Goals for Admin Asst

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Denise

87 months ago

hi,

what are the goals of a admin assistant?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (333) / No (45) Reply - Report abuse

Leona in Fort Worth, Texas

87 months ago

Professional goals? Personal goals? Please clarify your question.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Denise

87 months ago

would be good to have both. thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Patricia

87 months ago

If you are thinking about goals in an interview question here is a suggestion from a Dalhousie University site:
"(12) What are your long-range goals:
The interviewer is trying to find out whether this position fits in with your long term plans. The items to stress are that you like the company/organization, you hope to become a valuable employee, and that you hope you will be in a role which challenges you and enables you to make an effective contribution to the company.
Even if you know beforehand that the organization has opportunities for advancement and encourages it, be cautious about making statements concerning your desire for promotion. Excessive enthusiasm for advancement can be misinterpreted as dissatisfaction with the job you are starting in or as future problem competition."

Possible Responses To Some Typical Interview Questions, staffingservices.dal.ca/Interview%20Preparation/Responses.php, (accessed October 17, 2007)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

gaddodanquah@yahoo.com in Accra, Ghana

61 months ago

I need to do my annual review and my manager has requested that I creat my own goals to be graded upon.

I am finding it difficult to find any goals that are measurable by some means other than to be evaluated by the reviewer.

Any goal suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (218) / No (37) Reply - Report abuse

Patricia in Ottawa, Ontario

60 months ago

Getting your head around goals is always difficult I find, but once you get started it is not too bad. Do you have any goals that you have set for yourself in your position? My goal is to support my boss to best of my ability and I will do that by... then set out how you will accomplish it and by when. Things like setting up a workable filing system both hard copy and electronic, setting up a bring-forward system to ensure things are kept track of, streamlining the processes in the office to be more efficient by making checklists, etc. You can also have a goal related to your boss's or the organization's goals, for example one of my organization's goals is to grow the business and deliver value. To set a goal based on that as an assistant you can set a goal to promote excellence by providing the best quality product and then set out how you will do that, for example, by proofreading your work and paying attention to detail.
I hope this is helpful. Visit me on my blog at secretaryhelpline.blogspot.com/ I try to give helpful tips for the office administrative assistant.
Patricia

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (68) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Karen Porter of The Effective Admin in Savannah, Georgia

47 months ago

Here are two guidelines to keep in mind when creating goals: 1) "Goals" and "vision" are not the same thing; 2) you "achieve" goals, you don't "do" them. So don't confuse goals with tasks or your to-do list (or confuse the vision you're trying to reach with your goals to reach it).

Also, the goals of an admin assistant will vary per individual. Every administrative professional is a different person doing a different job in a different company. There is no "one size fits all" admins in regard to any type of goals.

See a description of The Effective Admin goal setting guide for administrative assistants and executives assistants here:
www.admin-ezine.com/administrative-assistant-goals.htm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.