College student thinking of becoming an Accountant?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

wickedmaniac in Desert Hot Springs, California

27 months ago

I graduated High School in 2011, but I didn't graduate with the best GPA, so I'm attending a Community College because A. It's cheaper, and B. I can sort of reinvent myself as a student. I plan to transfer on to a 4 year university after here in California. With that said, I've looked at a myriad of different options as far as majors and job sectors go and one of them has been Accounting.

My hurdle is this: I'm not very good with Mathematics, though I've read one of the biggest misconceptions is that Accountants love Math, when in reality, they use mostly basic arithmetic. That's do-able for me. Plus, I've been meaning to kind of re-learn math from the bottom up since I have a few pre-requisite courses in Math.

Is there any advice anyone can give me as far as class structure or really what to do from here if I want to proceed studying Accountancy? How should I map out my classes? What are the best 4 year schools in California for Accounting? Anything would be appreciated.

Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pax Teecum in Saint Augustine, Florida

26 months ago

You are correct. You do not have to be good at higher math. The hardest math class that I had to take in 4 years was a Stats class. Now that being said, accounting is NOT easy. If it was everyone would be doing it. :) my oldest son is very good at math and when he took his first accounting class he called me on the phone saying how do you understand this stuff!! As for mapping out your classes in advance, what I would suggest is setting up an appointment with an academic counselor and reading your cours guide for course suggestions. You will want to plan your courses a few semesters out so that you will not run into any problems. I live in Florida so I do not know of any good accounting schools but I would suggest looking around and asking questions. You could call the IACPA they are one of the governing bodies for CPA's maybe they could help. Best wishes in the future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bean counter in San Jose, California

26 months ago

Enroll for next quarter's basic Accounting 101 and go from there. All the courses have pre-requisites and the class catalogue is self explanatory. You can always consult someone like an Accounting instructor in the Accounting dept if you have more questions. I'm not good in math at all and my interests are sociology or psychology, but I decided to major in Business because I wanted to make a decent living many years ago. It's a very competitive field now, and CPA is the only and necessary route after you get your BS degree in Accounting or you'll have a hard time in landing a job.

In the real world, it's easier than what we have to study in class.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

26 months ago

wickedmaniac in Desert Hot Springs, California said: My hurdle is this: I'm not very good with Mathematics, though I've read one of the biggest misconceptions is that Accountants love Math, when in reality, they use mostly basic arithmetic. That's do-able for me. Plus, I've been meaning to kind of re-learn math from the bottom up since I have a few pre-requisite courses in Math.Thank you!

Accounting is not math "math" like differential equations or figuring out the area under the curve. I suck at that myself.

Accouting is adding and substracting. The problem is figuring out when to add and when to subtract. Just take a course in Accounting 101 and you'll see that its not that hard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.