How do I ask for a chang of job title?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Kristen T in Minneapolis, Minnesota

70 months ago

Hi everyone,

I hope some of you with more experience can give me a little help. First, a long story (sorry). I was hired from temp to the AA position I now hold at a very small -12 employee- interpreting agency. When I signed on, they told me they had eliminated the previous HR Coordinator job and wanted me to pick up some of those responsibilities. It is now one year later and the owner/manager has cut her hours in half, and I've been doing more and more of what she used to do.

I handle accounts receivable, all HR duties aside from conducting interviews, answer payroll questions from contractors, answer invoice questions from clients and when we are short-handed I step in as a scheduler. Of course there are all the other Admin tasks; writing letters, mailing checks, etc. Basically I feel like I'm doing the job of an office manager but I am still called an "assistant" and being paid as such. My boss never hired anyone to specifically replace her when she cut her hours.

What I want to know is, are these typical AA duties, or am I doing more of a manager's job? This is my first job since college and I really have no idea if this is normal or not. I really like the work environment, but I want to ask for a raise and a change of job title if my duties warrant it. Am I out of line to ask for these things? I've been working there for just over a year.

Thanks for any advice

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kathy in Elkhart, Indiana

70 months ago

Hi Kristen!
I know how you are feeling. Unfortunately, job descriptions vary from business to business and when it comes to HR positions, you have to wear many hats. You can always look on Salary.com for job descriptions and rate of pay, usually they are higher than they should be, but it can give you a better idea. Does your company do yearly performance evaluations? This would be a good time to ask about a new title. It never hurts to ask. The worst they can say is "no". Just make sure that you do your homework before you ask. Have a list of accomplishments and a list of your daily, weekly, monthly duties. Sometimes, our bosses are so use to us just taking care of everything that they don't know everything we do until we are gone. Keep up the good work. And remember to keep up to date on new HR events, HR is an ever changing field and we need to stay on top of things! Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.