Relearning shorthand

Comments (1 to 50 of 51)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Anish Ansari in Ahmadabad, India

86 months ago

May I want to some other help for the Example type of Short hand eritting .
So please help me. given the example.
thank you

L. Erica Mims in Ithaca, New York

85 months ago

An extreme type of shorthand writing that I learned in college and in high school was Gregg method. The Gregg method used short forms for sounds. We also had to transcribe our work into sentences. We also learned types of punctuation. You can go to the website www.greggshorthand.com and their should be examples of books you can buy. Good luck.

Steve in Oakland, California

78 months ago

Please, all of you thinking of resurrecting written shorthand methods, please don't bother. What is in now is machine shorthand, touch shorthand, and closed-captioned based shorthand. Once you learn this skill and build your dictionaries, even only to about 120 WPM, you may go into many translation fields, admin fields, court, and the list just goes on and on. Please learn Computer Shorthand Theory and you'll soon be gainfully employed at your will, not theirs.

lainie815 in Brooklyn, New York

70 months ago

I take Pitman.
typing & shorthand 100wpm. Mac & pc

lainie

Jim in York, Pennsylvania

70 months ago

70 months ago

[QUOTE **

70 months ago

Jim in York, Pennsylvania said: OOOPPPPSSSSS! Typo!!!! Sorry about the "E" on "pleas." This is what ones gets for being up all night transcribing, after being in court all day. LOL

Nevermind. My edit did take. Now the posting regarding this typos appears. Oh, well.

70 months ago

Jim in York, Pennsylvania said: Nevermind. My edit did take. Now the posting regarding this typo appears. Oh, well.

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

70 months ago

Actually, James, an attorney would take a paralegal (not a secretary) to a deposition. I was a court reporter for ten years and a legal assistant for twenty years. My attorneys never took anyone along - because it was not billable. My attorneys always took their own notes. Many attorneys now take a laptop, or netbook, to depos - faster for keeping notes, saved and can't be lost.

Barbara in Lawrenceville, Georgia

69 months ago

Princess Sparkle in Birmingham, Alabama said: Gidget is it a job requirement? Otherwise there is virtually no demand for this skill that took me many years to learn.

What I suggest is getting some used shorthand books==there very well may be some in your library.

I use shorthand in my job every day. I'm an Executive Assistant to the President of a firm in downtown Atlanta who is in his early 40's, yet prefers to dictate all emails rather than reply himself, which takes too many hours out of his busy day. There still IS a need for this art!

69 months ago

Tony Bellomy in New York, New York said: Dear Group,

I am looking for an Executive Administrative Assistant who knows shorthand and can take dictation. My employer needs someone who can sit with him while he dictates emails and letters. There would, of course, be other duties. But these are the most important for him and I am having a very hard time finding someone. I have advertised on craigslist and found no one. I have looked for Sectretarial Schools in New York and found none. I have calls into Business Schools with Admininstrative Assistant programs and am waiting for calls back from placement offices to see if they even still teach shorthand! Can anyone here help?? Anyone looking for a full time job like this in the city? Or know anyone who is? Or know schools that still teach it?

Help if you can!!
Thanks.

I take shorthand every day and have worked for Presidents of large & small firms, who still dictate emails and don't want to be bothered wasting time answering emails. I'm interested in the position and I also tutor in shorthand if anyone is interested.

officequeen in Orland, Florida

69 months ago

Hi Barbara, I use to take speedwriting, but I haven't done it in sooo long, I am quite rusty, I may be able to take a crack at it, the only thing is, I live in west palm beach, florida. Let me know if you are still interested.

69 months ago

I used to live in Boynton Beach for 15 years back in the 80's to mid 90's. I don't do speedwriting but I just love shorthand and used to take it when I worked in Palm Beach County as well.

valentina in Raleigh, North Carolina

69 months ago

Barbara in Lawrenceville, Georgia said: I used to live in Boynton Beach for 15 years back in the 80's to mid 90's. I don't do speedwriting but I just love shorthand and used to take it when I worked in Palm Beach County as well.

I learned shorthand in the late 1970's in New Jersey. HOWEVER, nobody uses it now and it can only reinforce your age, IMHO, so I don't even MENTION it.

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

69 months ago

Shorthand is an outdated and obsolete office skill. It has practically gone the way of the dinosaur. How may office jobs today require the use of shorthand? Very little or none at all.

Barbara in Lilburn, Georgia

69 months ago

I know of at least 2 offices that use it... mine (Executive Assistant to the President -- and he's only 42!); and the Executive Assistant to Ted Turner, who dictates all replies to his emails as well as a monthly summarization report. Many people nowadays think that shorthand is obsolete; however it comes in very handy in everyday life... taking down directions by phone or other information that someone may give you since most people speak much faster than a person can write in longhand.

69 months ago

I agree with you... I don't indicate "shorthand" on my resume, however, it sure did come in handy at my job and the President whome I work for has said that it's a "lifesaver" in terms of letting him do other things rather than just answering emails (he gets over 100/day.)

Teresa in Yuma, Arizona

66 months ago

Donna Williams in Birmingham, Alabama said: I have notebooks of old style court reporting in the gregg shorthand. These are from my Mother's murder trial in 1954. I'd love to know the details of my Mother's death, as a child I was told very little. I have exhausted every resource to me. Does anyone have in interest in helping me to get these transcribed?

If you still need help, I am expert with the latest version of Gregg Shorthand, and also very familiar with the version taught in the 1950's. teresaalvarez@adelphia.net

66 months ago

Hi Donna,

I live in Atlanta, so you're not too far from me. I took Gregg shorthand in the 1950's and continue to use my shorthand to this day. I also have experience in transcribing court transcripts, police work, etc. I would be glad in helping you and transcribing them. You can email me at bh2281@yahoo.com

Barbara

66 months ago

Donna, I took Gregg shorthand back in the 50's and still use it today. I live in Atlanta so I'm not far from Birmingham, if you'd like me to help you transcribe it, I'd be happy to. Barbara bh2281@yahoo.com

Donna Williams in Birmingham, Alabama

66 months ago

Thank you so much for your reply, It is my life's dream to know the details of my mother's untimely death. I would be so happy if you can help me. I have the original steno pads from the trial.If you need more details, I'll give them to you.Again thank you so much.

66 months ago

Happy to help. I would need to be paid for my work, though... Have no idea what I would charge since I haven't seen how much work is involved. I do work fulltime during the week and with Christmas coming up, things are pretty hectic right now. You can email me at bh2281@yahoo.com and we can discuss further. We probably would need to meet somewhere along I20 which would be about half-way for each of us. Let's follow through with this conversation on my regular email address and we'll see how we can get this done for you.

Regards,
Barbara

Gail in Vancouver, Washington in Portland, Oregon

65 months ago

I went to business school in 1977, we learned speedwriting but as most have said, I haven't used it in years. I would like to relearn it though, but don't remember the name of it. It wasn't Gregg, I know that. It was what the Trend Business College was using then for secretarial degrees. Does anyone remember the name? I've Binged speedwriting and what I see on-line is not at all like what I learned. I used to be able to take dictation at 120 wpm. Can anyone help? Gail

Leanora Erica Mims in Ithaca, New York

65 months ago

It probably was Pittman

Gail in Vancouver, Washington in Portland, Oregon

65 months ago

Leanora Erica Mims in Ithaca, New York said: It probably was Pittman

Actually, I was just digging around in my hope chest, and came across my certificates of completion, and it was called Stenospeed Shorthand. But appreciate the help. Gail

Leanora Erica Mims in Ithaca, New York

65 months ago

Never heard of that course, glad that you found your certs.

Tanya Merch in Portland, Oregon

60 months ago

Regarding: The Gregg Writer Magazines

I have been looking for shorthand magazines on Ebay and other sites, but I don't know what's a fair price to pay.

Ebay has some for about $19.99 each, but doesn't have much. I found a site that sells a bunch for only $12.99, at www.itemsandstuff.com , does anyone have any input on whats a good price?

Barbara in Norcross, Georgia

60 months ago

I have a Gregg shorthand book that I found in a bookstore that sold used books. Since I've taken shorthand for 40 years and still use it today, I haven't lost the technique. Since they are difficult to find, I would say the price range you mention is fine. The problem with trying to learn shorthand through a book without a tutor/teacher is that the direction you begin the shorthand stroke matters as well as the angle of the stroke.

belle in Rome, Georgia

60 months ago

Donna Williams in Birmingham, Alabama said: I have notebooks of old style court reporting in the gregg shorthand. These are from my Mother's murder trial in 1954. I'd love to know the details of my Mother's death, as a child I was told very little. I have exhausted every resource to me. Does anyone have in interest in helping me to get these transcribed?

I would be willing to help you. I am rusty but I am not working right now and would be willing to try

AprilRaffel in Walnut Creek, California

58 months ago

Gidget said: I haven't used shorthand in many, many years and got pretty rusty at it. What would you suggest as the best way to improve and basically relearn shorthand. Also, I wasn't very good at it the first time; how could you possibly know the shorthand form of every word you might encounter?

I first learned shorthand in high school and took a refresher course at a community college. An easier way would be to the library and checkout a book or visit a community college bookstore and see if they have a book. I still have my GREGG Shorthand For Colleges Second Edition, but I am sure they are around somewhere. From there you can do what we did in school. Take a shorthand notepad (Target sells them) and do one Lesson each night by repeated the strokes. If they are easy, go on to the next Lesson, but we took one lessen per class and did homework. Each stroke would be done on one side of the page or the entire page if it wasn't easy for you. As we know, not all the words in our vocabulary will be in a GREGG Textbook, so you sound out each phonetic sound of the word and if possible incorporate any brief forms. I hope this helps out. Otherwise, just email me and I will be happy to answer any other questions. Shorthand always helped me in every work and school situation I ever had. Good Luck!

Lenny in Newton Center, Massachusetts

58 months ago

Traditional shorthand and speed writing methods are not popular any more because of the complexity and significant amount of time to master.

Simpler alternative systems such as EasyScript and MiniScript are English Grammar-based utilizing a small set of rules and a large volume of memorization is not required. They can be very quickly learned and used immediately.

For more info take a look at: www.easyscript.com.

Gloria Shahan in Austin, Texas

51 months ago

I am looking for an Executive Administrative Assistant who knows shorthand and can take dictation. My employer needs someone who can sit with him while he dictates emails and letters. There would, of course, be other duties. But these are the most important for him and I am having a very hard time finding someone. I have advertised on craigslist and found no one. I have looked for Sectretarial Schools in New York and found none. I have calls into Business Schools with Admininstrative Assistant programs and am waiting for calls back from placement offices to see if they even still teach shorthand! Can anyone here help?? Anyone looking for a full time job like this in the city? Or know anyone who is? Or know schools that still teach it?

Help if you can!!

Thanks.

Contact a Stenotype School - I took a year long course at the Stenotype Institute of Philaelphia and was able to attain high speeds. But the person would have to have a stenotype machine. Check local courts to see if there is someone who could do this.

I am looking for an Executive Administrative Assistant position and could do what your boss is looking for. Have a laptop computer available with a mouse and I could type what the boss is saying and, when finished, make any corrections and print. Another suggestion is for the boss to use a tape recorder and dictate into that. The assistant could transcribe later. However, you need fast typing speed - mine is 62 wpm.

I hope this will help.

Gloria Shahan
dicglosha@earthlink.net

I

If you need someone to take minutes at a meeting or what your boss wants to say, what about (1) have a tape recorder in the room and transcribe later or (2) use a laptop with a mouse and just type what your boss says and make corrections later. Of course, the person would have to type quckly.

Good luck.

lainie815@aol.com in Brooklyn, New York

51 months ago

Sure, Mr. Bellomy, if you need someone to take shorthand, feel free to contact me by email, here in NYC. I take Pittman & work on Mac and pc. Give yourself a good day. lainie

vicpark10@gmail.com in Dundee, Michigan

48 months ago

Gidget said: I haven't used shorthand in many, many years and got pretty rusty at it. What would you suggest as the best way to improve and basically relearn shorthand. Also, I wasn't very good at it the first time; how could you possibly know the shorthand form of every word you might encounter?

try greggs shorthand refresher. I still use it, just need more
speed. Also, if uncomfortable w/all vocabulary: use/create your own. ( the strokes for shorthand are just abb. for the word, or words). Good Luck!

piya in New Delhi, India

46 months ago

Barbara in Lilburn, Georgia said: Donna, I took Gregg shorthand back in the 50's and still use it today. I live in Atlanta so I'm not far from Birmingham, if you'd like me to help you transcribe it, I'd be happy to. Barbara bh2281@yahoo.com

do you know any site which is useful for me to improve my shorthand speed

piya in New Delhi, India

46 months ago

lainie815@aol.com in Brooklyn, New York said: I can help you. I am in NYC and I still use my Pitman shorthand. Typing and steno between 80-100wpm. Mac & IBM computer literate. lainie

how can you help us

46 months ago

you mail or dictate and i transcribe and send back via email?

Linnie in Southfield, Michigan

44 months ago

Help if you can!!
Thanks.

I learned Gregg shorthand (1-3)in high school where I attained a speed of 100. However, in collecge I was able to get up to 180. I still have my textbooks and will start practicing tonight. How much does this job pay? I can be reached at pc2u2friend@gmail.com.

MOSES in Palmer, Tennessee

44 months ago

JoAnn in Oak Creek, Wisconsin said: I did take shorthand a long number of years ago also and used it everyday. This is a dying art just like transcription, either by tape or digital and believe me, if you are going into an office where they require this, you can go to the local college or possibly high school and take classes for (not shorthand) but speedwriting. It is very similar to shorthand, but even faster and you can memorize more and faster because almost all the words are spelled phonetically. Even though speedwriting is not used very often, I learned this skill and it became useful to me and my boss when he was out of town and I had to take dictation over the phone and type a letter or document for him. I used it a number of times also when speaking to other people since you can't remember all the details when you are in a telephone conversation, therefore I used to take my notes in speedwriting and transcribe for memos to a file that way-a real timesaver. I wouldn't worry about having a hard time memorizing or being good at it now-times have changed and there are teachers out there on the college level or high school level that are really good at what they teach and they are very helpful too.
Those are my suggestions.

Other suggestions to get into the marketplace-see if you can take some short classes in Word, Excel, etc. at the high school or college level before you attempt anything else. It is computers, computers, computers no matter where you go.

Good luck and hope that this has helped you.

I GIVE FREE LESSONS IN SHORTHAND, GREGG SHORTHAND THAT IS, ON MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL, I HAVE ABOUT 30 VIDEOS UPLOADED ON IT, FROM A TO Z, WITH A NUMBER OF BRIEF FORMS ALSO. JUST GO TO THE YOUTUBE CHANNEL OF : moseseseseses, AND SEE MY UPLOADED LESSONS ON SHORTHAND.

MOSES in Palmer, Tennessee

44 months ago

Help if you can!!
Thanks.

I teach Gregg Shorthand, on my youtube channel of : moseseseseses. I have about 30 videos on it uploaded, and will continue uploading more videos in the future. I'm in the process of moving, but if you would like to afford yourself at leisure to check it out, please do so.

Barbara in Duluth, Georgia

44 months ago

Gee, Tony. I used to live in Northern NJ (Caldwell) and if I still lived there, I would apply for the position! :) I've taken shorthand throughout my career and continue to do so in my position working for the President/CEO of a firm in Atlanta. Amazing as it may seem, there are still some employers (CEOs mainly) who prefer dictating either over the phone while they're driving or at their office, rather than sitting behind a computer all day, responding to emails, etc. Did you know that Ted Turner's Exec. Asst. takes shorthand and that he dictates while on the road. Unfortunately, I've been told that there aren't any schools who teach it anymore. Sorry I can't be of more help. Barbara

44 months ago

Yes, Tony, I will be able to support you. I take Pitman Shorthand (about 100wpm and typing 90-100wpm) with Mac and pc proficiency. Employed by 2 media giants for 2 decades. Please contact me. I can work in Manhattan or wherever, and have an office also in a separate apartment. Thank you. And give yourself a good day. Elaine

Emmanuel in Banjul, Gambia

40 months ago

Help if you can!!
Thanks.

I hold the requisite qualifications in Pitman/RSA and expertise to do the job.

Please contact me if the vacancy is not yet filled.

Sincerely

Emmanuel

gillians in Los Angeles, California

36 months ago

I am a legal secretary and of the old school. I am from England and did Pitmans shorthand at College years back. I have been in LA for about 25 years and oddly enough am on a work assignment at a law firm and have been taking SHORTHAND notes and drafting letters and stuff and taking dictation from some Gmail thing. I have not used it in years but now am interested in doing it again. Anybody out there need me?

Lorrie in Anonymous Proxy

23 months ago

Barbara in Lawrenceville, Georgia said: I take shorthand every day and have worked for Presidents of large & small firms, who still dictate emails and don't want to be bothered wasting time answering emails. I'm interested in the position and I also tutor in shorthand if anyone is interested.

Hi, which version of shorthand do you teach?

lorr1e1 in South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom

23 months ago

gillians in Los Angeles, California said: I am a legal secretary and of the old school. I am from England and did Pitmans shorthand at College years back. I have been in LA for about 25 years and oddly enough am on a work assignment at a law firm and have been taking SHORTHAND notes and drafting letters and stuff and taking dictation from some Gmail thing. I have not used it in years but now am interested in doing it again. Anybody out there need me?

I'm looking to learn shorthand myself, not easy to find someone to help me start out, there are so many books out there but they seem hard to follow.

i suppose you learned Pitman's own shorthand, nowadays they dropped it in favour of Teeline. Why do you think you need to retrain, can you just take out one of the books you learned from and learn from that, or have you forgotten a lot of it.

i'm 35 and at college they stopped teaching it the year before, to be honest i havent had much of a need to use it but some employers have asked in passing whether i have it, i just think its and extra skill meaning that there some additional jobs that are open to you and that's why I am going to learn it.

Nadia Fuller in Roseville, Michigan

13 months ago

L. Erica Mims in Ithaca, New York said: The best shorthand book is Gregg Shorthand for Colleges and the Gregg shorthand dictionary. I took shorthand in college and in high school, it is a dying art , however, it helped me a great deal on my last job. I was responsible for taking department notes. It is an excellent skill to have along with Word, Excel and Access, you will use all these software programs in today's workplace. You can get the books at Amazon.com. Practice, practice, practice (did I say practice?) Good Luck!

Agreed!

Nadia Fuller in Roseville, Michigan

13 months ago

I agree. Practice is what is necessary to update your skills. I had Gregg Shorthand also in high school and did very well but have not used it since. I still remember some of the basics but I know if I had to get a job using it I would have to get a book and refresh myself and practice.

13 months ago

I am planning to learn Teeline shorthand learned some of myself from a Harry Butler "Teeline Made Simple" book it replaced Pitman as it is far easier to learn, even pitman training school in UK now teach this instead. But you can just as easily teach yourself. Go to ebay I have bought the books from there for just a couple of pounds each.

There are still areas where shorthand is MUST. Journalists for instance especially court reporters in UK they are not allowed to audio or video record proceedings and must use shorthand. Some county or small parish councils still prefer their meeting notes to be transcribed using shorthand. If you are learning a new job that takes weeks to learn then taking down the info in this way is very helpful.

Think of shorthand as another way of providing a service for those who prefer it, you could do it self employed basis and make a bit of money out of it for yourself.

As for using a recording device they do fail, batteries could fail or you could run out of space it's more suitable as a back up device. Shorthand has many uses, if you are able tolerance it then do it.

13 months ago

lorr1e1 in South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom said: I am planning to learn Teeline shorthand learned some of myself from a Harry Butler "Teeline Made Simple" book it replaced Pitman as it is far easier to learn, even pitman training school in UK now teach this instead. But you can just as easily teach yourself. Go to ebay I have bought the books from there for just a couple of pounds each.

There are still areas where shorthand is MUST. Journalists for instance especially court reporters in UK they are not allowed to audio or video record proceedings and must use shorthand. Some county or small parish councils still prefer their meeting notes to be transcribed using shorthand. If you are learning a new job that takes weeks to learn then taking down the info in this way is very helpful.

Think of shorthand as another way of providing a service for those who prefer it, you could do it self employed basis and make a bit of money out of it for yourself.

As for using a recording device they do fail, batteries could fail or you could run out of space it's more suitable as a back up device. Shorthand has many uses, if you are able tolerance it then do it.

Sorry, I typed this message from my mobile.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.