Accounting job search

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Ed in Los Angeles, California

80 months ago

Hi, I'm currently in the process of figuring out my next career move and would like some help/advice from this community. I switched careers from being a chemist to an accountant 2 years ago, when I joined a small 4-person operation and started from scratch.

Since then, I have accrued 2 years of experience, and have passed 2 of the 4 required examinations to certification. I am hoping [crossing fingers] to pass my examinations this coming summer in july and find a new job where I can get more experience and grow within my career.

With that said, I am wondering if I should start searching now, and interview when given the chance [even if I am not yet certified]. If so, what can I do with a non-accounting degree and 2 years of entry level experience?

Or would it be a better idea to start searching once certification is secure, and I have a stronger case to lean on?

Also, what would you consider to be the ideal way to search for the right jobs? Should I find a headhunter? Post resumes on sites like this, hotjobs, monster, etc?

Thanks in advance for all your advice and insight. I really wish to do well within this field, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Ed

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Gre01 in Troy, Michigan

78 months ago

You should first begin with making sure your resume is a true reflection of the accounting experience you have. Once you have your resume up to par, post it online. Clearly indicate in your objective what type of job you are seeking. Also, reach out to agencies that focus specifically in your industry. Have you tried Kelly Financial Resources? They may also help you get your resume in shape. With two years of experience, you should be well on your way to a great accounting career!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Durham, North Carolina

76 months ago

I would recommend joining your state's CPA society and/or local chapter and start networking. There is no better option than face time with a perspective employeer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.