Job Market

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 52)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

H Hughes in Decatur, Georgia

73 months ago

Why is it so hard for employers to hire older adults? Instead, they rather hire younger adult with no life experience much less job experience. Also why is landing a job now-a-days is base soley on who you know instead of what you know? I feel an employer will have a more dedicated employee thats willing to work hard and go the extra mile because they are older. The worry of them leaving the company after being trained to do the job is very slim where as a younger adult probably will leave. What has happen to old fashion values of being an American? I feel every person that puts forth an effort seeking a job should be give a chance. Hiring managers need to learn to treat prespective employees as they want to be treated if they were seeking a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

officequeen in Orland, Florida

73 months ago

Hughes in Decatur, Georgia, I agree with you 100%. I am 56 years old have an associates degress in Secretarial Science, I have not been able to find a permanent job since November, 2007. I have been on a few interviews, have had temp jobs, but nothing solid. It is true it is ashame that employers would rather hire younger adults that have hardly any experience and would probably leave the job sooner. Older adults are more experience, reliable, responsible and take our jobs seriously. Best wishes to you and keep the faith and pray alot. Your prayers will be answered. Take care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Thank you for your comment, it makes me feel better in that I am not alone in this. It is just so unfair!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

John Zimmerman in Lacey, Washington

73 months ago

Hi Hughs in Decatur,
Wish I had good news, but as "Officequeen in Orlando" says, if we older job seekers have to compete with the younger folks and our resume's pass through the HR screening softwares, typically we find ourselves in an unfortunate position. Yes, my choice of the word "unfortunate" may be subjective but at 61 years young, it surely seems to be the case. If we aren't fortunate enough to know someone - who knows someone,, we're seen as either over qualified, are accustomed/conditioned to a higher wage or the HR folks (assuming our resume's somehow make it past the screening) assume we're not likely nor able to adapt to NEW technology or NEW means and methods. I've not been searching as long as many older people I'm sure (4 months), but know this - YOU are NOT alone partner. According to the latest stats, people are working longer (avg is 70 now days) than in the past. Many continue working because we find our portfolios came up short (if we have one), are not as well prepared for retirement as we had anticipated, the recent Wall Street issues wiped our finances out ! or (best case) we find we are still in excellent physical and mental health and want to continue working. Hang in there folks, we still have our "multi faceted, hands on" experience and one day hiring managers will realize we can be vextremely aluable to their companys.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Henrietta Hughes in Decatur, Georgia

73 months ago

Thank you for your comment, that was very up-lifting and right on the money. I am 53 and I have a 15 year old to support. I can not and will not give up trying to find that job that pays me what I deserve to be paid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Thanks for the tips!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

You made an excellent point. How can we a group of concerned citizens make this complaint to the New Administration?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brownlee in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

73 months ago

H Hughes in Decatur, Georgia said: Thank you for your comment, it makes me feel better in that I am not alone in this. It is just so unfair!!!!!

I truly feel your pain as I have been unemployed since December 2007 and feel as though I've been over a treadmill 24/7. Still - keep the faith and fight on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Scribulz in Washington

73 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: You are wrong to use Indeed's free fora to shill your "business."

I expected to get someone out there that would "assume" that I am trying to pull something over on people. Without trying to justify my needs to help expand my legitimate business, I will say that there are lots of good people on these forums that are in dire need of employment. I am sincere in reaching out to those that are anxious to work, hardworking, and have the proper skills to be successful.

Best Regards,
Foster

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

deansuraci in Cornwall, New York

73 months ago

Your business looks legit. (I quickly checked it out). However Foster, people who need real income might get their hopes up when seeing your posting and eventually talking with you. The reality is that they will more than likely not make much doing this sort of gig and waste valuable hours finding this out when they should be spending their valuable time looking for real income. In my opinion, this might be a good side job only after finding a really solid first job.

Best Regards,

Dean

Scribulz in Washington

73 months ago

deansuraci in Cornwall, New York said: Your business looks legit. (I quickly checked it out). However Foster, people who need real income might get their hopes up when seeing your posting and eventually talking with you. The reality is that they will more than likely not make much doing this sort of gig and waste valuable hours finding this out when they should be spending their valuable time looking for real income. In my opinion, this might be a good side job only after finding a really solid first job.

Best Regards,

Dean

Appreciate your response and understand your concern. I am definately ensuring that people interested are aware of the realities of commission-based sales and also the need to be very independent.
Though we might not agree on the potential earnings that can be accomplished, I do value your input.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

m.strubinger@comcast.net in Quincy, Illinois

71 months ago

John Zimmerman in Lacey, Washington said: Hi Hughs in Decatur,
Wish I had good news, but as "Officequeen in Orlando" says, if we older job seekers have to compete with the younger folks and our resume's pass through the HR screening softwares, typically we find ourselves in an unfortunate position. Yes, my choice of the word "unfortunate" may be subjective but at 61 years young, it surely seems to be the case. If we aren't fortunate enough to know someone - who knows someone,, we're seen as either over qualified, are accustomed/conditioned to a higher wage or the HR folks (assuming our resume's somehow make it past the screening) assume we're not likely nor able to adapt to NEW technology or NEW means and methods. I've not been searching as long as many older people I'm sure (4 months), but know this - YOU are NOT alone partner. According to the latest stats, people are working longer (avg is 70 now days) than in the past. Many continue working because we find our portfolios came up short (if we have one), are not as well prepared for retirement as we had anticipated, the recent Wall Street issues wiped our finances out ! or (best case) we find we are still in excellent physical and mental health and want to continue working. Hang in there folks, we still have our "multi faceted, hands on" experience and one day hiring managers will realize we can be vextremely aluable to their companys.

Could not have been better stated -- you hit all the "nails on the head."

Does anyone have any legitimate employment sources sites for seniors?

m.strubinger@comcast.net in Quincy, Illinois

71 months ago

You're welcome. I think the main focus (and frustration) by many is
looking at equal rights with regard to age -- What equal rights? Sure,
there are equal rights in the workplace (if you have the time and
patience to follow through to proove something), but even in this type situation,
employers always seem to get around the law. Where are equal rights
addressed with regard to hiring seniors? I suppose if enough of us
would be consistent in writing to our State Reps and Congressmen,
if it would make a difference? But then again,why should we have
to "beg" to have those rights, and struggle so hard to find work?

bmgardner@tampabay.rr.com in Bradenton, Florida

70 months ago

H Hughes in Decatur, Georgia said: Why is it so hard for employers to hire older adults? Instead, they rather hire younger adult with no life experience much less job experience. Also why is landing a job now-a-days is base soley on who you know instead of what you know? I feel an employer will have a more dedicated employee thats willing to work hard and go the extra mile because they are older. The worry of them leaving the company after being trained to do the job is very slim where as a younger adult probably will leave. What has happen to old fashion values of being an American? I feel every person that puts forth an effort seeking a job should be give a chance. Hiring managers need to learn to treat prespective employees as they want to be treated if they were seeking a job.

I have been looking for a job since May 2008. I do feel that my resume is a deterent to employers. They can't ask your age however all they have to do is back track the dates on your resume and they can come up with a close age. I am 60 and I know things are tough out there but "come on" I am a good Admin. Assistant/Office Coordinator, I have had 5 interviews since May. My previous employer turned out to be great. The gal that hired me wrote on my resume "blond, older women". I saw all this later because she was there only to do the hiring since she was the Dispatcher's wife and she felt that I would not be a threat by coming on to her Husband. Once she was gone the job was great. To bad they were bought out by a big company and my job was eliminated. I don't have much longer to go before my emergency unemployment runs out and I do not know what I will do then.
Good Luck to all of us "Older Women" out there who are still fighting discrimination.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Sorry! didn't mean to leave out the "older gentlemen" I know it is just as hard for you guy's.
Thanks for the tips. I am going to try your ideas and see what happens. It can't be any worse than it is now, right? You had a lot of good suggestions and I appreciate your offering them.
Thanks, MG

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

LindaM in Barrington, Illinois

70 months ago

I like coming to this forum to chat up with people about my searches and such.

It gives me a sense of comradery so to speak.

I am also over 50 and am faced with the same situation as a lot of you.

Would be nice to have something like a union for older workers, no? bad idea?

Age discrimination can be worked around that is for sure!

70 months ago

Linda, Yesterday was the first time I have ever replied to any of the forums that are out there. I don't do My Space and that kind of thing. Yesterday when I read that I am not alone in my search I felt I had to tell my story also. I know it is a bad time to be looking for a job however when I started looking back in May things really were not as they are now. Back then is also when I had my interviews. I had to call them to ask if the positions had been filled. It is just plain rude and I think a little humiliating when you have to do that. As for unions, never happen!

The gentleman from Denver had some good ideas. It is not what the typical resume usually wants, but if it gets our foot in the door who cares.

I agree that there is some sense of comradery. It is good to be able to talk to people who understand. I do have a husband who is working and knows I try hard every day. I am at my computer at least 4 - 5 hours a day. It is just good to vent to folks who are there with you.

Wishing all of us luck. Let us know who gets a job.
Mikki in Bradenton, FL

geekgurl in Houston, Texas

70 months ago

H Hughes in Decatur, Georgia said: Why is it so hard for employers to hire older adults? Instead, they rather hire younger adult with no life experience much less job experience.

It's called bean counting. They can hire fresh-outs cheaper and I suspect providing benefits such as health insurance costs less too. Although a young person could certainly break a leg, get pregnant or be in a car crash, it's probably more likely that an older worker would have some major illness or surgery.

But then (and it would be funny if it wasn't so sad) they get what they pay for. I don't know how many times I hear or read complaints about how these young workers dress inappropriately, are lazy and expect huge salaries to do nothing.

It makes no sense...as a cost comparison, I think older workers would end up being a better value in the long run. They work harder, are more loyal--they're not going to be looking to jump to a rival company. Also they're not likely to be having to take maternity leave or run home to take care of a sick kid. You're not going to have to hold their hand or remind them not to wear flip-flops or inappropriate clothing.

I was laid off (with several others) in early 2002, only months after 9-11. I've only gotten contract jobs since. Previously I've never had a problem getting on with a company. I've had supervisors who wanted to hire me and raved about my work, but they're not in the position to do the hiring and it ends up getting shot down.

Whats bad is this is hitting the baby boomers. Many of which either didn't have the opportunities or for whatever reason, are not going to be secure enough, money-wise to retire. And if the boomers are forced to retire, it's REALLY going to kick the younger generations because they are going to have to pay a LOT more into Social Security.

I'm keeping notes and if I ever figure out how best to get around the age barrier, I'll write a book.

geekgurl in Houston, Texas

70 months ago

I would also add (being in the IT field) to stop importing workers on H-1B Visas. It's been well-documented that the only reason they want these workers is they can pay them less than the standard wages. There is no shortage of talent here, companies just don't like wages being competitive. Often times Americans are laid off and replaced with H-1Bs and there was a film that got out on You-Tube of a conference on how to disqualify qualified American worker in order to hire an H-1B. Once the worker is here, he or she stuck working for the sponsoring company. They can't change jobs unless the company they're working for allows.

Just a few months ago Microsoft was whining to Congress that they needed more Visa workers allowed in. Now they're in layoffs.

Mary in Tampa, Florida

70 months ago

We need to stop "contributing to the profits" of those companies that shun us. Myself, I'm working on my shorthand. I was a court reporter for 13 years. I hope to do it again in a few more months.

Karen S, in NYC (Brooklyn resident) in Brooklyn, New York

70 months ago

Well, I haven't read here in a while & sadly, I find none of this encouraging.

I was laid off in Sept. 07, have not worked since. I've got a BS & 15 yrs. as a legal secretary/word processor & I can't find work, neither temp nor perm. I was a temp for many yrs. (which many firms & agencies regard badly). I went perm in 2000 only to have my firm taken over by another firm; law firms are more unstable than ever & I've been trying to get out of them & do legal work in other settings, but am finding it much more difficult than I had imagined.

I've made use of most of the tips suggested for aging workers. I'm 52, color my hair for interviews & have taken pretty good care of myself. As suggested, I have taken the year of my degree off my resume & eliminated work history that goes further back than 10 yrs. Sadly, this has not really helped either, from what I can see. I got a BIT of temp work last Easter & some freelance work (which I try to avoid, due to tax issues). Nothing since then, most of the temp agencies I knew are gone (post 9/11), the few remaining don't have enough work for those already registered w/ them & the agencies themselves have that stricken, terrified look. I know a few of these agents for 10-15 yrs. & recognize the look of fear in their eyes.

While age discrimination legislation is nice in theory, I don't believe it's really enforceable, 'cause one can't readily prove it. Employers don't often say why a candidate is not hired, so it's really conjecture that ageism might be why one isn't hired.
I ran out of Unemployment Insurance ("UI") benefits last Spring, I've since alternated btwn Public Assistance ("PA") & extended UI benefits. I'm on the 2nd extension now, had the 13 wk extension, am now coming to the end of the 7 wk extension.

To the person(s) asking abt what to do when the UI runs out, try PA. Gets a person food stamps & medical insurance & a token rent payment (for me it pays 1/4 of my rent only). If not for dece

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

70 months ago

Karen, you should be in the legal assistant forum, particularly the one "How to Survive Financially When Unemployment Runs Out."

YOU ARE NOT ALONE. Go over to the legal forum. You will get a lot of emotional uplifting from others.

First thing to do. Look in your school district. Check the websites and see if they have openings for substitute teachers. It is day work. The money sucks. But it's a start. I have been subbing since April.

Second thing to do. Look for a part time at nights. Whether it be hotel room cleaning or whatever. Look for online work.

Third thing to do. Look for different job market. The legal market has turned against us. You will need some schooling or training.

CHOICES: Maybe medical billing and coding. Think about taking alternative teaching certification. Choices are English/Language Arts. See what is required to teach middle school math.

70 months ago

Karen: Also, think about court reporting. It will take you a few years to obtain the speed, but if you make it through, you will always have a job.

officequeen

70 months ago

Hi Karen, from Brooklyn New York.

I am a native New Yorker. now living in sunny Florida. I know what you mean about age discrimination. I also revised my resume, like my daughter told me to do, I don't think it really help either. And yes, when your UI runs out the next alternative is to apply for PA. Unfortunately in Florida, the only thing me and my husband were able to get were the Food Stamps. They deny us Medicaid and cash assistance, because you either have to be 65 yrs. of age, have children under 18 or be disabled, this makes no sense to me, thank God that my husband will be getting compensation money from getting injured on his job last year, we are not working. I have been out of work for over a year, have had a couple of temp jobs, but nothing permanent, now these agencies are slower then mollasses. The job market is really bad. I am thinking of going to school in the medical field. I might as well do something, instead of being bored out of my brain. Right now we have to move out of my daughter's house, because her lease is up next month, we will probably be staying in a cheap hotel and put our stuff in storage. I know all this sounds discouraging, but we have to keep a positive attitude, I know it's easier said then done, but we have to do it and pray alot to God to give us all strength and endurance. Take care and I wish you the best.

70 months ago

Thanks Mary, but no, I don't really wish to be in the Legal Asst forum, since I'm looking to get OUT of legal. I DO look in there from time to time.

As to teaching (or subbing) here in NYC one needs teaching credentials to do so & frankly I'd hate it, my Mom was a teacher for a time & 30 yrs. ago & in the suburbs, far different from now. No thanks, from what I hear it's no longer abt teaching but abt disciplining kids running wild.

I've peeked at some of the medical coding & billing programs -- they're some of the most well known rackets, 'cause the schools can say whatever they want & they're not providing the requisite skills or employers don't hire their grads.

I'm actually applying to major colleges, universities & medical schools & THEY can truthfully say what they're looking for & where they hire from. Much more productive & was suggested to me by a local hospital.

Henrietta in Decatur, Georgia

70 months ago

You know, you’re exactly right about public school systems, they are awful and yes you are a disciplinary instead of a teacher. I found that this is a result of the standards public schools are under by the state, there is no flexibility. I worked as a TA for 4 1/2 years trying to figure out if I wanted to get certified, NO THANKS YOU!! I am now at a private school and it’s much different in that no certification is required and there is plenty of flexibility and parenting involvement. I love it. The draw back is there is not a lot of benefits and most positions are half days. But it’s so different in a good way. I am still searching for my dream in HR, currently in graduate school and it hasn’t happen yet after almost 8 years.

70 months ago

Kate is getting a cash bonus to get you to cash crate - that is how she is making her money. Shame on your Kate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JEBlake in Newark, Delaware

70 months ago

H Hughes in Decatur, Georgia said: Why is it so hard for employers to hire older adults? Instead, they rather hire younger adult with no life experience much less job experience. Also why is landing a job now-a-days is base soley on who you know instead of what you know? I feel an employer will have a more dedicated employee thats willing to work hard and go the extra mile because they are older. The worry of them leaving the company after being trained to do the job is very slim where as a younger adult probably will leave. What has happen to old fashion values of being an American? I feel every person that puts forth an effort seeking a job should be give a chance. Hiring managers need to learn to treat prespective employees as they want to be treated if they were seeking a job.

I totally agree! I have over 33 years of experience, but am only 52. I've been looking for a job for the last 10 months and have sent out over 530 resumes. The rare opportunity of getting to interview with the first person.........I'm told I'm over qualified. My unemployment just ran out two weeks ago.

JEBlake in Newark, Delaware

70 months ago

I totally agree! I have over 33 years of experience, but am only 52. I've been looking for a job for the last 10 months and have sent out over 530 resumes. The rare opportunity of getting to interview with the first person.........I'm told I'm over qualified. My unemployment just ran out two weeks ago.

70 months ago

I am so sorry; it is just not fair for people as you. You should not have to be, first of all, looking for a job in your 50s; number two, should be in a secure job looking forward to retirement; three, have your nest eggs already and no worries. It is not fair for senior age individuals as us to be facing such uncertainties. I hope the economy turns around for the better, it has to. We’re going to stay in pray.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LucyLegal in Forest Hills, New York

70 months ago

Several months ago I posted here that I was going to meet with a tutor who said she'd teach me how to use Word the way it's used in law firms. Her name is Cheryl Cuddeback. I did eventually meet with her. She showed me a hands-on Word Test that I've seen before but could never get through it. She showed me step by step how to format it. Now, today, I can. Plus I'm more familiar with things like section breaks and styles. I eventually started getting more temp assignments and even one working as a temporary word processor! I was shocked.

But the best news of all is I'll be working as a full time secretary starting Feb. 23rd. I can't tell you how helpful this site has been. It's helped me during a pretty rough time. I never thought I would get a job, especially in this economy. I'll keep you posted.

70 months ago

Thank you for that info and I am so happy you have a job now. If its not too much trouble, could you give me her info. I need to improve on my technical skills so that I can maybe sign up with some temp agencies. Just maybe, I'll get somethings in the summer when school is out.

Henrietta

Lucylegal in New York, New York

70 months ago

Thanks Henrietta for cheering me on. - She's in New York. Her website is www.legaltransitions.biz. Maybe she can teach you on-line? Anyhow, good luck. All you guys have been so helpful. It was comforting to me knowing I wasn't alone in my job quest.

vega in Hollywood, Florida

69 months ago

I have just read in the newspaper that the good news for workers 50 and older is that job opportunities are expected to only get better. The aging U.S. workforce is retiring in high numbers, and the shortage of experienced workers is fueling a possitive outlook for mature workers who need or want to continue working. Projections show that as soon as next year, nearly one in three workers in the United States will be over the age of 50. They also refers to the EXPERIENCE of course it counts. Experience and skills gained from a long work history. But of course, I wouldn't really wait until next year to be there!!! I also lost my job and still 4 month searching.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Annie2 in Naperville, Illinois

69 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Employers feel older workers are expensive. They don't like experience, especially if they determine the worker knows more about the job than they do.

Employers can care less about experience, especially if it exceeds certain levels. Have you ever heard the expression, "overqualified"? It's employer secret code for an overage candidate.

I don't buy any of that article.

I am living proof about older workers (57)costing more for the employers. Situaltions out of my control caused me to have surgery every year for 3 years, time off for a murder trial of a family member, plus counseling, passings of 2 family members shortly thereafter, plus legal problems with a 20 year old son.

Costly, yes, but at every opportunity I was attending every training course offered, worked many unpaid overtime hours, etc..

Lost my job too last September, and am still searching. It is much harder than ever before. They know what we are worth and don't want to take chances with the over-qualified. We are not readily to be molded to their likeing, and also are very social outside the workplace with each other.

I really pray for help with this situation, as the unemployment dollars will run out soon. I would suggest AARP or a local CC college for programs that can help us.

LindaM in Barrington, Illinois

69 months ago

This situation bites!

Leslie in Cherry Hill, New Jersey

69 months ago

I couldn't agree with you more....this week would have been 1 year with a company. They just hired someone 4 weeks ago.... and I'm the one they cut. I'm 53, a single mom of 2 teenage boys. I have a very strong work ethic and was very dedicated and definately went the extra yard and then some....and they let me go!!! AND the problem with hiring managers is they too are young.....

69 months ago

Just curious -- is there any chance you can ask them WHY they let you go? Or, what did they tell you the reason was when they announced they were letting you go?

They obviously can't say age, so I'm curious how they covered for it, if that's in fact why they did it. Sorry to hear of your loss.

I'm out now over a year myself, fortunately on another unemployment extension which just kicked in in late February. I keep trying to change industries (from legal to exec admin) but that doesn't seem to be happening & I don't know why or how to fix it (this is NOT an opening for folks to come in w/ work at home ads, Google or EBay for profit ads or franchise pitches.)

What I'm trying to focus on is applying in small arenas where the pool of applicants will be smaller & therefore less competition.

69 months ago

Karen S, in NYC (Brooklyn resident) in Brooklyn, New York said: Just curious -- is there any chance you can ask them WHY they let you go? Or, what did they tell you the reason was when they announced they were letting you go?

They obviously can't say age, so I'm curious how they covered for it, if that's in fact why they did it. Sorry to hear of your loss.

I'm out now over a year myself, fortunately on another unemployment extension which just kicked in in late February. I keep trying to change industries (from legal to exec admin) but that doesn't seem to be happening & I don't know why or how to fix it (this is NOT an opening for folks to come in w/ work at home ads, Google or EBay for profit ads or franchise pitches.)

What I'm trying to focus on is applying in small arenas where the pool of applicants will be smaller & therefore less competition.

They just told me they were downsizing and I'm out.... no REAL reason....but I truly suspect age discrimination. I always heard what I great job I was doing, how I go the extra yard....how I put a lot of thought into the projects I worked on.....Never anything negative! So this is why I'm thinking it's my age. It's just there's no way to prove it.

69 months ago

Could it actually BE a downsizing, they do happen legitimately as well. But as you said, either way, it's not proveable, that's why I think age discrimination laws are such a waste; they seem largely unenforceable.

The person upthread, I think she's called Displaced Legal who's all steamed up about this (age discrimnination) & wanted to take action & get it enforced, I ask please HOW?

If it were enforceable, I'd sure lend my support, but as I said upthread, so much employment is 'at will' & therefore fireable for any & all causes, w/ or w/out reason. Pretty much leaves us w/ hands tied.

Annie2 in Glen Ellyn, Illinois

69 months ago

Actually, yes they really did cover their backs. I was supporting a marketing team of 7 plus 4 higher execs. Then the woman supporting the management team of 8 plus 4 execs moved to a different department. Well, since we did a lot of the same work, her team was added to my responsibility. No extra money or help offered. None of them were over 35. Needless to say, her system was not as organized as mine which led to problems to resolve, etc.

As I mentioned before, the various health issues arrised, as well as the fact that someone also revealed that I was on the transplant list for a liver...so that was also an issue altho there is no proof!

Thanks to all for your responses. I will keep an eye on the forum too.

69 months ago

Thanks for the comment.....It is what it is....Good luck to all in this boat....Let's all hope "Change" will happen soon!

69 months ago

Leslie in Cherry Hill, New Jersey said: I couldn't agree with you more....this week would have been 1 year with a company. They just hired someone 4 weeks ago.... and I'm the one they cut. I'm 53, a single mom of 2 teenage boys. I have a very strong work ethic and was very dedicated and definately went the extra yard and then some....and they let me go!!! AND the problem with hiring managers is they too are young.....

If they let you go, and you know for fact they replaced you with someone else, and they had nothing but good things to say about you, then go see an attorney. There are laws for age discrimination - and it's time we started using them. They don't work unless we use them.

Texas Downsizings - Help in Frisco, Texas

69 months ago

Hire American Citizens

I just want to make certain that international people coming to the US for jobs and others who think Texas must be the Bonanza know the following:

Dallas-Ft. Worth is now officially 7.1 unemployment which is higher than the rest of the state.

If and until the US is able to fully employee it's own citizens, Please Stop Coming to the US for Jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Texas Downsizings - Help in Frisco, Texas

69 months ago

And to all of the well educated people from India who come here for technical jobs.

We have plenty of technical people who are well educated to fill these jobs.
Please stop taking our professional level jobs. Your cheap labor. That it.

For all of the people from various countries including India who bring their companies to American and open a division here but then only hire people from India to fill the jobs.
Shame on YOU!

Hire American or stay in your home country.
Please

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

I agree. To our great leader(s) and corporate bigshots who think/thought that foreign cheap labor is the way to go, YOU put us down this road. You deserve for your corporate profits to disentegrate to pennies. You sureashell do not deserve your f'g year-end fat bonusus. Just as we are, you are also paying a price for your greediness.

69 months ago

A BIG PAT ON THE BACK FOR YOU! So often when you have to call a company for some kind of customer service, when you finally get through to a live speaking person you can hardly understand what they are saying. You are correct in saying they are from India or that Region. Don't get me wrong, I am not looking for that kind of telephone job, but somehow you are correct in the fact that our foreign residents seem to get positions that we can't even get an interview for. Also the competition for jobs between the young people and the "senior citizens" are inpossible. I know ther has been alot of talk fabout this problem so I will not go on about it. I am just 61 and I still need to work. I have been unemployed since May 2008.
I have gone through all the phases, the anxity in the beginning, the agressiveness to get that resume out there, and the waiting. Now the depression is setting in and unemployment will run out soon. I know it's bad out there for everyone, but we should be able to work in America since we are Americans, but, we are competeing on so many levels it's hard to know how to even get a phone call that someone in interested in you.
Good luck to all of us who are fighting the battle one way or another,

Carolg in Far Rockaway, New York

67 months ago

LucyLegal in Forest Hills, New York said: Several months ago I posted here that I was going to meet with a tutor who said she'd teach me how to use Word the way it's used in law firms. Her name is Cheryl Cuddeback. I did eventually meet with her. She showed me a hands-on Word Test that I've seen before but could never get through it. She showed me step by step how to format it. Now, today, I can. Plus I'm more familiar with things like section breaks and styles. I eventually started getting more temp assignments and even one working as a temporary word processor! I was shocked.

But the best news of all is I'll be working as a full time secretary starting Feb. 23rd. I can't tell you how helpful this site has been. It's helped me during a pretty rough time. I never thought I would get a job, especially in this economy. I'll keep you posted.

Car

Carolg in Far Rockaway, New York

67 months ago

Dear LucyLegal:

I saw your posting on Indeed.com. I am semi-retired, 65 years old, semi-retired and going out of mind with boredom. Although I have experience with Word and Excel, I was intrigued by your posting and would love to learn how to format legal documents (in hopes of possibly getting some temp work). How much does LucyLegal charge?
I live in New York City and would like to know where her classes are located.

I reply would be greatly appreciated. My e-mail address is dgreenspan@earthlink.net

Marke in Schaumburg, Illinois

61 months ago

I don't know if employers are looking for education, experience and skills and see how low you are willing to work for. I had a phone interview recently asking what the lowest I would be happy with. That was right after I told her the salary range I wanted. She thogutht that I would lower my "price" after I already gave a range. Well I never heard anything more, so I guess I wasn't the lowest "Price" candidate. How sad.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.