Admin Survey

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

Jossie Wassly in Anaheim, California

58 months ago

Now that unemployment is 10.2% it is getting harder for all of us to land a new job. Lets take a survey.

How long have you been out of work?

How many interviews have you been on since?

Of those how many asked you to come back for a second interview?

Have you had any offers? Even if you turned them down due to low salary or other reasons.

Me:

I have been out 6 months

I have been on 5 interviews

No second interviews or offers

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Laid off in CT

58 months ago

I have been off since May. I had one temp job for a few weeks. And, I have had a good amount of interviews for both contract and perm jobs.

Today I had an interview, and they gave me a homework assignment. I was shocked it was a financial analysis to be done in Excel, then I had to present the results in Powerpoint. The language in the instructions was writen in, company lingo, and confusing.

By the time it was all done, it was 12 pages. I had to email it back before a 2nd interview could be scheduled.

And, who knows if I even did it correctly. I tried my best. but that is certainly a new method to give home work.

I guess these HR people don't realize not everyone has a home computer with all the current softwares on it. Or, that someone could actually have some one else do the work.

I did it myself, and it was challenging. The job was a lower paying job as an AA.

I guess they want to have the admins. now be Business Analysts and pay low money.

Pecanpie in Hartford, Connecticut

54 months ago

To date, out of work 4 months with the exception of a part-time position.
Two interviews for temp positions (they contacted me, i.e., I did not respond to an advertisement.)
Found seasonal employment in Dec. AND have been offered some temporary administrative work.
Also 3 telephone interviews for direct hire positions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Getting to the breaking point in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

54 months ago

I have not had any interviews. Keep getting calls for Bull. As a matter if fact I can't even get any phone calls or a job at Loews or any retail establishments.

Iv'e only been out for three months but like so many other people I now have 3 going on 4 months of bills piling up I have to worry about.

I have never had these many problems getting a job.

Office Queen in West Palm Beach, Florida

54 months ago

Hi Getting to the breaking point. I have to agree with you, I've also never had such a hard time getting a job. I applied for retail stores too, no response. I've been out of work for 2 years and 4 months, temping here and there whenever there is any work and that is very scarce. I went back to school, taking up Graphic Design. Don't give up, keep the faith and pray alot. Try to keep busy, it always works. I can relate to you, these are very hard times, but try to keep a positive attitude. My only source of income is unemployment, hopefully will be getting the next extension. My husband cannot work right now, tried to put up a business, but as you know the market is very slow. I'll be praying for you. Take care.

Marina128 in Port Washington, Wisconsin

53 months ago

I have been out of work for 9 months. I had more interviews in Oct & Nov of 2009 than I have been on the last few months. It is getting worse instead of better. The jobs listed on the boards are mostly from recruiters who want you to come in test and don't have anything for you. Robert Half has temp jobs for the wages of McDonalds. Maybe I can get a summer job at the zoo and talk to the animals, that is just like talking to some of the employers who interview today.

Laid off Connecticut in Norwalk, Connecticut

53 months ago

I've been out of work since May 09. Since then I have had over 30 interviews, and have worked for Technical agencies as a project coordinator. I had one job for 2 weeks, one for 8 weeks and I just started a new one for 3 mos.

I've been stood up by major companies for interviews after they called me for the interview, had manager's do, "no shows", etc. All I can say is don't give up. It's hard and it's scary. But, if we give up on finding perm jobs, it will only be worse. I think the way to go now is contact, but not for the cheap agents.

Learn MS Project (if you don't know it already) and market yourself as a Proj. Coordinator. There are some opportunities in the IT Proj. area. Just an idea.

I worked in IT for 15 years, and then invested some time in learning MS Proj, and read some books. It pays better then the regular admin. jobs.

Also, list with all agencies and find out what your market is paying. Remember, the agents want to make money on you. Only work with the ones that do a big business, and are located near a corp. area.

None of us can give up. So, hang in there, and be strong.

Laid off Connecticut in Norwalk, Connecticut

53 months ago

Here's my summary:

Over 30 interviews Frin May to now. After sending out hundreds of resumes, and making calls.

5 2nd's

3 contract jobs

Many low salary quotes for very challenging jobs

53 months ago

I just wanted to say to everyone here - it's not that I thought I was the only one but I had no idea of just how many Administrative workers were having so many challenges. Some very similar to mine. I appreciate the words of encouragement and the not giving up attitude which is definitely needed at this time. I agree with some of you that times like this call for a career change. I am in school and have been taking courses online for two years now and still going. My thing is paying the bills until I finish and even then my degree will not guarantee anything. But heres to keeping your head up and rolling with the punches. Good luck to everyone.

Brenda in San Jose, California

53 months ago

I have been out of work for 2 months and I've worked a couple of temp assignments which were low pay and 7 hrs total combined. It is tremendously hard finding work and my former employer embellished the reason I was let go to EDD and I was denied. You know what happened next, yes, lost my home and now homeless. I did file an appeal and mailed it to EDD the same day I received the denial. I'm still waiting for that letter stating the date and time of my appeal (30 days as of today). I have received calls from temp agencies on jobs they are trying to fill and believe me, I'm sending my resume to them as fast as I can. I'm praying and trying my best to keep a positive attitude but it isn't easy, especially when you don't have ANY income at this time. But I believe and know GOD will fix this and bring me higher than I was ever before because I can only go UP!!!

Barbara in Saint Charles, Illinois

53 months ago

Considering how hard it is to even get an interview in these hard times, I think the majority of us are keeping it together fairly well. I've sold my jewelery, my mother's and father's grandparents, well you get the idea, sold my car and anything else I can get my hands on. I've been out of work for 2 years so my unemployment is coming to an end and I'm damn scared for what's ahead for me. I've sent hundreds of resumes out, getting only one rejection and never hearing back from any other employers. I have to laugh because I need to keep my sanity and my spirits up. We all have to hang on and keep going because we really don't have a choice, do we? God bless you all and Good Luck!

Are You Serious in Denver, Colorado

53 months ago

Getting to the breaking point in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I have not had any interviews. Keep getting calls for Bull. As a matter if fact I can't even get any phone calls or a job at Loews or any retail establishments.

Iv'e only been out for three months but like so many other people I now have 3 going on 4 months of bills piling up I have to worry about.

Hi there! I sympathize with you! Try 2+ Years of being un-or underemployed and actively awaiting a serious job response and specifically, a significant raise in hourly pay wages to a)meet basic needs and b)pay bills. I have to agree with you when you say, "I have never had these many problems getting a (simple) job."

Then people around me, including relatives told me I had an attitude problem and "wasn't friendly". Those critics were silenced recently when A Birkman Test (used in workforce center facilities and also by US Military) was completed by me with flying colors and specifically noted that I was A)Friendly B)Ambitious and C)Self-Directed. Looks like these people will need to find other reasons why I'm not employed. I'm like, "Sorry, to disappoint you friends, but scientific work personality testing just doesn't lie. And also, I don't appreciate being blamed for mental problems of employers or their laziness and poor manners/lack of follow through/failure to participate in a feedback loop."

Are You Serious in Denver, Colorado

53 months ago

Getting to the breaking point in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I have not had any interviews. Keep getting calls for Bull. As a matter if fact I can't even get any phone calls or a job at Loews or any retail establishments.

Hi there! I sympathize with you! Try 2+ Years of being un-or underemployed and actively awaiting a serious job response and specifically, a significant raise in hourly pay wages to a)meet basic needs and b)pay bills. I have to agree with you when you say, "I have never had these many problems getting a (simple) job."

Then people around me, including relatives told me I had an attitude problem and "wasn't friendly". Those critics were silenced recently when A Birkman Test (used in workforce center facilities and also by US Military) was completed by me with flying colors and specifically noted that I was A)Friendly B)Ambitious and C)Self-Directed. Looks like these people will need to find other reasons why I'm not employed. I'm like, "Sorry, to disappoint you friends, but scientific work personality testing just doesn't lie. And also, I don't appreciate being blamed for mental problems of employers or their laziness and poor manners/lack of follow through/failure to participate in a feedback loop."

I feel like 2010 is going to be a good year for me though! I worked retail seasonal this past year, but recently I've decided retail isn't good enough for me any more. Specifically, the abusive working environments, inappropriately low (below market value) hourly wages and supervisors with low self-esteem who don't stand up for employee rights and aren't assertive.

I just feel bound for bigger and better things!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

A friend of mine took a job at Ross and has to deal with exactly that. She complains everyday but I consistently tell her to appreciate that she at least has a job. But yes it is very hard for her to deal with what goes on there while only earning $7.50 an hour. Everyone is dealing with something at this time. Whether it be not working or working everyone is so overwhelmed. You have to know it will get better instead of wishing it to get worse.

ody in Fremont, California

53 months ago

I have been out of work for 4 months but didn't start actively looking until about 3 weeks ago. I have been on 4 interviews, no second interviews, and no offers.

Like many others have said, I usually am hired at the 1st or 2nd company I apply with.

All this, while rude and unresponsive HR people are happily employed. Hrmph.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Buddhamae in SANTA CLARA, California

53 months ago

Brenda in San Jose, California said: I have been out of work for 2 months and I've worked a couple of temp assignments which were low pay and 7 hrs total combined. It is tremendously hard finding work and my former employer embellished the reason I was let go to EDD and I was denied. You know what happened next, yes, lost my home and now homeless. I did file an appeal and mailed it to EDD the same day I received the denial. I'm still waiting for that letter stating the date and time of my appeal (30 days as of today). I have received calls from temp agencies on jobs they are trying to fill and believe me, I'm sending my resume to them as fast as I can. I'm praying and trying my best to keep a positive attitude but it isn't easy, especially when you don't have ANY income at this time. But I believe and know GOD will fix this and bring me higher than I was ever before because I can only go UP!!!

I called the office of appeals board regarding my appeal on the EDD denial, only to be told I would not be notified for 12 weeks!! I'm trying very hard to keep my spirit up by praying, praying, and more praying. Why are these companies allowed to request that you complete a form on ethnicity once you complete their online application? I've applied for administrative jobs I am eligible for only to check the requirements for the same job I applied for only this time the company has added a new requirement..."a Bachelors degree". I applied for an administrative clerk position at the Housing Authority of Santa Clara County only to see the position removed from the Indeed Job Board and reposted on a Military job board. How do you keep a positive attitude when this same scenario keeps happening to you? I ask GOD daily to show me, tell me, guide me, as well as save me. I've lost my home, now I guess I'll have to lose the few items I have left with no where to turn and I'm very tired.

ITPC in Plano, Texas

52 months ago

Does anyone know which areas has a high demand for PC jobs that pay at least $40K?? I'm needing a "real" PC job badly, along with 13 million other unemployed people.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.