CPA with experience and unemployed

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

CPA in MD in Gaithersburg, Maryland

16 months ago

I have been reading the boards here about being the unemployed accountant. If it is not hard enough to find an accounting job without passing the CPA exam or having no experience, it is also difficult finding an accounting job with a CPA license and years of experience (which is the case for me (CPA license with 8 years experience)). I have been job searching since March 2013 when I got laid off. I have met with several job recruiters. I have searched online for jobs daily. I have attended one networking event so far. I try to also networking via LinkedIn. So far in four months: several phone interviews, two in person interviews, and no offers.

I haven't ask my recruiters yet whether it is me or the job market is just hard. Are there so many qualified applicants for limited number of positions available? I have read news articles online saying that accountants (especially CPAs) are huge in demand. That doesn't make any sense considering I'm a CPA in the Washington DC area (a supposedly better job market compared to other parts of the country) with years of work experience, excellent credentials and a clean record.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No Reply - Report abuse

nynurse in Hyde Park, New York

16 months ago

Don't tell me that, because I was going to get my accounting degree & go for my CPA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kianfar in Sterling, Virginia

16 months ago

CPA in MD in Gaithersburg, Maryland said: I have been reading the boards here about being the unemployed accountant. If it is not hard enough to find an accounting job without passing the CPA exam or having no experience, it is also difficult finding an accounting job with a CPA license and years of experience (which is the case for me (CPA license with 8 years experience)). I have been job searching since March 2013 when I got laid off. I have met with several job recruiters. I have searched online for jobs daily. I have attended one networking event so far. I try to also networking via LinkedIn. So far in four months: several phone interviews, two in person interviews, and no offers.

I haven't ask my recruiters yet whether it is me or the job market is just hard. Are there so many qualified applicants for limited number of positions available? I have read news articles online saying that accountants (especially CPAs) are huge in demand. That doesn't make any sense considering I'm a CPA in the Washington DC area (a supposedly better job market compared to other parts of the country) with years of work experience, excellent credentials and a clean record.

Wow, I related with you very much. I also live in Washington DC area (Northern Va). I'm having the same exact problem as you. However I'm a recent graduate with a BS from the local university. All of my friends can't find any accounting job. I think Washington DC is over crowded with Accountant and it's simply the supply and demand. There is basically too many of us and the supply isn't as hot as they say it is. It's extremely discouraging and a friend of mine with a CPA recently accepted a sales person position at the local Toyota Dealership since he couldn't find any solid accounting work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mcnyc in Brooklyn, New York

16 months ago

nynurse in Hyde Park, New York said: Don't tell me that, because I was going to get my accounting degree & go for my CPA .

are you a nurse?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

CPA in MD in Gaithersburg, Maryland

13 months ago

Update: Nothing has changed. Had some interviews but still no offer. Seems like competition for accounting jobs is fierce.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

The Finance Writer in Georgetown, Texas

13 months ago

The job market for accounting is hot mostly for recent grads who are CPA candidates. Corporations want lower cost non-CPA employees for their finance staffs. Large accounting firms want fresh graduates who they can work excessively. However, smaller local accounting practices have difficulty filling staff accounting jobs. Most of these entities focus on tax. If you don’t have any work history in tax preparation, local tax practices will hire people with no experience as long as they have some proven skills.

You can develop tax expertise by studying for the Enrolled Agent exam. Passing the EA exam is much easier than the CPA exam. However, you need a course that focuses on more tax subjects than CPA study. Take the course at fastforwardacademy.com/enrolled-agent-exam-prep.htm and you'll have all the knowledge needed for preparing every type of tax return. A small tax practice will then train you with software and file documentation procedures.

I’ve advised several accountants to take this avenue in the past three years – including some CPAs who thought they would not like tax jobs. They all ended up enjoying the work at a smaller operation where they had contact with a multitude of interesting clients.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Hopefulnyer in Brooklyn, New York

10 months ago

CPA in MD in Gaithersburg, Maryland said: Update: Nothing has changed. Had some interviews but still no offer. Seems like competition for accounting jobs is fierce.

what about northeast cities?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Globalists have ruined America in Saint Clair Shores, Michigan

5 months ago

The News article is to sustain college enrollments and nothing more. Colleges are for profit and the government provides the student loans with little documentation. It is similar to the mortgage crisis. Artificial demand created by government (easy financing) creates an increase in students, and a massive increase in tuitions (profit for colleges), and abundance of accounting graduates. Meanwhile, corporations are sending more and more accounting positions to India and Asia. You play by the rules and get screwed.

I am a CPA who was laid off from a large MNC along with all of the accountants, except 1-most of the positions were off-shored. This is the second time for me. I have had many interviews and no luck. I am in my 40's with 8 years of corporate accounting experience, advanced at excel, and tier one software. The IDEAL candidate is 24-30 with 2-5 years of experience. The market for me is much, much smaller.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rahman Ullah in Valdosta, Georgia

5 months ago

I have passed all my exams, have 3 years of general accounting experience, and still can't find a job in accounting. Schools don't put emphasis on business software and needs and just push out new grads whom never wanted big 4 jobs only to find they can't 1 job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rahman Ullah in Valdosta, Georgia

5 months ago

Rahman Ullah in Valdosta, Georgia said: I have passed all my exams, have 3 years of general accounting experience, and still can't find a job in accounting. Schools don't put emphasis on business software and needs and just push out new grads whom never wanted big 4 jobs only to find they can't 1 job.

i even tried unpaid internship...after aforementioned. no offers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JaneG in Waukesha, Wisconsin

3 months ago

CPA in MD in Gaithersburg, Maryland said: I have been reading the boards here about being the unemployed accountant . If it is not hard enough to find an accounting job without passing the CPA exam or having no experience, it is also difficult finding an accounting job with a CPA license and years of experience (which is the case for me (CPA license with 8 years experience)). I have been job searching since March 2013 when I got laid off. I have met with several job recruiters. I have searched online for jobs daily. I have attended one networking event so far. I try to also networking via LinkedIn. So far in four months: several phone interviews, two in person interviews, and no offers.

Most of the Accounting jobs are being outsourced in other countries.

JaneG in Waukesha, Wisconsin

3 months ago

CPA in MD in Gaithersburg, Maryland said: I have been reading the boards here about being the unemployed accountant . If it is not hard enough to find an accounting job without passing the CPA exam or having no experience, it is also difficult finding an accounting job with a CPA license and years of experience (which is the case for me (CPA license with 8 years experience)). I have been job searching since March 2013 when I got laid off. I have met with several job recruiters. I have searched online for jobs daily. I have attended one networking event so far. I try to also networking via LinkedIn. So far in four months: several phone interviews, two in person interviews, and no offers.

Most of the Accounting jobs are being outsource in other countries.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

joe in Brooklyn, New York

3 months ago

JaneG in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: Most of the Accounting jobs are being outsource in other countries.

is this true? How so? What companies are doing this?

Jobless Banker in Fort Worth, Texas

2 days ago

joe in Brooklyn, New York said: is this true? How so? What companies are doing this?

I stumbled onto this and am quite surprised to hear accounting majors with CPAs and experience that can not find work. I have a BA in History, an MBA in management, 4+ years experience in Insurance Underwriting and 5+ years experience in Fund Accounting. Despite this, I have been unemployed for about 4 years. My last job was at a large bank that moved a third of my department to Mumbai, India. The positions were strictly back office roles that had no direct contact to the clients so no one noticed. I was offered the opportunity to move to Mumbai but I declined due to personal family reasons. The other two-thirds was relocated to less expensive parts of the U.S. but it was done after I resigned. I only found out after several months when a former subordinate contacted me for reference. They explained the ordeal and I was not surprised by the decisions made but at the same time angered that the decision was made after I resigned. I was averaging 70-80 hours a week up to 2009, advised superiors that this was not sustainable, so they changed some work so that I would average about 65 hours a week. They also wanted to cut expenses... My advice at the time was move the department to a cheaper part of the U.S. to cut back on things that don't directly influence the ability to get work done (ie. cheaper rent, lower tax expense, move work to an area of the U.S. that has a lower cost of living so employees will have more take home pay). Nothing changed so I resigned... By the end of 2010 I was mentally and physically exhausted on trying to get employees to work more for less when all I wanted was more staff. Nice to know they did it after I left.

To answer your question though, I know a large bank that moved an entire departments wire transfer team (well, not the team but the work) to India and Guam. Don't worry though, that stuff still has to clear the Fed. ;-)

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.