Experienced in diverse job history

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

CherylinHalvorsen in Clarksville, Tennessee

78 months ago

I have 2 degrees and it seems like most of the administrative assistant jobs only require HS or GED and several years expereience.

I have a great deal of experience doing clerical work, etc. however, that 15 years ago. I also have medical experience, but again that was 15 years ago.

Where do I find administrative assistant employement that is willing to pay what I need to live on?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Scarlett

78 months ago

It's funny because where I live (NYC), you can't get an administrative assistant job without at least one degree. I know because even though I have over 30 years of solid experience and good computer skills, I don't have a degree and therefore can't find a job. Here in New York City, it seems like you need a degree just to answer the phone and file paperwork.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Richard Rinyai in Toronto, Ontario

78 months ago

I agree. That's how government works as well. You have to have no skills and you can get a job.

To become a garbage collector, you need a high school diploma. I don't see the point for it.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks,

Richard Rinyai
www.theprofessionalassistant.net

June in Windham, Ohio

78 months ago

Hello again Denver, I've left the receptionists and am over here joining the administrative assistant comments.

Your comment to Cheryl in Tennessee concerning "removing all date and time references from your resume" is a good idea. I'm going to do that!

Now here's another puzzle for you to solve. This age thing is a real problem for the boomers and beyond. I look and act at least twenty years younger than I am, but when I go to an agency or apply at a company, the first thing they throw at me is an application to fully complete and a request for my driver's license. Now I'm in trouble, for plastered on that driver's license is my birthdate. No hiding there! You know they are not going to consider me when they see THAT...regardless of how much experience I have, especially if the interviewer is fresh out of college and considers anyone over 35 a relic. I don't care what they say about job discrimination - it's out there? We just can't always prove it!

Any comments?

Vy in Jacksonville, Florida

77 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: June in Windham, Ohio: "Your comment to Cheryl in Tennessee concerning 'removing all date and time references from your resume' is a good idea. I'm going to do that!"

....bearing in mind, of course, that your resume is designed primarily to get you past the HR gatekeeper coneheads and to the interview. You're on your own at that point and you may have to answer chronological questions.

"[W]hen I go to an agency or apply at a company, the first thing they throw at me is an application to fully complete and a request for my driver's license. Now I'm in trouble, for plastered on that driver's license is my birthdate. No hiding there!"

Not necessarily. Unless you're applying for a driving job, why do they need your DL? You could try putting NA in the space on the app or put in "to be provided upon hire" or something like that. A headhunter has no need for your DL.

You can try the same thing with your Social. Put "to be provided upon hire" in the SSN space on the app. They don't need your Social to determine if you can do the job; they need it only for payroll and citizenship identification purposes (I realize some jobs require credit checks and your SSN is needed for the checks.). A Social makes you ripe for identity theft, etc., which an employer should understand. Ask why they need it if they become insistent. Then decide if you want to provide it.

"I don't care what they say about job discrimination - it's out there? We just can't always prove it!

"Any comments?"

Yeah, I have a comment. Anyone who does not believe there is age discrimination needs to get real. I hope to live long enough to see some these wiseass Gen X, etc. types who practice age discrimination experience it for themselves. Maybe then they'll learn humility.

Good luck with your efforts.[/QUOTE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

I am in the same boat with the age discrimination and diverse professional experiences. Please make a note that your SS# provides to an interviewer: your DOB/Year of your birth as well as the State and Regency you were born; bearing in mind nowadays an employer must provide you information stating they will do a background check of verification of employer and if they will do a credit check as well. Recently I have been faced with the devastation of "Prove It Test" with many of the staffing agency, and once I prove it and they say I scored high weeks no call,..WHY? ...But to noavail; the source of hidden age discrimination creeps in my thoughts!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

June in Windham, Ohio

77 months ago

With years of performing as an administrative assistant to several company presidents and VP's, my last company just collapsed due to bankruptcy,along with a succession of others. I'm stalemated with no job, and can't find one. I've got the age on me for sure, but I do not look any where near my age and the brain is still functioning...so what's the problem? I'm being overlooked for the associate and bachelor degrees out there because I don't have one. They're even demanding assocate degrees to answer the phones...how stupid is that? Because someone has an associate degree they know how to answer the phone? I don't think so! No age discrimination either, I'll betcha! RIGHT?

Oh well, I've pretty much given up the job search and am writing a book. Who knows, I may include a chapter or two about "the sport of looking for a job". They say "the pen is mightier than the sword", we'll find out, although I really haven't tried the sword yet! Success to you all!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joyce in Kansas City, Missouri

77 months ago

to June in Ohio. I agree. I have an AA Degree and Certified Professional Sec'y with over 20 years experience at the executive level. My job was "reassigned" and I've been looking for a new job for almost a year. I never thought it would be this difficult. I've resigned myself that I will never make anywhere near the salary I was making, maybe half, probably less. I don't think I was an AA all those years w/o good skills. I always thought a solid work history was a good thing - maybe not - it ages me and I don't deny that I'm near retirement. I've reduced my expenses by almost half and am living on unemployment + a small amount from retirement. Now that the shock has worn off, my hope is to get a job as a receptionist just to survive. I refuse to work at the level I was for less than half the pay. I think lots of age discrimination is at work here, but it will never be proven. Good luck to you and every other boomer AA.

Butterflykiss2384 in Cranston, Rhode Island

77 months ago

age discrimination seems to work both ways. I'm 23 years old and recently graduated from a community college for medical administrative program and a certificate in medical transcription. I've been on interviews where the interviewer has made comments about my age and even going so far as to ask my age which I know is illegal, but really what can you do? I can't say hey you can't ask me that, if I did I would definitely not get the job. I'm surprised that some of you are having so much trouble finding a position especially with your experience. Most ads in RI for secretaries want at least 2 years of experience and some ads are extremely rude. I actually saw one that said no need to reply if not experienced. Well ok, wouldn't want to work for your company anyways.

77 months ago

I have to agree that it does not appear that your senario is "aged-discrimination" , but prehaps a lack of "Assertiveness" on your part! At 23 years old there should be problems for you to get your feet in the door,.. Be Agressive! sell yourself! If you have never had a job you ought to know how to sell yourself,.. if you are a people person.

Paul Anderson in Kirkland, Washington

76 months ago

CherylinHalvorsen in Clarksville, Tennessee said: I have 2 degrees and it seems like most of the administrative assistant jobs only require HS or GED and several years expereience.

I have a great deal of experience doing clerical work, etc. however, that 15 years ago. I also have medical experience, but again that was 15 years ago.

Where do I find administrative assistant employement that is willing to pay what I need to live on?

Why are you looking at AA positions with two degrees? You can eaily start at Project Coordinator or similar titles (the pay is much higher). What you need is to define what is it that you're really good at? What is it that you love doing? Get clear on what you want. Define what it is that you need to live on. If that's your goal, at the best you'll only get that. Instead ask yourself a different question. How can I make three times what I need to live on so I can massively increase my savings?

You need a new peer group. Although I love that you are participating in these forums, the drawback is that you are being limited by people in the same belief (also salary) system. Get outside this box and start looking around. There are lots of position for your experience. I typically show admins how they can become project managers / business analysts in matters of weeks. Their salary goes from 12 - 20/hr to 50 - 80/hr in two/three months - that fast.

You need to talk to people that are higher than your salary/belief level. They'll show you the tricks/roads/strategies/shortcuts. These guys have been there and done that and can teach and show you how to do the same.

I went from making $5.15/hr to well over 6-figures by employing specific strategies over time. Resume, prospecting, advanced interviewing techniques, etc.

It's time for a change - let me know how I can help.
[Edited by Host] Contact info deleted

Please do not post Contact info in the forums.
If you would like to set up a profile please go here to log in
www.indeed.com/my/profile

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.