MS Excel: How proficient is proficient?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Mk in Chicago, Illinois

81 months ago

I am thinking about becoming an AA, and have been working on my skills in MS Excel. I was wondering if the experienced Administrative Assistants out there could answer the following questions:

1. What skills and abilities must you have in order to be considered proficient in Excel? Good at Excel? Excellent at it?
2. How often do you use Excel in your duties, and for what main purposes?
3. Do you have to be a whiz at writing advanced formulas?

Please advise. I am a certified teacher, but I'm really interested in shifting gears and learning more about the business industry, so I think I'd like to be an AA. I don't want to embarrass myself or misrepresent my credentials until I'm truly proficient at Excel, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mk

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Patricia in Toronto, Ontario

81 months ago

It would depend on the position. I am an AA in a legal firm and I use Excel very little. I just need basic skills in Excel to perform my job. I would think an AA in an accounting firm would need more advanced skills, it just really depends on the position. That is a good question that you can ask in the interview though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Annette in Kingwood, Texas

80 months ago

I am an AA for tax professionals. The skills that I needed were the basic excel skills and also using Subtotals. I don't use any complex formulas but do use sums - basic formulas. I think it will depend on your job duties. For over 10 years I have worked in several places as an AA and this is the first time I've had to use Subtotals. It may be a good idea to ask during an interview and tell them you're willing to learn it. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SOJ in Indianapolis, Indiana

43 months ago

Nala in Merrillville, Indiana said: I went to school for Executive AA and we were trained in advanced excel. For example, you should be able to insert charts, graphs, and link excel sheets. Of course, you would need to do the basic stuff too. You can purchase an advanced excel workbook from any book store. Good luck!

What are you currently doing for employment?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

blondie in Littleton, Colorado

37 months ago

if i need to be proficient in excel what does that mean?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

WynixQueen in Marblehead, Massachusetts

26 months ago

blondie in Littleton, Colorado said: if i need to be proficient in excel what does that mean?

I currently work as an Executive Assistant and use Excel constantly.

First, I would say, to be proficient in Excel you have to know formulas, graphs, etc. as mentioned by SOJ. Furthermore, these things can be fairly easy to learn, but being good at math is certainly a plus. Don't be discouraged if you feel overwhelmed. Practice always makes perfect. Most community colleges offer very affordable classes for the novice, advanced user as well as intermediate. Try to check that out in your area.

Also as mentioned, chemistry between the EA and C-level exec is almost more important than anything mentioned.

Hope this helps. Email me at iwana@yahoo.com if you want to discuss anything further.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.