Relentlessly Seeking Employment

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (46)

Bobbie Baker in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

74 months ago

This December will mark five years since I've been unemployeed. I never thought that I'd see the day where being out of work would turn into years. I have plenty of skills, some college education, a great sense of humor and have always actively worked, but this situation of being jobless can be quite daunting at times. Let's see, what have I done to "Get Back In The Game" in terms of networking? Go on the computer everyday -- spending up to three hours filling out applications and such. Signed up with 15 temp agencies. Meeting people as I go along, I network, asking them to reach-out-and-touch someone like me who refuse to give up. Pounding the pavement with hard copies of my resume going from office building-to-office building, because let's face it, sometimes one's resume can get lost in computer cyberspace.

Aside from keeping the faith, what more can I do. I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dean_Suraci in Cornwall, New York

74 months ago

What was your job when you were employed 5 yrs ago?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dean_Suraci in Cornwall, New York

74 months ago

Duh! Admin, I just saw it.

Francean DutchBrown in Anacortes, Washington

74 months ago

Sounds like you have been doing the same thing for five years without results, You need to change what you are doing and start thinking outside the box, have professionals help you redo your resume and target jobs with a resume that targets the skills you have, assume the economy is good and just know that you will get a job. good luck,

Nancy_Michigan in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

74 months ago

I completely relate. I too am an admin, contact, and have been out of work and actively looking for over two years. I have a Bachelor's of Science degree. I've recently had a couple of bad contract assignments. They were disastrous. I'd walk, unknowingly, into these situations where I was interviewed and selected as "the candidate". Through the grapevine I found out that the prior Exec Asst made $60k a year, and the former Ofc Mgr made $30k. There I was being paid $17.00 an hour with no benefits. The problem, the President was a screaming, malicious, maniac. I have no idea if she was an alcoholic, a drug addict or what. I was so stressed out I was unable to sleep, even over the weekends. I'd trash around in my bed all night. I tired talking to a couple of Directors asking for their advice, but they'd hang their heads down and smirk. The only thing they'd say is "Our relationship with her is different. That's just the way she is." I phoned the contract house and told them and asked for support and suggestions on what to do. I also wanted them to have my back. They removed me from that job and sent me on another assignment, it was equally as bad. I think this is what contract houses do when they want to bury you, make you look like you're the problem. It’s their way of black listing a person. I have no idea of what to do. I have a strong work ethic, I'm a great, hard working resourceful individual. I go above and beyond. I'm doing everything possible to find work. I fear within the next six months I'll lose everything. I'm fearful of becoming homeless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bobbie Baker in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

74 months ago

Nancy_Michigan in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan said: I completely relate. I too am an admin, contact, and have been out of work and actively looking for over two years. I have a Bachelor's of Science degree. I've recently had a couple of bad contract assignments. They were disastrous. I'd walk, unknowingly, into these situations where I was interviewed and selected as "the candidate". Through the grapevine I found out that the prior Exec Asst made $60k a year, and the former Ofc Mgr made $30k. There I was being paid $17.00 an hour with no benefits. The problem, the President was a screaming, malicious, maniac. I have no idea if she was an alcoholic, a drug addict or what. I was so stressed out I was unable to sleep, even over the weekends. I'd trash around in my bed all night. I tired talking to a couple of Directors asking for their advice, but they'd hang their heads down and smirk. The only thing they'd say is "Our relationship with her is different. That's just the way she is." I phoned the contract house and told them and asked for support and suggestions on what to do. I also wanted them to have my back. They removed me from that job and sent me on another assignment, it was equally as bad. I think this is what contract houses do when they want to bury you, make you look like you're the problem. It’s their way of black listing a person. I have no idea of what to do. I have a strong work ethic, I'm a great, hard working resourceful individual. I go above and beyond. I'm doing everything possible to find work. I fear within the next six months I'll lose everything. I'm fearful of becoming homeless.

It's very true that after running from one job assingment to next, it's enough to make you feel as though you're going to loose your mind. It's bad when you have to go into a job and try to learn the company's structure and how they do things, but it's even worse when you've got to deal with all of these different personality dynamics.

officequeen in Orland, Florida

74 months ago

Hi Nancy from Michigan, I am truly sorry that you had to go through all of this chaos at your job and like you said they gave you another position, making you look like the bad guy, it is truly ashame that we cannot speak up in the workplace when we know that something is wrong, then to have your colleagues not back you up or at least try to help you. Don't worry Nancy someone will hire you for the true person that you are and appreciate you. Don't give up and keep the faith. Pray to God so that he can give you the strength to endure. Best wishes and take care.

Carol Erbe in Racine, Wisconsin

74 months ago

Dean_Suraci in Cornwall, New York said: Duh! Admin, I just saw it.

I have been in the same boat -- EA/AA for 25+ years and temp agencies haven't been able to help me either. While I have gotten telephone and/or in-person interviews, it seems to me that the more I have to interview the worse I get. Ditto for revising my resume. Sitting on my home PC w/o it being ergonomically correct is quite hard on my body. I can appreciate how you are feeling as I have been doing this since mid-July 2007. It is not an easy concept to think I have worked full-time while raising 4 chldren, commuted 50 mins. 1-way for 15 yrs., only to end up with no job and no one to hire me. Let's both keep the faith. Good luck to you and me as I know we both have a lot to offer a company.

officequeen in Orland, Florida

74 months ago

Bobby Baker, you are doing the right thing, I am doing the same, the only thing I have not hit the pavement, which I think I will be doing soon. Right now my husband's car is not in working condition. I live in Florida, so you know you need a car here. As soon as we can fix the car I will also hit the pavement. I feel your pain, but don't give up, keep the faith and pray alot, God will answer your prayers and keep a positive attitude. I know it can be very discouraging, but we have to be realistic and face the facts, the economy is bad, but if you have time to go to school, which I am thinking of doing that is something you can think about. I have been doing administrative work for over 10 years and I am thinking of maybe changing my career and going into Medical Assisting work. Take care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

distressedadmin in Lake Worth, Florida

72 months ago

I can relate to what all of you are going through. The job market is a joke right now, and especially worse for Admins! I've sent out cold resumes, done research on companies in my area, continually search on-line for jobs, and it's a total joke! I've tried registering with Agencies and they are little or no help. I have years' of experience and an AA degree, and feel totally useless. I know it's a tough job market out there, but something has to give! I had 2 interviews, but that was like 4-months ago! I've had NOTHING since! One employer decided to "freeze" new hires and the other either decided to hire someone else or decided not to fill the position. I am as frustrated as all of you are! I've done everything by the book; updated my resume several times, changed my cover letter; asked all the "right" questions on the interview. I need to work SOON, or I will be on the streets!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nancy_Michigan in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

72 months ago

You say if you don't find work soon you'll be out on the streets soon. You're not alone. I wiped out my savings which was 3 times more than what the experts recommend you to have in savings. I'm now draining my IRA savings. Can't move because I own, which I can't sell and the banks are doing little to nothing to help anyone even modify mortgages so that we can stretch, buy time. I have 11 years left to pay and I wanted to modify to a 30 year and cut my payments in half. Bank of American seems out to cheat and hurt, not help people. I have a Bachelor's and 12 years of administrative experience. Where ever you are, nothings as bad as MI.

I'm going to get a TB test today. I'm going to start doing volunteer work through Catholic Social Services. I attended a private (Catholic) college. I also foster a kitten for an animal rescue, he's a maniac but makes me smile. I hope Social Services will help me if I do end up on the streets. I've also joined, for $5.00 for a year gym membership at a community college I graduated from, I'm eligible for because I’m an alumni (this means a shower and pool if I become homeless). Thank God my car is paid off and run’s well. The best thing that has happened to me is my local Democratic Club I belong to just asked me to be on their Executive Committee. I have an outgoing personality and they asked if I'd help grow the membership of the club. I’ll enjoy doing this. I love the club and even though I’d rather die than become a sales person, this I can do. I’m sure if I grow the club to an impressive level I’ll get credit/acknowledgement. As an admin, we see management sit in meetings and then they come out and we do the work while they take the credit. There is simply is too little employment for all of us out there looking, so you have to look for opportunity. I'm hoping the economic stimulus plan will open a door for me to go for my Masters degree. Going to school would be good for my mind and that's something I refuse to lose.

72 months ago

Thanks, Nancy. We are not alone, that is for sure! I hope the economy turns around really soon; but I think it may take awhile? At least your car is paid off, so you have that piece of mind. Sounds like you are doing the best thing for yourself by staying busy and doing volunteer work. I commend you for taking in that little Kitty. Best of luck on obtaining your Masters Degree. I have a student loan that I can't even pay off, so I can't possibly go back to school and chose another career path. I can't pay off my loan if I can't even secure a job. My heart and prayers go out to you and everyone reading this and going through a similar experience.

Lee W in Burlington, New Jersey

72 months ago

I don't know whether it helps or hurts to read so many stories similar to mine. It's been almost a year and a half since I had a permanent job. I've been surviving on unemployment and temp jobs but even the temp jobs have almost dried up. I'm 55 years old and practically living hand to mouth. I'm terrified about what will happen when my unemployment runs out. What are we supposed to do???

71 months ago

Dear Lee W: First, let me tell you how very sorry I am to hear about your troubles in finding work. Please know that we are ALL here to help one another; and we all need support and to keep ourselves busy with networking or just telling our stories. It's very important that you don't shut yourself out. So, coming here to share your stories is very helpful to other people. I understand your frustrations with the job market. All of us can relate to one another is some way or another. Don't worry about your age because you have tons of experience and knowledge, and the "right" employer would be very happy to have you! So, don't give up! Keep networking, keep applying for jobs, keep talking on this messageboard. We are here for you! Things will get better! I get scared, myself because we all keep hearing about more layoffs and companies shutting-down, and that makes it even THAT much more difficult for me, and other's to find a job. However, we mustn't give up. Best wishes to you on your job search and your future! :-)

paranoid android in Denver, Colorado

64 months ago

Nancy, your a trooper! I love your story, not the bad circumstances, but that you are figure things out as a mean for survival. Some folks just give up. Your last post was 7 months ago, I hope you post again so i can hear how your doing.

nancy in Farmington, Michigan

64 months ago

It has been mentioned that it has awhile since I've last posted,s o here I am. I've become so disillusioned with seeking work I've buried myself into politics. I'm fighting for health care amongst other things. I’m disheartened to realize just how far-gone the government is, how deeply embedded our elected officials are in following the leads of lobbyists and how they just don't give a darn about people. I’m not that bothered because I’m doing something that is ful-filling, something that so few bother with. The level of ignorance and complacency I come across in everyday people astounds me. I understand why we’ve lost our jobs, what president started this and which one's have compounded our problems. How the government is functiona, who the Federal Reserve is, Wall Street, the banks, the two wars were in, blah, blah, blah. I know what Tea Bagger’s are about, what brown shirts are, who is standing up and doing all this screaming at these Town Halls, on and on. I get why it has been reported that people are taking record levels of prozac, and that single women with children are in worse shape than anybody in the country. I have a very good idea as to where this country will be not to far down the road.

I know that I am networking and meeting more people than I would if I were sitting at my PC all day writing stupid cover letters to some 23 year old headhunter who is looking for someone with a lot less experience than I have. Because the most important thing to do today is find someone who will work for $12.00 or less an hour. Oh my gosh, I just heard about 500 readers say, $12.00, I’d be thrilled to make that much.

I don’t know why or how but I’m managing. I’m rarely sad or depressed. I’m meeting new people, I’m involved and I standing up for what I believe in. I’m also taking a few computer classes but they are tedious and boring, but I’m learning something new everyday.

I know that I should be opening my own business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

64 months ago

In Tampa someone just posted how she found a job on craiglist as a legal assistant. She moved here from up north, signed up with four agencies, and she called those agencies every day - and she went on about seven (I think) interviews - and now she got a great job as a legal assistant in Tampa, with great pay, and she has no Florida legal experience.

So what happened to all the rest of us living in Tampa, with years of legal experience - and don't even get a call for an interview? Must be age.

paranoid android in Denver, Colorado

64 months ago

Nancy,

You win the internets.

64 months ago

Pick one of these.

She's really cute, great body.
She doens't know it yet but she just landed the job from hell.
She thinks $10.00 an hour is GREAT pay.
Q: Who in their right mind wants to live in FL?

64 months ago

Bobbie Baker in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: This December will mark five years since I've been unemployeed. I never thought that I'd see the day where being out of work would turn into years. I have plenty of skills, some college education, a great sense of humor and have always actively worked, but this situation of being jobless can be quite daunting at times. Let's see, what have I done to "Get Back In The Game" in terms of networking? Go on the computer everyday -- spending up to three hours filling out applications and such. Signed up with 15 temp agencies. Meeting people as I go along, I network, asking them to reach-out-and-touch someone like me who refuse to give up. Pounding the pavement with hard copies of my resume going from office building-to-office building, because let's face it, sometimes one's resume can get lost in computer cyberspace.

Thanks

I think you're great. After 5 years you're a pro. Know one thing and I'm serious. It's not you. Suggestion: Please don't ever vote for another Democrat or Republican ever again. I swear on my life, you'll be doing yourself a favor. They've screwed the USA up to death. Chin up, you're wonderful. Practice yoga, become a political activist, blog, listen to WDTE 1310AM TALK Radio M-F. Do volunteer work and every time somebody so much as ever so slightly bugs you, quit! Just for the fun of it. Become a radical, what the heck, you can't get fired. I love going to rallys' and protesting becasue I know inside the corporation we're at, there are bosses inside. How often does anyone get to tell them off? FUN! On Labor Day, I'm walking in a parade. The irony of it all, unemployed walking in a Labor Day parade.

64 months ago

paranoid android in Denver, Colorado said: Nancy,

You win the internets.

Why thank you! Where do I pick up my prize?

64 months ago

nancy in Farmington, Michigan said: Pick one of these.

She's really cute, great body.
She doens't know it yet but she just landed the job from hell.
She thinks $10.00 an hour is GREAT pay.
Q: Who in their right mind wants to live in FL?

She probably did get the job from hell. The way she wrote, she sounded about 23, so probably is young, cute and perky - a valuable job skill we lose after age 40.

Sue in Colorado Springs, Colorado

64 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: In Tampa someone just posted how she found a job on craiglist as a legal assistant. She moved here from up north, signed up with four agencies, and she called those agencies every day - and she went on about seven (I think) interviews - and now she got a great job as a legal assistant in Tampa, with great pay, and she has no Florida legal experience.

So what happened to all the rest of us living in Tampa, with years of legal experience - and don't even get a call for an interview? Must be age.

Or personality.

yle in Miami, Florida

64 months ago

READING THESE POSTS MAKE ME WANT TO SCREAM.

64 months ago

yle in Miami, Florida said: READING THESE POSTS MAKE ME WANT TO SCREAM.

Then why did you bother to read them? Or did you just want to add something intelligent to the conversation?

Nancy Kulka in Southfield, Michigan

56 months ago

Bobbie Baker in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: This December will mark five years since I've been unemployeed. I never thought that I'd see the day where being out of work would turn into years. I have plenty of skills, some college education, a great sense of humor and have always actively worked, but this situation of being jobless can be quite daunting at times. Let's see, what have I done to "Get Back In The Game" in terms of networking? Go on the computer everyday -- spending up to three hours filling out applications and such. Signed up with 15 temp agencies. Meeting people as I go along, I network, asking them to reach-out-and-touch someone like me who refuse to give up. Pounding the pavement with hard copies of my resume going from office building-to-office building, because let's face it, sometimes one's resume can get lost in computer cyberspace.

Thanks

My situation isn't that much different than your's. I stay busy, very busy being a politcal activist and for me it's been fulfilling and opened my eyes to people and things I would not have found unless I took the journey. I'd like to share something with you rather than give you suggestions. The world is your oyster, do not be afraid, there is something waiting for you, your faith is your beacon, follow it. When I read your post I saw a very bright, and strong individual. Pass the word (Share).

www.transitionus.org/blog/vision-transition-time-magazine

56 months ago

It's been 18 months since I've last posted to this site and I'm still have not found employment. Many major changes are about to come my way. It's not all-bad, but as well all know, change can be very scary. We can fight it, or we can figure out what our options are. For two years I've looked for work, given up, and have gone back. I've also become a political activist and have found and unquenchable thirsts to stand up and speak out. Our country is in for big changes and what we see today is about to change for the vast majority of us. I'm meeting new people and everyone sounds like me, even the employed.

As for my future, I've decided to pick up, while I still can and move out of Michigan. If I am going to become trapped, I want to be trapped in my dream state. I want to live someplace where I will be happy growing old. Michigan is ranked 48th in quality of care for senior citizens. I have a degree in Gerontology, I specialize in understanding the process of aging.

I should be gone from my home of 23 years by this time next year. Whatever anyone does, if you have to foreclose, do not just walk away, the banks will come after you in the future. Foreclosure is not a matter of walking away, hire an attorney or you will be sorry. I filed for bankruptcy protection. And believe me, it protection.

I hope all of you are doing well, I'd love to hear your stories too.

Here’s what may be a glimpse into the future. It’s just another option. Check it out.

Office Queen in West Palm Beach, Florida

56 months ago

Nancy Kulka in Southfield, Michigan said: My situation isn't that much different than your's. I stay busy, very busy being a politcal activist and for me it's been fulfilling and opened my eyes to people and things I would not have found unless I took the journey. I'd like to share something with you rather than give you suggestions. The world is your oyster, do not be afraid, there is something waiting for you, your faith is your beacon, follow it. When I read your post I saw a very bright, and strong individual. Pass the word (Share).

Hi Nancy in Michigan, I feel you, I've been out of work for 2-1/2 years, temping here and there, but few and far in between. I went back to school, but thinking of transferring to another school. I went on a job interview on Friday, but he said if I get hired, he would call me on Friday, because they would start training on Monday. I took the initiative and called myself, of course I could not speak to the person that interviewed me, so I left two messages. I will not give up, I will find a job. I wish everybody the best. Keep praying and have faith, God will bless us all for our efforts. Take care.

Lynn of Bonita Springs in Bonita Springs, Florida

56 months ago

I was hoping to read some good news for all of you, Lee, Office Queen and Mary. I am still at Walmart, over a year now, (I gave in after 9 months of not finding a job and applied there). I was hoping things were getting better job wise. I am still sending out resumes every week, almost had a job in a realtor's office, but when I said I had to give notice they hired someone else. It seems that in SWFL, you might have a better chance if you are unemployed. Thought about going back to school but after reading some of the stories of people who have degrees and can't find jobs, decided I didn't need to spend money I don't have. And yeah I have a job, but I made more on unemployment than I do working full time at Wally World, then there is gas and clothing, but I do have health ins. now! Good Luck to all of you and I hope this economy turns around for all of us.

56 months ago

I'm doing substitute teaching. Had ten-week tutoring job also. Funny, when the tutoring ended, somebody in Unemployment decided I was subbing full time - and cut my benefits off, then down to $100 a week - so no money. I got food stamps on an expedited basis. We have a hearing next Thursday. I know I'm right - Florida Statutes and School District Handbook say so. They owe me about $2,500. At least I have food. I'm hoping to get another roomie. I'm working on my shorthand. My writer needs a new battery to run software.

I'm applying for legal assistant jobs, teacher jobs, private school teacher jobs, part time jobs ---.

I keep looking back at the last two years - and I honestly can say that the only thing that has been keeping me afloat is God and I am easygoing (and I don't go to Church). Six months from now I plan to be in a much different situation.

Bridget in Lake Worth, Florida

56 months ago

These stories are sad to read. I just want to encourage anyone who is reading this to never give up! The economy is far from improving; we just need to be strong and have faith in these hard times. I am waiting to hear back from a part-time job. I will be happy if I can get that. Whenever you are feeling depressed, burnt-out, or start to get that hopeless feeling, go out and do something to make yourself feel better. Go for a walk, sit in the park or beach, try a new hobby, read a book, call a friend, start a new project in your home, or something that you've been putting off because you didn't have the time before; spend time with your kids or pets (if you have any). The greatest thing you can give in life is the gift of "yourself" to others! Best wishes, B.

56 months ago

Everywhere in the USA in order to survive, one needs a job. Even the homeless need money to survive, so they beg for spare change. There's are emotional and mental phases one goes through being unemployed as time goes on. If you're not experiencing depression, something is wrong.

As many of you can tell something is changing in our country, something is not right. Today I've learned that prisoner's in India are starting to handle our bank checking accounts. I also leaned that former Chairman of the Fed, Alan Greenspan, had committed himself to a project of "worker insecurity". Please look for me on Facebook. As to be my friend. Stay connected. There’s a lot to know, lots to learn about. Please mention you're an Administrative Assistant. Then I'll know who you are.

Laid off in Conn in New Canaan, Connecticut

56 months ago

Hi Everyone. I was laid off 5/2009. Since I have had over 25 interviews, and 3 temp jobs. For a total of 4-5 mos of work. I am happy I got that. I just filed for a 2nd tier of unemployment in Connecticut. They gave me the mzx since I had severence pay. I have 2 mortgages and it took a year for Bank of America to help me, only after I got the Urban league after them. They gave me a 4 mos. forbearance since I was never late on the mortgage. I am hoping once I get a new benefit letter I can get some more help from Making Home Affordable. I apply for jobs day and night. I get some rejection emails, or the resume goes into the "black hole". I keep trying as I have a lot to lose here. If I run out of money I will cash in my 401K plan. I have been in my home for 20 years, and don't want to give up.

I have no family or parent that will take me in if my finances get worse. And, I have 2 dogs. So, I stay motivated by thinking of losing my home that I worked so hard to buy.

Thanks for posting that link about the fed on facebook. I wish everyone good luck, and hopefully we find jobs soon.
Thanks for listening.

56 months ago

Dear Laid off in Connecticut: I'm sorry to hear of your struggles however, I think you are doing everything possible in your power to improve your life and trying to save your home, and you certainly seem to have the right attitude! A good attitude is everything in these hard times. Never give up! You have to have hope and believe that things will get better. There are so many people out there in your similar situation, and by all of us talking about our stories, we can all help one another. All the best, B.

Laid of in Connecticut in Norwalk, Connecticut

56 months ago

Just wanted to follow up and let everyone know that I have found another contract job for 6 or more weeks. I took a lower pay as I think it's important to just keep working if possible. The company is very close by too so I won't have to drive a 1/2 hour or an hour like the other assigments so taking the lower pay is fine. It's for a medical leave so I know it will end when the person returns but I was happy the interviewers were older then me and very nice. So, Unemployment will be on hold again. I think I would rather take the temp job and be using my mind. Staying home gets old, although I keep finding things to do. I mmiss being at work. I just keep trying. I think contract is the way to go. I call around and make contact and it was good timing as I found something. Things seem to be picking up so that's a good sign. Anyone else have anything good this week?

56 months ago

That is wonderful news! Congratulations! This contract job could lead into something permanent, so you never know! It's better than being on unemployment, and also it will look good on your resume. By the way, I used to live in Norwalk, and I'm originally from Stamford. Good luck to you, and it's so nice to hear some good news, for a change! Me, on the other hand, not so good. I interviewed for a Part-Time job and they decided not to hire me, because they could not get employment verification from one company that I worked for. Nice, huh? You have to just roll with the punches, and move on.

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

56 months ago

I've only been out of work since February. I've had over 25 years of call center experience, as well as data entry, Word, light excel, and filing skills. I've had five interviews so far, but no luck. As frustrating as it is, I'm not going to give up.

Most of my call center experience has been with these outbound telemarketing service agencies and market research firm. There were plenty of these jobs back in the 80's, and now, there's very few of them here. I even applied to two of my former places. One of them decided not to choose me, and I never heard back from the other one. Just last month, I interviewed and tested for another market research job, but I failed the test by three points; therefore, they couldn't take me. It was just for this one project that they had coming up. But they did say that another project is starting up there in July and they'll be hiring again in June. We're almost into June and if I don't find anything soon, I will then reapply there.

I have though, looked at some of the other telemarketing and customer service jobs, but their either in high-tech or they want a college degree.

There's also very few office support positions out there such as in data entry or clerical. Otherwise, most of the jobs today are either in the medical field or high-tech, and that's just not for me.

Because I'm on Social Security Disability, I can only work part-time and I can't make more than $980 a month.

I'm just going to keep plugging away.

56 months ago

Bridget in Lake Worth, Florida said: That is wonderful news! Congratulations! This contract job could lead into something permanent, so you never know! It's better than being on unemployment, and also it will look good on your resume. By the way, I used to live in Norwalk, and I'm originally from Stamford. Good luck to you, and it's so nice to hear some good news, for a change! Me, on the other hand, not so good. I interviewed for a Part-Time job and they decided not to hire me, because they could not get employment verification from one company that I worked for. Nice, huh? You have to just roll with the punches, and move on.

Bridget: I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get the job. But the reason that you didn't get it is just rediculous. No. Stupid. Absurd. They didn't hire you because they couldn't get verifcation of employment from a previous company. How many references did they need?

I have seem some jobs posted that ask for a ten-year verifiable work history. Are these companies living in the Twilight Zone or something? Companies do go out of business and supervisors come and go. They should be lucky to call your last employer.

You say that you're originally from Stamford, CT. Well Maury Povich, Steve Wilkos, and Jerry Springer are now taping their shows right there in your backyard. And it's during the breaks of these shows that they constantly run these trade school ads glamorizing the medical field.

Good luck to you.

56 months ago

Bridget: I was just curious. What company told you that you weren't hired because they couldn't verify previous employment? Was it a staffing agency or the company itself? What kind of a job was it.

I do know that one of them, Aerotek, has a policy of verifying employment with the supervisor because Human Resources won't give them the information that they want. Come to think of it, this is what most staffing agencies do. They need to realize that companies have certain employment verification policies in place. But no! They don't want to listen. They'll do whatever it takes to get clients and that's the bottom line.

56 months ago

Laid Off in Connecticut: Congratulations on getting the job. Hope that it works out for you. Temporary is better than nothing. Good luck to you.

56 months ago

Nancy in Michigan: Perhaps you should think about running for public office, especially you're so politically active.

It's just as tough here in Pennsylvania, but I'm not moving out. I've got family here and my mother's a stroke patient at the same nursing home where I worked at 30 years ago as a dietary aide.

A lot of people who live in Philadelphia are flooding into Mongtomerry County, especially King of Prussia. My last job was out there, and I'd go back out there in a heartbeat if I was offered a suitable job opportunity. There's no worthwhile jobs in Philadelphia. A lot of the businesses are leaving there because of the taxes. Most of the jobs with my background are out there. I'll admit that I even applied over in New Jersey, but it costs an arm and a leg in bus transportion just to get over there.

56 months ago

Nanlisa: The line of those wanting to run for public office is 100 times longer than the admin positions that you I and a few million others are trying to find. Plus, one needs money to run for office. I love being an activist and wish there were 10 million more just like me. If there were, this country would not be in the shape its in.

I'm unemployed, and like you, I look for work everyday. But there are so few jobs it does not fill up my day. I'm doing everything I'm supposed to be doing. I did go on an interview today. The headhunter called yesterday, less than a 24 hr notice. I was signed up for computer class that the State paid for but she insisted that by saying that if I showed up for the interview I'd get the job. She said I was the only person he was going to interview. I left class at 10:30AM, it was an hour drive, but I still had to wait 20 min's for the interviewer to call me in. He was nice, he told me I was the 10th person he's interviewed and he still had more interviews. He said he'd decide by Monday.

What do I think? I think this guy was so tired he could barley think. He spoke the entire interview, which was fine with me. I did squeeze in selling myself and I did an excellent job. I described why I'd be the ideal candidate, what I could do for him, my ability to get the job done, how reliable I am and I asked great questions. Do I think I got the job? I do not lack confidence, but I'm not thinking I'm the one. He told me a few of the candidates that were sent in were absolute NO's! The lady walking out as I went in looked she had just rolled out of bed. Again, do I think I got the job? No. He gave me no indication that he liked me. We’ll see, at least I’m getting called for interviews. One of these days the call will come. Until then I’ll stay busy saving the country as best I can. There’s no shortage of work to be done in this arena. That’s for sure.

55 months ago

Hi Nanlisa: Thank you for your kind words. Yes, it is really stupid why they decided not to hire me. It was a Financial company, and they have very strict hiring policies. The way I look at it, it's "their" loss, not mine. I even went back for a "second" interview to meet the GM; and it was all a waste of time. This happens to me, a lot. It was only a P/T job and did not pay very well anyhow, but I thought it would at least get my foot in the door and perhaps open other opportunities for me, but oh well? I wish them luck in finding that "perfect" candidate.

Peri Brown in Gresham, Oregon

39 months ago

Nancy in MI, maybe your job travails are related to your "political activism". You're a legend on the web. I've had A DOZEN people in PDX warn me about you. They've lost scads of members over the years after someone that was very well intentioned and informed pointed out a factual or logical flaw in your conspiracy-theory-du-jour or cause of the day. All you do is scream illogic, proclaim that you know "the truth" on every subject...generally an illogical, self-important git.

Yeah, that's just the kind of loose cannon I want working in my office! FWIW, the "retire someplace I love" doesn't work either. I did that very thing. After 10 years of living my dreams and starting my own business, I really don't care anymore. Bottom line for me is progressive politics and I've lost all interest in it seeing how you are so much like most of the left and that intellectual integrity counts for zip anymore. I really don't think you even understand the concept.

This is what you get on the 'net. Legends in their own mind with answers to everything. Physician, heal thyself!

Tina Crabtree in Pembroke, Georgia

38 months ago

Get a professional redo or at least give you tips on your resume. I wish I could get a professional to look over my resume but cannot afford it at this time. Not sure what to say about my accomplishments on the job or at some jobs I was a jack of all trades so maybe I have too much on my resume. I have been reading about this topic: tailoring your resume to the job but not sure how much to put on there.

Hannah in Los Angeles, California

38 months ago

Wow 5 years is a long time.

It's possible you may need to consider going into a different line of work, I don't know what it is that you do. Also, there may be something wrong with your resume, appearance or overall presentation.

Consider getting your resume critiqued by a few people to make sure its' not holding you back and also consider doing an overhall on your appearance. Maybe you need to workout, eat well, whiten your teeth and do some things to give yourself a more vibrant healthy look.

If it's taking you this long to find work there has to be something wrong somwhere that you're missing.

Also, have you considered going into working for yourself?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.