Help ! Office paper organization for an executive

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Franny in Varennes, Quebec

50 months ago

I am out of solutions to help my executive with the piles of papers in his office. I need suggestions, please !

Being extremely busy, there is very little time for this executive to do all he wants to do. He will create piles of work on his desk, on his meeting table, window ledge, several briefcases and will even place them on the floor. We will go over urgent matters and we manage to meet deadlines. He starts really early in the morning and stays after I have left but never gets to the bottom of all that work. He is interested in everything, attends conferences, external board meetings and wants to keep notes, meeting documents and all reports. He is hardworking and intelligent but sometimes I wonder if he is not a bit of a procrastinator? Hard to say, and in his defense, his agenda is filled with meetings from morning to night (I know)and he really does not have time to clean up. One meeting ends another one starts- often he doesn't even have time to get back to the office in between. We've discussed it many times and once in a blue moon, when he has a chance, he will sort some of his papers and clean some of his office. Obviously the state of his office is not his first priority-the work is. From time to time, I will simply go through piles and clean up his office to the best of my knowledge of what documents I believe I can file or get rid of but I seldom have the time to make a significant difference and he looks for files on his return. I have many years experience as an Assistant to executives and am very resourceful but would need enlightment. So far, I have created sections in his office for upcoming meetings, documents to read, follow-ups, calls to make, reference documents, various services but that just isn't enough. I don't know what actions items he requires to do with each file when he sets them aside and we don't have time to discuss it or review it.

Any advice for me ?

Assistant to a busy Executive

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mary in tampa in Chicago, Illinois

50 months ago

Get him a stenographer pad. Tape the post-it-notes in there (taped). Get him a set of Stackables, label them, for meetings, super important, important, needs attention, client, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

catalpa in Moncton, New Brunswick

50 months ago

Get and read this book: "Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity" by David Allen.
Check out DA's website: www.davidco.com
Summarize the GTD concepts for your boss and see if he would be willing to try them.
Best of luck! :-)
Like your boss, I too am "interested in everything" and have papers from here to eternity. I am just beginning to try applying GTD to my life and have high hopes for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

F in Montreal, Quebec

50 months ago

catalpa in Moncton, New Brunswick said: Get and read this book: "Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity" by David Allen.
Check out DA's website: www.davidco.com
Summarize the GTD concepts for your boss and see if he would be willing to try them.
Best of luck! :-)
Like your boss, I too am "interested in everything" and have papers from here to eternity. I am just beginning to try applying GTD to my life and have high hopes for it.

Thank you Catalpa. Your suggestion sounds really good and the book seems familiar. Indeed, he actually has that very book in his office and has highlighed parts. I may have read it myself but I will go through it and see if I missed anything or if anything helps. I much appreciate your comment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.