unemployed for 11 months

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 80)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

officequeen in Orland, Florida

71 months ago

I just want to say that I have been unemployed for 11 months, I know the economy is bad and trying to keep a positive attitude, but I have 15 years plus experience in the clerical/administrative/customer service field. If anyone has a job even if it's part-time, full-time, temp or perm, please e-mail me.Thank you for your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

MoonPi

71 months ago

The economy is such a train wreck right now. If you can get in a training program, it could help with skills and job placement. October 1 was one year without steady job, so I know your pain.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

I did not see anything for data entry home based jobs, they show alot of other things except for that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lore in Orlando, Florida

71 months ago

I know this isn't exactly what you had in mind, but it is employment. Bath and Body Works (and other retailers) are hiring holiday help right now. It would be something to tide you over for a little bit at least. :-/

Maybe after the new year more places will find room in their budgets to hire on more people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

becool236 in North Charleston, South Carolina

67 months ago

I have been unemployed for ten months. I have been in the medical field fifteen years. I have worked in doctor office, hospitals and a dialysis clinic. I enjoy working with medical billing and coding. I am experience but I am certifcated. Is there anyone that has medical billing/coding willing to train program or help me get cerfificated. I do not have the money to go classes to get cerfificated. I would worked part time or full time. If someome would give me a chance. Thank You for your time,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Medical Billing in Salt Lake City, Utah

67 months ago

Hi becool236,

Wow! 10 months that's rough. Truthfully you don't need to go to school to get a job it's all about presentation when you interview with a doctor. Resume should be stellar and reflect that you understand Word and Excel software. You also should be able to type about 45 words per minute. After that it's all about reliability and a willingness to work.

These are free billing videos on working on software so not coding specific but if you are interested in working in collections, or charge entry you will surely find valuable information.

You can visit videotrainingpro.com/ and scroll down to the Free Medical Billing Training Videos icon. Click on the link and it will take you to a list of 113 training videos. Select your video, click play and then maximize the screen.

I hope this helps. If anything comes up I will let you know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

power for a purpose in Franklin, Tennessee

67 months ago

officequeen in Orland, Florida said: I just want to say that I have been unemployed for 11 months, I know the economy is bad and trying to keep a positive attitude, but I have 15 years plus experience in the clerical/administrative/customer service field. If anyone has a job even if it's part-time, full-time, temp or perm, please e-mail me.Thank you for your time.

Hi office queen. If you are still looking for a job I have a position for you. It is in the field of dermatology. We are expanding nationwide with awesome products from the same great doctors who created Proactiv. If you feel your management skills with customer service is enough, contact me for your personal phone interview. This may be a really nice blend of talent for you. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kim Israel in Barberton, Ohio

67 months ago

I am looking to relocate to the Raleigh, Durham area. I have almost 19 years experience in Healthcare. Administrative Secretary, Office Manager, and HIM experience. PLEASE anyone with any leads on employment, please email me at kimberlyisrael38@yahoo.com. I have been unemployed for 4 months and am a single mom with one in college and I need benefits!!!! Thanks so much and good luck to all!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Barbara Latcham in Saint Paul, Minnesota

67 months ago

I too have been without a job for 10 mths. My son was cut back to part-time so he had to move back in with me. I'am a single parent with 20 years of experience in the Clerical field. Every time I go in for a interview, they see how old and hire someone younger. Isn't there jobs for older people out there? If anyone out there can help me contact me at blatcham@usfamily.net
thank you very much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cathy Butler in Sebastian, Florida

67 months ago

Barbara Latcham in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: I too have been without a job for 10 mths. My son was cut back to part-time so he had to move back in with me. I'am a single parent with 20 years of experience in the Clerical field. Every time I go in for a interview, they see how old and hire someone younger. Isn't there jobs for older people out there? If anyone out there can help me contact me at blatcham@usfamily.net
thank you very much.

I have been out of work for 19 months! I am on my last extension for ui benefits. I have over 20 years experience in office adminstration and can't find a job to save my life! I am getting unemployment and work very PT cleaning offices at night (8hr week). I had to move in with a friend of mine and rent is free. I just contribute to the food and utilities. I don't have a lot of bills so I'm just getting by ...... There are no jobs in my area. I am in school now for a certificate in Office Administration Careers to update my skills. I don't know what else to do. Have applied to at least a hundred jobs. Nothing. I'll keep updating my situation periodically ..... From these blogs .. I know I'm not alone! Let's not give up!

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

67 months ago

Cathy: Be sure to apply for food stamps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

I was denied food stamps, they are only for families in Florida.
I am single with no children. Thanks for the suggestion.

67 months ago

Food stamps:
That's not true. I got food stamps. I am not squandering. Right now I have $450.00 in my food stamp debit card.

I have been to the website. As a single person, you can only make $1,108 (or close to that a month). They must have taken into consideration your savings, stocks and bonds.

67 months ago

www.myflorida.com/accessflorida/
Here's the website for Florida food stamps. Do the survey to see if you qualify. I know several single people who received food stamps. Go to the website and do the survey.

67 months ago

My second application for food stamps has been denied - said I make too much money!!! Got to be kidding. My last unemployment check was $57.00 on February 6th. In February I made about $900 in substitute teaching.

67 months ago

I don't know why I got denied. I assumed it was because I was single.... that's why I can't get medicaid anyway. My roommate gets food stamps. I did the survey and if i include her she has stocks and bonds for a large sum of money. I don't know how she got food stamps.

Janelle Thibodeau in Waltham, Massachusetts

67 months ago

Barbara Latcham in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: I too have been without a job for 10 mths. My son was cut back to part-time so he had to move back in with me. I'am a single parent with 20 years of experience in the Clerical field. Every time I go in for a interview, they see how old and hire someone younger. Isn't there jobs for older people out there? If anyone out there can help me contact me at blatcham@usfamily.net
thank you very much.

I am 23 years old and cant find a job either. I have many friends my age in the same sinking boat. Its tough for everyone right now, keep looking, you'll find something

Barbara in South Saint Paul, Minnesota

67 months ago

Hi Janelle,

Thanks for your support. I'am hoping for a job--rent will be tough without money!!!

67 months ago

are you collecting unemployment? i am.. i live in mass and we can collect 1/3 of our weekly unemployment benefits. ive been looking for a part time job for now till i decide whether to go to school or work full time but i would only be able to work like 10hrs a week. that could help you out as well. good luck

Barbara in South Saint Paul, Minnesota

67 months ago

yes I get unemployment and I even get the Federal Money too..but that I 'am sure will run out. Everyone is telling me that the Federal money will have to be extended cause of all the people that need the money to live.

67 months ago

we have whats called the Career Place you can take some free classes, i found out about them through the unemployment website. Considering you have many years of experience it may be your resume that needs some help. A few years back i couldnt find a job and my sister did a different layout for my resume and changed some things around. After that i was getting MANY calls. She had told me that sometimes employers wont even look at your resume depending on how its set up. The Career Place has classes on how to format your resume and someone that will look over it with you and give you some tips for free. If you have a place like this near you its worth a shot. In this economy anything you can do helps. Its hard out there, ive only been unemployed for 2 months and i was having panick attacks on a daily basis... now im just numb to it all. but stressing doesnt help all you can do is keep looking and to use networking. And also instead of sending your resume online or through email... Stop into the business and personally deliver your resume. There is SOOO many people unemployed emailing their resumes in that hand delivering it may be an advantage.

67 months ago

Cathy Butler in Sebastian, Florida said: I don't know why I got denied. I assumed it was because I was single.... that's why I can't get medicaid anyway. My roommate gets food stamps. I did the survey and if i include her she has stocks and bonds for a large sum of money. I don't know how she got food stamps.

How long ago did you get denied? If it was recently, then call the person on your letter to talk to him. I have an idea they are just denying everyone who is single. The most you can make is like $1,127.00 a month. I made about $900 in February - and they denied me. Do not tell them you have a roommate.

67 months ago

but she gets food stamps at this address, how do i get around that?

67 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: How long ago did you get denied? If it was recently, then call the person on your letter to talk to him. I have an idea they are just denying everyone who is single. The most you can make is like $1,127.00 a month. I made about $900 in February - and they denied me. Do not tell them you have a roommate.

Just to let you know, I am married and I got food stamps, of course me and my husband are not working at the moment, I had to reapply because I only got them for 5 months, now the situation is a little different, my husband is on worker's comp, and I just got my last unemployment check, so we will see what happens. I live in Florida and If I remember correctly you cannot make anymore then $1600 a month, but I think that may be for two people.

67 months ago

Cathy Butler in Sebastian, Florida said: but she gets food stamps at this address, how do i get around that?

She probably lied, alot of people do, I don't recommend it, if anyone gets caught lying you can get into alot of trouble. Honesty is the best policy.

kec101 in Knoxville, Tennessee

67 months ago

I have been unemployed for nearly a year now, and I used to work as an Executive Assistant at a hospital. Can any of you help?

Cjlitaj in Sacramento, California

67 months ago

Its not any better here on the west coast. I have been out of work now 1 year as of March 1st. I also have over 10 years in the administrative field and my last position was as an Executive Assistant. I have found that many companies dont want to pay anything since they have so many applicants to choose from for only 1 open position. I have gotten some success with signing on with a number of temporary agencies. I have been offered positions however they dont pay as much as Im getting on unemployment. I wish you the best.

Barb in Scottsdale, Arizona

67 months ago

Janelle Thibodeau in Waltham, Massachusetts said: I am 23 years old and cant find a job either. I have many friends my age in the same sinking boat. Its tough for everyone right now, keep looking, you'll find something

Hi Janelle, good luck in your search. You might want to check out some of the network marketing opportunities. There are many to choose from. When the economy is in disarray, like it currently is - those type of businesses thrive. What else are you interested? I hope I can help. Be blessed, Barb B

Anya in Van Nuys, California

66 months ago

Cathy Butler in Sebastian, Florida said: but she gets food stamps at this address, how do i get around that?

I am not advocating anything illegal, but with the County of Los Angeles, you are considered a separate household if you purchase/prepare food separately from your roommate. I am presuming that may also be the case in Florida, but dont quote me.

Although Florida is definitely different and a difficult state to live in. I lived there for five years in Orlando and had to work two jobs almost all the years I lived there; just to bring home 40K annually.

God Bless you, Cathy!

ProjCoord1 in Schaumburg, Illinois

65 months ago

Dear officequeen,

I too can relate to what you're going through.
I am a mid 40-something AA/Project Coordinator/Project Assistant and have been unable to land a job for 18 months now.
Over the last 10 years, I have had 2 very good jobs in the Architectural/Engineering/Construction (AEC) industry.
In 2006, I decided to leave a company in search of a company that promoted a more positive work environment. In less than 2 months, I sent 6 resumes, had 4 interviews and 3 job offers. Unfortunately, I accepted the best offer of money, stock options, benefits, etc. even though I felt one of the other less attractive offers would be a better fit. Huge mistake and after 2 months, I knew full well that this was not going to be long term employment for me. Instead of continuting my search in what was then a much better job market, I stuck it out thinking I could make this work. It lasted 15 months and I was let go near the end of 2007. This was the first time I had ever been let go by an employer. This was the first time I had ever applied for unemployment.
Since that time, I have sent at least 100 resumes, all of them for positions in the AEC (or very similar) industry and have had a total of 5 interviews. Always felt the interviews, with the exception of 1 went really well. Then I would receive a letter or e-mail stating that another candidate had been chosen. It is disheartening.
Since the 4 quarter of 2008, I have not had a single response to any cover letter/resume sent. I know that AEC industry has been hit especially hard by this recession, but many of the jobs I have applied for are looking for experience in this field, and I have a solid history of that with good references. I am more than willing to take a pay cut to once again be working, as I understand that companies need to cut back on salaries.
I do not want to be a conspiracy theorist here, but I feel my age and previous earnings have become a detriment to my finding employment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Down in in Richmond, Virginia

64 months ago

I have been unemployed for six months and I have over thirty years of administrative assistant work in hospital, insurance and government and can't find a job. I have gone on interviews but I think as soon as they see my gray hair and can pay a younger person to do the same job I don't get a call back. I'm also in school doing a degree in Information Technology Assistant and will be certified by June of next year, I hope that that can help. Are jobst out there for people my age...

LK17 in Selden, New York

64 months ago

I feel your pain, "Down" and "Office Queen" and all of the others Admins. here. I have over 20 yrs. of experience in an Executive/Administrative Assistant role, yet I too have been unemployed for over a year. I have applied for every position under the sun and lately I am lucky to even get a returned response. I remember years back, if I applied for a position, I usually got a response within a few days. I have updated my resume, polished myself up for the far and few interviews I've been on, but I just don't understand what it is that employers are looking for these days. Its a very frustrating and disheartening process, but you can't give up.

lroy77@comcast.net in Chelmsford, Massachusetts

64 months ago

If you want to get certified, go to www.ahima.com. I am a CCA and even though I earned my certification two years ago, without experience, I'm not even being considered. Mind you, there are certain medical specialties that I cannot condsider for ethical reasons (which I'm willing to tell you privately). I hope to eventually get the experience so I can apply for my CCS-P certification by the time ICD-10 comes out in 2011.

I've have 22 years clerical experience over all but not had steady employment since 2002 for one reason or another. I'd like to get back into the administrative field before it's too late. (Yes, I'm considered a mature worker though I look 10 years younger!).

Good luck!

douglas in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts

64 months ago

IS ANY BODY ELSE HAVING A HARD TIME IN THIS JOB MARKET,BEEN UNEMPLOYED FOR SEVERAL MONTHS. GETTING INTERVEIWS,ALWATS THE SAME STORY...WE HAVE PICKED ANOTHER CANIDATE MORE QULIFIED WEATHER THEY ARE OR NOT I THINK THAT PICK SOME ONE ELSE FOR LESS $$$ HOW LOW SHOULD I PRICE MY SELF?? THERE HAS TO BE A LIMIT!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

cjoebutler in Fort Pierce, Florida said: I've been unemployed for almost 2 years! I get the same response you do....... now there are no more jobs to even look for!

Gota love Florida, though, right??? Where else can you bask in the heat, look at the beautiful trees, ocean and scenery and worry about stepping on wasps in the grass, or only getting in a pool because you don't want to get attacked by an alligator? At least we're not unemployed in Ohio or Michigan and really miserable.

LJRoy in Chelmsford, Massachusetts

63 months ago

According to the people at OfficeTeam, even $10 is too much so most employees are going as low as $8.00.

63 months ago

I have a question for you guys.

Would you recommend sending a resume to a company for a position even if you don't have enough-if any-of the qualifications?

My reasoning is that you may not be suitable for the posted position but perhaps there will be a position you ARE qualified for further down the road; they already have your resume so that should put you one step ahead instead of resending your resume.

Hiring managers and recruiters have differences of opinion on this...some say go ahead, others say only send resume for the posted resume.

63 months ago

If you only send a resume for a posted position, then it's likely you will stay unemployed for a very long time - because EVERYBODY is sending a resume for that posted position. It's possible a position may be opening up, and your resume comes at just the right time.

63 months ago

That's my reasoning, but most recruiters that I have talked too are advising not too...their reasoning seems to be that hiring managers barely have the time to read resumes for posted positions, let alone for a position that doesn't exist. Thus the resume basically is discarded. Go figure! I think it's a "catch-22" situation.

I'm sure if these recruiters were in the same boat as us poor unemployed souls, maybe they'd agree with us.

johnson w in Irvine, California

63 months ago

Try considering getting some extra training or taking classes to give yourself an extra edge and to make you more attractive than other applicants.

For example, Southern Careers Institute (www.scitexas.com) has an Administrative Assistant program that can help. Good luck.

63 months ago

Besides having open heart surgery in 2005 and having a broken ankle in 2008, that what I've been doing between sending resumes since 2002.

Even as I type this, that's what I'm doing. It has not increased my chances of being considered.

Mary in San Diego, California

61 months ago

citenough in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Hi, I have a contract position for one week. Please email your resume to: citenough@gmail.com. This position starts ASAP. Please hurry, they are filling up fast. Just as soon as I receive your resume, I will give you a call.

Hi, it is commendable that you are reaching out to people who need work. However, many people are not comfortable replying to anonymous posts like this. There are too many scams out there. Please consider publishing your company name/contact information.

Patricia Robb in Marietta, Georgia

61 months ago

I met this person at a conference recently and he wrote a book called Get A Job. The link is www.TheGetAJobBook.com
I thought it was a good book to get started in your job search.

Pat

61 months ago

Thanks, I'll get the book when my budget allows.

But...friends, I've read numerous books on resume writing, on job search approaches, on interview techniques. I STILL can't get an interview, let alone a job offer.

Supposedly these books are from the best of the best, from "experts" who will guarantee you a job offer...IF you follow their advice faithfully. AND, they don't all agree on advice either...in fact they sometimes contradict each other.

There's no "magic" book out there. As each individual's situation is unique, you should approach your job search the same.

Administrative Assistant in Bayonne, New Jersey

60 months ago

Good Morning,

I am an Administrative Assistant looking for employment in Northern NJ (Hudson County, Bergen County). The company that I worked for closed down last July (2008) and I am still looking for employment. I was the Assistant to the CIO of North America for the company that I worked for. During my last two years of employment with the company, I was also the Assistant to the Vice President of Supply Chain as well as, the Vice President of Product Development and Sourcing. I have 11+ years of experience assisting on an Executive level and I would love to hear about any opportunities that anyone may have. I can provide my resume, cover letter, and references. Thank you & good luck to all on your job search!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mmash in Mooresville, North Carolina

59 months ago

Bet all of you are 45-50 years old!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

FRedlinWetworksEntertainment in Orange, California

59 months ago

Looks like a lot of frustrated people out there again. Can't say I blame you. But if you are ready for something different, then it's time you sent me a copy of your resumes. Wetworks Entertainment, website design & hosting service company with content and cash prize contests for First Person Shooter games is hiring independent sales reps (and this form of sales is about as easy as it gets, but you will need to believe in yourself). We offer 50% commission on every product you sell with the average sale being $205. It is not unrealistic to pull down $2K a week working a 40HR work week, so hopefully I will hear from those of you ready to switch gears, and stop hearing no to a new career. frank.redlin@wetworksentertainment.com

mmash in Mooresville, North Carolina

59 months ago

Your wetworks site is wet alright. God luck on your scam.

59 months ago

I'm actually 47, and considered a mature worker. However, if you saw me, you'd think I was 15 years younger.

Anonymous in Summit, New Jersey

54 months ago

Administrative Assistant in Bayonne, New Jersey said: Good Morning,

I am an Administrative Assistant looking for employment in Northern NJ (Hudson County, Bergen County). The company that I worked for closed down last July (2008) and I am still looking for employment. I was the Assistant to the CIO of North America for the company that I worked for. During my last two years of employment with the company, I was also the Assistant to the Vice President of Supply Chain as well as, the Vice President of Product Development and Sourcing. I have 11+ years of experience assisting on an Executive level and I would love to hear about any opportunities that anyone may have. I can provide my resume, cover letter, and references. Thank you & good luck to all on your job search!

Sounds like you have a great background. Did you find employment?

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.