MS Excel: How proficient is proficient?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Mk in Chicago, Illinois

89 months ago

I am thinking about becoming an AA, and have been working on my skills in MS Excel. I was wondering if the experienced Administrative Assistants out there could answer the following questions:

1. What skills and abilities must you have in order to be considered proficient in Excel? Good at Excel? Excellent at it?
2. How often do you use Excel in your duties, and for what main purposes?
3. Do you have to be a whiz at writing advanced formulas?

Please advise. I am a certified teacher, but I'm really interested in shifting gears and learning more about the business industry, so I think I'd like to be an AA. I don't want to embarrass myself or misrepresent my credentials until I'm truly proficient at Excel, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mk

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Patricia in Toronto, Ontario

89 months ago

It would depend on the position. I am an AA in a legal firm and I use Excel very little. I just need basic skills in Excel to perform my job. I would think an AA in an accounting firm would need more advanced skills, it just really depends on the position. That is a good question that you can ask in the interview though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Annette in Kingwood, Texas

89 months ago

I am an AA for tax professionals. The skills that I needed were the basic excel skills and also using Subtotals. I don't use any complex formulas but do use sums - basic formulas. I think it will depend on your job duties. For over 10 years I have worked in several places as an AA and this is the first time I've had to use Subtotals. It may be a good idea to ask during an interview and tell them you're willing to learn it. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.