Keeping candidates hanging

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

snowbirdee in Orem, Utah

60 months ago

I have been on a few interviews and it seems like they all play the same game. They initially tell me that they have a few more candidate to interview and are looking to make a decision quickly. When I call back to follow up the following week, they tell me that they are still doing interviews. They next followup another week or two later is the same response. Is that kind of a brush off?? Usually they would call only candidates that they would consider not every resume that comes in. Are they waiting till 2010 to put someone in place? What are my odds of getting a second interview if a month has gone by and they are still "interviewing" for the first round. Why don't they just come out and say that they going to delay hiring or the budget is not in place till January? Is this happening to you when you follow up? What do they say when you call to follow up on an interview?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Karina in Lake Villa, Illinois

59 months ago

Are you saying that I should not call back to follow up? If they are interested in me they will call weather it be a second interview or an offer? I did make a follow up call to an interview I had a couple of months ago, and the lady I interviewed was very cold on the phone, she told me that the position was already filled about the same time that I went for that interview, and they told me that they had interviews set up the next few days after mine. It was a small office so I don't think she had much experience with the interviewing process. Maybe that was good, as that could me that my "Fit" would not be good if they were to have hired me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

snowbirdee in Orem, Utah

59 months ago

TheInterviewDude in Seattle said: Sorry buddy... but similar to what Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said, you are getting the chaeff from that company.

I mean think about it: Lets say you were out shopping for a pair of shoes b/c the ones you were wearing were already torn to shreds. If you ran across a pair that was your size, comfortable, looked fantastic, AND were on sale would you shop around for a MONTH waiting around to see what other kinds of shoes came on the market? Hell no. You'd buy those suckers right away before someone else does... Well the same thing is happening to you right now with this employer... The company didnt see you as a good "fit" so they're still "shopping around" for a better candidate. Sucks, I know.

The way I see it, you got 2 options:

1) Keep interviewing the way you've been interviewing and apply somewhere else (and likely get rejected again) Or...
2) Work on changing the way you APPROACH the interview...

If you want me to elaborate, shoot me a reply on here. Otherwise, I wish you the best of luck on getting hired.

I think you gave a great example with buying shoes. Thank you. I am still applying to other positions and have another interview coming up next week. They say to never stop looking for a job till you have an offer. I never received and offer, so I never quit looking while waiting for the response that never comes. Please give me more advise on the approach that I should change. I always like to hear what others say, that is why this board is here to help each other. I also am just curious as to how employers think or at least somewhat get an idea. In this economy if an employer post an ad, I am sure he or she gets many resumes. Yes I am sure that some people apply for anything they see even if they do not qualify. But with hundreds of resumes I am sure that say 10% are worth calling for an interview, so out of those wouldn't at least one candidate have

snowbirdee in Orem, Utah

59 months ago

what it takes to get hired? And if so why doesn't the employer just say that we went with another candidate that more closly matched what we were looking for? I don't expect to be the top candiate each time (but ideally I would like to be). To me it seems like in your shoe example, I love the shoes, I really would like to buy them, but my budget is tight and at the present time I don't have the funds to buy it, but maybe if the economy gets better, then next month, when my sales are better. What is you take on this?

snowbirdee in Orem, Utah

59 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: IMO you are being given the brushoff. Outfits who pull this routine are too gutless to say outright you've been rejected. Too much time has gone by for them to schedule you for a second interview. If I were you, I'd just move on to the next opportunity.

One cannot expect every company to which one sends resumes to respond. But it's totally unprofessional, and inconsiderate and discourteous, for companies not to follow-up after in-person, in-office interviews.

Good luck with your job search.

Thank you for your advise, I agree with you, but why doesn't the employer just say that they are considering another with a better match. Which probably is more believable even if it is not the realy reason. They were willing to work for less (based on the salary expectations they sent in with their cover letter) or some other reason.

TheInterviewDude in Seattle

59 months ago

You gotta give up your email to sign up, but trust me its worth it. This newsletter goes in-depth with talking about the employer's PSYCHOLOGY and what sorts of mental triggers get pulled when they make their hiring decisions. Very interesting stuff (in my opinion anyway).

Out of curiosity, can you tell me a little bit about how your interview went? What happened during the interview (step-by-step)?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

snowbirdee in Orem, Utah

59 months ago

In the interviews it starts out with a tell me about yourself, which I recap my previous jobs. Some of the interviews they ask a lot of behavior kind of questions like tell me about a time when you had multiple assignments from managers how did you prioritize. I analyze which has higher priority and gave an example of one manager going on a business trip the next day, he needed my powerpoint presentation by close of business today, and the other gave me a task, but told me that by the end of the week was fine. Pushy salesperson that the director does not want to talk to, what do you do? I tell them that he is out of town, and try to see if I can assist them. Sometimes they ask me to rate my software skills, and what would my former boss say about me if they were to call them? Reliable & dependable, as I was asked to come in early a few times so a client could pick up their files before heading to the office on the way in. Ends like this: We just started the interview process and will get back to you next week, and a few times, I see that same ad repost instead of them calling me for a second interview.

snowbirdee in Orem, Utah

59 months ago

In admin roles most have the basics such as Word, Excel & Powerpoint, which are transferable to any company or industry. I have planned company events that sometimes included other branch offices and travel. Each of my jobs were a different industry and even when I apply to jobs now most are in a different industry.

When both are managers, I let the other know what I have on my plate, and just keeping the boss informed rule does the trick, as he is aware of the situation and it is not urgent.

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

59 months ago

I always left them in better shape!!! - because the position was in such awful shape before I started. And I'm not kidding. But as a legal assistant, for some reasons, those jerks don't seem to see it.

Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, California

59 months ago

I applied and interviewed for a position almost 2 months ago. They told me that they were still interviewing when I called to follow up. Now they reposted that postion as entry level. They are looking for cheap labor. That is why I was never called.

Janet in Sherman Oaks, California

56 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Not a good idea. Many things can happen if you call, with none of them being good. For one thing, you could be pushed off to voicemail. Your call is not returned. So you call again. You're pushed off to voicemail again; your call is not returned again, ad infinitum. Not only does that frustrate you, it antagonizes HR and/or the hiring manager.

Or your unexpected call could reach HR/hiring manager at the worst possible time - for that person(s). You may get a polite no-decision-made-yet response. Or you could get an I'm busy-I'll-call-you-in-an-hour call, which never comes. Or you may get a snarling response because so many other candidates have called to follow up. In any case, you have not furthered your cause. Some companies even keep track of candidate followup calls and nix those who make those calls.

Forget about the job if you don't hear anything after ten to fifteen working days. In the meantime, I agree with applying again for the next vacant position. Why not? But DO NOT place followup calls, as I have written, above, if you plan to try that company again. You don't want to wear out your welcome.

This one is tuff. I went to an agency before who told me to always follow-up with a thank you letter and a phone call to show you are interested. Although after one time call just leave it alone so you don't appear to be a stalker.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.