, Texas

9 months ago

The recent comment is precisely correct that work in the tax field does not require a CPA license. Even the readers who are already CPAs and want to focus on the tax industry are not benefited by advanced degrees like Masters in Taxation. In fact, Enrolled Agents earn just as much as CPAs on the staffs of local tax practices. These firms have plenty of positions available and cannot find qualified candidates. They prefer experienced tax pros but passing the Enrolled Agents exam is proof of tax ability -- even more so than being a CPA. Free sample EA exam questions are available at fastforwardacademy.com/enrolled-agent-exam-prep.htm for anyone who wants to consider a tax career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Maumee in Creston, Ohio

5 months ago

Read This in Norfolk, Virginia said: If your passion is to do Taxes, then become an Enrolled Agent. Forget the CPA , forget the Degree. If you can learn by reading, then become an Enrolled Agent with IRS. You just take a 3-Part Exam. If you pass and you then are an Enrolled Agent with IRS and can practice before the US Court . You have CEUs like CPA but they are tax specific. So some CPA's do not do CEU's in Tax so you have an advantage.

The info is very helpful to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Maumee in Creston, Ohio

5 months ago

The info you provided is very helpful. Thank you so much!

1TaxWiz33 in Staten Island, New York

5 months ago

Hey fellow Excel Lovers! Now why would anyone ever discourage people from taking the CPA? hahaha I am on part 3/4. If you are not 200% dedicated ( I mean not having a life is just a start) than steer clear of the CPA exam. I had times when I just wanted to teach finger painting to kids.

As for the EA vs CPA vs MS here is the truth of it from my 8+ years in taxation. Experience wins in the tax world - I don't care if you are a CPA, JD , LLM unless you have experience you can forget it. I personally believe that Taxation and Accounting should be solidified with a degree or license. To think you put in all that time and never got the MS or sat for the CPA is funny. Fail and try I always say than not try at all. So I don't mean to knock on the EU but if you are serious about it, get the experience and the certificate.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.